2008-2009 Case Western Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my financial aid award today and it was soooooooo dissapointing. In fact, it was so dissapointing that I think there might be a mistake. Anyone else get there's?

No word over here on that front.:(

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, I'm not really much for guile. What you see is what you get.

I also think I'm going to search for a place in June...want to get an SDN house together? :laugh:

If I decide on Case, then I'm going to start looking... now. I'll want a lease to start in June. A SDN house? Oh boy, I don't know if the internet service providers in Cleveland could handle that :laugh:

I got my financial aid award today and it was soooooooo dissapointing. In fact, it was so dissapointing that I think there might be a mistake. Anyone else get there's?

Wow, damn. I'm not looking forward to seeing mine. It sounds like I'm basically hoping for a miracle.. but I'm probably more likely to get struck by lightning :(

Thats too bad... how did you receive it, by mail, email, iapply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and this is kind of off topic from the fin aid, but I talked with the computer support director earlier this week. I want my own customized laptop different from the ones offered. Since i wanted a macbook pro he said basically whatever i want is fine, as long as it is an apple. So i can get a better graphics card, hard drive, processor and most importantly a 17 inch screen. He, however, did not seem so open with windows machines. So, if their computer policy is an issue for you, shoot David P an email.

And, I also spoke with Christian about the May 1 declare date. I am waiting on fin aid from another school that won't get back to me until early May. He said that May 15 is an acceptable declare date as well.

As long as the comp can easily run starcraft 2, I'll be happy.

As long as the comp can easily run starcraft 2, I'll be happy.

Haha, just because we have all that time for "self-directed learning" doesn't mean you should be playing starcraft 2 ;)

Anxiously awaiting financial aid. They need to shave that $16k/year difference into something more like $10k/year for me to truly consider it, I think.

Haha, just because we have all that time for "self-directed learning" doesn't mean you should be playing starcraft 2 ;)

Anxiously awaiting financial aid. They need to shave that $16k/year difference into something more like $10k/year for me to truly consider it, I think.

nintendo_surgeon.png

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how we all adjust to the workload. I tend to make a nest in a library and only leave for sleep, exercise and class, but I'm going to try to balance more fun stuff. We'll see how that works out. :p

I'm in exactly the same situation for finaid. Good luck to us both!

nintendo_surgeon.png

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how we all adjust to the workload. I tend to make a nest in a library and only leave for sleep, exercise and class, but I'm going to try to balance more fun stuff. We'll see how that works out. :p

I'm in exactly the same situation for finaid. Good luck to us both!

Haaaaaaha. Nice!

Hope we all get what we need to come to Case!:)

New laptop specs are up!

Edit: Only the Dell info's been updated! (I was looking at the mac specs and thinking "...do they even sell it with that configuration anymore?!":laugh:)

Last edited:
New laptop specs are up!

Edit: Only the Dell info's been updated! (I was looking at the mac specs and thinking "...do they even sell it with that configuration anymore?!":laugh:)

I'd like the Dell D630 but I think the 9 cell battery will stick out in the front. At least, according to the CNET review of the D630. So I'm not so sure about that. I don't really feel like spending a whole lot of money on a school laptop. It just seems more feasible to get a school laptop and a personal desktop, like a refurbished iMac desktop.

I'd like the Dell D630 but I think the 9 cell battery will stick out in the front. At least, according to the CNET review of the D630. So I'm not so sure about that. I don't really feel like spending a whole lot of money on a school laptop. It just seems more feasible to get a school laptop and a personal desktop, like a refurbished iMac desktop.

I live out of my laptop, so I've been really, really wanting to see those Mac Book Pro specs...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
All you need to know is: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Those things are expensive! I know, because I had a refurbished one as my previous computer.

That's about right, yeah. I'm sitting on a bottom-of-the-line 2007 MacBook right now, and it hurts.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've been saving up cash for a new one though!:thumbup:

The good news is that it isn't a MacPro (as sweet as those look).

...one of these days the macs are going to ship with hard drives faster than 5400RPM... anyone want to place bets on that?:cry:

seriously, can the Dell Latitude D630run starcraft II? if it can, im going with that. starcraft II will be my fix!!!!

