2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
For those of you who know where on the waitlist you ended up...did you have to call to figure this out? Or was it mentioned on your letter? Mine
simply stated I had made the waiting list, and I know the OOS list has very
good chances of making it in there.

Thanks
 
I have heard a few things about the preview weekend. Do you need an invitation to attend and if so, have invitations already been mailed?

also, are there multiple preview weekends?

Thank you in advance for your help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed about 6 weeks ago, and still no decision. I thought they said it would take 2-3 weeks at the interview. Anybody else wait this long?
 
yeah i interviewed the 27th of january and I've called every week since two weeks. After calling them this past tuesday they said they would have a decision by the end of this week or early next week. I have a feeling that the class is full and they're just adding to the waitlist now.
 
has anyone been taken off the waiting list already?
They tell you in the waitlist letter that movement on the list doesn't start until March 15, but I've heard (from the school) that the most significant movement doesn't really get underway until May / June - kind of a bummer for anyone who is unsure if they will need to reapply...

to everyone else - what should someone expect during an interview with Dr. Solhaug? I plan to speak about my application as well as my interest in the school, but I am unsure if there is anything else I should anticipate...

Thank you
 
They tell you in the waitlist letter that movement on the list doesn't start until March 15, but I've heard (from the school) that the most significant movement doesn't really get underway until May / June - kind of a bummer for anyone who is unsure if they will need to reapply...

to everyone else - what should someone expect during an interview with Dr. Solhaug? I plan to speak about my application as well as my interest in the school, but I am unsure if there is anything else I should anticipate...

Thank you

Did you specifically request to speak with him about your application?
 
I just want to clear up a few rumors and misunderstandings. When you are interviewing at EVMS, you are NOT interviewing for a waitlist spot. That is an incorrect statement. I have verified this with the admissions office. There are spots still available but as with all rolling admissions, it gets progressively more selective as the year goes on.

I am one of the coordinators for Preview Weekend this year and we are going to be sending out letters to those invited to attend soon. We are shooting for the middle/end of April but the date has not been solidified yet.

PM me if you want any questions answered or anything clarified. If you are unsure about anything, I'd rather you ask me than spread rumors ;-)

Good luck with the rest of the interview season. Hope to see all of you at EVMS!
 
This is not being said to bum out any instaters on the upper third of the waitlist (because thats me too), simply to inform.

Last year I applied and was waitlisted upper third..and here I am an applicant for 2010. Lets hope things turn out better this year!!! :xf:
 
This is not being said to bum out any instaters on the upper third of the waitlist (because thats me too), simply to inform.

Last year I applied and was waitlisted upper third..and here I am an applicant for 2010. Lets hope things turn out better this year!!! :xf:

Good Luck to you! :luck:

If it gives you any hope, I was waitlisted IS, middle 1/3 last year and was accepted this year. Don't give up hope! :xf:
 
Good Luck to you! :luck:

If it gives you any hope, I was waitlisted IS, middle 1/3 last year and was accepted this year. Don't give up hope! :xf:

Did you ever send in a letter of interest/intent? I am OOS and am in the top third of the waitlist and I'm not sure if I should send a letter now or wait a little longer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody who interviewed on the 17th or 19th of February heard back yet?

Nope. I think they said something about calling to find out after two or so weeks, but I'd rather wait for the mail and not have to face potential bad news over the phone. Haha. Good luck to you though.
 
Has anybody who interviewed on the 17th or 19th of February heard back yet?

I actually just called them (interview 2/19) and the results are finally in. Top third of the waitlist for me.

Does anyone know how likely I am to get an acceptance?? I am OOS and am waitlisted somewhere else so I'm definitely getting nervous 😕
 
I actually just called them (interview 2/19) and the results are finally in. Top third of the waitlist for me.

Does anyone know how likely I am to get an acceptance?? I am OOS and am waitlisted somewhere else so I'm definitely getting nervous 😕

have heard that top 1/3 is good for out-of-staters. had you tried them earlier...just trying to figure out when they released the decisions and when i could expect the decision to arrive in the mail? what number did you call?
 
Did you ever send in a letter of interest/intent? I am OOS and am in the top third of the waitlist and I'm not sure if I should send a letter now or wait a little longer.

EVMS definitely likes letters of interest, especially if you have done something to add to your application since your interview. I sent one the week before my interview back in October and received positive feedback on it during my interview. I would definitely give it a try.
 
have heard that top 1/3 is good for out-of-staters. had you tried them earlier...just trying to figure out when they released the decisions and when i could expect the decision to arrive in the mail? what number did you call?

