2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did it take between "secondary submitted" to being reviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Try e-mailing them right now, anyway. Then call Monday morning ASAP. But I wouldn't worry - plan to go on Monday as initially confirmed...

Interviews are only being held on Mondays and Fridays at this point. So I would be prepared to come Monday.

Good Luck!
(from a member of the class of 2013)

the idea that they only accept 60 or so students out of so many interviewed really scares me...
mind sharing how u are preparing aside from looking at school website, practice questions from sdn, etc?

i have accumulated all the sdn interview questiosn and plan to go through answers for them.

I believe the second class will also be 43 students too.

Members don't see this ad :)
The info online states that they are looking for about 60 for this year

so if your status page says "preliminary review completed" but you haven't gotten any emails or anything, that means you're on hold?

Eek my status just changed to "preliminary review completed" 10 minutes ago. I wonder how much time should pass without news of an interview before I assume I'm on hold.

Eek my status just changed to "preliminary review completed" 10 minutes ago. I wonder how much time should pass without news of an interview before I assume I'm on hold.

:luck:.

Is there a link? I was searching everywhere for it. Thanks!:oops:
I swear I'm not making it up but I can't seem to find that section anymore. Maybe they lost it when they changed the site around :p

It was a little table that said first class - 40, second class - 60, third - 80(?), fourth - 120. Those last two numbers may not be totally accurate but they were definitely looking to increase every year for the first four years.

I swear I'm not making it up but I can't seem to find that section anymore. Maybe they lost it when they changed the site around :p

It was a little table that said first class - 40, second class - 60, third - 80(?), fourth - 120. Those last two numbers may not be totally accurate but they were definitely looking to increase every year for the first four years.

yeah, that was the site I was looking for! I saw that before but now I can't find it. At least I know that I wasn't imagining things.:laugh:

yeah, that was the site I was looking for! I saw that before but now I can't find it. At least I know that I wasn't imagining things.:laugh:
Both of you need to stop drinkin' and SDNin'...:D

Here's the link you are looking for

http://medicine.fiu.edu/students.php?ss=ps&sub=faq

at the bottom of the faq's page it states:

"
How many students will be accepted?
Matriculation Year

Projected # of Students

2009-2010

2010-2011

2011-2012

2012-2013

120 "​

Members don't see this ad :)
No Prob BlueElmo!
I wish they would've at least increased to 60 for this year! Oh well, I guess we just gotta cross our fingers and hope that we're part of the 40 :)

I think it's UCF that's expanding to 60 this year.

The Dean of Student Affairs told me it was 40 this year as well. UCF is expanding to 60 this year.

The Dean of Student Affairs told me it was 40 this year as well. UCF is expanding to 60 this year.

Somewhere on their website it says 60 - but in another spot it said 40, so I was confused as well.

Don't worry if your application says "preliminary review completed." I've had that status since 8/12 without any e-mail updates and today I got an interview invite.

I just got my invitation to interview, too! : ) Does anyone know how many people they chose for interviews last year?

Don't worry if your application says "preliminary review completed." I've had that status since 8/12 without any e-mail updates and today I got an interview invite.

Uh-huh, I've had it for a couple days and just got an invite this morning :D

Haha thanks! that's pretty cool. I wonder if I'll be able to figure out who you are, or the other way around.

By the way, is anyone else a reapp to FIU? I'm feeling a little scared - they did not interview me last year, but I've got a feeling they're going to be a little tough on me.

Well, I'm a bit worried too, especially since they seem to be giving so many interviews with so few spots this year.

I am! Soo nervous bc I really really like this school :)

Please share the experience with us! Also, don't be discouraged if they don't accept you right away. They do not accept many people right after the interview, and most who get in do so some time next year.

It wasn't bad at all. Everyone there was SUPER nice, like seriously super nice. Interview was only 30 minutes. Maybe brush up on your ethics.

It wasn't bad at all. Everyone there was SUPER nice, like seriously super nice. Interview was only 30 minutes. Maybe brush up on your ethics.

Congrats! Getting nervous here.

Do they send a complete email or something ? I submitted my secondary 2 weeks ago and all it says is on my status page is "Secondary Application Completed"

Sounds good! By ethics, do you mean knowing topics on ethics or make sure we have good ethics?

Do they send a complete email or something ? I submitted my secondary 2 weeks ago and all it says is on my status page is "Secondary Application Completed"

I don't think so. You need to check your status online.

status has been 'review pending' for a while now. Hold???

status has been 'review pending' for a while now. Hold???

Well if they haven't reviewed your app I don't see how you could be on hold.... Mine has said " Preliminary Review Completed" for a week so I'll assume I'm on hold if it stays that way for a while.

Yeah, I think that might mean a hold.

Yeah, I think that might mean a hold.

yeah, that's what I figured too ... but I wonder what they are holding for? I mean, what do you think this means as far as ... holding for what??

yeah, that's what I figured too ... but I wonder what they are holding for? I mean, what do you think this means as far as ... holding for what??

Maybe for more applicants?

...holding for some decent applicants! That'd be nice :D

i submitted on 8/29 and just got an interview invite today. so i think they can turn things around pretty quickly. if anyone else is also interviewing on 9/25, see u there! :)

yay! got an invite! first one! i submitted around 8/10 and got the invite today. i schedule my interview for october since i'll be out of the country in september. woot.

Sounds good! By ethics, do you mean knowing topics on ethics or make sure we have good ethics?
both lol. know all the topics and have communicable views on them :)

Anybody interviewing tomorrow? If you are, make sure to post about it!

FIU IS AWESOME!!!! it is truly a unique and innovative medical school, plus everyone was really nice

I've been pretty impressed with this school's administration so far -- I emailed them about a question and got a reply 2 hours later on a Saturday evening. Anyone have any feedback on their curriculum though? Not sure if there are any current students on SDN, but I'd be interested to hear what people think about their PBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.