2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
easily overlooked, it's alright

bottom line, we all are going to be docs someday. we just may not all be so lucky to graduate from that one dream school.

so of all those schools you interviewed at, where do you really want to go shemarty? would you pick Vandy over Mich or UCSD?

Apparently, I'm way too easily recognizable :laugh:, so I probably shouldn't say anything publicly about my preferences.

PM if you (or anybody else) wants to chat on AIM, though. We can all share the anxiety together...:luck:
 
haha, my wife is trying to distract me
naughty.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey LET, call back dean Zic and tell him berken is waiting for his phone call. 😳

Hahaha I'll work on that. I actually emailed him today to thank him for his phone call and told him he should thank God I didn't answer the phone cause otherwise he would have heard my insane screaming and crying fit. He didn't answer. I think the email was the written version of an insane screaming and crying fit.
 
Hahaha I'll work on that. I actually emailed him today to thank him for his phone call and told him he should thank God I didn't answer the phone cause otherwise he would have heard my insane screaming and crying fit. He didn't answer. I think the email was the written version of an insane screaming and crying fit.
haha I'm sure he saw it, chuckled, and then continued reading the rest of his emails. He didn't think you're insane!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 9/23 and still no news...I remember from the interview hearing that we would receive letters but now I've been hearing people are getting calls. So does a letter mean a waitlist or rejection?
 
thanks good to know. Congrats to everyone who has gotten in...keeping me fingers crossed for everyone else!
 
gluck berk, lauren, and army! I hope you guys get your calls soon! :luck:

Thanks Dulcina!!!

Not hearing anyone else getting calls is actually quite relieving to me. I am however making my roommate, still back at home, check the mail since I won't be back until Tuesday. She has to immediately call me if ANYTHING comes for me.

When we all get accepted in the mail there will be much celebration and wondering why we weren't special enough to get a phone call. (I know I'm being optimistic, but it's currently keeping me sane, since last night my teammates decided to just put me to sleep.)
 
Thanks Dulcina!!!

Not hearing anyone else getting calls is actually quite relieving to me. I am however making my roommate, still back at home, check the mail since I won't be back until Tuesday. She has to immediately call me if ANYTHING comes for me.

When we all get accepted in the mail there will be much celebration and wondering why we weren't special enough to get a phone call. (I know I'm being optimistic, but it's currently keeping me sane, since last night my teammates decided to just put me to sleep.)

lol how did your teammates manage to put you to sleep?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that I have interviewed at my state school I am seriously considering sending a letter of intent to vanderbilt. What do you all think of this? I just really couldn't see myself being happier anywhere else, and I can justify the cost difference from my state school because of all of Vandy's awesomenesssssss.
 
it's pretty strange that only those 3 SDNers have heard from Vandy so far. I know not most applicants are on SDN, but you'd think more would have heard by now.
Hrm...well...how many offers do you think went out? 30, 50, 100? Considering their interview season stretches until February, AND considering their new "hold" system, I think it's probably to the low end of that. So SDNers are doing pretty good. I think there's still plenty of room for you in the class.
 
Hrm...well...how many offers do you think went out? 30, 50, 100? Considering their interview season stretches until February, AND considering their new "hold" system, I think it's probably to the low end of that. So SDNers are doing pretty good. I think there's still plenty of room for you in the class.

This is probably a stupid question, but what is their new "hold" system?
 
This is probably a stupid question, but what is their new "hold" system?
they used to only decide your fate right after you interviewed, and if you were waitlisted, you weren't considered again until around March/April. now they decide if you'll get accepted right after the interview, but then reconsider you every month afterwards. so you'll have potentially 6 chances at admission instead of 1.
 
Now that I have interviewed at my state school I am seriously considering sending a letter of intent to vanderbilt. What do you all think of this? I just really couldn't see myself being happier anywhere else, and I can justify the cost difference from my state school because of all of Vandy's awesomenesssssss.
I say go for it. I may send one as well.
 
they used to only decide your fate right after you interviewed, and if you were waitlisted, you weren't considered again until around March/April. now they decide if you'll get accepted right after the interview, but then reconsider you every month afterwards. so you'll have potentially 6 chances at admission instead of 1.

I believe the flip side of that is that say you interview on Nov. 5th for example. Last year you would have been told relatively soon after, as soon as the adcom had looked at that day's applicants. Now you'll be compared to the whole pool of waitlisters as well so you might have to wait longer. At least that's what I think happens.
 
I believe the flip side of that is that say you interview on Nov. 5th for example. Last year you would have been told relatively soon after, as soon as the adcom had looked at that day's applicants. Now you'll be compared to the whole pool of waitlisters as well so you might have to wait longer. At least that's what I think happens.

they used to only decide your fate right after you interviewed, and if you were waitlisted, you weren't considered again until around March/April. now they decide if you'll get accepted right after the interview, but then reconsider you every month afterwards. so you'll have potentially 6 chances at admission instead of 1.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.
 
I believe the flip side of that is that say you interview on Nov. 5th for example. Last year you would have been told relatively soon after, as soon as the adcom had looked at that day's applicants. Now you'll be compared to the whole pool of waitlisters as well so you might have to wait longer. At least that's what I think happens.
they used to make decisions once a week, now they make them once a month. so yes, you may wait a few weeks longer to hear the initial verdict.
 
they used to make decisions once a week, now they make them once a month. so yes, you may wait a few weeks longer to hear the initial verdict.

army, when I interviewed at Vandy 2 wks ago, I asked the director of admissions how often the adcom meets and she told me once a week. Now I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but if you guys are both right that means they meet weekly but only make decisions once a month?
 
army, when I interviewed at Vandy 2 wks ago, I asked the director of admissions how often the adcom meets and she told me once a week. Now I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but if you guys are both right that means they meet weekly but only make decisions once a month?
They do meet weekly, you're right. But it seems like they're only giving out offers once a month, or reconsidering people once per month.

I only briefly spoke with an adcom member who told me this, I'm not really sure of all of the details of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.