You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 Texas Tech Lubbock
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
happyplace333
Full Member
+1 IS II!!!! thanksgiving present!
Congrats! When were u complete?+1 IS II!!!! thanksgiving present!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
happyplace333
Full Member
5/24Congrats! When were u complete?
Wow. Super early. So that does really lend credence to the idea that they continuously review applications through the entire process and re-review them and not just the new ones that come in.5/24
ilovecats13
Full Member
Anyone know if they accept letters of intent? I couldn’t find anything online regarding it and I don’t remember them mentioning anything during the interview. Thanks!
resignedwhale
Full Member
+1 IS II
Secondary Complete 9/29
LM 70
Secondary Complete 9/29
LM 70
Wondering the same thing...Anyone know if they accept letters of intent? I couldn’t find anything online regarding it and I don’t remember them mentioning anything during the interview. Thanks!
This school will read your followup letters, and if you end up on their WL after Match Day you can send another one thenAnyone know if they accept letters of intent? I couldn’t find anything online regarding it and I don’t remember them mentioning anything during the interview. Thanks!
Hey guys, have most of the people who have interviewed heard back? Or will we be waiting till match day?
I agree with @TopCantaloupe—we'll most likely know on Match Day. And just to add reference, I interviewed in early Aug and haven't heard anything yet lol.They aren't heavy on prematches. Most people get their admission to TTUHSC through Match Day.
+1 IS II just this morning!
Secondary submitted 10/1
Absolutely flabbergasted, I thought my cycle was over. Texas Tech was the very last secondary I submitted before I burnt out completely 😂
LM 80
Secondary submitted 10/1
Absolutely flabbergasted, I thought my cycle was over. Texas Tech was the very last secondary I submitted before I burnt out completely 😂
LM 80
Just interviewed yesterday. I have to rank Interview Day as Costco Churro Level (aka Top Tier). I'm excited for anyone with an upcoming interview.
Shoutout to the 12/05 interviewees yesterday! 🎄
Shoutout to the 12/05 interviewees yesterday! 🎄
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
happyplace333
Full Member
is there any student attending this school willing to answer any questions?
Noebliss
Full Member
I’m not sure if she’s on here but @medwmeg on IG is a student ambassador for the school and was there on my interview day. She was awesome and brought some great vibes. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind answering questions if you reached out to her there 🙂is there any student attending this school willing to answer any questions?
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
Current student here. Happy to answer questions. Just post on this forum and tag me or reply to this comment.is there any student attending this school willing to answer any questions?
happyplace333
Full Member
does tech limit the # of students who can honor their clinical rotations?Current student here. Happy to answer questions. Just post on this forum and tag me or reply to this comment.
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
The first two years are completely P/F. For MS3, you have to score a certain number of points on a combination of a standardized exam, clinical evaluations from faculty/residents, and a simulated patient encounter. That is roughly at the 80th percentile, but you can score lower than the 80th percentile on one part (like the national exam) and still honor if you do better than the 80th percentile on another part (like evaluations). In other words, there is no artificial cap on the number of people that can honor, but it should fall around 20% because only 20% will be above the 80th percentile. All of this is relative to national (not school) performance, so you're not even directly competing against your own classmates.does tech limit the # of students who can honor their clinical rotations?
The policy is spelled out in more detail here in 30.01.
Last edited:
Stargirl9865432
Full Member
Should there be more prematches soon?
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
Anatomy is the first class you will start with. It has 3 unit exams and 1 cumulative final. The unit exams are written exclusively by faculty, so most students prefer to watch lectures for those units. For MS1 blocks (courses) after that, unit exams are written by faculty or are from a national question bank (NBME). For units like anatomy, I preferred watching lectures. After that, I found third-party resources (Boards and Beyond, Sketchy, etc.) to be much faster at teaching me the content I needed to know. The school pays for all of these third-party resources. For that reason I (and large parts of my class) chose to not watch lectures at all after anatomy or MS1. (All MS2 courses have exams solely from the NBME, so you don't have to watch lectures and get tiny details that our faculty focus on. Third-party stuff is shorter and more than enough.)When I went for Preview Day, they told us that all lectures are recorded and lecture attendance is optional. I wanted to ask if you prefer watching the recording or attending the lecture, and why? Thanks for taking the time to talk to us!
