2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by bozz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does EVMS send both letters of acceptance and letters of rejection? Or are letters just for rejections? I interviewed November 12 and have not heard anything yet.
 
Does EVMS send both letters of acceptance and letters of rejection? Or are letters just for rejections? I interviewed November 12 and have not heard anything yet.
I believe they send both letters. I interviewed the 12th also. You should call the admissions office and ask for your decision. I called. Top 1/3 of the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for anyone accepted,

i am trying to get a apartment/condo/house in ghent, probably trying to move in sometime over the summer or late spring. Anyone else in the market, I live in the area and have a pretty good feel for some pretty nice places. 2 or 3 br places are running like 500 per person.

PM me if you are interested in getting together and trying to find a place.

as for me, I am a local from virginia beach, fairly laid back and am down with having a good time every now and then, but i'm sure as it is with most of you, my priority will be on school.
 
Hey all, I see there are a lot of questions and issues that people have concerns about. I'll do my best to address them as a first year at EVMS

Yes, traditionally in the past there has been a lot of movement on the waitlist but last year very few both IS and OOS students were taken off the waitlist. Not sure if that was just last year or it's an actual change that's happening in the applicant pool. Also, because EVMS is getting more funding from the state, I'm told that the number of IS applicants will increase and consequently, the number of OOS applicants will decrease. I don't have a confirmation for this just yet, but just what I've heard through the grape vines.

Interview season tends to last until March-ish.

Let me know if there are other questions!

Do you know about the movement of those in the last third of the waitlist? Do those individuals ever get picked up for an acceptance? I was surprised when I was told I was in the bottom third 🙁

Also, is there anyway to move up on the waitlist? I've sent in to additional letters of recommendation and a letter of interest.

I was told that I am on the "high wait list" at EVMS. What exactly does that mean?

They're supposed to give you a number, 1st 3rd, 2nd 3rd, or bottom 3rd.
 
I know that it's late in the game, but I just called EVMS to check on my status. They told me that I would be receiving an interview invite from them soon. But they couldn't tell me when exactly that would be. Has anyone else encountered this?

I was hoping that they could actually schedule something for me in early Februrary because I'll be in the area (i.e. in Richmond) for another interview. Do you guys know if they are receptive to something like that.
 
With regards to movement on the waitlist, order actually doesn't matter. Why do I say this? Well, it's cause who gets taken off the waitlist depends on who relinquishes their spot. If someone who is an OOS male decides to turn down EVMS then it is more likely that a male OOS waitlister will be taken over someone else who may be higher than him on the waitlist. Of course, OOS/IS and sex aren't the only characteristics that they go by and thus calculating how likely you are to be accepted is very difficult to ascertain right now. If you're on the waitlist, that's already a great thing. Just continue to show your interest. Unfortunately that's all I can offer you right now as far as tips. Please feel free to ask me any more questions! Gluck everyone.
 
I know that it's late in the game, but I just called EVMS to check on my status. They told me that I would be receiving an interview invite from them soon. But they couldn't tell me when exactly that would be. Has anyone else encountered this?

I was hoping that they could actually schedule something for me in early Februrary because I'll be in the area (i.e. in Richmond) for another interview. Do you guys know if they are receptive to something like that.

I was told the same exact thing in September and within a couple of weeks I received an invite. I would imagine that if they told you that you will receive an invite you will get one....congratulations. I don't know anything about how receptive the admissions office will be about scheduling your interview at a convenient time. I do know that I have had positive experiences in dealing with all staff at EVMS.
 
I was told that I would receive an invitation for an interview "next week" and in fact it was 3 weeks later. They only offered 2 dates and both were about a month out. I think it is hard for them to find dates that everyone on the committee is available.
 
I know that it's late in the game, but I just called EVMS to check on my status. They told me that I would be receiving an interview invite from them soon. But they couldn't tell me when exactly that would be. Has anyone else encountered this?

I was hoping that they could actually schedule something for me in early Februrary because I'll be in the area (i.e. in Richmond) for another interview. Do you guys know if they are receptive to something like that.

It has been 3 months since I called and they gave me this msg. I called b/t now and then to check and got the same msg so it's not a hoax but can't give you an idea of how long we'd be waiting.
 
