2008-2009 Georgetown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to everyone that interviewed, and if you are feeling down about this admissions process just remember you were once the fastest of millions of sperm and you won the race, it is something to be proud of!

Haha, that is hilarious. I never really thought about it that way.

:laugh: How 'bout eight weeks?

Wow man. I'm past six weeks also...I really want to call because they told us to if it took longer than expected, but I know I'm not the only one waiting so it probably wouldnt do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

That is not unique to Gtown. Every school that I have interviewed at holds a memorial service for the families of the cadavers after the block is over.

Well.... You may be right, I dont know. Georgetown was the only school to let that be known. I think this is good effort by the school to show their humanistic side. I felt very at home at Gtown. I beleive that Georgetown has a high moral standard, and is looking for more than just numbers.

Bah...can I join the club? waitlisted today. Considering how things work, or how they supposedly work, I don't feel too bad. Would have been nice to get that acceptance though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just some info to add.

I was put in the CAP in December last year. Wrote a killer letter in January, and heard nothing forever. Focused on other schools for awhile and forgot about them. Then, out of the blue, was accepted to Georgetown in May. Would have loved the acceptance earlier. Love the school, but had already made other plans.

FYI, someone who interviewed on 10/27 heard back 12/13, was waitlisted.

hey I interviewed with you!!

Hey actually no we didn't, the person I was talking about was you! I stalked you via MDapps. I interviewed either on 10/28 or 10/29, I don't remember which day it was. Are you going to write them a letter to try to get off the waitlist?

Interviewed 10/14, Rejected a couple of days ago... The funny thing is, my interviewer was half an hour late.

Rejected? Not waitlisted?

Your interviewer was half an hour late? Yikes. That's awful.

Confused as to why it is so surprising, and so awful, that an interviewer was late? They have other stuff to do.

If they have other things to do, they should not volunteer to interview. It's really as simple as that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think these interviewers do this for a LIVING? they are juggling things just like everyone else.

And why do you care? Did you have something more important to be doing? What if you were in a deep discussion in an interview and he just cut you off and said, "gotta go, have a quota of premeds to meet." not cool.

I had a couple of interviewers who were late for me, including over an hour at GW. No biggie. Stuff happens.

You must be very young and not have too much real world experience to be so put off by a little lateness. Welcome to real life!!

justapremed, i hope you end up at a school where you're happy.

You think these interviewers do this for a LIVING? they are juggling things just like everyone else.

And why do you care? Did you have something more important to be doing? What if you were in a deep discussion in an interview and he just cut you off and said, "gotta go, have a quota of premeds to meet." not cool.

I had a couple of interviewers who were late for me, including over an hour at GW. No biggie. Stuff happens.

You must be very young and not have too much real world experience to be so put off by a little lateness. Welcome to real life!!

This was an intensely stupid post warranting very little in response.

Hey actually no we didn't, the person I was talking about was you! I stalked you via MDapps. I interviewed either on 10/28 or 10/29, I don't remember which day it was. Are you going to write them a letter to try to get off the waitlist?

Oh I see, haha. Well good luck, your decision should be coming soon. yeah, definitely writing the letter, I really like Georgetown. :xf:

Anyone who interviewed November 3rd-7th heard back yet?

i never got around to doing this secondary, but now that it's the winter break, do you think it's too late to submit it now?

I tried searching through the thread for this and couldn't find what I was looking for:
Does anyone have the definitive format for the waitlist LOI? I think the format is three paragraphs, is that right? Also, who do we send it to and do we send it as an attachment, or snail mail it, or put it in the body of an email?

Address letter to: Dr. William C. Lauerman, MD
Send letter as attachment to Mrs. Donna Sullivan at [email protected]

3 paragraph letter (limit to one page) about why you want to go to Georgetown/why you feel it is a good fit.

Hope this helps

Address letter to: Dr. William C. Lauerman, MD
Send letter as attachment to Mrs. Donna Sullivan at [email protected]

3 paragraph letter (limit to one page) about why you want to go to Georgetown/why you feel it is a good fit.

Hope this helps

Thank you!! That helps a lot.
The waitlist bandwagon kinda sucks huh Decicco ? Here's to us jumping off sometime in the near future! :xf:

Anyone know how many people get interviewed and then accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

Anyone know how many people get interviewed and then accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

I think I have personally posted this 3 times but here it is again.

