2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do they have to fit in those spaces? because they let you paste more than is visible there, but you can scroll down and see the rest...?
Well you have to print out the application, if you print it out with the elongated boxes, all of your text will not show up so :shrug:, im taking that as it must only fit in the box.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to echo a previous question. Do any of you who got the retake email mind sharing what your initial MCAT score was. I have not received an email from them yet but I just submitted like a day ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to echo a previous question. Do any of you who got the retake email mind sharing what your initial MCAT score was. I have not received an email from them yet but I just submitted like a day ago.
If it helps my mcat is a 29Q and I received no such email...im assuming below that gets an email? Though honestly a 29 is about as low as you can get and still be accepted so im not sure why i did not get one. I am also disadvantaged and very interested in primary care, considering thats the mission of the school it seems, maybe they just dont care about my score?

Last edited:
yay just got this one!

my mcat was a 27R. i wont be retaking till mid august but i didnt want it to make me application late so I didn't say i was going to retake it. i guess i should've? apparrently their recommendation was more of a demand as when I replied that i wont be retaking she wrote me back saying my file won't be proceeding forward if I didn't retake. hopefully i'll have luck with my state schools *fingers crossed*

Good luck to everyone applying for next year. I was in the same spot last year. I just got my acceptance on Monday :thumbup:

Best of luck :luck:

how are you guys affixing those 2 photos? just stapeling then to the application?

how are you guys affixing those 2 photos? just stapeling then to the application?
i used a paper clip, no matter what you do it doesnt matter. Staple, paper clip, ductape, serious i doubt they base acceptances on how pics are on there:rolleyes:

also random question, not just for this school but any school. they say they prefer a LOR from a pre med advisor/ committee, which I have. Is it poor form to submit additional letters if you think they are good and would help you out?? I don't want to be annoying, but I dont want all my good letters to go to waste.

also random question, not just for this school but any school. they say they prefer a LOR from a pre med advisor/ committee, which I have. Is it poor form to submit additional letters if you think they are good and would help you out?? I don't want to be annoying, but I dont want all my good letters to go to waste.

Nope - not bad form; actually pretty common I'd imagine. I didn't have a pre-med committee letter (school doesn't have one), but I submitted two or three letters in addition to the required science/non-science profs. One of my interviewers actually brought up one of the additional letters and asked a few questions about the experience described in the letter.

So I am writing my essays in a word document so I can transfer them over. About how many characters are you guys using for each essay? I figure I have to fit them all on one page so I have been keeping that in mind. Each of mine came out to between 500-700 characters so they all fit on one page. How many do you guys have?

So I am writing my essays in a word document so I can transfer them over. About how many characters are you guys using for each essay? I figure I have to fit them all on one page so I have been keeping that in mind. Each of mine came out to between 500-700 characters so they all fit on one page. How many do you guys have?
I was able to fit about 900 characters.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps my mcat is a 29Q and I received no such email...im assuming below that gets an email? Though honestly a 29 is about as low as you can get and still be accepted so im not sure why i did not get one. I am also disadvantaged and very interested in primary care, considering thats the mission of the school it seems, maybe they just dont care about my score?

I got a 28 on my mcats, and I received that email. As of right now I am not so sure if I want to take my mcats over again since I won't have any time. I send the person who sent the email out a list of questions about retaking the mcat. Just a question, were you in state or out of state? And I am guessing 29 is the cut off line.

I got a 28 on my mcats, and I received that email. As of right now I am not so sure if I want to take my mcats over again since I won't have any time. I send the person who sent the email out a list of questions about retaking the mcat. Just a question, were you in state or out of state? And I am guessing 29 is the cut off line.

I am OOS and I also have a 29. I didn't get the email about retaking the MCAT so I would also assume that 29 is the cut off.

On another note, as far as the question regarding what we will like most...I am sure they get A TON that talk about helping people so I changed mine to basically talk about working in teams of physicians etc to problem solve etc...then i had someone edit it and they seemed to think i should stick with the typical "to help mankind" line...any suggestions?

anyone else verified in june still didn't get it?!!

Last edited:
OOS...in general just based on the msar and what ive heard from adcoms, 29 is in general seen as the lowest acceptable score for non urms...still low but still possible to be accepted at non top 20 schools.

On another note, as far as the question regarding what we will like most...I am sure they get A TON that talk about helping people so I changed mine to basically talk about working in teams of physicians etc to problem solve etc...then i had someone edit it and they seemed to think i should stick with the typical "to help mankind" line...any suggestions?

any suggestions before I mail this one off?

any suggestions before I mail this one off?
I went the typical route but imo outside the box is always a good thing as long as its reasonable and you believe it. Theres not really a wrong way to write this so id say go with what you think is best, unless an adcom at EVMS tells you otherwise;)

I went the typical route but imo outside the box is always a good thing as long as its reasonable and you believe it. Theres not really a wrong way to write this so id say go with what you think is best, unless an adcom at EVMS tells you otherwise;)

haha i can just imagine..."um actually teamwork is not the best part of being a physician...fail..." haha

haha i can just imagine..."um actually teamwork is not the best part of being a physician...fail..." haha
You could always go with "the best part of being a physician will be the 500k+ I will be making as a neruosurgeon, the enzo i will be driving will be all the thanks i need" maybe they will give you points for honesty :shrug:

Hey all,

So I was wondering if anybody could share with me what kind of thing they are writing for the question: Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
Are you answering the question as if it is asking "What would your dream job be like as a physician"? I am not sure how to answer this question, because really, 10 years from now wouldn't most of us still be doing our residencies? Or would we be fellows? Is this question asking us what residency program we hope to be in (i.e. what speciality we would want to pursue?) I know that I would want to eventually be a doctor in an academic university hospital, but it seems silly to say that I hope i will be a professor at a med school just 10 years from now when I at least have a whole year of being a pre-med and then 4 years of being a med school students.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

