2013-2014 Texas Tech - El Paso Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know if you got waitlisted or rejected? I match to my number 2 but El Paso is my number 1.

Matched here to Texas Tech-El Paso!! So awesome!! I feel extremely blessed and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Matched! Hello, my future classmates :)

Reactions: 2 users
Matched here to Texas Tech-El Paso!! So awesome!! I feel extremely blessed and I look forward to meeting all of you!
Congrats! We interviewed the same day... Think I talked to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone who matched! I matched here as well and LOVED El Paso! It's going to be a tough decision between this school and an out-of-state one. Looking forward to meeting everyone :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Last edited:
Did not match. Any news on waitlist/alternate list? Do they wait until a certain date to notify? And if I am fortunate enough to be on the waitlist when can we expect movement? Last year's thread shows movement around May but do they wait until then or do rolling acceptance (as and when people withdraw)? Finally what steps can I take to strengthen my case? write LOIs, show recent accomplishments etc. ( Too many questions but it is a nerve wracking time :()

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did not match. Any news on waitlist/alternate list? Do they wait until a certain date to notify? And if I am fortunate enough to be on the waitlist when can we expect movement? Last year's thread shows movement around May but do they wait until then or do rolling acceptance (as and when people withdraw)? Finally what steps can I take to strengthen my case? write LOIs, show recent accomplishments etc. ( Too many questions but it is a nerve wracking time :()

I'd wait till you receive an email regarding your status, which should be soon, I'd bet. And unless the email tells your not to, go ahead and send in a LOI. Why not? It shows interest and initiative.

just fyi about the status change - I prematched here and my status changed to "you have declined your offer of admission" on the night before match day. I ended up matching to a school I ranked higher :).

So what types of laptops and tablets are recommended for students by PLFSOM?

Hello Class of 2018! Congratulations to everyone! I'm really excited to have matched here. I was just wondering, what are all the things we have to do to accept the offer? I already accepted it through Merlin and my packet is on its way. So I will return that as soon as I get it. Anything else we have to do? Thanks!

Have waitlist emails/letters been sent out yet?

Alternate list here

Last edited:
So some people flat our got rejected and others are alternates? How does that work? Is the wait list selective or what?

To any current PLFSOM students: I'm looking at laptops to buy, and I have a question.

Does it matter if your computer has Windows 8 or is a MacBook?

I just want to make sure my new computer will work with any proprietary testing software, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

To any current PLFSOM students: I'm looking at laptops to buy, and I have a question.

Does it matter if your computer has Windows 8 or is a MacBook?

I just want to make sure my new computer will work with any proprietary testing software, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

The class of 2017 has a pretty even spread of people using Windows 7, 8, and Mac OSX. All testing is done through the school's dedicated testing center. As far as I'm aware, we don't have any required software that is specific to any one operating system. Many of the students find the Windows-only note taking program OneNote to be the most useful and therefore choose to use a PC or Bootcamp/Parallels to run Windows on their Mac.

The class of 2017 has a pretty even spread of people using Windows 7, 8, and Mac OSX. All testing is done through the school's dedicated testing center. As far as I'm aware, we don't have any required software that is specific to any one operating system. Many of the students find the Windows-only note taking program OneNote to be the most useful and therefore choose to use a PC or Bootcamp/Parallels to run Windows on their Mac.
Thank you so much for the information! :happy:

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist / or know when this may occur?

Go accepted off the waitlist last Monday and just forgot to post here. However, I just got off the waitlist at Houston yesterday and will be going there instead.

I hope I gave the admissions office enough time for them to pull one of you off their waitlist before the June 1st deadline.

Good luck everyone!

Go accepted off the waitlist last Monday and just forgot to post here. However, I just got off the waitlist at Houston yesterday and will be going there instead.

I hope I gave the admissions office enough time for them to pull one of you off their waitlist before the June 1st deadline.

Good luck everyone!

Hi, quick question did you write a letter of intent? Do you recommend writing one?