Kinda confused about the 'updated specs' page:

It says this at the top: "The exact specifications for the Class of 2013 laptops are not available yet"

And if you look at this page (may have to log in to iapply): http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/

It lists the following Dells: Dell Latitude E4300 and Dell Latitude E6500, which are definitely not the ones listed on the specs page.

So what's the deal?

wow.. what a disappointing financial aid package..$55k in loans/year.

good bye case. im sorry but i just can't afford you

Kinda confused about the 'updated specs' page:

It says this at the top: "The exact specifications for the Class of 2013 laptops are not available yet"

And if you look at this page (may have to log in to iapply): http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/

It lists the following Dells: Dell Latitude E4300 and Dell Latitude E6500, which are definitely not the ones listed on the specs page.

So what's the deal?

last update was Last Update: May 12, 2008 , so i dont think the comparison table is reliable.

here is dells e4300 page:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_latitude_e4300?c=us&l=en&s=biz

also check out the timeline:

http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/timeline.cfm

last update was Last Update: May 12, 2008 , so i dont think the comparison table is reliable.

Their front page says "April 20th: Updated information for Dell laptops on the Comparison page.":(

I got my finaid letter (email). There was an error in it (I had more student loan debt than they said I did). But the award was enough to make it close to what I'd be spending on the state school I was considering. Looks like I'm heading to Cleveland!

Yikes! So they are throwing you guys a bone right? I'm hoping they come through for me here.. still haven't heard.

I doubt the D630 can run starcraft 2 lol. I think you'll want to get a desktop computer for that... ;)

Yikes! So they are throwing you guys a bone right? I'm hoping they come through for me here.. still haven't heard.

I doubt the D630 can run starcraft 2 lol. I think you'll want to get a desktop computer for that... ;)

dont even joke around like that man, lets hope the folks at blizard make starcraft as scalable as possible.

dont even joke around like that man, lets hope the folks at blizard make starcraft as scalable as possible.

Nah man, I ain't joking. I also kinda hope that's not the case, because if I get sucked into the Starcraft vortex like some of these Korean dudes out there, the only thing that's going to save me at Case is pass/fail. :laugh:

Rhettoric, if they're giving you enough money so that it matches your state school... either you got a #(*@$load of money or you go to a state with a really expensive state school! ;)

I got my finaid letter (email). There was an error in it (I had more student loan debt than they said I did). But the award was enough to make it close to what I'd be spending on the state school I was considering. Looks like I'm heading to Cleveland!

Congratulations! See you there!:D

I'm counting on that MacBook Pro for some Fallout 3 goodness for my xbox-less soul.:laugh: I always wanted to explore a post-nuclear version of my neighborhood...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nah man, I ain't joking. I also kinda hope that's not the case, because if I get sucked into the Starcraft vortex like some of these Korean dudes out there, the only thing that's going to save me at Case is pass/fail. :laugh:

Rhettoric, if they're giving you enough money so that it matches your state school... either you got a #(*@$load of money or you go to a state with a really expensive state school! ;)

Three cheers for pass/fail and finaid!

...whenever they get around to telling me about finaid, that is.:oops:

Notebook comparison table's been updated for real this time, guys.

Dell choices are E4300, E6400, E6500

I know :( I wonder if they'd change it to XP if we made a big enough fuss though.

Clearly none of them are gaming rigs. Probably a good thing. ;) I like the E4300, though - they all look similarly constructed but depending on the price I think the E4300 would be the best bang for the buck. If its priced around the $1200-1300 range, I'm all over it like white on rice. Then I'll grab a desktop computer (iMac desktop or something) and use that for all my personal stuff, like music, videos, games, etc. Basically I'd be buying a laptop ONLY because it's required :mad:

They look okay for gaming to me... (though I dont play many graphic intensive games..usually WoW and stuff). I think the E4300 is actually the priciest of the bunch, at least that's what the dell website says

They look okay for gaming to me... (though I dont play many graphic intensive games..usually WoW and stuff). I think the E4300 is actually the priciest of the bunch, at least that's what the dell website says

Yeah, you're right - I just finished reading through some reviews and it looks like it's in the $2,000 range. Looks like that ain't gonna happen. Well then the E6400 shall have to do

Yeah, you're right - I just finished reading through some reviews and it looks like it's in the $2,000 range. Looks like that ain't gonna happen. Well then the E6400 shall have to do

i think the school arranges discounts on the laptops no?