10643 applied
1236 interviewed
376 were accepted
190 enrolled

***Georgetown tends to waitlist most interviewees and then ask them to write a letter of interest. They then take individuals who wrote a letter. At my interview I was told that out of the people who were wait listed, 150 of them wrote letters and 148 of those were offered acceptance.***

10643 applied
1236 interviewed
376 were accepted
190 enrolled

***Georgetown tends to waitlist most interviewees and then ask them to write a letter of interest. They then take individuals who wrote a letter. At my interview I was told that out of the people who were wait listed, 150 of them wrote letters and 148 of those were offered acceptance.***

Sorry to have you post this again. I should have looked at earlier posts to find this data. But thanks, I really appreciate it.

Wow, if 148 out of the 150 got accepted... that's really good.

Has anyone who interviewed the week of November 3-7th heard anything back?

10643 applied
1236 interviewed
376 were accepted
190 enrolled

I remember them saying that it was 50-70% of the people who wrote letters were taken.

Or was it 50-70% of people who were on the CAP?

Hmm. As my letter went out a few days ago, I really hope you're right.

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the SMP program at Georgetown and wanted to say that you guys are applying to a great school. If you have any questions about the curriculum, professors or life here at Georgetown let me know and I'd be happy to answer as best I can.

As an SMP student I've taken all of the first year med school classes so far except for the microbio class. Good luck through the admissions process!!

For anyone who has been accepted... what type of envolope do the letters come in? Is it a big packet or a standard letter? I will be back at school when my decision comes. This will help me determine how fast i want to come home and get the letter. lol

Thanks

For anyone who has been accepted... what type of envolope do the letters come in? Is it a big packet or a standard letter? I will be back at school when my decision comes. This will help me determine how fast i want to come home and get the letter. lol

Thanks

Excellent question. Btw, when did you interview? I interviewed 2 months ago and still haven't heard back!

I'm almost positive that the wait-list and rejections come in regular envelopes while the acceptances come in a large packet. I should be hearing any time now (tomorrow will be 7 weeks) and I am pretty much expecting a wait list because it seems like everyone on this forum has been "CAP'd"

How long did it take others to hear back post interview....it seems like it is taking forever for me.

How long did it take others to hear back post interview....it seems like it is taking forever for me.

I interviewed Nov. 5 and haven't heard anything.

I'm going to wait a week or so after New Year's and then call if I still haven't gotten something in the mail.

I interviewed Nov. 5 and haven't heard anything.

I'm going to wait a week or so after New Year's and then call if I still haven't gotten something in the mail.

I interviewed on Nov 7th and still haven't heard anything either. I keep hoping it will come but it seems they may be a little behind on decisions.

Hey does anyone know the Dr.'s name who helps run the student-run clinic? She is an internest with red curly hair. I didn't interview with her but wanted to mention her in my LOI. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

I interviewed over 9 weeks ago and still haven't heard. Just emailed them. They said they made a decision and will mail it out 1/5/08. I'm presuming there will be a large batch of acceptances/wait lists/rejections in this mailing.

Hey does anyone know the Dr.'s name who helps run the student-run clinic? She is an internest with red curly hair. I didn't interview with her but wanted to mention her in my LOI. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

Her name is Dr. Moore. She is currently my preceptor in our ethics and cultural competency small group session, and quite possibly the nicest person I have met so far at Georgetown.

Eileen Moore, M.D. - Assistant Dean for Community Education and Advocacy
Phone: 202.687.1640
Email: [email protected]

I interviewed over 9 weeks ago and still haven't heard. Just emailed them. They said they made a decision and will mail it out 1/5/08. I'm presuming there will be a large batch of acceptances/wait lists/rejections in this mailing.

Thanks! Hopefully it will contain good news!

1/5 will be exactly 8 weeks for me and I really want to know their decision. I hope my letter will be in the mail next week! :luck: :scared:

I interviewed 10 weeks ago from yesterday. I e-mailed them a little while back and they said they were expecting to mail out my letter the first week of January. I also know that someone on my interview day received their letter before Christmas (i think they were put on CAP) and that letter was dated December 9.

Accepted!!! :D:clap::D

I got a voicemail from my interviewer this afternoon with the good news!

Apparently a bunch of letters went out today, so hopefully a lot of people who are waiting post-interview will find out a decision this week. :luck:

Hey blurrylines, did you interview nov 10? if so, i interviewed with you!

Hey blurrylines, did you interview nov 10? if so, i interviewed with you!

I interviewed November 5th, so less than a week before you.
If you haven't heard anything yet, best of luck!

Accepted!!! :D:clap::D

I got a voicemail from my interviewer this afternoon with the good news!

Apparently a bunch of letters went out today, so hopefully a lot of people who are waiting post-interview will find out a decision this week. :luck:

Congrats! Interviewed 11/7 so hoping to hear soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.