I have heard that too, so I guess I'll try to stay positive. I called earlier in the week and they said that a decision was not available. When I called on Friday they told me the decision, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet so I'm guessing it couldn't have been made earlier than Thursday. I just called the number for their admissions office (on their website).

Best of luck to you, and maybe I'll see you around this fall 😀
 
Just to let you guys know, I just withdrew from the WL. I was middle third on the OOS so I hope that if my "position" were to get in, one of you would get it! 🙂
:luck:
 
I interviewed on 2/12 and got my waitlist letter in the mail yesterday... so I'm guessing you'll here something soon :xf::xf::luck:

they don't specify what part of the wait list you're on in the letter, do they? did you end up calling after you got the letter to find that out?
 
they don't specify what part of the wait list you're on in the letter, do they? did you end up calling after you got the letter to find that out?


THey do not specify in the letter... I would give you the exact wording but i'm at work and left letter at home. I have not yet called up to see what my place on the list is yet but I think that's the only way to find out
 
Just called today and found out I was wait-listed in top 1/3. I looked at a statistic online and saw that a total of 305 people were granted acceptance after everything was said and done (I guess EVMS interviews a lot of high-demand applicants that choose other schools) in I think 2007 or something and of course only 115 matriculated. So Im assuming that there is HUGE movement on the waitlist. As of today there are 350 people on the waitlist courtesy of the admissions secretary, so top third is about the size of the matriculating class ~115. Im sure not everyone will pass up on acceptance, but I wouldnt be surprised if a significant portion or even a majority of the 2010 class came from the waiting list. Also my premed advisor informed me that many ppl from Vtech got in after being waitlisted. So stay optimistic people, I know I am! Commme oooonnnn May 15th!!
3.99/28 (In state)
 
Last edited:
Just called today and found out I was wait-listed in top 1/3. I looked at a statistic online and saw that 305 people were granted acceptance (I guess EVMS interviews a lot of high-demand applicants that choose other schools) in I think 2007 or something and of course only 115 matriculated. So Im assuming that there is HUGE movement on the waitlist. As of today there are 350 people on the waitlist courtesy of the admissions secretary, so top third is about the size of the matriculating class ~115. Im sure not everyone will pass up on acceptance, but I wouldnt be surprised if a significant portion or even a majority of the 2010 class came from the waiting list. Also my premed advisor informed me that many ppl from Vtech got in after being waitlisted. So stay optimistic people, I know I am! Commme oooonnnn May 15th!!

A fellow Hokie on the EVMS waitlist too? Nice. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, just interviewed. want to ask if I should send thank-you notes? Problem is, I forgot their names. Should I ask the admissions office the names and how to send the notes?
Are the thank-you notes very important to send?

EVMS is just wonderful. Sentara Hospital is amazing. Volunteer guide said it's ranked ~25th in the nation, and it's easy to see why. Very extensively developed hospital with transplants for all organs except liver, and has floors of treatments for heart conditions. I found out Norfolk harbors the central Atlantic fleet and EVMS is affiliated with 7 hospitals, including naval and children's hospitals. Students are warm and personable. Can see going there would be availed with wide variety of clinical opportunity experience.
 
Last edited:
Hi, just interviewed today. want to ask if I should send thank-you notes? Problem is, I forgot their names. Should I ask the admissions office the names and how to send the notes?
Are the thank-you notes very important to send?

EVMS is just wonderful. Sentara Hospital is amazing. Volunteer guide said it's ranked ~25th in the nation, and it's easy to see why. Very extensively developed hospital with transplants for all organs except liver, and has floors of treatments for heart conditions. I found out Norfolk harbors the central Atlantic fleet and EVMS is affiliated with 7 hospitals, including naval and children's hospitals. Students are warm and personable. Can see going there would be availed with wide variety of clinical opportunity experience.

EVMS was the only school that I sent thank you cards to, and they were the only school that I wasn't accepted to (waitlisted). Take that as you may.
 
EVMS was the only school that I sent thank you cards to, and they were the only school that I wasn't accepted to (waitlisted). Take that as you may.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Did you email your interviewers directly or did you email the admissions office who will pass the notes on to the interviewers?
 
Hey, thanks for your reply. Did you email your interviewers directly or did you email the admissions office who will pass the notes on to the interviewers?

