2008-2009 ETSU (Quillen) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelbug73

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supplemental by email invite (Primary screened)

This supplementary information request provides you the opportunity to address specific points beyond the AMCAS application that you would like the admissions committee to know about you and your candidacy here. Please respond to the three items below. Please limit your response to 2250 characters for each question

a) What characteristics or abilities do you possess that you believe will most contribute to your success as a physician?

b) As the profession of medicine demands physical, intellectual, and emotional commitment, what have you done in your life to demonstrate dedication to the achievement of a life objective?

c) QCOM is recognized as a leader in primary health care education and some of our students choose QCOM for that reason. Other than that as a motivation, what is your rationale for applying to QCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, guess Quillen hasn't been a popular place to apply to this year.

Got an interview invitation today. Does anyone know how far along in the process they are?

Wow, guess Quillen hasn't been a popular place to apply to this year.

Got an interview invitation today. Does anyone know how far along in the process they are?
Not sure but I have an interview coming up. They began to send invites in September and started scheduling them late September I believe.

Looking forward to my interview, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the interviews, how were you notified?

I will be interviewing there next Tuesday. Any advice on where you guys stayed? Coming from Memphis.

Thanks in advance.

I stayed at a Red Roof Inn an exit north of the school. It was certainly not luxurious, but I think it was around 50 bucks. Good luk, I was impressed with the place.

I have an interview next week, and I am excited about seeing the campus.

Last edited:
I have to say I was highly impressed with the campus. I have moved this school to my top choice, now I just have to hope I get in. Being out of state doesnt help my chances though.

so...((through the chirp of crickets)) I received an interview invite today...any thoughts from anyone else on how it went for them?

I interviewed at QCOM two weeks ago. I liked the campus, small class size, the simulator lab, the web connectivity and the cohesiveness of the class. It's a great place if you are into hiking etc.
It is great if you want to go into Rural Medicine.
The exams are not computer based for the most part and there was something about the class structure (I do not remember what) that I was not particularly thrilled about.
My interviews were fine. One of the interviewers had tons of ethical scenarios and questions which were not bad at all.
I stayed at the Comfort Inn and it was pretty decent.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at QCOM two weeks ago. I liked the campus, small class size, the simulator lab, the web connectivity and the cohesiveness of the class. It's a great place if you are into hiking etc.
It is great if you want to go into Rural Medicine.
The exams are not computer based for the most part and there was something about the class structure (I do not remember what) that I was not particularly thrilled about.
My interviews were fine. One of the interviewers had tons of ethical scenarios and questions which were not bad at all.
I stayed at the Comfort Inn and it was pretty decent.

cool..thanks..
where else have you interviewed and how would you rate this school to those based on your experiences?

so...((through the chirp of crickets)) I received an interview invite today...any thoughts from anyone else on how it went for them?

Mine went pretty well. One was fairly tough though. We talked a lot about policy and the uninsured. She kind of grilled me, but I guess you could call it "conversational." That word gets thrown around a lot and I have come to realize that just because an interview is conversational does not mean it is easy or particularly enjoyable. Anyway, ETSU seems to look for a very specific kind of student and certain people are really drawn to a place like ETSU, while some aren't interested at all. I would be happy to go there, but I am just not that interested in rural medicine, so I will be attending elsewhere. Good luck at the interview. Oh and ETSU's website has data on how many have interviewed, been accepted, waitlisted etc. from this year's interviewing class if you are interested. I wish more schools did this.

Mine went pretty well. One was fairly tough though. We talked a lot about policy and the uninsured. She kind of grilled me, but I guess you could call it "conversational." That word gets thrown around a lot and I have come to realize that just because an interview is conversational does not mean it is easy or particularly enjoyable. Anyway, ETSU seems to look for a very specific kind of student and certain people are really drawn to a place like ETSU, while some aren't interested at all. I would be happy to go there, but I am just not that interested in rural medicine, so I will be attending elsewhere. Good luck at the interview. Oh and ETSU's website has data on how many have interviewed, been accepted, waitlisted etc. from this year's interviewing class if you are interested. I wish more schools did this.

cool, thanks a lot...i am interested in rural medicine, but i won't totally make up my mind until i get there as to whether or not it is a viable option for me...i am worried about the interviews as i have not been to any 1 hour long interviews yet, and two of them at that? a little nerve racking, we'll see...thanks for the info, i'll def. check out the website

Anyone else?

Also does anyone know how the traffic is in Johnson City? I am planning on driving up and am leaving an hour leeway for the three hour trip, and hoping it will be enough. I think I will be good as long as Johnson City isn't crazy. Any thoughts?

so, my interview at quillen was great. i really enjoyed and the atmosphere as well..it seems to be a quiet, laid back, serene environment which is what i prefer vs. hustle bustle of the city, a lot of the tecnology seems relatively advanced and the curriculum suits me fine. i definitely enjoyed the school and would like to go there if given the opportunity. (btw i did an interview feedback)

It was definitely a nice little place.

Which technology are you saying is advanced? The white boards or something in the hospital? I must have overlooked this.

It was definitely a nice little place.

Which technology are you saying is advanced? The white boards or something in the hospital? I must have overlooked this.

Yeah it didn't really read right to what i was trying to convey. I don't by any means think that the school IS technologically advanced. Rather I had the impression from that it was a small school, without much technology and kind of in the dark ages of medicine (whatever that is). What I meant by the post is that they were up to par with all other schools that I had been to besides nit-picky things. Sorry for the miswording of my post. You didn't look over anything, I promise. I do like that they have so many simulator dummy things, and they boasted about it quite a bit.

