2008-2009 University of Maryland Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their website actually says 4-6 weeks, so I'm not expecting anything for a while. I forgot to ask at my interview day - I might call later this week and ask (anybody want to call for me?) ;)

They also notify by snail mail.

Source: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/admissions/faq.asp

I seen that official 4-6 weeks thing, but I know several people who were accepted last year in October and none of them had to wait longer than 3 weeks.

I just asked in hopes that someone did remember to ask on their interview day. I forgot also.

Members don't see this ad.

I seen that official 4-6 weeks thing, but I know several people who were accepted last year in October and none of them had to wait longer than 3 weeks.

I just asked in hopes that someone did remember to ask on their interview day. I forgot also.

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed to hear something from them next week. It's one of my top choices for sure!

During my interview, the Dean said it would be about 3-4 weeks. But apparently they are backed up, so maybe a little longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my interview, the Dean said it would be about 3-4 weeks. But apparently they are backed up, so maybe a little longer.

When I interviewed, they said they'd do their best to get us responses by the 15th. Did someone call and find something other than this out?

When I interviewed, they said they'd do their best to get us responses by the 15th. Did someone call and find something other than this out?

They also told me they would try to send out decisions on the 15th when I interviewed on 9/24. They only notify of admissions decisions by snail mail, so if they mailed them out on the 15th, it should be a few days before they arrive. Good luck!

They also told me they would try to send out decisions on the 15th when I interviewed on 9/24. They only notify of admissions decisions by snail mail, so if they mailed them out on the 15th, it should be a few days before they arrive. Good luck!

cool thanks for letting me know. how did you find out about the snail mail only style? would you link me to it?

cool thanks for letting me know. how did you find out about the snail mail only style? would you link me to it?

http://medschool.umaryland.edu/admissions/faq.asp#39

When should I expect a decision on my application? I just interviewed.
We will make every effort to notify you of a decision on your application within four to six weeks from the time of your interview. Some applicants may hear sooner, some a bit later. A heavy workload in the Office of Admissions may extend the time frame a bit, as will the major holidays. A letter notifying you of the Committee's decision will be sent to your permanent mailing address. We WILL NOT send notification of this decision to you by email.

Two people posted they received acceptances from Maryland in the Acceptance Thread last night. They interviewed on 9/24 and 9/29. I interviewed the 6th, so maybe by next Thursday I should hear something? We'll see...

Two people posted they received acceptances from Maryland in the Acceptance Thread last night. They interviewed on 9/24 and 9/29. I interviewed the 6th, so maybe by next Thursday I should hear something? We'll see...

They were both in-state at Maryland as well. I interviewed on 10/1, so I'm praying to get something in the mail today. Plus, I'm OOS so theoretically it would take an extra day or two to get to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been almost 5 days since anyone reported an acceptance. I assume that Maryland mails all of their acceptances on a given day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, I guess). Only explanation I can think of for no one else reporting an acceptance since. Hopefully someone hears something from Maryland in the next few days.

And yes, I realize not everyone rushes straight to SDN to post about their acceptance.

U Maryland wins the coolest medical school tour award for me. They had two groups, and everyone in mine had finished their interviews in the morning, so our guide took his time. The most interesting part was going into the anatomy lab and looking at hearts, brains, and fully dissected cadavers. We also went into the shock trauma unit and saw the doctors and residents in action, saw a helicopter being unloaded, and visited the pediatric ward. Not to mention that a lot of the hospital is fairly new and advanced.

I came away with a really great impression of the school.
Now I really want to get in!

It's been almost 5 days since anyone reported an acceptance. I assume that Maryland mails all of their acceptances on a given day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, I guess). Only explanation I can think of for no one else reporting an acceptance since. Hopefully someone hears something from Maryland in the next few days.

And yes, I realize not everyone rushes straight to SDN to post about their acceptance.

I think you are correct. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that their admissions committee meets once a week (maybe Tuesdays?) so it would make sense if acceptances go out the next day. Also, someone here said that decisions are mailed about 3 weeks after interview. Last week someone was accepted that interviewed 2 days before me, so I'm hoping I'll hear something this week. Please, let me in! I really like this school!

