2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the admissions office today and they informed me that their tier system is used to rank applicants' interviews. Therefore, if you did well in your interview you are placed in the top third. I did not know this, so I figured I would share the information. In terms of filling spots from the wait list: they take people with similar demographics to what they lost - regardless of the tier that the applicant is a member of; however, the higher tier waitlisted individual who satisfies the demographic lost is going to get accepted over the lower tier. I’m sure you guys already knew some of this information, but I figured I would share anyway. Good luck!
 
The admissions office lady told me that people are ranked in the wait list according to their interview score. And that when accepted applicants decline their offer, the admissions office chooses someone from the wait list with similar demographics and interview score, i.e. if they lose someone with a low interview score, they will accept someone from the bottom third of the wait list of similar stats, residency status, same gender, etc. Therefore, I understood the wait list as not really being "ranked", but instead as 3 separate wait lists. 👎
 
The admissions office lady told me that people are ranked in the wait list according to their interview score. And that when accepted applicants decline their offer, the admissions office chooses someone from the wait list with similar demographics and interview score, i.e. if they lose someone with a low interview score, they will accept someone from the bottom third of the wait list of similar stats, residency status, same gender, etc. Therefore, I understood the wait list as not really being "ranked", but instead as 3 separate wait lists. 👎

1. I didn't know that interview performance was the only thing that factored into your position on the wait list.

2. Not saying you are wrong, but that makes no sense about replacing someone with a low interview score with another with a low interview score. I understand matching demographic scores but that literally makes no sense. It's basically saying they would take a more awkward person (in terms of conversations) rather than a normal person with the exact same stats. How does that help their school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha it doesn't help their school. I'm just sharing what the admissions office lady told me. I find this really confusing too.
 
If it's true that your waitlist placement is based solely on your interview score, then you'd think that the score/spot on the waitlist is something that is fixed. However, I know some people have reported moving up on the waitlist...I wonder how this works.
 
It is a combination of many things actually that gives your position in the waitlist. I had called to find out why I was waitlisted in September, and they told me that my interview was really good. However, They told me I'm still sitting in the middle third of the waitlist due to my mcat score. Hope this makes more sense.
 
I can assure you that when selecting people off the waitlist, the interview is certainly not the only thing that is looked at. The applicant is NOT ranked solely based on the interview. There are many factors and many people who decide the final outcome of the waitlist. Applications are thoroughly read and go through many rounds of review so that the top applicants are selected from the whole.

From SDN, you only get bits and pieces of what goes into admissions. Please don't make incorrect statements or assumptions about the admissions process based on the 1 factoid someone told you about.
 
after my interview was done, My interviewer said I should hang around the library, talk to some students, and get some contacts. I do not know why he said this to me. Is this a normal thing to say? I was so relieved that interview was over I didn't think about what he said and just left the library to start my long drive back to NJ.
 
Does anyone know someone in admissions who I could request to speak with for a little more explanation/guidance, besides the woman who normally answers the phone?
 
They are very proud of their student body (as they should be!), and I'm sure the interviewer just wanted avail you in the process of really getting to know some of the students and the school. I find it very hard to believe that it was some sort of test ("Let's see if this kid follows directions..." :meanie:), so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Best of luck! :xf:

after my interview was done, My interviewer said I should hang around the library, talk to some students, and get some contacts. I do not know why he said this to me. Is this a normal thing to say? I was so relieved that interview was over I didn't think about what he said and just left the library to start my long drive back to NJ.
 
They are very proud of their student body (as they should be!), and I'm sure the interviewer just wanted avail you in the process of really getting to know some of the students and the school. I find it very hard to believe that it was some sort of test ("Let's see if this kid follows directions..." :meanie:), so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Best of luck! :xf:

Yeah I don't know if the OP was concerned about following directions or wondering if this was a good sign that they might get in because they interviewer encouraged them to get a better feel for the school. I know that during my interview, my interviewer encouraged me to drive around the neighborhoods right next to the school (eat there and get a feel for it) before leaving. I ended up on the top 1/3 of the wait list, so they probably just say this to most people who interview at EVMS to better sell their school. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back though!
 