I know that it's late in the game, but I just called EVMS to check on my status. They told me that I would be receiving an interview invite from them soon. But they couldn't tell me when exactly that would be. Has anyone else encountered this?

I was hoping that they could actually schedule something for me in early Februrary because I'll be in the area (i.e. in Richmond) for another interview. Do you guys know if they are receptive to something like that.

I interviewed last week and we were the last ones for the fall interview cycle, so they won't start scheduling interviews until January or so..
 
Has anyone who interviewed last week called them to see if they have made any decisions yet? I remember reading in this thread that the adcom meets every wednesday and some people called them after 5 business days and found out their decision. I have an exam tomorrow so don't want to call today since I don't want it to affect my performance on the exam. Just checking if anyone has called today!

Also they should have made a decision by next week right for the people who interviewed last week? I am sure they would want to get done with those applicants before they go into the Christmas break, any thoughts?
 
EVMS is going on Christmas break so I wouldn't be expecting any news right now. Unfortunately, those of you who don't have a decision yet will probably have to wait patiently until January.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got bad news for those of us that heard we were going to be getting interviews when we called for a status check...I just called and they said that they can no longer guarantee this because they have received 5,000 OOS applications and apparently, that's too much for them to handle. When I told them they probably should not have been promising applicants interview slots over the phone, I was told that it was true at the time but now, since there are so many applicants, everyone is getting re-reviewed. Pretty shady...it's as if they decided they were going to interview you and before they could seal the envelope, a new applicant pops up in the pool and takes that spot. I don't know how things work at an admissions office but if you have made the decision to interview someone in the first place, you should stick to your word.

They said our only option now is to email [email protected] (Associate Dean) to complain about this matter. Total BSSSSSSSS
 
So I got bad news for those of us that heard we were going to be getting interviews when we called for a status check...I just called and they said that they can no longer guarantee this because they have received 5,000 OOS applications and apparently, that's too much for them to handle. When I told them they probably should not have been promising applicants interview slots over the phone, I was told that it was true at the time but now, since there are so many applicants, everyone is getting re-reviewed. Pretty shady...it's as if they decided they were going to interview you and before they could seal the envelope, a new applicant pops up in the pool and takes that spot. I don't know how things work at an admissions office but if you have made the decision to interview someone in the first place, you should stick to your word.

They said our only option now is to email [email protected] (Associate Dean) to complain about this matter. Total BSSSSSSSS

man this makes me wonder if this will affect those of us who are oos and waitlisted. :/
 
I don't think that complaining will get you anywhere. Just stick to your guns, let them know they you are serious about going to medical school and hope for the best. Also, medical school will still be there next year. Not the end of the world if you don't get in this cycle. Just do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate, stay in touch with admissions and/or Dr. Solhaug, and hope that everything works out.
 
So I got bad news for those of us that heard we were going to be getting interviews when we called for a status check...I just called and they said that they can no longer guarantee this because they have received 5,000 OOS applications and apparently, that's too much for them to handle. When I told them they probably should not have been promising applicants interview slots over the phone, I was told that it was true at the time but now, since there are so many applicants, everyone is getting re-reviewed. Pretty shady...it's as if they decided they were going to interview you and before they could seal the envelope, a new applicant pops up in the pool and takes that spot. I don't know how things work at an admissions office but if you have made the decision to interview someone in the first place, you should stick to your word.

They said our only option now is to email [email protected] (Associate Dean) to complain about this matter. Total BSSSSSSSS

Apparently my post got deleted, as I wrote a response a few days ago. Anyway, I'm an oos applicant and got an interview invite on Friday, which I scheduled for January. Every date except for 1 was available in January, so it seems there are still plenty of interviews to be handed out soon. Unlike many of you, I did not receive any promises of an interview. On Wednesday, I had e-mailed Dr. Solhaug, but not about an interview invite, and he still hasn't responded to my e-mail. I don't have stellar stats (3.7/30 and some decent ECs), so just hang in there, if I can get an invite, so can you! If you're going to e-mail Dr. Solhaug, I would not complain, but rather just express your interest in EVMS and also update with any new grades/activities.

For those that have interviewed, is it a pretty laid back interview? Is it harder to get into EVMS as an oos applicant? I heard only 1/3 of their class is oos.
 
