2008-2009 University of Maryland Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain this. I was complete at Georgetown and UMD at the same time, but somehow I have already been invited to Georgetown and have already had my interview. Georgetown gets over 10,000 applicants so they have to go through a lot more applications. How come I have not heard anything from Maryland, but have heard from Gtown?

I figured because Maryland has far fewer applicants and because I'm in-state, I would surely hear from them first.

Is the admissions department just much more thorough at Georgetown?

No offense intended, and I know nothing about you specifically, but why on earth in this process would someone assume they were "owed" an interview? Is there some joint process that links Georgetown interviews to Maryland interviews automatically?

Sometimes a school just doesn't want to interview you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has received a "wait" letter. It says that the committee cannot come to a decision at this moment and will periodically review my app 'till they do. Apparently I'm not accepted, rejected, or wait-listed. I'm limbo-ed.

So basically, what has been the word on the grapevine for this? Good, bad, ugly, etc? Thanks

did you get the message via snail mail? when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense intended, and I know nothing about you specifically, but why on earth in this process would someone assume they were "owed" an interview? Is there some joint process that links Georgetown interviews to Maryland interviews automatically?

Sometimes a school just doesn't want to interview you.

And you assumed in your post that I expected an Interview. Please quote me where I said Maryland "owed" me an interview. Not once did I say I expected an interview. I assumed that because Georgtown has far more applicants and thus has to go through many more applications, that Maryland would have gotten back to me sooner for good or for bad.

I was also under the impression that when a school doesn't want to interview you, they reject you. Am I missing something?

And you assumed in your post that I expected an Interview. Please quote me where I said Maryland "owed" me an interview. Not once did I say I expected an interview. I assumed that because Georgtown has far more applicants and thus has to go through many more applications, that Maryland would have gotten back to me sooner for good or for bad.

I was also under the impression that when a school doesn't want to interview you, they reject you. Am I missing something?

Many/most schools prefer to string you along and give you no answer until it's assumed you're not getting an interview (they'll usually send you a "Sorry, but we just had too many quality applicants this year . . . " letter right around your first day of school at a medical school to which you WERE accepted). I assumed you were operating under this set of circumstances, in which case I responded as such. If that wasn't your intention, it's my fault for reading into it too much.

As a general rule, you'll hear about getting an interview long before you'll hear about being rejected. Some schools will differ, though.

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has received a "wait" letter. It says that the committee cannot come to a decision at this moment and will periodically review my app 'till they do. Apparently I'm not accepted, rejected, or wait-listed. I'm limbo-ed.

So basically, what has been the word on the grapevine for this? Good, bad, ugly, etc? Thanks

I got this letter at the end of October. Haven't heard anything since...

Many/most schools prefer to string you along and give you no answer until it's assumed you're not getting an interview (they'll usually send you a "Sorry, but we just had too many quality applicants this year . . . " letter right around your first day of school at a medical school to which you WERE accepted). I assumed you were operating under this set of circumstances, in which case I responded as such. If that wasn't your intention, it's my fault for reading into it too much.

As a general rule, you'll hear about getting an interview long before you'll hear about being rejected. Some schools will differ, though.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that they waited so long to reject applicants; that blows. I thought they rejected you just as quick as they invited you.

Is it okay to email the school and check for the status of your application? I more or so just want to check and make sure I have all of my materials in even though their website has me listed as such. One guy on SDN had his status page showing that he had everything in, but for some reason hey misplaced his rec letters and maryland did not consider him complete.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that they waited so long to reject applicants; that blows. I thought they rejected you just as quick as they invited you.

Is it okay to email the school and check for the status of your application? I more or so just want to check and make sure I have all of my materials in even though their website has me listed as such. One guy on SDN had his status page showing that he had everything in, but for some reason hey misplaced his rec letters and maryland did not consider him complete.

calling them would be better. just say you've been complete since around X day, and you wanted to check on your status and make sure all your materials were in, since you haven't heard back.

I got the wait letter by snail mail

October huh....man, this sucks. Wonder if we're still in the running or if this is actually a slow death?

for those who got a waitlist letter, when did you guys interview?

i interviewed early nov and got the hold letter 2.5 weeks later. It seems like a lot of people are getting this letter.

Lets start a tally. Who that has interviewed recieved this letter. Also, not if you are IS or OOS.

I did call admissions and they told me that i most likely wouldnt find out till May if was accepted.

So, for the tally i am IS and friend of mine who is IS got this letter:

IS: 2

OOS: 0

WOW:eek:

Maryland is as horrible to its residents as California is... Good luck you guys!:luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
I wonder what the MCAT trend has been for people who got this letter - especially VR because from what I've heard that is what bears the most weight with them...just a thought.

I got rejected post-interview last year, so a pseudo-waitlist should be a sigh of relief. Except for that hellish waiting.

UMD, Pleeeaaaase don't be mean to me this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, May eh? Well, time to hunker down to try and outlast the waitlists- both U pitt and U md. The MCAT thing is interesting- VR was my lowest score: BS14 PS12 VR9. That might have some actual weight in their decision.