Yeah I am on the top 1/3 of the waitlist, but I thought the interview went well. I wrote an email to Dr. Solhaug recently saying I was still very interested in attending and how much I like the school. Don't know what else to do at this point...guess just WAIT but its just so HARD! ha. good luck again to everyone else who's waiting. lets hope we hear good news soon.
 
I know this is a gloomy topic, but is anyone starting to reapply? What do we need to do?

Hey, just want you to know you're not alone. I'll wait for the last school to render me its decision (not getting my hopes up) by May and if it didn't work out, I'll start studying and retake the MCAT again in Aug/Sept.

I really just need to square away MCAT first so I can focus on other aspects that add to my application (research, clinical exp, etc.). What's your plan?
 
Hey, just want you to know you're not alone. I'll wait for the last school to render me its decision (not getting my hopes up) by May and if it didn't work out, I'll start studying and retake the MCAT again in Aug/Sept.

I really just need to square away MCAT first so I can focus on other aspects that add to my application (research, clinical exp, etc.). What's your plan?

Thanks Whale 🙂

My plan was just to find something to add value to my application, I don't know what as of yet, and reapply...and hope hope hope? :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trust me... I waited 6 months for that phone call... It definitely sucks and will probably give you an ulcer, but just keep hanging in there. I'll say a few prayers for you all.

Yeah I am on the top 1/3 of the waitlist, but I thought the interview went well. I wrote an email to Dr. Solhaug recently saying I was still very interested in attending and how much I like the school. Don't know what else to do at this point...guess just WAIT but its just so HARD! ha. good luck again to everyone else who's waiting. lets hope we hear good news soon.
 
Just withdrew my acceptance. OOS male.

I made the move as quickly as I prudently could.

It's really a cool place and a wonderful school. As the first place to take me, I'll always love the place for that.


Best of luck to all.
 
Does anyone know how deferring works here? Do you have to go through the application process again (as in, it's just like not accepting enrollment and reapplying) or do they hold a place for you for next year's class? is this binding (as in, you are enrolled and it's final)?
 
It would be even better if you were a 3.6, 30 MCAT, from LA, South East Asian. 😀 haha! Congrats on getting in somewhere else though!
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone, recently got the invite to preview weekend. I'm extremely excited about it because I've always loved this school. I was wondering what everyone else is wearing/ do you think there's a "proper attire?" I'm not planning on wearing anything ridiculous... I ask this more because I'm unsure whether wearing a suit would be too much/ business casual wouldn't be enough.

Thanks
-STAT EKG
 
I emailed them and asked what we should wear... they said just wear something comfortable - no formal attire at all.
 
Yeah, I reread the email that I initally received and it says casual, so that makes me feel better. I definitely prefer wearing normal/comfortable clothes.
 
I went to preview weekend just wanted to clear some things up about the EVMS waitlist...

The only demographic distinction EVMS makes when pulling from the waitlist is OOS or IS. There's none of this further demographic matching that people have talked about... i.e. if an accepted in-state applicant withdraws, someone from in-state is taken off the waitlist, but the gender, age, race, etc. of the person withdrawing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person from the in-state waitlist who's accepted.

Also, the thirds aren't necessarily important when pulling people from the waitlist.

Just trying to make sure waitlisters have the right information about all of this stuff.

Good luck everyone 🙂 :luck:

-STAT EKG
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no gender or any other demographic other than IS or OOS plays a role in waitlist movement according what dr. solhaug said yesterday at the preview weekend. What he said was that they don't actively try to balance gender or any other ratio of demographic in the class...they base it on whether the student is a good fit for the school and IS/OSS. So whatever male to female ratio results is random. And as said in a previous post, the tier system isn't strictly used to take ppl off the waitlist
 
I went to preview weekend just wanted to clear some things up about the EVMS waitlist...