Does anyone know what day of the week the Adcom meets? I interviewed there around mid December and called them Monday but they said the Adcom hasn't met to discuss my file (post interview) yet.
Has anyone else called and found out any other useful information regarding that?
 
Apparently my post got deleted, as I wrote a response a few days ago. Anyway, I'm an oos applicant and got an interview invite on Friday, which I scheduled for January. Every date except for 1 was available in January, so it seems there are still plenty of interviews to be handed out soon. Unlike many of you, I did not receive any promises of an interview. On Wednesday, I had e-mailed Dr. Solhaug, but not about an interview invite, and he still hasn't responded to my e-mail. I don't have stellar stats (3.7/30 and some decent ECs), so just hang in there, if I can get an invite, so can you! If you're going to e-mail Dr. Solhaug, I would not complain, but rather just express your interest in EVMS and also update with any new grades/activities.

For those that have interviewed, is it a pretty laid back interview? Is it harder to get into EVMS as an oos applicant? I heard only 1/3 of their class is oos.

Hey best of luck getting that interview! To answer your questions... the interview overall isn't that hard, although they will ask 1 or 2 ethical questions and will test your dedication to your answers (be ready to defend yourself, that's what they want - don't just back down!). Since EVMS is a state school like MCV and UVA, it is harder (by definition) to get in oos than is (sorry!). 1/3 oos sounds about right - its mandated by Virginia lawmakers (and is about the same at the other state medical schools).
 
They start looking at the waiting list sometime in March once the interviews wrap up. I don't know if they actually start accepting from it at that time, though. Take a look at the EVMS waitlist thread from last cycle to see if anyone was pulled off it around that time. Someone posted in it today I think, so it's back near the top of the thread list.
 
just thought i would let you guys know that i received an unexpexted interview invitation today (still have to call and schedule though). just thought it might ease some fears.
 
I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that I am on the waitlist and at the bottom I had a note from Dr. Solhaug that I need to schedule a phone interview with him, I wonder what kind of interview it will be! Has anyone had the similar experience or know anything about it? Is that a standard procedure for people on the waitlist?
 
I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that I am on the waitlist and at the bottom I had a note from Dr. Solhaug that I need to schedule a phone interview with him, I wonder what kind of interview it will be! Has anyone had the similar experience or know anything about it? Is that a standard procedure for people on the waitlist?

I'm pretty sure that it is standard procedure for those on the waitlist, but I could be wrong. I am also on the waitlist and had an interview w/ Dr. Solhaug; it was super laid-back and he just explained the mechanics of the waitlist (it is "dynamic"). It wouldn't hurt to have stuff to tell him about how you are continuing to improve you application through shadowing, volunteering, classes, etc. He might even have you schedule a follow-up interview; I'm going to mine in a couple weeks. Hope this helps.
 
It's not standard, because I'm on the waitlist, and I didn't have a phone interview or any interview with him for that matter...perhaps it's for applicants they are more interested in, in state folks, i dunno!
 
Has anyone had a face to face meeting with Dr. Solhaug as a result of his comment on the bottom of a waiting list letter?
 
I'm pretty sure that it is standard procedure for those on the waitlist, but I could be wrong. I am also on the waitlist and had an interview w/ Dr. Solhaug; it was super laid-back and he just explained the mechanics of the waitlist (it is "dynamic"). It wouldn't hurt to have stuff to tell him about how you are continuing to improve you application through shadowing, volunteering, classes, etc. He might even have you schedule a follow-up interview; I'm going to mine in a couple weeks. Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes it does help.

I just had couple of questions though:

Did he mention any reason for not accepting you right after the first interview or anything like that?

Also, if you don't mind, could you please tell me what kind of interview it is going to be? Is it the kind where he just wants to know us more personally? Did he just ask you about personal stuff or he also asked you ethical/healthcare stuff?

Thanks again and good luck for the follow-up interview.
 
Has anyone been accepted as an OOS applicant yet? I checked the acceptance thread, and all I see are IS acceptances. How do they notify you of an acceptance?

For those that haven't interviewed yet, this was my most pleasant interview so far...enjoy it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone been accepted as an OOS applicant yet? I checked the acceptance thread, and all I see are IS acceptances. How do they notify you of an acceptance?

