2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Interviewed at EVMS about a week and a half ago and called and found out I'm in the upper 1/3 of the WL. Hopefully the WL moves in the coming months. :thumbup:

Are you IS or OOS? Seems like whoever interviewed after Dec getting waitlisted. Did you check how long the waitlist is?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm OOS - I forgot to ask about the length of the WL. I'll call tomorrow to find out.

I am on the EVMS OOS wait list. I really really like EVMS and I would love the opportunity to attend. I want to send them an update letter, but I am struggling with what to include.

I was thinking I would write about a clinical paper I am on that is coming out soon in a high impact journal. I also took the GRE in December (for Plan B post-Bacc masters) and did pretty well. What are your thoughts on including that? Any other ideas for the letter?

Also, I did pretty well on the MCAT the first go round (33O), but that was before I had taken most of the supposed pre-reqs. I think I could pull a better score by May. Would they even look at that for this cycle?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the EVMS OOS wait list. I really really like EVMS and I would love the opportunity to attend. I want to send them an update letter, but I am struggling with what to include.

I was thinking I would write about a clinical paper I am on that is coming out soon in a high impact journal. I also took the GRE in December (for Plan B post-Bacc masters) and did pretty well. What are your thoughts on including that? Any other ideas for the letter?

Also, I did pretty well on the MCAT the first go round (33O), but that was before I had taken most of the supposed pre-reqs. I think I could pull a better score by May. Would they even look at that for this cycle?

Thanks

By all means, send a wonderful LOI and tell them about your upcoming publication! That is big news. The GRE, not so much. Relatively few applicants have a GRE score, so it's not really something that can be compared to other applicants or anything.

I'm not sure whether they'd consider your new MCAT score. Unless you feel like taking the prereqs has significantly increased your body of knowledge and will result in a much higher score, I wouldn't retake. Just my $0.02.

I received a letter today about preview weekend. How many people plan to attend? Also, does anyone know if we can go even if we are on the waitlist at that time?

I received a letter today about preview weekend. How many people plan to attend? Also, does anyone know if we can go even if we are on the waitlist at that time?

I am planning to attend. There's a facebook group that you can join which is there to provide information about the weekend. Last time I checked there were 15 people in the group.

Usually, schools will invite all applicants who were accepted along with applicants at the top of the waitlist. This allows the waitlisted to get a second look at the school in case they need to make a decision about where they will attend if they make it off the list. This also is a good indicator as far as you are on the waitlist.

Definitely attend. Preview weekend invite is a good sign for waitlisters. Good opportunity to rub elbows.

Just in case others are wondering: Solhaug told me the other day that there aren't anymore spots. The last of the invites was sent out a while ago, long before I interviewed.

You ever find out how long the WL is? I'm in the middle 1/3 of OOS

that's too bad man, what kind of show are you in?

I'll only tell if you promise not to laugh... :oops:

I'm doing Annie with the second-largest professional children's theatre in the US. I play "man w/ papers" (my favorite role EVER! :laugh:), a servant, a NYC citizen, Fred McCracken, and Harold Ickes. It's so much fun but I can't go to any preview/revisit weekends because of it. :(

Just in case others are wondering: Solhaug told me the other day that there aren't anymore spots. The last of the invites was sent out a while ago, long before I interviewed.[/quote]

Are you sure there are no more invites for the preview weekend? I spoke with admissions about a week ago and they told me that they didn't even know how many they were going to invite yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the office. They haven't finished the list of who they are going to send the preview invites to, but she actually asked for my email/phone number so she could get back to me as soon as she knows more. That's hopeful I guess.

Hmm, I did mean preview weekend. I emailed Solhaug about it, and this is what he said:

Vanessa:
Thanks for your interest.
We have already filled the list of invitees from the wait list.
The purpose is to bring back applicants who have seen EVMS only once.
Dr. Mike Solhaug

Since I work at EVMS, I doubt they'll make a spot for me, but maybe there are still spots. Or maybe the list isn't final yet. I'd keep trying to get on the invite list though. According to EVMS students (and the M1 class pres.) it's a good idea to get to preview weekend.