For your tally, I'm OOS.

It's funny that they'd use this pseudo waitlist without just going ahead and waitlisting us. Wonder what the purpose is...

Also, Dr. Funky: Do you know anything about the Dartmouth interview invites? I've been complete there for ages and not a peep! Did they say anything while you were there? I know this is the wrong thread but I'd appreciate some input.

i interviewed early nov and got the hold letter 2.5 weeks later. It seems like a lot of people are getting this letter.

Lets start a tally. Who that has interviewed recieved this letter. Also, not if you are IS or OOS.

I did call admissions and they told me that i most likely wouldnt find out till May if was accepted.

So, for the tally i am IS and friend of mine who is IS got this letter:

IS: 2

I received the hold letter and am in-state:

IS: 3

Hm, May eh? Well, time to hunker down to try and outlast the waitlists- both U pitt and U md. The MCAT thing is interesting- VR was my lowest score: BS14 PS12 VR9. That might have some actual weight in their decision.

For your tally, I'm OOS.

It's funny that they'd use this pseudo waitlist without just going ahead and waitlisting us. Wonder what the purpose is...

I think with a 14 in BS they are going to overlook a 9: MDApps has shown they've already accepted several people with a 9 in VR if they had significantly higher scores in the other sections. I think 8 would be the number to raise a few eyebrows. OOS I would say is the bigger factor, unless you're from a neighboring state.

Maybe they're pulling the same stunt Pitt is by putting more people on the waitlist and hold back the bulk of acceptances until they have a chance to sort through everything again. Seems a little nutty though.

OOS, 36O(13P,13B,10V). Interviews went very well. Got the letter after more than a month. Admissions office staff seemed very unfriendly when I call and even when I was there personally for interview, but I liked the students there.
Looking at the last year's stats chances for held people look bleak. Probably about 10% chance.

Also received the hold letter, and I'm IS.

Also, Dr. Funky: Do you know anything about the Dartmouth interview invites? I've been complete there for ages and not a peep! Did they say anything while you were there? I know this is the wrong thread but I'd appreciate some input.

It is random.... I still do not understand how they pick even after the interview...

Oh and I am really sad that Maryland is waitlisting so many great applicants. One of the reasons I am excited about Maryland is because of all the awesome people I met during the interview... I am betting they are waitlisting more this year, just like Pitt.

Pre interview hold here as well. International applicant.
How bad is it?

Pre-interview hold today for me as well. International.

Same here, OOS. it looks like they're putting the best applicants on hold :cool:

Are you in-state or out-of-state? I received the email as well.

Well, i would like to be in-state, but i havent sent in my residency form yet; do you think they look for that this early in the process? I once heard Dean Foxwell say they just let you declare in-state if you want to for admissions purposes, and only check that out if you get in, for tuition purposes. Don't know if thats true though ...

Did you appreciate the pasted image of Dean Foxwell's signature at the bottom fo the email? The personal touch warmed my heart ...

Well, i would like to be in-state, but i havent sent in my residency form yet; do you think they look for that this early in the process? I once heard Dean Foxwell say they just let you declare in-state if you want to for admissions purposes, and only check that out if you get in, for tuition purposes. Don't know if thats true though ...

Did you appreciate the pasted image of Dean Foxwell's signature at the bottom fo the email? The personal touch warmed my heart ...

i got the hold email today too, and i have been complete since 9/29. i was also wonderin about this instate thing, because i am in state, but i JUST got verified through records and registration like yesterday.. so i dont know if they reviewed my app as an OOS person or as IS, but i def am IS

if anybody knows about the in-state status stuff then please post! thnxx

i got the hold email today too, and i have been complete since 9/29. i was also wonderin about this instate thing, because i am in state, but i JUST got verified through records and registration like yesterday.. so i dont know if they reviewed my app as an OOS person or as IS, but i def am IS

I'm not sure, but today's news makes your user name sound pretty good right now, maybe minus the coke part ...

Last edited:
Pre-interview hold for me too today.....

Has anyone been rejected yet?

Complete 8/20. 31 MCAT. 3.7 cumulative GPA. Pre-interview hold today. Does anyone know what we should be doing? Does it help to get in some more letters of recommendation or maybe a letter of interest?

complete 8/20. 31 mcat. 3.7 cumulative gpa. Pre-interview hold today. Does anyone know what we should be doing? Does it help to get in some more letters of recommendation or maybe a letter of interest?

is / os?

Pre-interview hold yesterday as well. Canadian applicant (from what I heard, Maryland considers us OOS and not "international"), 3.97/33R.

Pre-interview hold yesterday as well. Canadian applicant (from what I heard, Maryland considers us OOS and not "international"), 3.97/33R.
same here but noy canadian. OOS Personally I think getting a hold letter this late in the interview season is not a good sign because they must have reviewed 90% of applicants by now, at least their primary.

They e-mailed out pre-interview holds at Maryland? Damn...didn't even know they did that. I know a bunch of other people who got them too, mostly OOS and average stats for matriculants.

