2011-2012 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will MCG look and consider a letter of indent or is it a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Will MCG look and consider a letter of indent or is it a waste of time?

I have no idea, if you find out about the letter of intent, can you let me know?

I do know that apparently my file is still under review although I was complete literally two days after the secondary went out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea, if you find out about the letter of intent, can you let me know?

I do know that apparently my file is still under review although I was complete literally two days after the secondary went out.

Have you called them to make sure your file is complete?

Have you called them to make sure your file is complete?

Yup, it was complete on Jun 18 2011. Says so on the website and I confirmed it with admissions on Monday. The fact that I'm seeing so many interviews come up from the school is driving me nuts but they claim I am still under review. They also claim they don't do silent rejections.

Yup, it was complete on Jun 18 2011. Says so on the website and I confirmed it with admissions on Monday. The fact that I'm seeing so many interviews come up from the school is driving me nuts but they claim I am still under review. They also claim they don't do silent rejections.

I sure hope not. I've been complete for a month and am starting to get worried. I don't get how some people get interviews a week after submitting. :confused:

I sure hope not. I've been complete for a month and am starting to get worried. I don't get how some people get interviews a week after submitting. :confused:

I only had one school do that (ten days from submission to II), but that was GA PCOM. If I get accepted there, I have to let them know I will or will not be attending by like Dec 15. MCG is my top choice and I see when some of their interview slots are already filling up!

Interviewing 12/2 also!!! Good luck!!!

Interviewing 12/2 as well!! Best wishes to us all!!!

For those still wondering...My secondary was submitted 8/17 but my AMCAS wasn't verified until 9/12. I received my interview invite 10/10.

A 3.5/26 may get you an interview. It's not a guarantee though. You need to take that MCAT a second time if you already haven't. A 30 is what you should be working to get to stand a realistic chance of an acceptance. I think last year's class average was a 3.7+ and a ~31.

A 3.5/26 may get you an interview. It's not a guarantee though. You need to take that MCAT a second time if you already haven't. A 30 is what you should be working to get to stand a realistic chance of an acceptance. I think last year's class average was a 3.7+ and a ~31.

When I asked in March-April as to if I had a "snowball's chance", they said non-trads with my scores are usually interviewed and they were almost always interviewed if they had certain ECs (all of which I had to an extreme but they did not know that). I am beginning to think they said it to be nice. I do know trad students with my stats who were interviewed as that is killing me even more.

Apparently my MCAT is considered to be a 27Q by them right now (which I am working on) and my more recent GPAs are supposed to be the focus given how old most of my courses are. Since I started college early, I have college credits literally older than a few of the people on this forum. *Sigh*

Just got an II, scheduled for 12/14. Anyone else interviewing this day?

Also here are my dates if any of you are still waiting

ss 9/18
verified 9/29
II 10/21

When I asked in March-April as to if I had a "snowball's chance", they said non-trads with my scores are usually interviewed and they were almost always interviewed if they had certain ECs (all of which I had to an extreme but they did not know that). I am beginning to think they said it to be nice. I do know trad students with my stats who were interviewed as that is killing me even more.

Apparently my MCAT is considered to be a 27Q by them right now (which I am working on) and my more recent GPAs are supposed to be the focus given how old most of my courses are. Since I started college early, I have college credits literally older than a few of the people on this forum. *Sigh*

Just letting you know that it's not going to be easy. The #1 predictor for board exams is the MCAT, and yours is well below the average. Several committee members shy away from non-traditional students as well, so you need to bring a good package. Take the MCAT again and get over a 30 to have a better chance. Good luck this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a bit nervous...

In state, 3.6 GPA, 41 MCAT:

Amcas submitted 9/1
Secondary recieved 9/6
Secondary submitted 9/13
AMCAS verified 9/28

...no word so far.

Any body know why I haven't received an interview?

In state resident 33R MCAT 3.8 GPA and extremely diverse and good extracurriculars.

This just seems a little odd that I have heard nothing.......does anybody have any idea as to why? Should I call admissions?

Getting a bit nervous...

In state, 3.6 GPA, 41 MCAT:

Amcas submitted 9/1
Secondary recieved 9/6
Secondary submitted 9/13
AMCAS verified 9/28

...no word so far.

Any body know why I haven't received an interview?

In state resident 33R MCAT 3.8 GPA and extremely diverse and good extracurriculars.

This just seems a little odd that I have heard nothing.......does anybody have any idea as to why? Should I call admissions?