I wonder why it's so expensive though..the E6500 specs look a lot better than the E4300 one.

I wonder why it's so expensive though..the E6500 specs look a lot better than the E4300 one.

Hm, I figure it's expensive because it's one of these tiny laptop builds. It weighs 3.3 pounds! So it's intended to be one of these light mobile laptops, and the fully featured ones tend to be pretty pricey.

You're right that they should be getting volume discounts, but if the price is north of $2,000, the discount isn't going to get it anywhere near $1300-1500 which is more of my price range.

The 4300's not going to do well with gaming with that on-board processor. :O

C'moooooooooon Mac specs!

And as an addendum to that, c'moooooooon finaid!

The 4300's not going to do well with gaming with that on-board processor. :O

C'moooooooooon Mac specs!

And as an addendum to that, c'moooooooon finaid!

Seconded, with the finaid part. Are they just going through everyone's finaid information one by one? I wonder if they're going in order of completion, maybe not. Poop, I just want to hear so I know whether to pursue that apartment in Little Italy or not.. :p

Seconded, with the finaid part. Are they just going through everyone's finaid information one by one? I wonder if they're going in order of completion, maybe not. Poop, I just want to hear so I know whether to pursue that apartment in Little Italy or not.. :p

I hope it's not in order of completion, 'cause if it is, I'm not going to know until 4/30ish.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, I would think they would have to look at everybody all at once to get a good idea of who needs what...

But maybe not!:laugh:

Roadrunner,

they didn't meet the state school cost, but they split the difference which was what I was hoping for. If you want more details you can PM me on here or through facebook (Are we fb friends?). Oh and for those who are interested, my finaid file was complete on the 7th.

Blizzard hasn't posted their tech specs for sc2 yet. I looked at the apple page and put together my ideal macbook pro (only 15 inch screen, but good processor). They didn't have graphic card options. It did cost a pretty penny, though, around $3k. Obviously that's without the discount. Apple is now offering solid state hard drives instead of serial ones. They cost more thought...worth it?

Also, I can't imagine ever playing WoW in school. Starcraft might be a fun study break for an hour or so, but WoW will drain your soul!

Roadrunner,

they didn't meet the state school cost, but they split the difference which was what I was hoping for. If you want more details you can PM me on here or through facebook (Are we fb friends?). Oh and for those who are interested, my finaid file was complete on the 7th.

Blizzard hasn't posted their tech specs for sc2 yet. I looked at the apple page and put together my ideal macbook pro (only 15 inch screen, but good processor). They didn't have graphic card options. It did cost a pretty penny, though, around $3k. Obviously that's without the discount. Apple is now offering solid state hard drives instead of serial ones. They cost more thought...worth it?

Also, I can't imagine ever playing WoW in school. Starcraft might be a fun study break for an hour or so, but WoW will drain your soul!

The 7th of what month?:laugh::thumbup:

Hmm, if you guys start playing starcraft, you're going to have to invite me and teach me how... I've never played starcraft... all I know is Zerg rush, but I remember hearing that it's going to be a little more balanced this time around...

I would just go with a cheap serial and live your life on huge (cheap, but awesome seagate) externals.:thumbup:

Roadrunner,

I hope I'm as lucky as you are! Yes, we are facebook friends but I can't use facebook at work :( So I'll message you when I get home later tonight, I suppose.

Macbook Pros cost an arm and a leg. I had a $1200 refurbished Core Duo MBP that I used for 2.5 years, then gave it to my brother when I took a job that pretty much gave me a Core Duo Macbook to use at home. I have to give it back now, though. No big deal, as it makes it an ideal time to get a new laptop. But I probably will never buy a Macbook Pro brand-new, even though these things are awesome.