Crown, I'd send them an update and hope that it makes a difference. If you got a new drivers license (bc that and voter registration are the two big indicators) then send them a new residency form. Just an idea.

Last edited:
same here but noy canadian. OOS Personally I think getting a hold letter this late in the interview season is not a good sign because they must have reviewed 90% of applicants by now, at least their primary.

Does that mean you think they send out some pre-interview holds to people whose applications they haven't reviewed?

Does that mean you think they send out some pre-interview holds to people whose applications they haven't reviewed?

No, if they haven't received your secondary, they'll wait for it before making any decisions. I just meant most schools send out pre-interview holds early in the year because there's still a lot of applicants they haven't reviewed and they want to save some spots for later applicants. However, in this case, the primary application deadline has already passed and therefore they've received all the applicants they're going to have. I'm sure there's still a few that haven't submitted their secondary (<10% probably much lower), and they'll still give out invites to those people, but I think our chances are small.

No, if they haven't received your secondary, they'll wait for it before making any decisions. I just meant most schools send out pre-interview holds early in the year because there's still a lot of applicants they haven't reviewed and they want to save some spots for later applicants. However, in this case, the primary application deadline has already passed and therefore they've received all the applicants they're going to have. I'm sure there's still a few that haven't submitted their secondary (<10% probably much lower), and they'll still give out invites to those people, but I think our chances are small.

i see, that makes sense, thanks. man, this getting into medical school thing is actually not that easy ...

This post interview hold is interesting- i just called them and apparently the committee meets and is unable to come to a decision. They then move you to hold and reevaluate you in May. Unfortunately, unlike wait listing, there's no waiting for a spot.

Sooooo, we've effectively been put in limbo with the other unbaptized premedical students. Plato's here too playing pingpong with perfect representations of Elvis and Nixon.

Correct me if I'm wrong- Seems like the trend in admissions is to wait until the end of the year rather than conduct rolling admissions. Some of the top schools are swinging that way with pseudo march waits like pitt, or just completely converting to nonrolling like upenn. Even here at U maryland they've effectively halted the rolling for some of us by creating this new status. Thought I'd know by Christmas...guess May's the new date to sweat over, both literally and metaphorically.... har har

This post interview hold is interesting- i just called them and apparently the committee meets and is unable to come to a decision. They then move you to hold and reevaluate you in May. Unfortunately, unlike wait listing, there's no waiting for a spot.

Sooooo, we've effectively been put in limbo with the other unbaptized premedical students. Plato's here too playing pingpong with perfect representations of Elvis and Nixon.

Correct me if I'm wrong- Seems like the trend in admissions is to wait until the end of the year rather than conduct rolling admissions. Some of the top schools are swinging that way with pseudo march waits like pitt, or just completely converting to nonrolling like upenn. Even here at U maryland they've effectively halted the rolling for some of us by creating this new status. Thought I'd know by Christmas...guess May's the new date to sweat over, both literally and metaphorically.... har har

In years past this has been practically a 99% predictor of being waitlisted ... not that it couldn't change this year ...

If you wrote in state on your application, whether or not you've been verified as such by the registrar for tuition purposes, the admissions committee considered your application as coming from a resident IS.

I sent in my app as IS, and was considered OOS because of my OOS voter registration by the registrar. The admissions committee did not care, they just said, if you want the in state tuition, get the confirmation by the day before classes start.

If you wrote in state on your application, whether or not you've been verified as such by the registrar for tuition purposes, the admissions committee considered your application as coming from a resident IS.

I sent in my app as IS, and was considered OOS because of my OOS voter registration by the registrar. The admissions committee did not care, they just said, if you want the in state tuition, get the confirmation by the day before classes start.

interesting, thanks.

I think they may be waiting to hear back from/conduct interviews with more stellar applicants and putting the students more representative of their average matriculant figures on hold because they can already tell they've got a ton of them on both pre- and post-interview holds. People with a 30-32 and a 3.7 GPA are probably a dime a dozen at this point so maybe they need the time to weed out the better ones. The applicant pool is getting better and better overall - people with average scores are getting better ECs.

Either way it sucks and makes me more nervous for my interview :scared:

Is it true that a schools ranking is partially determined by the percentage of matriculated/accepted? If so they could be putting so many people on hold in hopes that we will withdraw our application then when they do offer accepts in May, the people they do accept are then more likely to go there. If they werent they probably would have withdrew. I heard georgetown sorta does this by waitlisting over 700 then asking them to write LOI's if they are serious.

Has anyone been waitlisted from maryland, post interview?

I don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner, but I think the big reason for this pre-waitlist waitlist is because more people are probably holding onto their acceptances at this point. Most of which would be the applicants with higher stats and got the first pick of interviews - ie, when they accept almost everyone. They can't hand out more acceptances if they think their class is filled right now considering most of those people are holding their spot at a school that doesn't require a deposit. They really should.

I got in!!! (OOS, interviewed 11/12) :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.