I emailed them directly. The best advice that I ever got about thank you notes was that if you are someone who would normally send thank you notes for things, then send one. If not, don't send one. Thank you notes are absolutely not necessary, and I don't think that they have any effect on the school's decision. I got into plenty of schools without one.
 
Hello, Congrats to all those wait listed and accepted.

I am an OOS male on the top third of the waitlist. I noticed that some people on the wait list were invited for the preview weekend. Is it a bad sign to not get this invitation?
 
Hello, Congrats to all those wait listed and accepted.

I am an OOS male on the top third of the waitlist. I noticed that some people on the wait list were invited for the preview weekend. Is it a bad sign to not get this invitation?


I'm middle third OOS URM male... Any hope???? 😕
 
I'm middle third OOS URM male... Any hope???? 😕

People from the above posts said there are a lot of people taken off from the waitlist, but EVMS would not touch the middle 3rd until they've accepted all the upper 3rd. So realistically, I would think your chances at acceptance isn't great.
 
People from the above posts said there are a lot of people taken off from the waitlist, but EVMS would not touch the middle 3rd until they've accepted all the upper 3rd. So realistically, I would think your chances at acceptance isn't great.

See, that's not how I understood the WL to work at EVMS. As far as I had understood from my contact in the Admissions Office is that they take people on the waitlist that match the demographics of the accepted students that leave. Meaning --> an IS female leaves, then they take an IS female off the WL.

My question, which is completely unreasonable because of the simple fact that none of here can do more than speculate, was basically how many OOS male URM accepted students drop out of the accepted pool so that I can slide in? (In other words... this is my little bitch session... Pay me no mind haha :meanie:)
 
So I got my acceptance packet in the mail today... about a week after getting the waitlist letter. I never called to see where on the waitlist I was placed, but I'm assuming it was top 1/3.

I'm OOS and I interviewed in mid Feb. I'm going to call tomorrow and decline the acceptance though. I've already gotten in to my number 1 school (in-state and MUCH cheaper).

Good luck everyone!

PS... I'm also a 25 yr old female, in case there is any truth to the theories on how they decide to pull people from the waitlist

PPS... I also received an email invitation to the preview weekend last week, which I thought was weird since I had only been waitlisted
 
So I got my acceptance packet in the mail today... about a week after getting the waitlist letter. I never called to see where on the waitlist I was placed, but I'm assuming it was top 1/3.

I'm OOS and I interviewed in mid Feb. I'm going to call tomorrow and decline the acceptance though. I've already gotten in to my number 1 school (in-state and MUCH cheaper).

Good luck everyone!

PS... I'm also a 25 yr old female, in case there is any truth to the theories on how they decide to pull people from the waitlist

PPS... I also received an email invitation to the preview weekend last week, which I thought was weird since I had only been waitlisted


i am from nc and withdrew my acceptance last week. maybe that was my spot haha
 
i am from nc and withdrew my acceptance last week. maybe that was my spot haha

lol well thanks, but no thanks... was a great school but I can't turn down Brody tuition. Hopefully some other NC female will get the spot who really wants it.

Where did you get in, if you don't mind me asking?
 
Has anyone who is IS and currently waitlisted in the upper 1/3 received an invite to the preview weekend? Are there any known general guidelines used to determine who receives an invite?

Thank you for your replies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who is IS and currently waitlisted in the upper 1/3 received an invite to the preview weekend? Are there any known general guidelines used to determine who receives an invite?

Thank you for your replies.

I'm in state, top 1/3 and no invite. Last year my invite came really late. But I guess you can see how much good it did. But I'm ready to give a go again this year!! Come on EVMS!!
 
I'm in state, top 1/3 and no invite. Last year my invite came really late. But I guess you can see how much good it did. But I'm ready to give a go again this year!! Come on EVMS!!

in-state, top 1/3, no invite to preview weekend.

i joined the wait-list around mid-january.
 
OOS, joined the waitlist in october in top 1/3...is it possible to be bumped down the to the middle 1/3?
 
Just called EVMS...still top 1/3. I asked about waitlist movement and they said they aren't even finished interviewing yet so the WL isn't moving yet. They expect there will be a little movement starting up at the end of the month and the bulk of their movement will be after May 15th(as expected).
 
Just called EVMS...still top 1/3. I asked about waitlist movement and they said they aren't even finished interviewing yet so the WL isn't moving yet. They expect there will be a little movement starting up at the end of the month and the bulk of their movement will be after May 15th(as expected).
Thanks🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.