2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone actually get an invite foir intevriew if so please state ur stats as I dont want to waste $$$$ for a rejection letter, I mean I only have 32 and those on hold have stellerrrrrrrrrrrrrr SCORES! I mean what are they looking for This is Albany not Columbia:rolleyes: which I did not apply to for the verry reason

9,000 app seriously?

Any advice?

Thanks Guys

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know whether this student welcoming thing on wednesdays at 7:30pm is worth going to? I have a wednesday interview later this month and was wondering whether i should stick around for it. Thanks.

...and to MDBBLk... 32 sounds like its on par with this school's stats... i have a 33 and got an interview ...don't let other people's outcomes deter you

I think it depends on the day. I went to the one before my thursday interview and there were only two other people that showed up...but that turned out to be really awesome because we got to have a really informal talk with a student, got to go meet a bunch of other random students that happened to be on campus/library/student lounge. It was cool.

One thing that really, really impressed me with Albany was that the students were ALL super energetic, laidback and extremely outgoing. These weren't students that were selected by the adcom or volunteered for a tour guide position, but rather, random students that I met in the halls or in the student lounge. Everyone seemed really happy with where they were.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my status page, it says "no" for application complete, but yes for receipt of the other four items. Did anyone else have this problem? I submitted my secondary in mid-August so it seems ludicrous that I'm not complete yet, plus they've acknowledged that they have everything they need, so I don't understand why I'm not complete.

On my status page, it says "no" for application complete, but yes for receipt of the other four items. Did anyone else have this problem? I submitted my secondary in mid-August so it seems ludicrous that I'm not complete yet, plus they've acknowledged that they have everything they need, so I don't understand why I'm not complete.

i submitted everything by July 31st and they didn't mark me complete until 9/19. they only mark you complete once they have started reviewing you application from my understanding. plus they have many more apps now so don't worry. if they told you you are complete then everything is fine. you just have to wait it out. good luck!

got put on hold today and really upset about it! anyone else on hold can you guys post your stats? mine's 33S and a cumulative 3.57

got put on hold today and really upset about it! anyone else on hold can you guys post your stats? mine's 33S and a cumulative 3.57

Hey when were you complete?

i'm really sorry that you got put on hold. i was wondering how do you know if you're on hold. did you get an email? and when were u complete?

i was complete about 9/4 and they emailed me today telling me i've been put on hold

Can someone please tell me where to send my letters of recommendations. thankyou

anyone know the proper procedure to withdraw an application? just email the admissions office? call? both?

anyone know the proper procedure to withdraw an application? just email the admissions office? call? both?

E-mailing will usually "get it done" so to speak, but I find that it's always a good idea to send a signed, hard copy withdrawl in addition to the e-mail. It gives them a paper record of the withdrawl, and also allows you to confirm that they received an official document. This is actually important as this year I got into two SMP programs and had to withdraw from both. Unfortunately, Georgetown withdrew me from the program, but kept sending me invoices (typical)!

I argued with the billing and accounts office that I did not owe them any money, and it was because I had sent both an e-mail and a paper withdrawl letter that they relented so easily. I guess this scenario could only really happen if you have an acceptance, but still. I'd go with both.

Note: The SMP office itself was extremely helpful during this debacle, and it was definitely no fault of theirs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an e-mail invite to Albany today. Yay... back to new York i go

floja- when were you complete? I've been complete for a month now so I'm wondering when I should expect news.

floja- when were you complete? I've been complete for a month now so I'm wondering when I should expect news.

I sent in my LOR July 31st (which was the last thing I needed to send). They didn't enter it for a long, long time ~6 weeks. So, I'd say I was complete September 12 or so (also one month).

I think Albany is reviewing the file in the order which it was received... Most school say that, but Albany really seems to be doing that. From Floja and previous posters...the timeline matches up..

eekkk!

I think Albany is reviewing the file in the order which it was received... Most school say that, but Albany really seems to be doing that. From Floja and previous posters...the timeline matches up..

eekkk!

I don't know... I was marked as complete in August and haven't heard anything yet.

This is crazy: Albany is in the middle of nowhere, so it's near impossible to find a cheap and efficient way to get there from California.

Does anyone know what's a good way to get from NYC to Albany?

This is crazy: Albany is in the middle of nowhere, so it's near impossible to find a cheap and efficient way to get there from California.

Amtrak from Penn station to Albany Rennassalaer (sp?). It cost me like 30 bucks, and it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes. That's probably your best bet.

You are right, there is no cheap way, but I'd say spend the money and just fly into Albany. Southwest flies into Albany, usually via Midway in Chicago but they also have a few flights direct from Las Vegas (these might only be on the weekend). If you fly into NYC, you'll have to take a bus into Manhattan, then a train up the Rensellaer, then a cab into Albany, and it will take you a long, long time. A cab from Albany airport into Albany costs ~$30, so consider looking for a better deal on a rental car.

i emailed them today to find out about my letters... they haven;t been marked as received on my status page. they said they had received my letters but hadnt processed my application yet. is processing it the same as reviewing it?

Hey, for those of you who have already interviewed, about how long does the interview day last? Specifically, if you were in the afternoon session, when did you get out? I have a flight to catch at 6:30 PM the same day, and I'm not familiar with the area/traffic congestion. I'd really like to avoid being stranded in Albany for the night. :(

hey guys, so I'm wondering what life is like in Albany ... I know that it is the capital of New York, but it is funny that some people call the capital "In the middle of nowhere". Sure it's 2-3 hours away from NYC, but it can't be that bad, right?