I think you are correct. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that their admissions committee meets once a week (maybe Tuesdays?) so it would make sense if acceptances go out the next day. Also, someone here said that decisions are mailed about 3 weeks after interview. Last week someone was accepted that interviewed 2 days before me, so I'm hoping I'll hear something this week. Please, let me in! I really like this school!
A friend from last year said her acceptance was dated 10 days after her interview, and arrived about 2 weeks after her interview. She interviewed around the same time as you and I, Chad. So I'm really hoping the turn around is even less than three weeks. The suspense is killing me. I love this school!

A friend from last year said her acceptance was dated 10 days after her interview, and arrived about 2 weeks after her interview. She interviewed around the same time as you and I, Chad. So I'm really hoping the turn around is even less than three weeks. The suspense is killing me. I love this school!

I love this school too! It's probably my second choice of all the schools I applied to. I bet we do hear something this week! Good luck to you!

Are you IS or OOS?

I love this school too! It's probably my second choice of all the schools I applied to. I bet we do hear something this week! Good luck to you!

Are you IS or OOS?
IS. Best of luck to you as well!

So to cut down on the side-effects of anxiety, nausea, insomnia, and a general fear of rejection as a result of waiting for a potential acceptance from Maryland. I posting my theories here to ease my woes.

Anyways, the only two acceptances for Maryland on SDN were received via snail mail on Thursday of last week (the 16th). Assuming they mail acceptances the same day each week (though last week could be an exception because of the 15th being the first day and all), anyone hoping for an acceptance should probably start feeling (more) nervous tomorrow night. For OOSers like Chad, it might be an extra (Friday in this case). I dunno. All I know is work is really dragging while waiting for notification. Ugh...

I interviewed on the 24th, live in Baltimore city, and have not received anything in the mail (hoping this is not a bad sign...). The kid that received his letter on the 15th must have a pretty fast post office/mail man if letters went out on the 15th.

Blurrylines, was your tour guide Matt? I went on the same tour.

Good luck to everyone, hopefully we all hear soon!

I interviewed on the 24th, live in Baltimore city, and have not received anything in the mail (hoping this is not a bad sign...). The kid that received his letter on the 15th must have a pretty fast post office/mail man if letters went out on the 15th.

Blurrylines, was your tour guide Matt? I went on the same tour.

Good luck to everyone, hopefully we all hear soon!

One of your interviewers probably couldn't make it to the adcom meeting and wasn't able to present your file to the group. It's probably not reflective of the ultimate final decision from them...

Has anyone been rejected or waitlisted post-interview yet?

One of your interviewers probably couldn't make it to the adcom meeting and wasn't able to present your file to the group. It's probably not reflective of the ultimate final decision from them...

Has anyone been rejected or waitlisted post-interview yet?
Definitely wondering that as well. I called yesterday and was told to expect some notification this week. Now I'm hoping the only notifications they're sending out are acceptances.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but when I interviewed (the 3rd week of interviews) Dr. Foxwell said something to the effect of everyone interviewed in the two preceding weeks would probably be accepted. And he said 95% of the people on my day would be accepted. Don't take that as gospel, but something to that effect was said.

Crossing my fingers and hoping to hear something today.

Last edited:
Definitely wondering that as well. I called yesterday and was told to expect some notification this week. Now I'm hoping the only notifications they're sending out are acceptances.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but when I interviewed (the 3rd week of interviews) Dr. Foxwell said something to the effect of everyone interviewed in the two preceding weeks probably being accepted. And he said 95% of the people on my day would be accepted. Don't take that as gospel, but something to that effect was said.

Crossing my fingers and hoping to hear something today.

Wow, that is awesome news! I had an interview with the associate director of admissions and she told me that the admissions committee tends to be much more forgiving and "generous" earlier in the cycle. From what she said, it seemed that they put a huge emphasis on applying early (and getting interviewed early). I really consider myself honored to have been invited to interview so early in the season (my original invite was for a 9/24 interview date but I had to reschedule), especially as an OOS applicant.

I'm crossing my fingers for both of us! Good luck! :luck: Is Maryland your top choice?

