2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt:"describe yourself" - 1000 characters

then 160 characters to explain which EC you would want to talk about in an interview

LOR requirements: 2 from professors, should have 1 science (otherwise use committee letter of course)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And just b/c I anticipate people who will have questions about which box to check for the LOR requirements I called them and asked today......

If you do not have a committee letter or official letter service at your college (ie. you are individually using Interfolio) then you can check either "using college letter service" OR list the letters individually....the lady assured me that it really doesnt matter either way and it is not that big of a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
One real essay 1000 characters, "describe yourself"

this is such an open-ended question.. like what am i supposed to write.. 1000 characters worth of adjectives?... this will be tough

this is such an open-ended question.. like what am i supposed to write.. 1000 characters worth of adjectives?... this will be tough
hahaha...well i just submitted and what I did was tell them where I was born, where I grew up. Then I told them a little aboiut my family. Then I told them about my activities during college and how they have prepared me for medicine

With only 1000 characters, you have to be very vague.

hahaha...well i just submitted and what I did was tell them where I was born, where I grew up. Then I told them a little aboiut my family. Then I told them about my activities during college and how they have prepared me for medicine

With only 1000 characters, you have to be very vague.

You are on top of things chubby!! unbelievable

I tried to describe my personality- things like goal oriented, leadership qualities, empathy- and talked about how they tied in with each other.

I just wrote about my hobbies and interests that aren't on AMCAS. I don't like going medically related with those questions, because I feel like they have enough of that, especially with the PS.

Does the status page work for anybody?

I am just a bit nervous about the fact that there was no heading under the list for "top threes" to place non-paid research. I felt like something was missing - Is it just me?

wtf health related community service... I'll only have 1 activity, since that doesn't include volunteer research, shadowing, and volunteering in a radiology lab

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i know bozz. i'm in the same boat. research (if not paid) doesn't fit anywhere....

I figure if you think your research is a big deal to your app. that you could list it under EC's, unless of course you dont have any cool ECs.....but I feel the same way you guys do...it seems kinda limited, I hope they dont just look at that list instead of our whole AMCAS list

Well, now the status page is working but it says they haven't received anything of mine- including payment and the certified secondary.

What gives? Are you all having the same issue?

I'm having the same problem. But when I paid, I did receive an email receipt, so I'm not too worried, especially since I'm not the only one.

I'm having the same problem. But when I paid, I did receive an email receipt, so I'm not too worried, especially since I'm not the only one.

Same problem here :)

has albany received anyone's secondary yet?

My status still says they haven't gotten the online submission.

My AMCAS was verified 2 wks still no secondary from ALBANY? Any suggestion

They only have one annoying Essay Q?

Thanks

My AMCAS was verified 2 wks still no secondary from ALBANY? Any suggestion

They only have one annoying Essay Q?

Thanks
yes.. unless you applied there before...

and its one annoying essay question.. i still cant figure out what to write.. ive written like 3 different versions of "describe yourself" and i dont like any of them

what a stupid question!

I added Albany about 2 weeks ago and haven't received a secondary. Would someone mind posting the link to their login page? Are the username and password something simple and maybe I can access it (ie AMCAS id?)?

Thanks a lot!

-BP

I added Albany about 2 weeks ago and haven't received a secondary. Would someone mind posting the link to their login page? Are the username and password something simple and maybe I can access it (ie AMCAS id?)?

Thanks a lot!

-BP

It is posted above, you cant login without an email from them. I was verifies 7/17 havent gotten an email from them either, which is frustrating since I cant be "early" if they wont send me an email to submit the secondary....

It is posted above, you cant login without an email from them. I was verifies 7/17 havent gotten an email from them either, which is frustrating since I cant be "early" if they wont send me an email to submit the secondary....

I was verified on 7/14 and just got the secondary today. Don't worry. You should be get it soon.

Just got the secondary.

Should we put extracurriculars, employment, etc that is already on our primary...I don't see the point...:scared:

What is unique about Albany?

I hear alot of bad things about this school and the surrounding environment. Of course, these are probably trolls talking about it. :D

yeah I was verified 7/18 and just got the secondary yesterday..don't worry u will get one soon! and hmm I haven't heard anything bad about Albany, but I haven't really searched for anything either

For anybody who has had their letters marked as received, does it say your application is complete also? I had mine marked yesterday, but it still says it's not complete. Just wanted to check before I call them.

It's an excellent question... which is why I cannot figure out what to write either. SIGH

yes.. unless you applied there before...

and its one annoying essay question.. i still cant figure out what to write.. ive written like 3 different versions of "describe yourself" and i dont like any of them

what a stupid question!

For anybody who has had their letters marked as received, does it say your application is complete also? I had mine marked yesterday, but it still says it's not complete. Just wanted to check before I call them.

Just fyi a lot of schools take a bit of time to mark it as complete, definitely not call-worthy imo. UCSF took 2 weeks to go from everything received to complete for me, and I think I was one of the first.

As I recall, last year they only said you were complete when you were actually under review.

Being "early" doesn't seem to be quite as important w/ AMC. Their interview season stretches out into April (maybe May) and they definitely accept people who interview that late without putting them on the wait list. I don't believe that they ever interview just for the wait list (i.e. the class is already full in January so everyone interviewing after that is just trying to rank high on the wait list).

As to the poster who said they heard bad things about Albany, you can probably hear bad things about any school if you talk to the right people, and some people complain about everything. Mostly, it's effing expensive and the facilities don't match your expectations of what you should be getting for the $ (it's an old hospital). Or maybe they hated the rain or winter or humidity.

So does volunteering in a Big brother, big sister program for mentally challenged kids count as health related community service or non health related???

Anybody submit without filling out all of the AMCAS category things? (like, i have no health-related volunteering because i've only done shadowing) ...i have an experience that might fit if i stretch it but it isn't one of my AMCAS activities.

think there is any point in submitting without something in each category?

Anybody submit without filling out all of the AMCAS category things? (like, i have no health-related volunteering because i've only done shadowing) ...i have an experience that might fit if i stretch it but it isn't one of my AMCAS activities.

bump

for those who have applied last year and got an interview, do they really stick to the life experience you mention on the secondary? Or will they talk about other things. Also, how long do they expect you to 'talk' about that life experience?

pooh bear bump... same questions............. also, do you think that NYLF (National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine) would be labeled as a "Life Experience"? What would you guys define as a "Life Experience"? Thanks.

How long is it taking for you guys to have your letters received?

mine still aren't recieved.. what about everyone else. weird.

did everyone only include college activities? I can fill these all out easily if I can include high school, as well haha. what do you think? it says to list activities you did over your lifetime or something...that would include high school? when I say high school, I mean had hundreds of hours in HS for it but didn't continue it into college.

I had to send my letters twice- they are so bad about organization and losing mail. I would call them to see if they even got the letters. I took me about 2 weeks to have my letters confirmed.

ignore this, im doing administrative stuff

Ugh, I sent my LOR in 18 days ago, but the status still says not received.

Anyone have their number? Im going to give them a taste of my fury...

Status
Not open for further replies.