The only demographic distinction EVMS makes when pulling from the waitlist is OOS or IS. There's none of this further demographic matching that people have talked about... i.e. if an accepted in-state applicant withdraws, someone from in-state is taken off the waitlist, but the gender, age, race, etc. of the person withdrawing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person from the in-state waitlist who's accepted.

Also, the thirds aren't necessarily important when pulling people from the waitlist.

Just trying to make sure waitlisters have the right information about all of this stuff.

Good luck everyone 🙂 :luck:

-STAT EKG

Just out of curiousity - did anyone you met at Preview weekend fess up to knowing they weren't going to go to EVMS?
 
no gender or any other demographic other than IS or OOS plays a role in waitlist movement according what dr. solhaug said yesterday at the preview weekend. What he said was that they don't actively try to balance gender or any other ratio of demographic in the class...they base it on whether the student is a good fit for the school and IS/OSS. So whatever male to female ratio results is random. And as said in a previous post, the tier system isn't strictly used to take ppl off the waitlist
I guess that explains phantomx87's situation. (Congrats by the way!)
But why do they even make thirds then?

It can't just be to give us false hopes...rights? How does the waitlist system work?
 
I guess that explains phantomx87's situation. (Congrats by the way!)
But why do they even make thirds then?

It can't just be to give us false hopes...rights? How does the waitlist system work?
He said that after your interview, the committee member that interviews you gives you a number score based on your application and interview - that's how they rank you. Dr. Solhaug said that the ranking counts, but ppl who better fit the school through extracurriculars/service/etc are more likely to be offered a place rather than those with just the gpa + mcat. From what i understood, ranking does matter, but they review your whole application to make sure you'll fit in with their program
 
Thanks SW161QN! I guess I had previously assumed that activities had been part of our ranking. Good luck to all!
np. just to clarify though, he said that our whole application, which i assume includes activities + the interview gives the ranking...but when pulling ppl off the waitlist, they look at the specific activities to see if those activities indicate (in their opinion) that the applicant will fit in with the activities and mission of the school.

Hope that helps and wasn't confusing
 
Thanks for all the info! Did they say anything about the chance of people getting in off the waitlist who were not invited to preview weekend? Is there going to be another preview weekend? And, does anyone know specifically what activities they will be looking for? Thanks!!
 
EVMS is known for their service/outreach...so i would imagine any type of extended community service would be something they look for
 
Just curious how many people got invited to the preview weekend off the waiting list? Was the majority of waitlisters chosen OOS? Thanks
 
I just called to check my application status and .... I got accepted!!! This feels absolutely amazing as my long getting-into-medical-school journey has finally come to an end. I've been sending them tons of emails and called them several times since my invitation to preview weekend last month - I guess it paid off.
 
I just called to check my application status and .... I got accepted!!! This feels absolutely amazing as my long getting-into-medical-school journey has finally come to an end. I've been sending them tons of emails and called them several times since my invitation to preview weekend last month - I guess it paid off.

Awesome, congrats!!!!!

I just called and I'm still sitting on that WL. Oh well!
 
I just called to check my application status and .... I got accepted!!! This feels absolutely amazing as my long getting-into-medical-school journey has finally come to an end. I've been sending them tons of emails and called them several times since my invitation to preview weekend last month - I guess it paid off.

Congrats!!! Will we be seeing you in August? This years class is AWESOME, so I think we're going to have a lot of fun...
 
PS - For all you IS-ers... Be VERY glad that you won't have to worry about OOS tuition.

After the FinAid presentation for OOS, I can expect to be the proud owner of a $289K+ debt (NOT including interest)...:barf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Checked the mail today and the glorious fat envelope was waiting for me. WOOHOO! Good luck to all you other waitlisters out there. Keep the hope alive! :luck:
 
Congrats Chanson and Nausicaa217!! Would either of you be comfortable disclosing what your stats were GPA/MCAT/IS or OOS/age? Just tryin to see how high to place my hopes haha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.