2008-2009 University of Maryland Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don’t mean to sound harsh either, but when we look at simple math UMB accepts 210ish of its 350ish instate interviews. So if we evaluate those numbers we can see that we should expect to see more acceptances than post-interview holds. Is my reasoning skewed?

I also understand that SDN is small sample size. It may represent all applicants or it may not. From what i have observed, most posters on SDN are typically more qualified, and more educated applicants (Generalization). With that i would say that the sample is better than indicative. As for the "hold" being a topic of conversation and that is why there are so many reports of it, I do not see many people blowing up the acceptance thread with reports of gaining acceptance to Maryland. So i guess it is hard to say why there are so many reports of this "hold". I personally think that Maryland wants to see interview everyone before they make the majority of their acceptances. This could be wishful thinking... who knows. I am happy with where I am, I Hate that getting into med school is such a waiting game. I have been waiting for almost a year now.

The process is an enigma.

Go Ravens

Dr. Foxwell told us on 1/14 that they had accepted 110 people.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm.... in previous years they have accepted around 220 IS applicants and they typically interview 325ish. Is that 110 just instate or both instate and out of state residents?

Just wondering... was there a lot of in state people interviewing with you?

hmmm.... in previous years they have accepted around 220 IS applicants and they typically interview 325ish. Is that 110 just instate or both instate and out of state residents?

Just wondering... was there a lot of in state people interviewing with you?

I think they accept 300ish and interview 600ish. I think it was total, both in and out of state. There were about half instate and half out of state in my group.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they accept 300ish and interview 600ish. I think it was total, both in and out of state. There were about half instate and half out of state in my group.

hmmm... this hold letter is an enigma. I brought up the topic earlier in this tread and my hopes were smashed with a "hold letters will lead to a waitlist". However, the number of accepts you stated makes me think that holds may turn into accepts. 110 people is not a lot at all for mid january. I think they may be waiting for people to withdraw applications so they dont have to accept people that arent going to matriculate. who knows...

Wow, that's a surprisingly small number. I'm still holding out hope for this school. I'm also in the post-interview "on hold" pile (OOS). I sent a strong letter of interest and my transcript. It's just a waiting game now.

Ooh, hopeful news - I love them :)

Has anyone with the "post-interview hold letter" heard back with a final decision?? Slim chance I know, but just wondering...

Don't forget that decisions usually come 4-6 weeks after the interview... So considering 4-6 weeks before 1/14 is early- or mid-December and they've been interviewing since late September, that means they've accepted about 110 people from the first 2.5 months of interviewing.

Don't forget that decisions usually come 4-6 weeks after the interview... So considering 4-6 weeks before 1/14 is early- or mid-December and they've been interviewing since late September, that means they've accepted about 110 people from the first 2.5 months of interviewing.

Actually it is about 2 weeks. I think paisleyjane and myself both were in that time frame. They seem to be speedy

Actually it is about 2 weeks. I think paisleyjane and myself both were in that time frame. They seem to be speedy

Not necessarily... I got the post-interview hold letter about 3-4 weeks after my interview, which was in late-Oct.

Maryland is so on top of things that they sent me my rejection letter twice. At least there's no doubt.

i also interviewed on 1/14 and i could've sworn i heard him say either 150 or 190....at least those were the numbers that i used to estimate my chances. but there is still a big difference between 150/190...obviously i wasn't paying that close of attention ><

i also interviewed on 1/14 and i could've sworn i heard him say either 150 or 190....at least those were the numbers that i used to estimate my chances. but there is still a big difference between 150/190...obviously i wasn't paying that close of attention ><

I remember thinking ... oh well that's way less than the spots that have to be filled. I could be wrong though.

Pre-Interview Hold: December 17th
Interview Invite: February 9!!
Interview: March 18th!!

I am ecstatic. I had given up!

:laugh::love::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember thinking ... oh well that's way less than the spots that have to be filled. I could be wrong though.

I also interviewed 1/14, and I remember hearing 190.

... I'm sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I'm really hoping that I'll get in too, so I'm hoping I misheard.

But I'm pretty sure I didn't.

I also interviewed 1/14, and I remember hearing 190.

... I'm sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I'm really hoping that I'll get in too, so I'm hoping I misheard.

But I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Well crap. Oh well. I am sad that after my second interview the guy ended it by saying "if we're lucky enough to have you" and then I was put on hold. That is cruel.

I got a hold too. I don't know why they bother saying "please be assured you are still under active consideration". Better luck saying, "you've got a snowball's chance in you-know-where unless you cure cancer, but you're not bad enough to outright reject either. One or two people on the committee liked you."

:( I'm sad.

I got a hold too. I don't know why they bother saying "please be assured you are still under active consideration". Better luck saying, "you've got a snowball's chance in you-know-where unless you cure cancer, but you're not bad enough to outright reject either. One or two people on the committee liked you."