Wow, that is awesome news! I had an interview with the associate director of admissions and she told me that the admissions committee tends to be much more forgiving and "generous" earlier in the cycle. From what she said, it seemed that they put a huge emphasis on applying early (and getting interviewed early). I really consider myself honored to have been invited to interview so early in the season (my original invite was for a 9/24 interview date but I had to reschedule), especially as an OOS applicant.

I'm crossing my fingers for both of us! Good luck! :luck: Is Maryland your top choice?
Definitely. So needless to say, I'll be waiting with bated breathe for the rest of this week.

Only the rest of the day and tomorrow.... ahhhh!

Sigh...I really want an interview with this school. I'm OOS but I'm in school right down the interstate. I already have some acceptances, but I really wanted to go here. Does anyone know how this school feels about letters of interest? I applied really early in the season and nothing yet...

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!! I interviewed 5 days before you and got nothing in the mail today... my fingers are crossed for hearing some news tomorrow.

Maryland is definitely one of my top choices.

Thank you!! I'm sure you'll hear good news soon! You're OOS so it will probably just take a little longer.

And yeah, I'm really siked, UMSOM would definitely be an awesome place to end up.

Let me preface my question by saying that I am from Southern California:

What is the weather like in Baltimore. My interview will be on 11/5. Does it start snowing? Will I need a thick jacket, or will a sweater or a sweatshirt suffice?

What is the weather like in Baltimore. My interview will be on 11/5. Does it start snowing? Will I need a thick jacket, or will a sweater or a sweatshirt suffice?

by 11/15 it is usually kind of chilly, but not exactly what I would call "cold." Tho it may be "freezing" by SoCal standards. Id say it averages around the mid 50s for a high, but in the morning it's usually like right around freezing. You'll definitely need a jacket for the morning, by the afternoon you can probably take it off.

Then again, Maryland weather swings wildly, maybe when you come it will be like 80 degrees or something.......or 10. We got some funky weather here.

Good luck on your Maryland interview!

Right now in the morning, its chilly. A thick sweatshirt, and a hat does me fine. And as was said, the afternoon warms up...as long as the sun comes out. Doesn't look like that's going to happen today, which keeps it much cooler.

I'd say, pretty confidently that it will not be snowing during your visit, and it is not something you should prepare for. We havent gotten much snow in MD the last couple of years, we get sleet/freezing rain, but really only in the winter.

It may be rainy though and the UMD interview day did require some being outside, and lots of walking though. A nice suit may do the trick... but I guess its best just to be prepared for the possibilities.

So i sent in my application for in state status and received a letter back today saying that ive been denied because im registered to vote in another state. i lived in maryland all of my life but registered to vote in virginia (where i go to school) since my vote would probably make more a difference here. does anybody know if there is any way that i can still get in state classification, or is voter registration a mandatory thing. (also, the deadline for registering i think is passed... so even if i wanted to i dont hink i can register in maryland anymore :(!)

lamaco,

Have you heard anything back yet? I interviewed 10/1 and someone at my interview day has already received an acceptance (someone else who interviewed a few days after me has received one as well)... I'm hoping for some correspondence from them on Monday, but I'm starting to get worried! :scared:

lamaco,

Have you heard anything back yet? I interviewed 10/1 and someone at my interview day has already received an acceptance (someone else who interviewed a few days after me has received one as well)... I'm hoping for some correspondence from them on Monday, but I'm starting to get worried! :scared:

Still haven't heard anything. I'm going to call on Tuesday if I don't have anything in the mail when I get off work on Monday.

So i sent in my application for in state status and received a letter back today saying that ive been denied because im registered to vote in another state. i lived in maryland all of my life but registered to vote in virginia (where i go to school) since my vote would probably make more a difference here. does anybody know if there is any way that i can still get in state classification, or is voter registration a mandatory thing. (also, the deadline for registering i think is passed... so even if i wanted to i dont hink i can register in maryland anymore :(!)

Voter registration is one of the main things they look at. You can write an appeal letter explaining your circumstances (residency in Maryland, only recently registering to vote in Virginia for this election, family in Maryland, etc). Do you have a car? Where is it registered? Is your license a Maryland license? If so, these are things you should also mention in such a letter. If you're denied in-state status but still get accepted, your other option is to bite the bullet for 1st year and pay out of state and register to vote in Maryland as soon as you can, and refile for in-state status during your first year.

