2013-2014 Texas Tech - El Paso Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1
"The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions."
Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

Question 2
Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Question3
The TTUSHC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities."
Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Question 4
Please describe any personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Questions 2 and 4 mention that if they do not apply, indicate. What does everybody think- are they really optional, or is it important to write something?

Questions 2 and 4 mention that if they do not apply, indicate. What does everybody think- are they really optional, or is it important to write something?
I am responding to all four. Kind of a pain.

Members don't see this ad :)

I dont think you should fill out the disadvantage if you wouldnt indicate that on your TMDSAS..

Also, I didnt fill out the influence one because I didnt want them to think I had undue pressure forcing me to medicine. It was something I decided upon on my own.

I dont think you should fill out the disadvantage if you wouldnt indicate that on your TMDSAS..

Also, I didnt fill out the influence one because I didnt want them to think I had undue pressure forcing me to medicine. It was something I decided upon on my own.
I usually avoid the disadvantage questions too, but that one included "experiences." I wrote that I had no disadvantages and talked about an experience instead. Problem is that describing an "experience" can easily turn into just an addendum to your personal statement.

For the second, you have a good point about wanting to avoid the pressuring issue. I thought likewise and was careful to write about how a doctor just "inspired" me to consider medicine.

I usually avoid the disadvantage questions too, but that one included "experiences." I wrote that I had no disadvantages and talked about an experience instead. Problem is that describing an "experience" can easily turn into just an addendum to your personal statement.

For the second, you have a good point about wanting to avoid the pressuring issue. I thought likewise and was careful to write about how a doctor just "inspired" me to consider medicine.

Another reason I swayed away from those two is that its the general consensus that you shouldnt reiterate your PS and I spoke of both those things in my PS. But if you havent done that, then I think its reasonable to use those essay blocks.

What's the overall reputation of this school among other programs as you understand it? Can any current students give more info on the development of the curriculum? What could still stand to be changed/improved? And where do most students live in El Paso? Thanks!

What's the overall reputation of this school among other programs as you understand it?

Seeing as Paul Foster just graduated its first class this year, it will be a while before the school has a reputation to work off of (in terms of how other medical professionals / residency directors view the program).

What's the overall reputation of this school among other programs as you understand it? Can any current students give more info on the development of the curriculum? What could still stand to be changed/improved? And where do most students live in El Paso? Thanks!

Match list for class of 2013: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/elpaso/newsevents/documents/plfsom_class2013_matchday_results.pdf

Curriculum: Integrative system-based curriculum presented in weekly "clinical scheme" presentations. Instead of taking separate concentrated courses in biochemistry, histology, microbiology, etc., you learn the clinical application of these disciplines in the context of a clinical presentation. This curriculum is geared toward making you think clinically from the first day, rather than the second year. Our class average for Step I in 2011 was a 226 with a 98% pass rate. The average in 2012 was 230 with a 100% pass rate. While success on Step I is largely dependent on individual effort, TTUHSC-El Paso's scores are the same, if not slightly higher, than other Texas schools considered in the same 'tier', and this is in part of a our curriculum that is very receptive to student suggestions. Changes are occurring every year in order to improve the curriculum.

Living: Most students live on the west side of El Paso, which is next to UTEP and has more of that college-town atmosphere to it. The newer housing options are on the west side as well.

What's your favorite thing to do in El Paso outside of school?

What's your favorite thing to do in El Paso outside of school?

Franklin Mountains National Park has a set of great trails for hiking. In general, El Paso has a lot to offer if you enjoy the outdoors. I personally enjoy participating in our soccer league and weekly basketball.

I would say El Paso has everything you'd expect a city of 700,000+ to have; numerous shopping malls, outlet malls, movie theaters (an Alamo Drafthouse being constructed), and many great restaurants. There are two popular bars we like to go to on weekends or after test weeks.

Just submitted my secondary to this school. I am officially done with all the Texas MD secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol i submitted mine on 5/1... cant get earlier than that. :oops:

Haha true! But maybe they wait for MCAT scores and letters of rec too? That would be strange that you haven't received their confirmation when you sent it in so early.

Haha true! But maybe they wait for MCAT scores and letters of rec too? That would be strange that you haven't received their confirmation when you sent it in so early.

Its probably my LORs. they were sent out yesterday..

Waiting on TTEP, TTUHSC and UTH.

I just got an invite too!

Last edited:
Congrats to you two! When did all of your stuff go through?

Congrats!

I hope it doesn't take too long for them to update my app after I get/release my MCAT scores tomorrow.

Same here, I don't think I'll even be considered until my scores are back on the 23rd...

Wow, super early for interview invites. Congrats!

All I got is Dartmouth secondary invite. I care more about you El Paso!

Yes congrats! I hope they all didnt go out this morning. Hopefully they will send more this week.

Yes congrats! I hope they all didnt go out this morning. Hopefully they will send more this week.

I hope so as well!

I got the email about them receiving my AMCAS on 5/29 and submitted my secondary around that same time. 4.0/38 here, so I'm thinking they either haven't yet looked at my app, or they didn't like my essays/ECs. I'm very much crossing my fingers for the former.

Congratulation yall! Can you guys say when you were completed?

I hope so as well!

I got the email about them receiving my AMCAS on 5/29 and submitted my secondary around that same time. 4.0/38 here, so I'm thinking they either haven't yet looked at my app, or they didn't like my essays/ECs. I'm very much crossing my fingers for the former.

I suspect it is then likely the former. Sounds like those who got calls were completed like mid may. My complete date was more like mid June. I just hope we don't have to wait too long.

I hope so as well!

I suspect it is then likely the former. Sounds like those who got calls were completed like mid may. My complete date was more like mid June. I just hope we don't have to wait too long.

dont worry too much, I was completed 5/1 primary 5/30 secondary ( forgot to hit the submit button on 5/5 :()

I'm sure we will hear something soon.

Congrats to you all! WHY DID I SUBMIT SO LATE DAMN IT

Also, keep in mind El Paso has one of the lowest GPA/MCAT averages in the state (3.6/29). So it's foolish to ask someone "what were your stats?" when they get an interview invite. El Paso doesn't care about numbers all that much. Be patient!

Gandalf - have you gotten the confirmation email from TT-El Paso yet?

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind El Paso has one of the lowest GPA/MCAT averages in the state (3.6/29). So it's foolish to ask someone "what were your stats?" when they get an interview invite. El Paso doesn't care about numbers all that much. Be patient!

Nope. I called them today. They verified that my application is indeed complete.
I asked them about not receiving the e-mail. They mentioned that the e-mail is sent automatically as your application is downloaded, but some mail servers such as yahoo and gmail block these as either spam or junk mail.

Oh well..

Nope. I called them today. They verified that my application is indeed complete.
I asked them about not receiving the e-mail. They mentioned that the e-mail is sent automatically as your application is downloaded, but some mail servers such as yahoo and gmail block these as either spam or junk mail.

Oh well..

I also called.

They said my application is complete, but also said they don't send out any confirmation emails. Weird...

Foolish? Thanks.

I hope so as well!

Could also be that they think youre gonna go elsewhere with your stats and dont want to waste their time on you! :laugh:

Could also be that they think youre gonna go elsewhere with your stats and dont want to waste their time on you! :laugh:

Naw I don't think so. TCOM has given IIs to applicants that have MD-competitive stats.