To those who recently interviewed: when did they say the next adcom meeting would be? This information is on the bottom of the first page in the folder that they give you (at least it was when I interviewed there).

To those who recently interviewed: when did they say the next adcom meeting would be? This information is on the bottom of the first page in the folder that they give you (at least it was when I interviewed there).

Pretty sure it was the 16th.

edit: Found my folder and checked, it said the 15th., although I am positive they told us the 16th, because I had it written down since I didn't know it was already typed up...anyway I also know that they said there is a schedule somewhere online that says when they meet as well.?.? sorry since I am not much help

Last edited:
For anyone that has been accepted, do they tell you via email? I know I am in the hold category, and they sent an email.

Just trying to see if all communication is via email.

For anyone that has been accepted, do they tell you via email? I know I am in the hold category, and they sent an email.

Just trying to see if all communication is via email.

I got the same email. Sign........

Anybody got accepted?

hey guys, I was accepted a while back and it was sent via certified mail. I believe that the rejections are also sent through the mail (don't know if it is certified though). I think that only waitlist is through email. good luck

waitlisted...also notified via email...too bad i really liked the school, i WILL be sending letters of interest immediately after receiving my grades.

Regular Mail = Rejection
Email = Wait List
Certified Mail = Acceptance

any news for anyone?
Does anyone know when the adcom meets again? I tried finding the calendar that they mentioned online, but I was not patient enough to search every possible link.

I got the same email. Sign........

Anybody got accepted?

I got the certified acceptance mail yesterday and I was placed on the waiting list last December.

This information maybe useful for those peope who are on the waiting list.

Sending off another letter to the committee today. Keeping fingers crossed.

I got the certified acceptance mail yesterday and I was placed on the waiting list last December.

This information maybe useful for those peope who are on the waiting list.

I am waitlisted at the moment, and don't anticipate being pulled off of it for acceptance. From the time you got waitlisted to the time that you were recently accepted, what did you do? Trying to decide on more schooling, improving MCAT, more ECs...

Last edited:
The admissions committee meets again on the 23rd.

I love this school....so much that I would almost guarantee the dean a win in the dragon boat race if I gained acceptance......

But reality sets in....I'm an OOS who interviewed in Feb. Does anyone know if Quillen will extend more acceptances than their 8 OOS spots before people turn them down OR do we just have to sit on the waitlist until May?

I love this school....so much that I would almost guarantee the dean a win in the dragon boat race if I gained acceptance......

But reality sets in....I'm an OOS who interviewed in Feb. Does anyone know if Quillen will extend more acceptances than their 8 OOS spots before people turn them down OR do we just have to sit on the waitlist until May?

It is a good question. It seems to me that ETSU only offers enough spots for their class. We were told that only 15% of the class would be out of state students. So yeah, I think it is PROBABLY pretty safe to say that none of us will be pulled off the waiting list until someone drops. With that being said, according to last years stats there were 17 total OOS accepted. I take this as meaning that we still have a shot (as of right now anyway). I don't know if we will have to wait until May though. Good Luck.

Yuck....I received word of my status today........the HOLD category :(

Yes, I was still hoping for a miracle......maybe in the future, at least that is what my fortune cookie said yesterday.

Does anyone know/remember when ETSU determines its financial aid packages? I seem to remember thinking that they would be sent after we would already have to make our decisions about what school we were going to attend.

Funny Story.

So I guess the committee met Monday for my interview group, and I didn't get an e-mail, so I have been waiting on the post or something to turn up with a decision. I get home tonight from work around ten and was talking to my brother (my roommate) and he says "oh by the way, you got a thing on the door from UPS saying they tried to deliver a letter" so I said "where is it", and he says "I don't know, I just stuck it back on the door when I left, and when I came back it was gone". So I said "WTF!?" and then I said, "weren't you home all day? why didn't you answer the door" and he says "I don't know, I just didn't feel like it" (he does this a LOT) so I said, "WTF!?" I love my brothers...

Funny Story.

So I guess the committee met Monday for my interview group, and I didn't get an e-mail, so I have been waiting on the post or something to turn up with a decision. I get home tonight from work around ten and was talking to my brother (my roommate) and he says "oh by the way, you got a thing on the door from UPS saying they tried to deliver a letter" so I said "where is it", and he says "I don't know, I just stuck it back on the door when I left, and when I came back it was gone". So I said "WTF!?" and then I said, "weren't you home all day? why didn't you answer the door" and he says "I don't know, I just didn't feel like it" (he does this a LOT) so I said, "WTF!?" I love my brothers...
That is a good story. It sounds like good news is coming your way today though. I thought that the acceptance letters came through certified mail? Either way it sounds good for you. Congrats.

I interviewed 1/12 and got an acceptance letter on 1/30 via certified mail! I'm OOS, so I must say that I'm surprised....definitely was not expecting this one...
I'm elated! First acceptance for me! Class of 2013! :soexcited:

Just seeking info about QCOM and UT Memphis. Any advice from people entering emergency medicine about pro's and con's of the two schools?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when the committee meets next? Still waiting..

Does anyone know/remember when ETSU determines its financial aid packages? I seem to remember thinking that they would be sent after we would already have to make our decisions about what school we were going to attend.

I asked at my interview when scholarships would be awarded and was told that notifications would be sent out this summer (after May 15th).

Status
Not open for further replies.