It's October...

Got my II two weeks ago. Anyone interviewing Nov. 11?

my timeline if it helps anyone:
AMCAS processed: 8/29
secondary complete: 9/16
ii: 10/10

in-state applicant, 3.9, 31Q

In reply to Missions740, sadly it just takes time.

Your application first gets reviewed by 3 committee members and if you do not get at least 2/3 vote for an interview then your app gets put on hold for another review.

3.5 GPA (but good gpa trends) / 33L / in-state URM / research experience + shadowing + clinical volunteering

Secondary was in on 8/30, but I wasn't verified until 9/17. My second MCAT score didn't arrive until 10/11 (I indicated I was re-taking on Sept 8th because my first score was a 28). Got an interview invitation on 10/31 for 1/13.

:D

Good luck to everybody!

Did anyone who has completed a secondary (but hasn't received an interview) get a reminder email today about the secondary app deadline? I'm a little confused because all my stuff is showing up on the website. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not I should call. Over-analyzing stuff is a fun hobby of mine :rolleyes:

Did anyone who has completed a secondary (but hasn't received an interview) get a reminder email today about the secondary app deadline? I'm a little confused because all my stuff is showing up on the website. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not I should call. Over-analyzing stuff is a fun hobby of mine :rolleyes:

I called. They said it was sent to everyone.

What an emotional trip, though.

"INBOX: [email protected]"

Me: :scared::claps::cool:

"SUBJECT: December 1 Deadline"
"This is a reminder...."

Me after: :mad::rolleyes::boom:

I submitted secondary 10/11.
Still doesn't say complete.
should i contact them?

Just had my interview yesterday. It was a very stress free environment. Also, my interviewer said they should be sending out more acceptance letters after Nov 17 :laugh: Good luck everyone...

Just had my interview yesterday. It was a very stress free environment. Also, my interviewer said they should be sending out more acceptance letters after Nov 17 :laugh: Good luck everyone...

They just sent out ED acceptances this week. I don't think they've sent any regular decision acceptances yet. Am I wrong?

I am going to assume that Nov. 17 is the first day they will do that, unless someone tells me otherwise.

They just sent out ED acceptances this week. I don't think they've sent any regular decision acceptances yet. Am I wrong?

I am going to assume that Nov. 17 is the first day they will do that, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Yea you are wrong. They have to notify ED applicants by 10/1

Interviewed last week and she was 100% clear on the timeline & process.

They review applicants weekly in the order they were interviewed.

Then once a month (11/17) they meet and make final decisions on the files that have been reviewed. Depending on how fast the weekly discussions go that will decide how many decisions go out.

This month they will notify on the 18th she said. If you don't hear then it will be late Dec before the next batch of notices.

Long time listener, first time caller. ;)

Interviewing here 12/7. Anyone else on the roster for that day? I'm incredibly excited!

Just out of curiosity, how late does their interview season run? Is a December interview considered early, in the middle, or late?

Interviewing here 12/7. Anyone else on the roster for that day? I'm incredibly excited!

Just out of curiosity, how late does their interview season run? Is a December interview considered early, in the middle, or late?

I think she told us during our interview that they go till March, and they try not to fill up all 230 seats before then. Good luck :thumbup:

How long ago did you get the II if you don't mind me asking? Mostly just curious about which dates are left for a friend still waiting to hear back from them.

Interviewed last week and she was 100% clear on the timeline & process.

They review applicants weekly in the order they were interviewed.

Then once a month (11/17) they meet and make final decisions on the files that have been reviewed. Depending on how fast the weekly discussions go that will decide how many decisions go out.

This month they will notify on the 18th she said. If you don't hear then it will be late Dec before the next batch of notices.

Yeah that is what my interviewer said too. Basically if you have already interviewed, you should hear something before Christmas. Hopefully!!! Also for anyone that has not already interviewed, they have only filled about ~37 spots so far.

Could everyone who applied list their stats: gpa, science gpa, extracurriculars, mcat scores, degree obtained. Also, I'm trying to get at least a 30 on my MCAT, how did you guys study for it>? As I will be taking it in a few months and MCG is my first choice.

Could everyone who applied list their stats: gpa, science gpa, extracurriculars, mcat scores, degree obtained. Also, I'm trying to get at least a 30 on my MCAT, how did you guys study for it>? As I will be taking it in a few months and MCG is my first choice.