Vanessa,

Since I'm unable to go, you can just pretend to be me for the weekend. Now just grow to 6'4" and alter your appearance to look like a male! :laugh:

If only I could grow taller... I'd quit medicine and become a model I think.

I'm going to call the office again and see what I can finagle. And that's the first time I've ever used the word finagl in a written sentence. Look at me go!

Looking like a man might be a little bit harder... but these days, you never know!! I got a lot of funny looks when working in a hospital for asking people what sex they are... But you really never know!

I'm going to call the office again and see what I can finagle. And that's the first time I've ever used the word finagl in a written sentence. Look at me go!

Soooo, did you ever hear anything? It seems we're getting different stories from different people there. I really hope they are not done yet, I would really like a chance to go!

Soooo, did you ever hear anything? It seems we're getting different stories from different people there. I really hope they are not done yet, I would really like a chance to go!

Sorry, I didn't have the chance to call today. I'll get to it tomorrow and let you know what I hear!

I'll only tell if you promise not to laugh... :oops:

I'm doing Annie with the second-largest professional children's theatre in the US. I play "man w/ papers" (my favorite role EVER! :laugh:), a servant, a NYC citizen, Fred McCracken, and Harold Ickes. It's so much fun but I can't go to any preview/revisit weekends because of it. :(
It's cool man. I have respect for people that can do theatre and do it well. I don't know anything about those roles, but the fact that you are doing multiple is cool in my book. I hope you enjoy it!

I've just found out that I'm in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. I've skimmed the thread so far, but does anyone really know what the chances are of getting in off the waitlist?

I've just found out that I'm in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. I've skimmed the thread so far, but does anyone really know what the chances are of getting in off the waitlist?

Are you in state or OOS? I've heard the wait list for both have a tendency to move rather quickly. The admissions office told me I should feel opimistic and I'm in the top 1/3 of the IS wait list. Only time will truly tell... more waiting. Love the school though.

I've heard that it's likely you'll be accepted if you're in the top 1/3 of the waitlist.

Where are you going to go Chad5871??? :) Are you going to free up a spot at EVMS for us since you did pretty well this cycle? hahaha :p

Where are you going to go Chad5871??? :) Are you going to free up a spot at EVMS for us since you did pretty well this cycle? hahaha :p

Of my acceptances, EVMS was my least favorite. :( So unless I get significant financial aid I'll be withdrawing and going elsewhere (probably Maryland, maybe VCU...)

Are you in state or OOS? I've heard the wait list for both have a tendency to move rather quickly. The admissions office told me I should feel opimistic and I'm in the top 1/3 of the IS wait list. Only time will truly tell... more waiting. Love the school though.

I'm OOS, hopefully that doesn't hurt me too much...

Hi everyone,
Just got an invitation for the preview weekend (I'm in the top 1/3 of OOS). Hopefully, this is a good sign and I'll move off the WL. Does anyone know what kind of activities go on during the weekend?

Thanks

Hi everyone,
Just got an invitation for the preview weekend (I'm in the top 1/3 of OOS). Hopefully, this is a good sign and I'll move off the WL. Does anyone know what kind of activities go on during the weekend?

Thanks
I am also OOS top1/3 waitlisted and didn't get any invitation. When is preview weekend? Did you get it by snail mail or email?

I actually was told over the phone when I was talking to someone at admissions. Oh, and it's during the 24/25th of April.

Of my acceptances, EVMS was my least favorite. :( So unless I get significant financial aid I'll be withdrawing and going elsewhere (probably Maryland, maybe VCU...)

Well Maryland and VCU are good schools too so you definitely can't lose! haha

I was told today that the preview weekend invite list is completed, and invites have been sent already, and the only way they can offer more invites are if some people start to cancel. I was told I would be getting the invite in the mail tomorrow.

Does anyone know how many people they invite to the preview weekend? Do people in the top 1/3 of the waitlist still have a good chance of getting in without an invitation to the preview weekend? I was thinking maybe they invite more out of state students because they might have less familiarity than in state would with the school... maybe. :confused:

I was told today that the preview weekend invite list is completed, and invites have been sent already, and the only way they can offer more invites are if some people start to cancel. I was told I would be getting the invite in the mail tomorrow.

