2020-2021 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: East Tennessee (Quillen)

Members don't see this ad.

Very excited about applying here! Has anyone received a secondary from Quillen yet? I think they holistically screen before sending.
Love your Tag. My wife was a ChemE from TTU....haha, definitely doesn't have any interest in medicine. Yes, they screen holistically. They also go much slower than most schools, very intentional with how they fill the class.

I'm an IS student and I'm excited to be applying here, as this school is my top choice! Still awaiting my MCAT score. Hope to submit my primary application once I receive my score within the next few weeks. I'm concerned about the screening for the CARS subsection in particular. Is there a 123-125 cutoff, even if the overall score is competitive? Does anyone have any information about this? I didn't find MSAR to be particularly helpful regarding this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email confirmation today that my primary application to ETSU was received. For the record my primary was sent out JUL 14th. Pending a screen, they will then send a secondary invite. Not sure if everyone else already got this just want to post for others who may have not.

Edit: I'm an OOS, non-trad (veteran) applicant.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any insight on how they will use AAMC VITA? It is a new requirement for Quillen COM for this cycle. I did a Zoom interview for the last cycle and I hope they keep it.

Just got an e-mail of rejection for a secondary (tear) I'm OS resident of north GA. I thought north GA would be considered the "Appalachian region" but, it is not. Good luck to everyone else!!

Just got an e-mail of rejection for a secondary (tear) I'm OS resident of north GA. I thought north GA would be considered the "Appalachian region" but, it is not. Good luck to everyone else!!
+1 but I live in Florida

Good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused, are yall getting rejection emails or secondaries? I haven't gotten anything at all

@queenbeee None so far for me. Haven't received secondary, just acknowledgement email. 514, 3.7cGPA, OOS non-trad (military).

I didn't realize that they were "anti" non TN residents. I am a non trad vet...I hope that will score me a secondary

I didn't realize that they were "anti" non TN residents. I am a non trad vet...I hope that will score me a secondary
QCOM isn't anti OOS, however, because they intentionally keep their class small (74-77), then they usually only accept around 7-10 OOS. With their focus being along the mountain range, if you are OOS and don't have either top of the line stats, have very intimate relationships to the area, or from the Appalachian area, I wouldn't plan on going far. They are one of the most intentional schools out there with regards to how they fill their class.

Last edited:
Could someone send secondary prompts when you do receive the secondary, pretty please:)

Hopefully we will start seeing secondaries next week! Hoping this school will be my first MD II!!

Secondary received!
Prompts all 750 char:

What about Quillen makes it a good fit for you, and what makes you a good fit for Quillen?

How has the COVID-19 pandemic changed what you think medical school should prepare you to do?

Describe a personal challenge from which you learned something of enduring value. Explain how you think that will influence your medical education and career.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received, OOS (ties to state)

Check your spam folder tho, that's where mine went to

Secondary received IS

Bummed they changed the essays from last year because I already had mine prewritten :dead:

I see that people received secondaries today, thats awesome! Unfortunately, I have not received one yet. Does anyone know if you didn't receive a secondary today does that mean you will not be getting one, or are they still sending them out?

Did anyone get an email stating that they will not receive a secondary?
I'm in the same boat (IS) so I just checked last year's thread. First day secondaries went out last year was 07/31/2019 (nearly a month before this year's 2s), and people were still posting that they got secondaries on 10/01/2019. Doubtful that a school that screens would release all of their secondaries on one day.

Edit: also, it appears if they've decided not to grant a secondary, they notify by snail mail

Last edited:
Has anyone submitted their secondary and still not gotten payment confirmation? Mine has been almost 24 hours and thats the only thing keeping my app from being complete. They definitely took the money out of my account though lol

Has anyone submitted their secondary and still not gotten payment confirmation? Mine has been almost 24 hours and thats the only thing keeping my app from being complete. They definitely took the money out of my account though lol
yes that is how mine is rn

Does anyone else’s portal indicate that Quillen has not received your CASPer scores even though they’ve been sent? Mine were sent to schools (and I double-checked that they were sent to Quillen) about a month or two ago, yet my portal indicates that Quillen has not received them.
Yea mine is like that too even though I sent it over a month ago!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else’s portal indicate that Quillen has not received your CASPer scores even though they’ve been sent? Mine were sent to schools (and I double-checked that they were sent to Quillen) about a month or two ago, yet my portal indicates that Quillen has not received them.
Mine didn’t show up yesterday after i submitted but they did today so maybe just give it another day or so!

Submitted yesterday- it said the payment was not complete and that the casper score was not received even though both had been submitted. Today I have all green checks and just received a complete email now.

Submitted yesterday- it said the payment was not complete and that the casper score was not received even though both had been submitted. Today I have all green checks and just received a complete email now.
Same here!

Submitted my secondary this morning. Received complete email about an hour later. Good luck guys.

Has anyone posted the secondary questions? I haven't gotten one yet, but trying to get a head start.

What is their screening process for sending secondaries? Do they only send to applicants they are going to interview or do they send to everyone as long as you meet minimums?

On their website, it says out of the 2,000-3,000 applications they get, only 500 get secondaries, and 250 get interview invites after that. Also, their class size is around 80 which narrows the list even further. When I called AMCAS, they said almost 10,000 more people are applying because of the 400% ( I think) Fee Assistance Program, and also, if you think about it, the cost of travel is going to be low due to COVID-19, so this is probably another reason that so many people are applying. I am pretty sure they have so many applications to the point that they are being even more selective. This year is just something else. :/

Has anyone posted the secondary questions? I haven't gotten one yet, but trying to get a head start.

cFang posted it above. But if you want to know its the following:

1) What makes Quillen a good fit for you and what about you makes you a good fit for Quillen?

2) How has the COVID-19 pandemic changed what you think medical school should prepare you to do?

3) Describe a personal challenge from which you learned something of enduring value. Explain how you think that will influence your medical education and career.

Each has a 750 character limit. Good Luck!

Anyone with CASPer scores still showing that they haven't been received even though they've been received by other schools?

My portal showed that until I submitted my secondary. After submission, it was fixed.
Weird, I submitted mine this morning and it still shows that the payment and secondary have not been received, I guess someone has to manually go in and mark everything complete.

Does anyone have thoughts/insight into when IIs might start going out?

Weird, I submitted mine this morning and it still shows that the payment and secondary have not been received, I guess someone has to manually go in and mark everything complete.
Yeah, I also had that problem until I received the complete email this morning. Now my portal shows green on all entries. I am also kind of wondering what the email meant by "you can expect to hear back as soon as possible" as in how long until interview invites.

Not entirely sure with COVID-19, but last cycle when I applied I received my II about a month after I was complete.

I just went through last years thread and IIs started going out 2.5-3 weeks after people were complete.

I just went through last years thread and IIs started going out 2.5-3 weeks after people were complete.

I appreciate your dedication and help. Hopefully, that is true even in spite of the current pandemic and we will hear from them at that time.