I only ask b/c I'm not sure if I can afford 500 dollars to go to a school, when someone can share how life is like there. On the SDN med school ranking, it's one of the lowest in terms of cultural and school life...

Could a student or maybe someone who interviewed there please share the pros and cons of this school? Thanks!

this is such an open-ended question.. like what am i supposed to write.. 1000 characters worth of adjectives?... this will be tough

i'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really qualified.

I only ask b/c I'm not sure if I can afford 500 dollars to go to a school, when someone can share how life is like there. On the SDN med school ranking, it's one of the lowest in terms of cultural and school life...

Could a student or maybe someone who interviewed there please share the pros and cons of this school? Thanks!

pros: most laid back and non-competitive student body you will experience compared to other med school cohorts. relatively short drive to new york city, boston, and montreal. abundant skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and rafting. lots of clinical experience, even starting in the first year.

cons: looong fall/winter with not much daylight (upstate new york location.) on the pricier end of med schools.

I have an interview at Albany in a week or two and was wondering if someone could tell me

1) How many days of the year is the town "Frozen Over"...meaning that you cannot leave your house or go to school without crashing your car due to ice.

2) How do they grade (Pass/no pass, or A-F)

3) Do the bars stay open until 4am?

4) How far is the Airport from the school (in terms of minutes away)

Thanks

1) How many days of the year is the town "Frozen Over"...meaning that you cannot leave your house or go to school without crashing your car due to ice.

Albany is not Buffalo (which is notorious for its snow and ice storms, because it's right next to Lake Erie). It does get pretty cold and snowy up there in the winter, but I wouldn't call it anything extraordinary. (I.e. it may get to zero occasionally, but never -10.) Also, the worst problems with snow and ice are generally found out in the country, on roads which are slow to be plowed and iced. If you live in Albany proper, I don't think you'll have too many problems.

No. In fact, it's pretty hard to find something to eat--other than fast food or bar food--after 9 pm (10 on the weekends). I wouldn't call Albany a big nightlife town.

Good to know... I live on the West coast so I only deal with ice/snow/freezing temps like two or three days a year and it will completely shut down the entire city

albany has been rejecting a lot of strong candidates, so being put on hold isnt the worst thing in the world...right?

I have an interview at Albany in a week or two and was wondering if someone could tell me

0 last year

2) How do they grade (Pass/no pass, or A-F)

it's A-F but disguised as a modified pass/fail. Grades are based totally on the average score. About 80-90% of the class gets a "G" (passing) on each exam. A couple people get an M (marginal) or a U (can't remember what it stands for, but it's like an F). Several people at the upper end get an E (excellent) or EH (excellent w/ honors, between 2 and 8 of these are given per unit). Some units no one fails if the average is high enough.

Albany has several undergrad universities, so there is some night life. I really dont' know what time the bars close though.

4) How far is the Airport from the school (in terms of minutes away)

20 minutes or so from the campus.

hey bro...

i came across this SAME problem...

you need to call the admission office and talk to them to have your file MARKED AS COMPLETE.

I had all of my ITEMS checked as complete, but my file was NOT COMPLETE...

The problem was that one of the LORs was not correctly marked as a "committee" letter... and thus they did receive my items, however, they didn't have my file MARKED AS COMPLETE because they THOUGHT they didn't have all of the "right" items....

In short, call and figure it out.

hey bro...

i came across this SAME problem...

you need to call the admission office and talk to them to have your file MARKED AS COMPLETE.

... i typed out a description of my prob w/ albany just a second ago and the page reloaded... ****...

to sum it up, YOU NEED TO CALL THEM AND MAKE SURE YOUR FILE IS MARKED AS COMPLETE... there might be some "techincal" problem...

I had all of my ITEMS checked as complete, but my file was NOT COMPLETE...

The problem was that one of the LORs was not correctly marked as a "committee" letter... and thus they did receive my items, however, they didn't have my file MARKED AS COMPLETE because they THOUGHT they didn't have all of the "right" items....

In short, call and figure it out. btw,

Hey, for those of you who have already interviewed, about how long does the interview day last? Specifically, if you were in the afternoon session, when did you get out? I have a flight to catch at 6:30 PM the same day, and I'm not familiar with the area/traffic congestion. I'd really like to avoid being stranded in Albany for the night. :(

Really depends on the time slots you get the day of. I was done by 3:30, but I know some people were at least an hour behind me since I had the first interviews.

I got an email saying my file was marked "complete and ready for review" on 9/12.

hmm i never got this email? weird ... i wonder if i should call them

Never got an email either, but from my status page it looks like it is updated..

ok good, yeah mine says 'file complete and read for review' check ... so hopefully. plus good luck for us to get interview invites asap! when were your complete do you think?

ok good, yeah mine says 'file complete and read for review' check ... so hopefully. plus good luck for us to get interview invites asap! when were your complete do you think?

It took a while to finally become complete.. not until Sept. 26th for me that they checked off my LORs.

yeah they had a question about my physics pre-reqs so they emailed me. After I responded with the necessary info, they emailed me again to say my file was complete. No need to worry.

okay thanks, i'm hoping they'll let me know soon about their decision. it's nice they do it by email and actually tell you if you have interview invite or not ... they don't let you hanging!

Status
Not open for further replies.