The 7th of what month?:laugh::thumbup:

Hmm, if you guys start playing starcraft, you're going to have to invite me and teach me how... I've never played starcraft... all I know is Zerg rush, but I remember hearing that it's going to be a little more balanced this time around...

I would just go with a cheap serial and live your life on huge (cheap, but awesome seagate) externals.:thumbup:

I remember 4pool. Now that was such a dick thing to do.. :smuggrin:

I hope I'm as lucky as you are! Yes, we are facebook friends but I can't use facebook at work :( So I'll message you when I get home later tonight, I suppose.

Macbook Pros cost an arm and a leg. I had a $1200 refurbished Core Duo MBP that I used for 2.5 years, then gave it to my brother when I took a job that pretty much gave me a Core Duo Macbook to use at home. I have to give it back now, though. No big deal, as it makes it an ideal time to get a new laptop. But I probably will never buy a Macbook Pro brand-new, even though these things are awesome.

I remember 4pool. Now that was such a dick thing to do.. :smuggrin:
we ought to arrange a game night, say once a month or something prize=bragging rights. :laugh: cause we all know we're all gonna be broke as hell!!!

we ought to arrange a game night, say once a month or something prize=bragging rights. :laugh: cause we all know we're all gonna be broke as hell!!!

Which works out wonderfully for me, 'cause your friends will just say "ha, you beat a girl at starcraft--big deal!" And in the reverse case, you get "HA! You lost to a girl?!"

Win-win!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

(But I am definitely in favor of game night!)

Which works out wonderfully for me, 'cause your friends will just say "ha, you beat a girl at starcraft--big deal!" And in the reverse case, you get "HA! You lost to a girl?!"

Win-win!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've always told my female friends (as well as the girls I've dated) that it makes a lot of sense for them to learn poker. It's the one "sport" where women are on a completely level playing field with men. Not only that, guys are ridiculously bigoted and competitive and make all sorts of stupid mistakes when they are playing against women just to show them who is boss. It's because of this that one of my favorite poker players Annie Duke, finished 10th in the World Series of Poker in 2000 when she was 8 months pregnant. :love:

I'm in for game night. Starcraft is just a complicated real-time strategy game. Easy to play, but hard to play well. Like most good strategy games, it really comes down to how swiftly and effectively you can manage your resources.

I realize macs are expensive but I'm willing to pay for elegant and functional design as well as the reduced exposure to viruses/spyware. I know I need to run windows for compatibility sake with a lot of software, but it's not my ideal.

Speaking of cool strategy games, anyone here ever play settler's of cataan?

I've always told my female friends (as well as the girls I've dated) that it makes a lot of sense for them to learn poker. It's the one "sport" where women are on a completely level playing field with men. Not only that, guys are ridiculously bigoted and competitive and make all sorts of stupid mistakes when they are playing against women just to show them who is boss. It's because of this that one of my favorite poker players Annie Duke, finished 10th in the World Series of Poker in 2000 when she was 8 months pregnant. :love:

I'm in for game night. Starcraft is just a complicated real-time strategy game. Easy to play, but hard to play well. Like most good strategy games, it really comes down to how swiftly and effectively you can manage your resources.

I realize macs are expensive but I'm willing to pay for elegant and functional design as well as the reduced exposure to viruses/spyware. I know I need to run windows for compatibility sake with a lot of software, but it's not my ideal.

Speaking of cool strategy games, anyone here ever play settler's of cataan?

ive heard of settle's, always wanted to play, never had the opportunity. my board game staple is risk. you know, global domination and what not. im a strategy game addict, though i dont mind first person shooters either.

Honestly, why NOT put down the extra several hundred bucks for a Mac? In the long run what is 150k in debt versus 150.7k?

Oh, and we will be having poker tourneys. I've played for a long time. It's been several years since I played Starcraft though.

Honestly, why NOT put down the extra several hundred bucks for a Mac? In the long run what is 150k in debt versus 150.7k?

Oh, and we will be having poker tourneys. I've played for a long time. It's been several years since I played Starcraft though.

"Hey guys, what does it mean if they're all consecutive? Is that good??":laugh:

You'll have to teach me that one too.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.