2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i wish they made the postcard more noticeable...i was about th throw away all my mail cause it looked like junk then i see EVMS 🙁

yeah i know...and chances are there is no other way to know if you are complete w/o calling...not that i know of anyway
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any statistics from their site how many OOS applicants they accepted last year? AAMC claims close to 40%, but I have been finding their statistics for OOS matriculants to be false lately...

I bought the US News & Report Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools book 3rd edition. For EV, it says 35% accepted are OOS. For VCU, it says about 50% accepted are OOS. I would say the safe thing to assume is the ballpark of 30-40%. Well, anyway, it's one of the public schools that is well-known for accepting many OOS.
 
Definately no firm GPA cut off. I just got it and I have a <3.3 BCPM.

I'm betting they have a more complicated formula involving GPA, MCAT score, and how generous the admissions officer is feeling that day. 😉
 
How did you fit the course name/number into the grid? Did you just use the name or the number?

Try to fit it as best you can, if not just change "general Chemistry" to maybe "GenChemistry". They said it's just for the purpose of seeing if you completed it, they will look at your entire transcript
 
Try to fit it as best you can, if not just change "general Chemistry" to maybe "GenChemistry". They said it's just for the purpose of seeing if you completed it, they will look at your entire transcript

I just used the number (like Phys 114)... there was no way to fit the course prefix, number, and name.
 
EVMS said:
Your application to the entering class of 2010 at the Eastern Virginia Medical School has been reviewed. Unfortunately, we are unable to grant you acceptance to the Entering Class of 2010 at the Eastern Virginia Medical School. We regret that all interested applicants cannot be accepted, but wish you much success in your future endeavors.

....and if we had a huge plot of land, we would adopt all of the animals in animal shelters and just let them run wild! 😀

Good luck to the rest of you who don't get this email. 👍
 
....and if we had a huge plot of land, we would adopt all of the animals in animal shelters and just let them run wild! 😀

Good luck to the rest of you who don't get this email. 👍

sorry to hear that, did you by any chance get the re-take mcat email before you submitted?
 
got the rejection email today...... very depressing. apparently my 36T mcat does not make up for my science gpa..... which is sadly the result of one bad class that I retook and got an A in......

my aacomas science gpa is a 3.45, since they use your most recent grade in a class if you retook it......
 
Got the secondary...twice actually. They sent me the same email once a week ago and again today. Wow haha.

30Q MCAT, 3.48 sGPA, 3.51 cGPA, two jobs, one science related, a year of research, and some other stuff. Good luck to anyone else who applies: Maryland is towards the top of my list. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was so ready to mail this one in until i saw the VA resident form and realized my voter registration card was no where to be found.. had to order a new one. i hope submitting a little later wont hurt my chances

FYI - you can go on the Virginia Voter website and print off a report:

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/PublicSite/Public/FT2/PublicLookup.aspx?Link=Registration

or just go into any DMV that does voter registration and they can give you a few copies of a notarized letter confirming you.
 
You guys check out the LOR reqs??

Since my school doesn't have a pre-health committee, I'm supposed to go to each one of my letter writers and have them sign EVMS's rec letter form?! It seems like EVMS wants them to rewrite the letter too according to their guidelines. And then somehow I have to attach these forms to the letters which are already electronically uploaded onto AMCAS letters 😕

:help:
 
You guys check out the LOR reqs??

Since my school doesn't have a pre-health committee, I'm supposed to go to each one of my letter writers and have them sign EVMS's rec letter form?! It seems like EVMS wants them to rewrite the letter too according to their guidelines. And then somehow I have to attach these forms to the letters which are already electronically uploaded onto AMCAS letters 😕

:help:

When I initially looked at the application, I found that form very confusing as well. Eventually I realized I didn't need to complete it, as I'm using a committee letter, but your confusion is totally warranted. I'd suggest calling the Admissions Office tomorrow morning and asking for some clarification. They are extremely friendly at EVMS, and I'm sure this has to have come up before. If I recall, this is the first year they have used the LOR service, so the form could even just be a holdover from years past... but you never know unless you ask.
 
woohoo :woot:, lady said you don't gotta fill out the letter waiving form if you're using AMCAS letters... Which is strange cuz I'm pretty sure no such exception is stated on the website. :lame:
 
According to last year's thread, people were getting acceptances here as early as the middle of September. Is that even allowed? For some reason I thought schools couldn't accept you until 10/15.
 
How did you guys go about sending the paper application -- were you able to type on the pdf and print it? I typed mine up then when I moved it to a computer where I could print out it wouldn't show any of my responses, just had all the blank fields, and I think it looks really sloppy fully handwritten.
 
so i just called admissions here to see if i was complete (i had originally omitted one of the in state required documents) and she said i was complete and set aside for an interview.. but that they werent sending out invitations just yet?? confusing.. i think its good hah but at least we know not to expect news anytime soon
 
so i just called admissions here to see if i was complete (i had originally omitted one of the in state required documents) and she said i was complete and set aside for an interview.. but that they werent sending out invitations just yet?? confusing.. i think its good hah but at least we know not to expect news anytime soon

Got the same news when I called today. I'd suggest giving them a ring tomorrow if you haven't heard anything since submitting the secondary.
 
According to last year's thread, people were getting acceptances here as early as the middle of September. Is that even allowed? For some reason I thought schools couldn't accept you until 10/15.

Yeah, I saw that too... It seems like they unofficially told people if they called to check. I think the official (paper?) acceptance can only come after 10/15. Who knows... but I will try calling two weeks after an interview (if I get one) to check!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow - I called up and I was told they haven't received a thing. I sent it 3 weeks ago.

UPDATE: Must have fallen through the woodwork. Check was cashed a few weeks ago and it is now complete.
 
Last edited:
Are the interview invites sent out in the mail or e-mail?

They're sent out in a hand-made wax-sealed envelope. Your address is hand-written in the most beautiful calligraphy. Quill and octopus ink, of course. Inside, there's a finely-crafted piece of papyrus with gold-embossed font inviting you to tea with the ADCOM.

Just as a side note, the committee meets every Wednesday to review new applications.
 
They're sent out in a hand-made wax-sealed envelope. Your address is hand-written in the most beautiful calligraphy. Quill and octopus ink, of course. Inside, there's a finely-crafted piece of papyrus with gold-embossed font inviting you to tea with the ADCOM.

Just as a side note, the committee meets every Wednesday to review new applications.

That would be awesome. :laugh:
 
Congrats you guys!! When were you complete?

Thanks! I believe I was complete somewhere around 7/15-7/17. I don't know for sure, because I had to mail a bunch of stuff in for in-state tuition validation and what not, and I lost that postcard they sent😳

By the way, congrats to everyone else with interview invites as well!!

Good luck to the rest! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a secondary at the beginning of last week, these essays are taking me a little while though. Does anyone know how long they prefer them to be?
 
Man i'm getting jammed with these secondaries. My one-month EVMS secondary deadline is like next week!! I also got another deadline the same week :scared: And I still got like 20 left... :help:
 
Man i'm getting jammed with these secondaries. My one-month EVMS secondary deadline is like next week!! I also got another deadline the same week :scared: And I still got like 20 left... :help:

dude EVMS had a one month deadline?! guess i have officially withdrawn from here 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.