Yay, just booked my flight to BWI. Where is the best place to stay for the interview? Also, what is the best/ and or cheapest route for transportation... btw I am 20, so I cannot rent a car...

Thanks in advance!

Yay, just booked my flight to BWI. Where is the best place to stay for the interview? Also, what is the best/ and or cheapest route for transportation... btw I am 20, so I cannot rent a car...

Thanks in advance!

Hm I stayed at Mt Vernon hotel, which, with the univ of Maryland applicant discount, ended up being ~$100 for Sunday night stay. There were really nice looking buildings around, a fancy public library nearby, and food places :-D (or at least I thought so!!). Hotel was nice and the staff was super friendly. Walking to school took me (pretty fast walker) about 30 minutes. So on the actual day of interview, I took a cab which costed like $5 in the morning and about $7 at the end of the day (more traffic) b/w the hotel and the school.

Oh and I really want an acceptance from here!!! I think it's my top choice thus far! I loved it. The library was really cool too with the staircase. And I love the class schedule! But I'm a little iffy on how my interview with the MSII went.......

Oh and I really want an acceptance from here!!! I think it's my top choice thus far! I loved it. The library was really cool too with the staircase. And I love the class schedule! But I'm a little iffy on how my interview with the MSII went.......

I thought your interview was next week (according to your MDApps it's on 11/5)...

I thought your interview was next week (according to your MDApps it's on 11/5)...

Oh hahaha that's really because I don't know how to use MDApps. They originally scheduled me for 11/5, but I had to reschedule it because the date didn't work. So I interviewed a week ago from today.

A while ago I was updating MDApps and saw the whole calendar thing to put dates of when we got interviews, rejections, etc. So I put in the dates, but didn't see it displayed on my profile, so I just forgot about those (after inputting the 11/5 date) until recently when I read one of the posts about having to click the little triangle on the left side :p I should go update my MDApps... not much has changed unfortunately!

Hm I stayed at Mt Vernon hotel, which, with the univ of Maryland applicant discount, ended up being ~$100 for Sunday night stay. There were really nice looking buildings around, a fancy public library nearby, and food places :-D (or at least I thought so!!). Hotel was nice and the staff was super friendly. Walking to school took me (pretty fast walker) about 30 minutes. So on the actual day of interview, I took a cab which costed like $5 in the morning and about $7 at the end of the day (more traffic) b/w the hotel and the school.

Thanks! What would one do about getting to the hotel from the airport, and from the school to the airport? Does Baltimore have good public transportation?

I didn't get anything today either. I might call tomorrow and see if a decision has been made on my file.

Anyone know if they'll give us status updates (or even tell us the final decision) over the phone? This waiting is killing me!

Thanks! What would one do about getting to the hotel from the airport, and from the school to the airport? Does Baltimore have good public transportation?

public transportation here isn't that great.
from the airport into the city (depending on where your hotel is), the light rail is a viable option. i wouldn't really trust the buses though in the city.

I never filled out the in-state form. Should I do that since I do have Maryland residency. Will that help you think?

So I broke down and called today. The admissions officer who answered the phone seemed a little annoyed when I asked if a decision had been made on my file, but I know how she feels (working in customer service for over 2 years)! Anyway, she told me that despite what we were told on our interview days (some are saying they were told we'd hear back in 3 weeks), it really can take 4 to 6 weeks. She said that you're "not supposed to call after an interview" and as soon as the committee makes a decision on our file, we will be immediately notified by mail, whether it's an acceptance, waitlist, or rejection.

So for those of us who have been waiting for more than 3 weeks: hang in there! No news is NOT necessarily bad news... it's just no news. ;)

have anyone gotten an interview invite from here lately?? I really want one!

public transportation here isn't that great.
from the airport into the city (depending on where your hotel is), the light rail is a viable option. i wouldn't really trust the buses though in the city.

Having grown up in Baltimore, I second that. The light rail isn't bad, and it leaves from the airport. I wouldn't ride the buses. And you're probably better off not renting a car anyway since the parking (unless your hotel has parking) is expensive and not always close to where you want to be.

I got a letter today saying that no decision has been made on my file and it is still in active consideration. Sooo...no rejection, waitlist, or acceptance...How should I react to this? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.