For those that haven't interviewed yet, this was my most pleasant interview so far...enjoy it!

Really? Phew!

Since they do a panel interview for some reason i got the preconception that they would be extremely formal, strict and stressful.

How was your experience if you don't mind sharing?
 
Really? Phew!

Since they do a panel interview for some reason i got the preconception that they would be extremely formal, strict and stressful.

How was your experience if you don't mind sharing?

I echo what AdmiralChz says. I personally think more than 1 interviewer in the room is less stressful because chances are, you will be able to connect with someone. We mostly talked about me as a person, so as long as you know yourself, it should be a fine experience. I just hope they felt the same good feelings as I felt for them!
 
Anyone interview on Jan 7th and call to check status yet???? I really can not wait to see if I got in, I was really impressed by the school and everyone there!
 
Just curious, has anyone been rejected post-interview? It seems like everyone that has interview has either been accepted or waitlisted...
 
Just curious, has anyone been rejected post-interview? It seems like everyone that has interview has either been accepted or waitlisted...

i think it's likely that the vast majority of people have been rejected but did not post.

for those of you waitlisted postinterview, but did not have a number to call for a phone interview on the waitlist letter we received (i'm in that boat)... what does it mean for us? are we less likely to be picked then those of us who were told to call?
 
Makoto, are you OS? It seems like mostly OS folks don't have the "call this number" at the bottom of their waitlist letters..... but i could be wrong.. just a thought!
 
Just for heads up. I interviewed back in o....October? I am OOS and was waitlisted top 1/3. No phone # in the waitlist letter. I think it's because I am OOS. Hope this bit of information helps clear some of the anxiety about getting or not getting the phone # under your letter. BTW, I will most likely withdraw. GL to all!
 
does anyone know what's happening with the people who called and said they would be getting an interview..? i was told that way back in november but haven't heard anything since..
 
Makoto, are you OS? It seems like mostly OS folks don't have the "call this number" at the bottom of their waitlist letters..... but i could be wrong.. just a thought!

yeah, i'm oos. i guess oos people have no number to call.
 
does anyone know what's happening with the people who called and said they would be getting an interview..? i was told that way back in november but haven't heard anything since..

I read on here a page or so back that they were not going to guarantee an interview to those people who called and were told they would get an interview. Something about too many applicants. I don't know but I think it was on the last page, you could always call again?
 
I read on here a page or so back that they were not going to guarantee an interview to those people who called and were told they would get an interview. Something about too many applicants. I don't know but I think it was on the last page, you could always call again?

Although that may be true for many, my experience ended up being opposite. I called in early December and was told that I would be invited for an interview. However, I did not hear anything (email or snail) after that, so I called back about a week ago, and was told the exact same thing: expect an interview invite soon. At this point I was about to give up on an invite any time soon, if at all. I just received an email invite to interview today (with dates as early as Feb 11). So I recommend not giving up on EVMS; maybe they really are that slow in processing interview invites. BTW, I am IS.
 
Although that may be true for many, my experience ended up being opposite. I called in early December and was told that I would be invited for an interview. However, I did not hear anything (email or snail) after that, so I called back about a week ago, and was told the exact same thing: expect an interview invite soon. At this point I was about to give up on an invite any time soon, if at all. I just received an email invite to interview today (with dates as early as Feb 11). So I recommend not giving up on EVMS; maybe they really are that slow in processing interview invites. BTW, I am IS.

I did not mean to give the impression that you should give up. I just answered a question.
 
I interviewed a couple of weeks ago (OOS) and just got a letter saying I'm on the waitlist. I called today and they told me I'm in the upper third. Can anyone who managed to get in as OOS from the waitlist tell us how they did it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when would be the right time to send a letter of intent for someone waitlisted? has anyone done that yet?
 
I received a rejection letter in error and was then told on the phone I'd be getting an interview. That was about a month ago, and just this week I received my invite. I work at EVMS at The Center. Which makes the waiting for the interview that much more frustrating.

LETTERS of INTENT: Not recommended. Just send a letter with your updates and express your ongoing interest in the school. It's taboo to title it as a letter of intent.

NUMBER for SOLHAUG: You can call the admin office and try to schedule a phone interview with him, but good luck. The admin office is less that wonderful.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.