So I was wondering if anybody could share with me what kind of thing they are writing for the question: Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
Are you answering the question as if it is asking "What would your dream job be like as a physician"? I am not sure how to answer this question, because really, 10 years from now wouldn't most of us still be doing our residencies? Or would we be fellows? Is this question asking us what residency program we hope to be in (i.e. what speciality we would want to pursue?) I know that I would want to eventually be a doctor in an academic university hospital, but it seems silly to say that I hope i will be a professor at a med school just 10 years from now when I at least have a whole year of being a pre-med and then 4 years of being a med school students.

Thanks in advance!

it depends on what you want to do...for example if you do Emergency Medicine, Peds, etc you will be out of residency and probably practicing...but if you do surgery for example it will be much longer and you will still be in school...

it depends on what you want to do...for example if you do Emergency Medicine, Peds, etc you will be out of residency and probably practicing...but if you do surgery for example it will be much longer and you will still be in school...

Yea, that's what I thought too. But I heard that it isn't a great idea to write essays as if you are positive what you want to specialize in. I am pretty sure I want to do peds, but I would rather not write somehting like that. Do you think the school wants to know what I want to do after I am done with all my years in school regardless of what I end up specializing in? Or do you think they want you to give a more realistic timeline of your plans?

i didnt get a secondary here, and i have a 28! anyone else verified in june still didn't get it?!!

Ya I was verified in june and didn't get it. :( I'm not a VA resident though even though I went to high school in virginia and would love to return. I wonder what the OOS screen was!

i didnt get a secondary here, and i have a 28! anyone else verified in june still didn't get it?!!

Ya I was verified in june and didn't get it. :( I'm not a VA resident though even though I went to high school in virginia and would love to return. I wonder what the OOS screen was!

I didn't get a secondary either. I guess i'm never gonig to get one. It's weird how I got VCU and not EVMS. :(

I'm pretty sure they are not done giving out secondaries yet.

I haven't gotten an email from them and I'm instate...

I'm pretty sure they are not done giving out secondaries yet.

I haven't gotten an email from them and I'm instate...

I got an email invite for a secondary about 2 weeks ago. I'm IS as well. I was also verified in mid June though. You might want to give them a call and check on your status, unless you were verified very recently.

I was verified june 29 (so like... two weeks ago lol... so I TOTALLY thought I was verified mid june... I lie... I was verified at the end of june ha.ha sorry)

I called and they said they were still looking over my app :)

ON EDIT: Do call if you have questions. I thought the admissions office was very helpful

Last edited:
Yea, that's what I thought too. But I heard that it isn't a great idea to write essays as if you are positive what you want to specialize in. I am pretty sure I want to do peds, but I would rather not write somehting like that. Do you think the school wants to know what I want to do after I am done with all my years in school regardless of what I end up specializing in? Or do you think they want you to give a more realistic timeline of your plans?

yeah I'm not even sure what I want to specialize in, but it's hard to answer this question in generalities without sounding cheesy... I could see myself doing several different things in 10 years...

how do you know if you're complete? do they email?
I think email? I dont really know honestly, I submitted this like 2 weeks ago they should have it by now. Ill call and update back here later :)

Finally got a secondary invite. OOS. Verified 7/1

is there a status page for this yet?

awesome, thanks!
So there is no status page apparently, they said they send out a postcard or something when you are complete via snail mail (id assume). The lady i called was really nice and checked my status on the comp for me. FWIW i got my 2ndary on 7/6, sent it out on 7/8, and apparently today they got it in the mail and im complete and ready for review.

So there is no status page apparently, they said they send out a postcard or something when you are complete via snail mail (id assume). The lady i called was really nice and checked my status on the comp for me. FWIW i got my 2ndary on 7/6, sent it out on 7/8, and apparently today they got it in the mail and im complete and ready for review.
It took a week? That's pretty excessive...

just got screened out from evms..=( 28 and 3.44 sci is cut off =(

looks like im prolly gonna end up in carribean..since im instate =(

It took a week? That's pretty excessive...
Maybe i misunderstood her that she got it today :shrug: idk. I just heard "it looks like you are complete." That was good enoguh for me :)

Woohoo!! Thankfully my GPA barely met the cutoff since my overall GPA wouldn't have. Informal post-bacc saves the day!

I think EVMS was among my first rejections when I first applied. You get numb to bad news later :)

Last edited:

sorry to hear that simran, dont give up though its different with every school and there are other schools that will look past your stats! good luck :luck:

im applyling to 40 schools all together so hoepfulyl 1 will take me.

Just got rejected. FYI, I got the 'recommend retake MCAT' e-mail.

i was hoping for this school, considering it is not ranked that high, whatever those rankings mean.

im sorry to hear about that joshto..its still early in the season we still have hope not to worry! =)

Just got rejected. FYI, I got the 'recommend retake MCAT' e-mail.

i was hoping for this school, considering it is not ranked that high, whatever those rankings mean.

sry to hear that :( did you get rejected post secondary? or did you get screened out?

i dont like this school anymore, does everyone who got the "recommended retake" email, plan to retake? i am not re-taking this year and now i donno if i should do the secondary?!

Just got a pre-secondary rejection. 31, 3.3 BCPM 3.5 cumulative, OOS (new york) verified early june, diverse ECs. guess they dont want me. GOOD LUCK GUYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.