I'd guess that about 10% of our class regularly watched lectures in person. One guy I studied with said it helped him stay focused and not get distracted, but I'd always get bored in lectures. I'd rather be able to watch it sped up and pause/rewind as necessary to get clarification. The fact that the school gives you this flexibility is very nice and something you should definitely consider regardless of where you decide to attend medical school.
I'd say that about 90% of lectures are recorded. Sometimes, they will make you attend a specific lecture in person (such as a presentation from a clinical faculty member who is talking about liver diseases). While the vast majority of your time in M1/M2 is at your own schedule in a given day, there are usually 2-4 hours of lectures, workshops, or other sessions that are live/mandatory.
tmdsashopeful
Full Member
are interviews for this school still going out?
huskypremed
Full Member
Pre-II R
Pre- II rejection !😀
TheApple'sCore01
Full Member
Pre-II R (IS) :\
I think they may have made it through their planned number of interviews earlier this year.Looks like Pre-II Rs are being sent earlier this year. No one reported Pre-II Rs in last cycle's thread until January 21st.
For those who didn't hear about it or didn't apply last cycle, TTU had a systemwide IT outage which lasted for over a month, making it impossible to communicate with applicants or run interviews until the problem was resolved.
Pre-II R, IS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 IS Pre-II R
chillstill
Full Member
Waveswhat happens if you have not had a IS pre-II R at this time? Or do they come in waves?
Waves
This reminds me I need to watch interstellar againView attachment 412980 Those aren't mountains. Those are Pre-II Rs. Been glad knowing yall. Good luck on the remainder of your admissions journey. You will get in. Some say its impossible, but for us it's necessary.
futuredocm13
Full Member
Is there a dress code for preview day? Did most people wear suits?
ris4
Full Member
No it was casual dressIs there a dress code for preview day? Did most people wear suits?
Stargirl9865432
Full Member
When do they send more info, the schedule, etc.?No it was casual dress
ris4
Full Member
2 weeks before the preview day!When do they send more info, the schedule, etc.?
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
If you end up going here, please don't buy 90% of the crap that the school says is required or highly recommended for MS1s. It is a waste of money. They'll tell you to buy a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, eye chart/pen light, and textbook and recommend a reflex hammer, tuning forks, ophthalmoscope, and otoscope.
The alumni organization will give all incoming students a pretty good stethoscope and set of scrubs just before school starts at a welcome party. You can obviously buy your own if you want but you can just use that stethoscope. I recommend using those scrubs for anatomy since they will get gross, and you will want to throw them away afterward. (Don't ruin a pair of Figs in anatomy!) You will need a cheap blood pressure cuff, but you'll only use it like 3 times, so don't worry about it being nice After MS1, you'll use actual stuff in the clinic or nurses will take all the vitals for you. All the exam rooms you work in will have a pen light/ophthalmoscope/otoscope, so you don't need to buy your own. I've never needed to use a reflex hammer that I couldn't just use the side of my stethoscope for instead. Tuning forks are provided if needed. The book is available for free online through the library.
You do NOT need to buy any textbooks or really do much of anything aside from check your emails from student affairs. They will have you fill out forms like what campus you want to be on, prove that you're immunized, etc. If you have time off now, enjoy it because you'll get pretty busy from here on out!
