2010-2011 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't the secondary come out 6-23 last year? It seems no one is posting here about Dartmouth and I have heard no word on the secondary. Any thoughts? Maybe I am in the wrong thread.

I'm not sure when it came out last year. But since schools won't even start receiving primaries until 6/25 this year, I wouldn't expect people to have the secondaries just yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought maybe Dartmouth sent theirs out a day or two early, oh well no big deal.

What are the required courses for dartmouth? I can't find that stuff anywhere on the site. I'm assuming it's like most American med schools (I'm Canadian) so the problem is I only have is I only have half a semester of organic chem with lab. I'm wondering if I can supplement that second semester with biochem (without labs), or envirochem (without labs). If no one know does anyone know someone I can e-mail at the admissions office to ask about that?

What are the required courses for dartmouth? I can't find that stuff anywhere on the site. I'm assuming it's like most American med schools (I'm Canadian) so the problem is I only have is I only have half a semester of organic chem with lab. I'm wondering if I can supplement that second semester with biochem (without labs), or envirochem (without labs). If no one know does anyone know someone I can e-mail at the admissions office to ask about that?

From the MSAR:

Inorganic Chem 8 hrs
Biology 8 hrs
Calculus 3 hrs
Organic Chem 8 hrs
Physics 8 hrs

From the MSAR:

Inorganic Chem 8 hrs
Biology 8 hrs
Calculus 3 hrs
Organic Chem 8 hrs
Physics 8 hrs

Thx a lot, and it didn't say anywhere on the MSAR that you can supplement it with something else eh? I'd buy my own MSAR but I am Canadian so I'm not all that sure U.S. schools is a good idea.

Thx a lot, and it didn't say anywhere on the MSAR that you can supplement it with something else eh? I'd buy my own MSAR but I am Canadian so I'm not all that sure U.S. schools is a good idea.

No, it didn't. But I don't think you can substitute something else for the requirement.

Secondary invites yet anyone? They came out June 23 last year, maybe just a little late?

Wow over a week later than last year. Does Dartmouth still exist?

Just got the secondary...

Please indicate your plans for the 2010-11 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

No word counts but the size of the box you can enter in looks to be the limiting factor.... Overall seems pretty straightforward

GL all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got it as well, now maybe someone besides me will post on this thread!

Me too!

For the "not addressed elsewhere" question...do you think they're looking for a motivation for medicine-type answer?

Me too!

For the "not addressed elsewhere" question...do you think they're looking for a motivation for medicine-type answer?

I don't think so.. because all of your strongest motivations should be in your PS. I just think its an opportunity to tell them something about you that you didn't include in your primary

I just got one too. Is it normal to get them without MCAT scores?

Me too!

I used an "overcoming a difficulty" essay and what I learned from it. I agree the motivation for medicine should be in your PS- you could relate whatever you do write about back to medicine though, I sort of did this.

I submitted a few minutes ago, and when you submit you are able to look at a pdf of the application. Everything looks good, except at the end there is a "siganture and date" line, which is blank. My printed name does appear above that though, as well as my AMCAS ID- anyone else seeing this? I obviously could not not sign it by hand..

Just got the Dartmouth secondary..Pretty easy...

For the "not addressed elsewhere", don't talk about medicine!!...Make it about u so that they get to know u and you stand out..Otherwise, it is the same crap..

Dumb question: does everyone get the secondary, or is it after the first round of screening?

Dumb question: does everyone get the secondary, or is it after the first round of screening?

I'm wondering the same thing as I don't have my MCAT scores yet. Though, I have received a secondary.

I can't log into the secondary for some reason... Is no one else having that problem?

Is anyone else able to scroll down beyond the box limits? Or is that just google chrome messing around with the webpage?

Is anyone else able to scroll down beyond the box limits? Or is that just google chrome messing around with the webpage?

I was able to scroll down beyond the box limit.

Are ya'll focusing your second essay on just personal attributes, or how aspects about you are really great for Dartmouth specifically

Are ya'll focusing your second essay on just personal attributes, or how aspects about you are really great for Dartmouth specifically

Personal attributes. I think I'm just going to talk about a hobby that I didn't mention in my primary app.

Personal attributes.

personal attributes+why dartmouth at the end for me, but the why dartmouth part was only like a fourth of the essay

I threw in my diversity essay.

Is it normal to get a secondary before even having AMCAs verify my transcript? It is so weird. I barely submitted and received the secondary automatically from Dartmouth. :(

Is it normal to get a secondary before even having AMCAs verify my transcript? It is so weird. I barely submitted and received the secondary automatically from Dartmouth. :(

I think it's fairly common for some schools. I received one secondary before I was verified...and Dartmouth's shortly after.

Do you guys think it would be better to talk about a hobby such as playing an instrument for this essay or more along the lines of the research one has performed or why Dartmouth is the school for you? Thank you for your suggestions

Do you guys think it would be better to talk about a hobby such as playing an instrument for this essay or more along the lines of the research one has performed or why Dartmouth is the school for you? Thank you for your suggestions

Well...I'm assuming you mentioned research earlier in your app, either in activities or PS?

Though I'm sure you could go either way on this essay, I think it would be better to talk about playing the instrument. It'll help give the adcom a better picture of who you are and why you are unique. Many pre-meds have done research and incorporate it in their apps. Unless you're going for the MD/Ph.D., I would opt not to write about that.

Well...I'm assuming you mentioned research earlier in your app, either in activities or PS?

Though I'm sure you could go either way on this essay, I think it would be better to talk about playing the instrument. It'll help give the adcom a better picture of who you are and why you are unique. Many pre-meds have done research and incorporate it in their apps. Unless you're going for the MD/Ph.D., I would opt not to write about that.

Ya I briefly mentioned it in my AMCAS in the activity listing and gave it a nod in my personal statement, but I was hoping to expand on it. Thanks for your suggestion!

So I'm writing the second essay about the role of athletics in my life and besides mentioning my participation in a club sport in college I was thinking about mentioning how I've lifted weights consistently for 5 years and how its a crucial stress reliever, etc.... what do you guys think should I include this? I don't want it to seem like I'm making something out of nothing but going to the gym has been part of my daily routine for so long it seems worth mentioning...

So I'm writing the second essay about the role of athletics in my life and besides mentioning my participation in a club sport in college I was thinking about mentioning how I've lifted weights consistently for 5 years and how its a crucial stress reliever, etc.... what do you guys think should I include this? I don't want it to seem like I'm making something out of nothing but going to the gym has been part of my daily routine for so long it seems worth mentioning...

In my PS I mentioned distance running. In my opinion, stuff like sports and exercising has huge benefits not only physically but mentally/emotionally as well. Since it's a significant part of your life, I think you should talk about it, as long as you mention how it affects you beyond just getting in shape. It also adds detail about your personality beyond MCAT scores and GPA, which is always good.

post deleted

Last edited:
In my PS I mentioned distance running. In my opinion, stuff like sports and exercising has huge benefits not only physically but mentally/emotionally as well. Since it's a significant part of your life, I think you should talk about it, as long as you mention how it affects you beyond just getting in shape. It also adds detail about your personality beyond MCAT scores and GPA, which is always good.

cool.. thanks! It definitely does more for me than just the physical benefits so I will mention it.

yay for distance running!

Status
Not open for further replies.