2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question about the VCU LOR requirement:

I read where it is 2 sci, and one from someone who can speak about your volunteer work in a health care environment - is this correct?

More importantly, did anyone get in with just the more standard "2 sci, one non-sci" letters? Or did everyone comply and dig up this non-standard letter at the last minute (which is what I would have to do, and I really don't have anybody who could write a decent letter for this purpose, but I have incredible prof letters)...

Jeez, I really hate the non-standard letter requests...

Members don't see this ad.

I read where it is 2 sci, and one from someone who can speak about your volunteer work in a health care environment - is this correct?

More importantly, did anyone get in with just the more standard "2 sci, one non-sci" letters? Or did everyone comply and dig up this non-standard letter at the last minute (which is what I would have to do, and I really don't have anybody who could write a decent letter for this purpose, but I have incredible prof letters)...

I did not have letters from anyone who knew about my volunteer work...I was interviewed (and subsequently waitlisted)

Why do you "have to" send in a non-standard/volunteer letter? Did someone in admissions advise you to send one? I sent 2 sci and one non-sci, and I'm also on the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be withdrawing soon... VCU is only giving 4K scholarship and 42.7K in loans:( Good luck to everyone one the waitlist.

When did you receive your financial aid letter? I still haven't heard anything from VCU's financial aid office regarding loans and scholarships. I recently checked my status online and found out that I needed to send proof of citizenship, which I subsuquently did but it doesn't look like it's been processed yet. Thanks.

When did you receive your financial aid letter? I still haven't heard anything from VCU's financial aid office regarding loans and scholarships. I recently checked my status online and found out that I needed to send proof of citizenship, which I subsuquently did but it doesn't look like it's been processed yet. Thanks.

I called the fao office for an estimate.

So, did anyone get the spot yet? :luck::xf:

So, did anyone get the spot yet? :luck::xf:

haha i will love you forever and ever and ever if that spot is miraculously given to me. (Not sure how that is a good thing for you but ya).

:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

Has anyone called/emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook about where they stand on the waitlist? I'd really like to know this information but I also remembering hearing someone say not to bother them until after May 15th...

You can try but from years past, it's not going to help unless you are at the very top.

I was in the top 5 of the instate list and basically had to pull teeth to find out where I stood before may 15th. I got in the first day there was WL movement and they still were relucatant to tell me before may 15th.

I just received an email titled "Virginia Commonwealth University Virtual Second Look Program" from an assistant to the Director of Admissions. Does anyone know what this is telling me? I'm currently on the waitlist and I'm an in-state applicant. Thanks guys -

I just received an email titled "Virginia Commonwealth University Virtual Second Look Program" from an assistant to the Director of Admissions. Does anyone know what this is telling me? I'm currently on the waitlist and I'm an in-state applicant. Thanks guys -
Hey I got the same message at about 5am....driving me crazy because any time I get an email from them I freak out that its a status change. I am an OOS waitlister...
I know some people have already recieved this email, I am not sure it is any indicator as to where we stand on the wait list......thoughts anyone?

I also remember reading in past years threads that the top portion of the waitlisters were invited to the actual second look program at VCU, as opposed to the virtual look...which I am assuming is given out much more liberally..however this is just a guess..

I too received the Virtual Second Look Email early this morning. As far as I can remember, they aren't doing a second look any other way this year....so hopefully this is a good sign for us waitlisters!:xf:

I emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, and pretty much got the response that it's hard to tell if they will get to my rank on the waitlist, but they didn't last year. Hope has now died, better luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
is today the last day to file FAFSA? What happens if i don't file it today? does that mean i wont get any financial aid? does anyone know if it will affect my chances of getting an acceptance of the waitlist?

Im not really familiar with this b/c my parents filed it once at the beginning of my freshman year in college and all i was eligible was for loans. So my parents did not file the subsequent years since they were paying for my college tuition. So im not sure if i should file fafsa and what are the consequences of not filling it out. Someone plz give me more insight!!!!! :scared:

is today the last day to file FAFSA? What happens if i don't file it today? does that mean i wont get any financial aid? does anyone know if it will affect my chances of getting an acceptance of the waitlist?

Im not really familiar with this b/c my parents filed it once at the beginning of my freshman year in college and all i was eligible was for loans. So my parents did not file the subsequent years since they were paying for my college tuition. So im not sure if i should file fafsa and what are the consequences of not filling it out. Someone plz give me more insight!!!!! :scared:

Unfortunately, don't know the answer to that one... but follow up question - I already filed FAFSA and long before got an email with FAFSA results and an update saying how these will be available to the schools I listed (all the waitlisted ones)... I haven't done any of the NeedAccess stuff or whatever though, for any of hte schools. I've been bogged down with final exams and stuff :( It's not too late if I get that financial stuff done in the next 2 weeks or so for all the schools I've been waitlisted at, right?

And also, I know this has been brought up already, but just to echo everyone else, if we got the virtual second look invite today via email, does that suggest anything about us being in the top portion of the WL??? I am also in-state...

Unfortunately, don't know the answer to that one... but follow up question - I already filed FAFSA and long before got an email with FAFSA results and an update saying how these will be available to the schools I listed (all the waitlisted ones)... I haven't done any of the NeedAccess stuff or whatever though, for any of hte schools. I've been bogged down with final exams and stuff :( It's not too late if I get that financial stuff done in the next 2 weeks or so for all the schools I've been waitlisted at, right?

And also, I know this has been brought up already, but just to echo everyone else, if we got the virtual second look invite today via email, does that suggest anything about us being in the top portion of the WL??? I am also in-state...