There is absolutely ZERO need to prestudy, but I would recommend that you get familiar with Anki if you didn't use it for the MCAT. They'll provide an Anki deck for anatomy, but everything after that is through AnKing V12. I'd recommend you download that and poke around a little bit. Buy yourself an Anki remote and get yourself set up to be able to hit the ground running. 🙂
The alumni organization will give all incoming students a pretty good stethoscope and set of scrubs just before school starts at a welcome party. You can obviously buy your own if you want but you can just use that stethoscope. I recommend using those scrubs for anatomy since they will get gross, and you will want to throw them away afterward. (Don't ruin a pair of Figs in anatomy!) You will need a cheap blood pressure cuff, but you'll only use it like 3 times, so don't worry about it being nice After MS1, you'll use actual stuff in the clinic or nurses will take all the vitals for you. All the exam rooms you work in will have a pen light/ophthalmoscope/otoscope, so you don't need to buy your own. I've never needed to use a reflex hammer that I couldn't just use the side of my stethoscope for instead. Tuning forks are provided if needed. The book is available for free online through the library.
You do NOT need to buy any textbooks or really do much of anything aside from check your emails from student affairs. They will have you fill out forms like what campus you want to be on, prove that you're immunized, etc. If you have time off now, enjoy it because you'll get pretty busy from here on out!
There is absolutely ZERO need to prestudy, but I would recommend that you get familiar with Anki if you didn't use it for the MCAT. They'll provide an Anki deck for anatomy, but everything after that is through AnKing V12. I'd recommend you download that and poke around a little bit. Buy yourself an Anki remote and get yourself set up to be able to hit the ground running. 🙂
Last edited:
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
You likely won't get your FA package until after the match. It can vary significantly. I've heard of students getting the usual MD/PhD full-ride, but I've also heard of a select few classmates getting $15k/year without being in any dual-degree programs. My personal offer has been about $5k/year on average. It's not a lot, but when you consider that is $20k/~$90k for the overall tuition (for all 4 years combined), HSC is cheap. I think the average is closer to the range of $1-2k/year, but some will get none and a few will get way more. Large parts of it is based on need.Hey does anybody know what financial aid/scholarship opportunities are like at Tech? I'm also wondering when they typically announce financial aid packages. Thanks in advance!!
Paring that with the low cost of living in Lubbock and our students graduate with debt that is well below the national average. The last official statistic I heard from the school was an average of about $130k but that was several years ago.
This is super helpful information! Thank you! Do they send out a scholarship application after the match or is FAFSA usually enough??You likely won't get your FA package until after the match. It can vary significantly. I've heard of students getting the usual MD/PhD full-ride, but I've also heard of a select few classmates getting $15k/year without being in any dual-degree programs. My personal offer has been about $5k/year on average. It's not a lot, but when you consider that is $20k/~$90k for the overall tuition (for all 4 years combined), HSC is cheap. I think the average is closer to the range of $1-2k/year, but some will get none and a few will get way more. Large parts of it is based on need.
Paring that with the low cost of living in Lubbock and our students graduate with debt that is well below the national average. The last official statistic I heard from the school was an average of about $130k but that was several years ago.
PagingDrDisco
Full Member
Pre-interview R 12/15
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
They send out a scholarship application in Marchish of each year. It is insanely basic information/easy to fill out. It feels a lot like the secondary. A couple of yes/no questionslike where you grew up, if you're a veteran, if you interested in rural or other areas of healthcare, why you would benefit from a scholarship, etc. Just looking at an old application of mine and it was less than two pages.This is super helpful information! Thank you! Do they send out a scholarship application after the match or is FAFSA usually enough??
This application is one of the things admissions/student affairs will email you about after match, so it is super important to be looking out for those emails!
futuredocm13
Full Member
Basically a month away from match day! I'm so nervous 😭
Good luck!Basically a month away from match day! I'm so nervous 😭
LordOfTheSpacebar
Full Member
Just don't be nervous enough to forget to submit your rank list before 5 PM CST on 1/30. 🙂Basically a month away from match day! I'm so nervous 😭