2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a rejection today...not even a CAP, just a rejection...I'm really shocked and sad. I liked Georgetown.

I interviewed November 18, and the letter was postmarked January 15. Good luck to you guys- hope you get better news than me!

Sorry to hear that, you have great application. I am sure you will get into one of the other schools you interviewed at. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of my interview, my interviewer (whose name I won't mention, but is a very senior member of the faculty) noted that he thinks GW is a better medical school than Georgetown. VERY odd.

Last edited:
At the end of my interview 2 weeks ago, my interviewer (whose name I won't mention, but is a very senior member of the faculty) noted that he thinks GW is a better medical school than Georgetown. VERY odd.

Hmm, interesting, did he say why?

Just to repeat something I said before. the main woman said during my visit that "if you get into your state school."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, interesting, did he say why?

He wasn't very specific, but said it has to do with the facilities and resources, administrators and professors, and opportunities for students outside of the basic sciences.

Just to repeat something I said before. the main woman said during my visit that "if you get into your state school."

I can't find your previous post. What was her note?

He wasn't very specific, but said it has to do with the facilities and resources, administrators and professors, and opportunities for students outside of the basic sciences.

I can't find your previous post. What was her note?

Ha! sorry, my previous post must have made no sense...

I found my post from earlier, it's below:

Ms. Sullivan made a big deal out of saying that if gtown was for you, you'd end up there. But she also said explicitly, "if you get into your state school, GO THERE! Medical education is the same everywhere, and its not worth paying more for it at georgetown."

I thought that was a bit odd, but at least, brutally honest, which was appreciated.

Here's the more direct quote which was fresher in my mind right after the interview.

Ms. Sullivan did seem to go out of her way to note that Georgetown is what it is, and won't try to skew its image to impress candidates. She said that if the wrong type of person attends Georgetown, that's bad for both the student and the school. She didn't give us that particular line about state schools, but I have heard it from other individuals. The tough choice is between a state school, which costs less but doesn't have the reputation and resources of some top 40 private schools, or more expensive private schools that feel more "plush" (though Georgetown's facilities leave a lot to be desired) and have more recognizable names.

rejected as well :(

AHHH you interviewed a day before me. Nothing in the mail for me today. I am on the edge of my seat!

Sorry to hear your bad news.... you are a great applicant with some great acceptances... good luck in your future

AHHH you interviewed a day before me. Nothing in the mail for me today. I am on the edge of my seat!

Sorry to hear your bad news.... you are a great applicant with some great acceptances... good luck in your future

Thanks best of luck to you as well! Don't worry, things will work out for the best!

The tough choice is between a state school, which costs less but doesn't have the reputation and resources of some top 40 private schools, or more expensive private schools that feel more "plush" (though Georgetown's facilities leave a lot to be desired) and have more recognizable names.

It really depends on what you want to do. For academic medicine, of course, play the names game, but it's up to the individual reading your residency app to decide whether or not gtown is one of those names.

But even in this respect, ms sullivan went on to explain how the step one really levels the playing field. If your on the bottom at harvard, i bet someone at the top of gtown could easily get a spot over you.

For private practice, it seems worth thinking over for a while. My doctor acquaintances still lay claim to the fact that no one, not even their bosses during interviews has ever asked them where they went to med school.

which date did you interview?

I am in week 7 post interview and I am getting a little anxious. I guess we had the holidays which pushed back everything so I am trying to figure out whether they are still doing the 6 - 8 weeks response.

which date did you interview?

I am in week 7 post interview and I am getting a little anxious. I guess we had the holidays which pushed back everything so I am trying to figure out whether they are still doing the 6 - 8 weeks response.

9 weeks today!

Relax for another week I think you will probably be close to 8 weeks before you hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have received an acceptance, who received a phone call and who found out by mail?

Ohh yeah, are acceptance letters really in small envelops and not big packets?

9 weeks today!

Relax for another week I think you will probably be close to 8 weeks before you hear anything.

i think we must have interviewed togethor. I have also not heard anything though. So frustrating. Oh well hopefully we'll have a decision this week.

i think we must have interviewed togethor. I have also not heard anything though. So frustrating. Oh well hopefully we'll have a decision this week.

They should mail you the decision this week since you'll be in week 10 already--- and with the holidays delay that would make sense!

goodluck!

Hopefully. What day did you interview? I was the 20th of November. I sitting towards the back of the room, next to Ms. Sullivan when she was talking. Anyway, good luck to you during this week of anticipation. Hopefully we will hear something positive.

Hopefully. What day did you interview? I was the 20th of November. I sitting towards the back of the room, next to Ms. Sullivan when she was talking. Anyway, good luck to you during this week of anticipation. Hopefully we will hear something positive.

ya I was there the 20th too, sitting in sort of the far corner to Sullivan's left. Hopefully we'll hear this week. Do they meet mondays?

ya I was there the 20th too, sitting in sort of the far corner to Sullivan's left. Hopefully we'll hear this week. Do they meet mondays?