Everyone on the waitlist should fill out the FAFSA since it's free and not that difficult. I wouldn't worry about the NeedsAccess until you're accepted. I didn't get accepted until 3 weeks before classes started and all I had to do was fill out NeedsAccess and the Grad PLUS loan paperwork and then I was able to get my financial aid right away.:luck:

i didn't get an email about a VCU second look :(

I am on the OOS wait list and didn't get the Second Look email. However, I emailed Dr. W-C last week, and she did reply with the link to Second Look. Who know what that means?

Hey everyone,

1. the matriculant discussion forum link is broken! Has anyone been able to access it?

2. When do we have to turn in all the immunization forms to them? (they said if you don't they'll hold our registration, but when IS registration in the first place?)

Thanks a bunch in advance, my furture classmates!! :p

After reading all that is happening so far, i'm really nervous :(
I didn't get a second look e-mail either...sigh. I'm sure like all of you, I REALLY WANT TO GET IN. I really failed at enjoying my undergraduate experience, and I really want to be able to learn from my mistakes and make it up in med school. That would be so amazing, being able to pursue my dream of becoming and doctor and connecting with all these wonderful people. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting....

Hey everyone,

1. the matriculant discussion forum link is broken! Has anyone been able to access it?

2. When do we have to turn in all the immunization forms to them? (they said if you don't they'll hold our registration, but when IS registration in the first place?)

Thanks a bunch in advance, my furture classmates!! :p

I would just get them in before orientation. I know there were a few people getting their varicella titers during orientation week, so it's not really a set in stone date. They're just trying to get them all done before the first day of classes, I think.

I'm an IS waitlister who didn't get the second look link.
Does anyone think the question asked to waitlisted applicants about being admitted to any other schools might have influenced the second look emails or is it based solely on waitlist placement?

just to clarify for everyone i am oos and on the waitlist.

friday morning, i also got the second look email, and i called the contact information inquiring further as to why i received the email.

I asked whether there had been a mistake in me receiving the email, since I am not accepted to vcu; but rather, on the waitlist. the person on the phone informed me that vcu had sent out second look emails to those among the top of the waitlist... without explicitly saying it, she implied that those that got the email have a really good chance of getting in off the waitlist.

I did not get the 2nd look invitation but I just got in off the waitlist last week! I am in state.

I did not get the 2nd look invitation but I just got in off the waitlist last week! I am in state.

For the people who got the second look, did you check off that you did get into somewhere else or you did NOT?

For the people who got the second look, did you check off that you did get into somewhere else or you did NOT?

i really dont think it matters, they have a ranked wait list and are just going to go down it as spots open up...the whole "have u or have u not been accepted else where" probably only applies if a spot opens up 72hrs prior to orientation....just my $0.02

the person on the phone informed me that vcu had sent out second look emails to those among the top of the waitlist... without explicitly saying it, she implied that those that got the email have a really good chance of getting in off the waitlist.

got the same response on the phone today :) :xf:

just to clarify for everyone i am oos and on the waitlist.

friday morning, i also got the second look email, and i called the contact information inquiring further as to why i received the email.

I asked whether there had been a mistake in me receiving the email, since I am not accepted to vcu; but rather, on the waitlist. the person on the phone informed me that vcu had sent out second look emails to those among the top of the waitlist... without explicitly saying it, she implied that those that got the email have a really good chance of getting in off the waitlist.

=(

I didn't get that email... man this sucks.

:scared:

IS Female on WL. Received the 2nd look email last Thursday- called and got the same response as above. G-Luck everyone!

No problem at all!

I'm out of state (from Washington State), and did indeed get the second look email. I think what helped getting taken off the list so quickly was that I sent in two update letters, as well as two additional update "letters of recommendation."

Good luck to everyone else still waiting for good news!

I just got in off the waitlist too! I'm in-state, and I got the second look email on Thursday. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I just got in off the waitlist too! I'm in-state, and I got the second look email on Thursday. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Awesome, awesome handle. Welcome to SDN, Diabeetus.

ahhh i got my second look invite last thursday too... maybe i'll also hear something?! i can only hope...

i got the second look email last week too and was accepted today, oos.

strange part is, i've tried to withdraw 5 times in the past couple of days, but it wouldn't go through. so anyway, another spot will be open for someone else!

Hahaha you're such a wonderful applicant that they don't wanna let go of you :p

Maybe I should look forward to tomorrow then...

Hahaha you're such a wonderful applicant that they don't wanna let go of you :p

Maybe I should look forward to tomorrow then...

haha that must be it...and not that my computer has issues staying connected to the internet :)

Just got accepted today off the waitlist, so there's some hope!

Congrats guys! This seems like a lot of waitlist movement pre-May 15th, way more than we had when I was applying.

Congrats to all of you who got the good news yesterday! Ahh I hope today is my day!

Congrats to all of you who got the good news yesterday! Ahh I hope today is my day!

Amen!!!

Congrats to everyone who got off and best of luck to all of us still waiting! :luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

has anyone got in off the waitlist(s) that did NOT receive a 2nd look email?

Has anyone had any luck emailing Dr. Whitehurst-Cook directly?

has anyone got in off the waitlist(s) that did NOT receive a 2nd look email?

I would like to know this too. Would be great news since I didn't receive a second look e-mail either.

i never got one either!

wait...did you get off the waitlist and NOT receive a 2nd look email? your md apps says you were accepted off the waitlist at vcu so i'm confused....:rolleyes:

wait...did you get off the waitlist and NOT receive a 2nd look email? your md apps says you were accepted off the waitlist at vcu so i'm confused....:rolleyes:

yes. i got in from the waitlist but did not receive a 2nd look email. was i supposed to?

Note: many people were accepted before the e-mails went out. I think that every one that was accepted in the last week or so had received the e-mail. Good luck to everyone this cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.