Don't you think that's just a little much? Seriously though. Get the best GPA and MCAT that you can muster and find something that you are passionate about to volunteer with. Leadership never hurt either.

MCAT gold = Kaplan classes + actually studying for the test. It's not impossible and you really only need a 30 or so to have a good chance of getting in (assuming you have over a 3.5 and good science scores).

Cenwean
UGA
3.63/3.75
31Q (10,10, 11)
President of X, Y, Z. Volunteered teaching blind squirrels to find nuts.
Triple major Biochem, Biology, and Animal biology
706-352-8677
9 East Street, Athens, GA 30704
Cancer sign
Loves romantic walks and feeding blind squirrels on remote islands

See what I mean? :)

Don't you think that's just a little much? Seriously though. Get the best GPA and MCAT that you can muster and find something that you are passionate about to volunteer with. Leadership never hurt either.

MCAT gold = Kaplan classes + actually studying for the test. It's not impossible and you really only need a 30 or so to have a good chance of getting in (assuming you have over a 3.5 and good science scores).

Cenwean
UGA
3.63/3.75
31Q (10,10, 11)
President of X, Y, Z. Volunteered teaching blind squirrels to find nuts.
Triple major Biochem, Biology, and Animal biology
706-352-8677
9 East Street, Athens, GA 30704
Cancer sign
Loves romantic walks and feeding blind squirrels on remote islands

See what I mean? :)
Yes I see. I have alot of extracurriculars and my gpa is not that high which is what worries me. It's a 3.5 and I'm worried about the MCAT which I plan on taking in March. I started studying for it recently but I don't know if it's enough time for preparation for the exam.

Yes I see. I have alot of extracurriculars and my gpa is not that high which is what worries me. It's a 3.5 and I'm worried about the MCAT which I plan on taking in March. I started studying for it recently but I don't know if it's enough time for preparation for the exam.

5 months for the MCAT? You don't even need a month of studying to do very well on that test. The gold is in the effort that you put into each course that is relevant, and not how much time you spend studying for it. If you're really worried about it then take the summer off to study for the MCAT.

AVG score for MCG matriculant: 3.7/31

Sooo I thought I was screened out of getting a secondary but I JUST received my secondary invite after I've been verified by amcas since the beginning I October. Is it worth applying this late?

Sooo I thought I was screened out of getting a secondary but I JUST received my secondary invite after I've been verified by amcas since the beginning I October. Is it worth applying this late?

I would because they still have a lot of open spaces.

I would. They said specifically at their interview that they don't fill up all of the spots until the end of interview season, so there shouldn't be a reason not to submit it now.

To all that have interviewed already, how have you sent thank you notes? Snail mail? The stdadmin email address?

First meeting for Regular Decision was supposedly yesterday, and since I was interviewed mid-October, I think my file was probably reviewed. I don't know if they send acceptances by e-mail or regular mail.

Anyone else who is expecting to hear from yesterday's meeting, do me a favor and post here, and good luck!

I was interviewed mid-October as well. Hopefully, we'll hear from them soon. :)

Good luck to those who are waiting!

First meeting for Regular Decision was supposedly yesterday, and since I was interviewed mid-October, I think my file was probably reviewed. I don't know if they send acceptances by e-mail or regular mail.

Anyone else who is expecting to hear from yesterday's meeting, do me a favor and post here, and good luck!

They notify by email, and you get a letter packet in the mail like a week later. Hope you guys hear good news today

Got this at 11:32am:

"I hope you enjoyed your interview day at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University. The Committee will continue to assess your application within the context of the overall competitiveness of the total applicant pool. A final decision regarding your admissions status (acceptance; placement on the alternate list; or that your file can no longer be considered) will be made no later than April 2012.

Please do not hesitate to call me or *** if we can be of further assistance. Thank you for your interest in the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University."

I have to say I am confused. They reviewed my application and didn't make a decision? Or is this a mistake e-mail?

Got this at 11:32am:

"I hope you enjoyed your interview day at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University. The Committee will continue to assess your application within the context of the overall competitiveness of the total applicant pool. A final decision regarding your admissions status (acceptance; placement on the alternate list; or that your file can no longer be considered) will be made no later than April 2012.

Please do not hesitate to call me or *** if we can be of further assistance. Thank you for your interest in the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University."

I have to say I am confused. They reviewed my application and didn't make a decision? Or is this a mistake e-mail?

You could always call and ask. I'm sure they'd be helpful in giving you a straighter answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.