When is preview weekend? Could you please let me know ASAP? I am OOS and top1/3 waitlist and didn't receive any preview weekend invite.

I have to wait on my parents to check the mail as that is my listed address. I kind of hate not being able to get my own mail. But as soon as they call me and tell me what the letter says I'll let you know! And from what I can tell an invite to preview weekend for waitlisters is a good sign of your ranking in the top 1/3, but it is by no means an indicator of who is definitely going to get in. It just depends on how many people drop their acceptances, and I've read in past threads that people who didn't go to preview weekend got in off the waitlist. I have no idea about the OOS to IS invite ratio, but I agree if I were on the board I would send more to OOS. I'm IS myself. But hey some invites may still be held up in the post. Let you know soon!

Just a quick question!
How did you find out whether you're on the top 1/3, the middle1/3, or the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist?
I recently got a letter saying I've been waitlisted, but it doesn't say where I stand on the wailist. Should I call the admissions office?

Just a quick question!
How did you find out whether you're on the top 1/3, the middle1/3, or the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist?
I recently got a letter saying I've been waitlisted, but it doesn't say where I stand on the wailist. Should I call the admissions office?

You have to call admissions. They will ask for your AMCAS ID # and then they can tell you where you are on the waitlist.

Ok it is the 24th, 25th as someone posted above. Starts that Friday evening until Saturday night.

So, has anyone found out how many people received invites to the preview weekend besides all those accepted? The facebook EVMS preview weekend group is only composed of 23 people telling me this is most likely not an accurate number :p

Also, does anyone know if EVMS makes appointments with the dean to discuss your chances at EVMS for people on the wait list? I've heard of schools doing this after May 15th but never heard of anything at EVMS like this.

What's with this preview weekend business? I'm in the top 1/3 of the waitlist, but didn't get any invitation. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Or when did you guys receive the invite following the initial decision letter? I found out about being waitlisted last week. Maybe I'll get one?...hopefully:(

From what I know, it's not a bad thing to not receive an invitation, although it certainly helps your chances. Many people get in off the WL that were not invited and some that were invited do not get in.

Just got the big packet in the mail!!

Completed sometime in September
Interviewed Jan 7
Waitlisted OOS (female, Californian/Washington, DC) top 1/3 Jan 28
Accepted March 26

Georgetown SMP grad

Iheart-

Have you had your phone interview w/ Dr. S yet? I've been trying to schedule mine for weeks to no avail...

I never got the message to schedule the phone interview with Dr. S. I am instate in top 1/3 of the WL. I was assuming every instate waitlister got it but maybe that is not true. I think I will call and see how things are shaping up waitlist wise. By the way no preview invite here either.

Iheart-

Have you had your phone interview w/ Dr. S yet? I've been trying to schedule mine for weeks to no avail...

I tried to as well. I didn't get the letter about talking to him, but I heard about it via SDN. I kept talking to his assistant, who would take down my information, etc. I emailed him directly, but no word.

In conclusion, he's a tough guy to get a hold of!

I never got the message to schedule the phone interview with Dr. S. I am instate in top 1/3 of the WL. I was assuming every instate waitlister got it but maybe that is not true. I think I will call and see how things are shaping up waitlist wise. By the way no preview invite here either.

When I called last week, they were still telling me they haven't gotten to looking at the WL yet. When I called the DAY my packet was postmarked, they told me the preview weekend (which I did not receive an invite to) was full, and they took down my info to put me on the preview wkend WL.

It's taking no-over-the-phone disclosure to a new level, in a good way, I suppose~

I sent different letters of interest after my interview, I called multiple times... but of course, it might also be just luck, where someone of my demographic stats (OOS female) dropped out, and I got in~

Iheart-

Sorry if I seem a little oblivious, I just started checking this thread. So what's with the interview with Dr. S? Do you get asked to do it? Do I have to call and request one? Is it supposed to help you get off the WL?
Thanks!

Congratulations Iheart on your acceptance.. i think we may have been part of the same SMP class. i'm waitlisted OOS top 1/3.. hoping for the best news...

Status
Not open for further replies.