:( I'm sad.

Dont give up hope. It really does seem common that people are getting this letter. especially if you are IS and have less than a 33 on the MCAT. There are probably 15 IS people on SDN that have gotten this letter, and that is out of a very small sample size. My hope is that they are going to hold all good but not quite great applicants until the end that why they can see everyone first.

I have been told by others on here that this is dead wrong... However, as they are entitled to their opinion, I am to mine.

Good luck

how does maryland let you know whether or not you've been accepted? email? snail mail?

how does maryland let you know whether or not you've been accepted? email? snail mail?

Snail mail. Some acceptees have reported getting a phone call from Dr. Foxwell but that's definitely not the norm.

Also, don't try to call the admissions office. They won't give out admissions decisions over the phone.

After 4 weeks of waiting, I finally called the admissions office. They told me the letter had been sent that day (yesterday), and it was the dreaded post-interview hold. So disappointing... I'm holding out hope though.

Anyone else get an interview invite off of pre-interview hold today?

Congrats! when are you interviewing and are you instate?

Thank you. March 9. I think Im IS, but not 100% sure ... Im guessing they are just filling spots of people who are declining now?

Thank you. March 9. I think Im IS, but not 100% sure ... Im guessing they are just filling spots of people who are declining now?

Im jealous, I received an invite 2 months ago and my interview date is after yours.

Im jealous, I received an invite 2 months ago and my interview date is after yours.

Wow, thats a long wait. Dont be too jealous - i think it may mean they want you more :D. Go Maryland, beat Duke.

so i just got an interview invite today! pretty random, im sure its because somebody canceled their interview and i was next on the list. sweetttt though :)

Just got the post-interview hold. :( Disappointing, but being OOS I guess it's not too surprising. I just loved this school, though! Maybe it's foolish to pay OOS when I already got into my state school.... bummer, though.

Just got the post-interview hold. :( Disappointing, but being OOS I guess it's not too surprising. I just loved this school, though! Maybe it's foolish to pay OOS when I already got into my state school.... bummer, though.

how did you find out about this hold? i interviewed the same day you did! i'm OOS as well...

how did you find out about this hold? i interviewed the same day you did! i'm OOS as well...

I got a letter through regular mail. I think it came on Saturday. What state are you from? Good luck!

so i just got an interview invite today! pretty random, im sure its because somebody canceled their interview and i was next on the list. sweetttt though :)

Congrats. Whens your date, may i ask?

it was for march 4th but i changed it to the 23rd which i think is the last day for interviews

does anybody know how much of a chance us later interviewees have in getting an acceptance? im interviewing on the very last day that theyre offering interviews.. is there any reason to have any hope? i am IS by the way

Accepted! :D

I interviewed during the last week of January. I called them four weeks after my interview since I hadn't received anything yet and they told me over the phone that they send out my acceptance letter earlier that week. I am out of state (Canadian), so the letter still hasn't gotten to me. I can't wait, University of Maryland is awesome :) I don't know if it made any difference but I sent a strong letter of intent

So, bad news kids: inside scoop from my boss (who is an adcom member) says the post-interview hold is a waitlist. They'll factor in your GPA and MCAT to prioritize it, and that's about all I got from him.

:(

I was supposed to interview there this week and my interview was rescheduled at the end of March because of the snow. Do you think this will severely hurt my chances of getting in? I am OOS.

So, bad news kids: inside scoop from my boss (who is an adcom member) says the post-interview hold is a waitlist. They'll factor in your GPA and MCAT to prioritize it, and that's about all I got from him.

yeah... i think a similar note has been posted before because the maryland FAQ site online pretty much stated the same. something along the lines of how it's unlikely that any of our files (although they say it's still in "active consideration) will be re-reviewed before the class has been filled. and that for this reason we'll probably end up on the waitlist... and waitlist movt for maryland is quite small, so... :thumbdown:

I have not heard anything from Maryland and I was done with my secondary back in October. Do you know whether Maryland silently reject applicant ?

My friend just got accepted into Maryland today via phone call from Dr. Foxwell. She interviewed on the 16th of February. Anyone hear anything else post interview?

Last edited:

I know for a fact that this isn't the case. There are one or two people admitted off of post-interview hold before the waitlist is populated.

Does Maryland have a second look weekend? I haven't gotten an email about it.

Has anyone heard anything post-interview today? Adcom meets on Monday and Dr. Foxwell told my group (interviewed 02/18) that March 16th was the day...

Has anyone heard anything post-interview today? Adcom meets on Monday and Dr. Foxwell told my group (interviewed 02/18) that March 16th was the day...

They usually send out letters, so it might take a while to get to you. I called them a few days after my 'decision day' and asked them if there was any updates to my file, then they told me over the phone that I was accepted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.