I remember them saying at my interview that they meet every second and fourth Thursday of the month ... which means that the next adcom meeting is this Thursday! Goodluck everyone!

I am not sure when they meet. I called and they said a decision has been made on my file, this was thursday. However, it takes a week for it to be released and mailed. Hopefully we will find out this weekend. What is another 5 days when you waited 70. Good luck to you... i know i really want to be at Gtown. It just clicked for me.

i was talking to somebody today and they said decisions are mailed on mondays. who knows how true that was, but perhaps we shall hear soon.

i was talking to somebody today and they said decisions are mailed on mondays. who knows how true that was, but perhaps we shall hear soon.

My decision was mailed on a Wednesday. Take it for what its worth

I know my decision was made on thursday Jan 22. Mrs. Sullivan said it takes a around week to mail. So... Wednesday would make sense. I am so nervous!!!! :/

i just got a call this evening from the Dr. who did my interview and I got accepted! He said that my letter was in the mail. Best of luck to everyone else.

i just got a call this evening from the Dr. who did my interview and I got accepted! He said that my letter was in the mail. Best of luck to everyone else.

Congrats, thats great. I wonder if all accepted applicants get phone calls? I havent heard anything yet. Maybe tomm.

Congrats, thats great. I wonder if all accepted applicants get phone calls? I havent heard anything yet. Maybe tomm.

don't give up hope for sure, i know some people who got in who didn't get calls

Nice job man. Congrats! Has anyone got in off the wait list recently?

I just recently sent in my CAP letter and Mrs. Sullivan mentioned that Dr. Lauerman would most likely be reading some letters next week and would let a few people in based on that.

This may seem a little obsessive... but i dont care.

Does anyone know if acceptance letters are in big packets and everything else is in a small envolopes? I think i remember reading that the acceptance letters were actually not in big packets.... Anyone that was accepted know?

Please if you know... it could keep my hopes alive for another 10 seconds, The time it takes to actually open the letter and read it. haha.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

This may seem a little obsessive... but i dont care.

Does anyone know if acceptance letters are in big packets and everything else is in a small envolopes? I think i remember reading that the acceptance letters were actually not in big packets.... Anyone that was accepted know?

Please if you know... it could keep my hopes alive for another 10 seconds, The time it takes to actually open the letter and read it. haha.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

The acceptance letter comes in a small envelope. It's a little thick, though. Good luck!

Nice job man. Congrats! Has anyone got in off the wait list recently?

I got a call last night from the doctor that interviewed me. She informed me that I had been accepted off of the waitlist and that my letter was in the mail. Yay!!!

Congratulations!!

When did you send in your letter?

How did you find out?

Also, did you get an email for a background criminal check?

I should go check my mail.

Found out via telephone, but I think something will be in the mail soon. :hardy:

Hey guys, long time Gtown lurker and CAP member here.

I have been waiting to see when the CAP would begin to move and now I am REALLY getting anxious. Congrats to all the people accepted right off the bat, and also to the accepted CAPers! Good luck to everyone else and I hope the high % of CAPers make the cut like they usually do!
:luck::xf:

I loooove Georgetown, I am considering passing up instate tuition at one school or a scholarship at another to attend! I hope everything turns out well for my fellow CAPers!!

Well... Tomm is the big day. The admissions office said a letter was mailed on tuesday. I only live 90 miles outside of DC so it should arrive tomm. unfortunately I havent recieved any phone calls congratulating me on acceptance. So we will see what happens tomm around 12:30 :/ I am praying that i dont get rejected, i loved Georgetown.

To all of those who did get accepted congratulations. Georgetown is a terrific school.

Well I am going to try to sleep now... i am sure i wont be able to!

Well... Tomm is the big day. The admissions office said a letter was mailed on tuesday. I only live 90 miles outside of DC so it should arrive tomm. unfortunately I havent recieved any phone calls congratulating me on acceptance. So we will see what happens tomm around 12:30 :/ I am praying that i dont get rejected, i loved Georgetown.

To all of those who did get accepted congratulations. Georgetown is a terrific school.

Well I am going to try to sleep now... i am sure i wont be able to!

Good Luck buddy. :xf: From all your posts on this thread, I can tell you really want this one :)

10 weeks today and still no news. It's so anti-climatic when you have to wait this long....

Anyone get any mail yet? They said mine was mailed out on tuesday but i have yet to recieve it...

To those of you who wrote letters to get off the CAP--did you receive a confirmation email that your letter was accepted?

Thanks in advance

To those of you who wrote letters to get off the CAP--did you receive a confirmation email that your letter was accepted?

Thanks in advance

yes.

Anyone get any mail yet? They said mine was mailed out on tuesday but i have yet to recieve it...

Yes, I recieved mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.