2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing a lot of rejections/waitlists/etc. on this forum lately.

I just want to dispel some of the potential doom and gloom, because despite euphemisms like "we love you and you'll be a great doctor somewhere but not here" I know getting rejected sucks. I didn't get into med school my first application cycle. My 2nd time around I did. I'm now glad of it because had I gotten in my first time around, TCMC wouldn't have been an option for me, just a dream of some people in some city named Scranton without a medical school. Or maybe not a dream but a 1000 page proposal or a blueprint or something. I guess read the Dean's Blog from 2 years ago if it really matters to you.

With that said, being on a wait list probably isn't the best time to kick up your feet and wait. Likewise right after being rejected isn't the time to take another job if you REALLY want to be a doctor.

What I'd suggest is start thinking about plan B, because there's only so much time. Consider masters programs, which is what I did in my off year.

TCMC has a masters in biomedical science. If you really want to come here you still might be able to if you apply to TCMC's MBS program. Granted you won't get a white coat for a year, but you'll be one step closer to your dreams, plus have a lot more brain cells full of knowledge about biochemistry or whatever.

Also other schools have similar things. I'd recommend applying to Georgetown or University of Cincinnati masters of physiology programs too because who knows if you'll get into TCMC's MBS thing.

Even if these programs don't interest you, think of something to do. If you get an interview next year and they ask what did you do in the year between this interview and your last one, you don't want to say that you did nothing. Maybe look for some research thing. Or travel the world in a hot air balloon or submarine. Or become a teacher. But do something interesting.

Okay, sorry to get on a a soapbox and make a long spam filled post. Just trying to help people who are in a similar situation to the one I was in a couple years ago, trying to be a nice guy. I also tend to type kind of "stream of consciousness" with no proofreading or editing so stuff might not flow in a logical manner. But honestly I have GI physiology to worry about so making sense on this forum isn't my chief concern; rather chief cells are ironically my chief concern right now. Parietal cells are cool too.

As always, pm me questions or whatever... or just post them here if they aren't too personal, can help others, and you are an altruistic person who should probably get into med school anyway. Good luck!
im waitlisted but invited to attend second look, any suggestion on how to put in that extra effort to boost my apps? or does it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump....

Here's to hearing something tomorrow for the 3/5 interview group!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've decided to withdraw my acceptance. Hopefully one of my fellow SDN hopefuls will come off the waitlist! :)

Does anyone know how to go about withdrawing?

Sending them an e-mail works just fine. I withdrew my acceptance a little while ago, sent the e-mail to [email protected]. I got a very prompt response. Good luck to all of you!

im waitlisted but invited to attend second look, any suggestion on how to put in that extra effort to boost my apps? or does it even matter?

does everyone who is waitlisted get an invite for a second look? or is it only for in state applicants?

does everyone who is waitlisted get an invite for a second look? or is it only for in state applicants?

I'm in-state, interviewed on 03/05, waitlisted on 03/17 and have yet to receive a second-look email.
Seeing as it may have gone out before my decisions round, I presume that there will be another round of that invite going around sometime in the near future.

FYI: I called them today and they let me aware that 2/3 of their current class came from the waitlist!
My point is, stay positive. And def go up for a second look if you're dead set on TCMC ..I'll see y'all there!

Ps. Their Admins are incredibly nice, I have not a clue why they are, but I hope they don't lose that touch. :)

I'm in-state, interviewed on 03/05, waitlisted on 03/17 and have yet to receive a second-look email.
Seeing as it may have gone out before my decisions round, I presume that there will be another round of that invite going around sometime in the near future.

FYI: I called them today and they let me aware that 2/3 of their current class came from the waitlist!
My point is, stay positive. And def go up for a second look if you're dead set on TCMC ..I'll see y'all there!

Ps. Their Admins are incredibly nice, I have not a clue why they are, but I hope they don't lose that touch. :)

Thanks, that's very reassuring, knowing that their current class gets 1/2 tuition. I would expect the percentage of acceptance from the waitlist for this incoming class to be higher because we won't be getting as much scholarship, if any, had we been accepted.

thanks, that's very reassuring, knowing that their current class gets 1/2 tuition. I would expect the percentage of acceptance from the waitlist for this incoming class to be higher because we won't be getting as much scholarship, if any, had we been accepted.

bingo! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I sent them an e-mail and was told that everyone that was accepted and waitlisted was invited.

This is AWESOME news!!!! Thank you for posting!!!! Does anyone know the size of TCMC's waitlist?!?! In state to out of state ratio/numbers for waitlist??

I sent them an e-mail and was told that everyone that was accepted and waitlisted was invited.

Does anybody know when 'Second Look' is?
..Mind posting the details or copy/pasting the email on here?
Thanks in advance! :)

Does anybody know when 'Second Look' is?
..Mind posting the details or copy/pasting the email on here?
Thanks in advance! :)

its on 4/17

.Dear Student,.
. .
.TCMC will be hosting a Medical School Revisit Day on Saturday, April 17, 2010 from 12pm-5pm at our facilities at Lackawanna College, 501 Vine St., Scranton, PA 18509. Revisit Day will give you, the opportunity to learn more about TCMC. You will be able to visit with first year faculty and various departments. We will also be holding a housing fair during Revisit Day and you will have opportunity to meet with local landlords and apartment complexes to get an idea of what is available here in Scranton. Scholarship information will be available as well as the opportunity to talk with some of our current students. .
. .
.Please let us know if you will be attending Revisit Day by clicking on the following link, ..... If you do not know your TCMC ID number please leave it blank. More information regarding parking will be available as the date draws near..
. .
.If you have any questions please contact me via email, or at the number below, and I will be happy to help you. .
.Sincerely,.
.Kelley Hopa.

Really hoping the waitlist moves. My son is an MBS student who really wants to stay in state and practice in state. Would be a real dream for him. Maybe he'll get into the school, and we'll also get to meet some fellow waitlisters who become TCMC students! I do make great chocolate chip cookies. You would have that to look forward to as well. Takes the edge off studying for your exams.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus route up to scranton from richmond, va? Or is anyone coming this way for preview weekend? I drive a scooter and, well, to say the least it would make the drive difficult, haha.

Also, has everyone that has been waitlisted received an invite yet? Thought I saw a few people saying they haven't yet. IS/OSS?

Hey everybody,
Though I was extremely sad to do so, I withdrew from TCMC today. I hope whomever gets my spot loves this school as much as I did!

Good luck, waitlisters! :luck:

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus route up to scranton from richmond, va? Or is anyone coming this way for preview weekend? I drive a scooter and, well, to say the least it would make the drive difficult, haha.

Also, has everyone that has been waitlisted received an invite yet? Thought I saw a few people saying they haven't yet. IS/OSS?

I assume you received the 'Revisit Day' email sent later on today, if you didn't then I would suggest you call Ms. Hopa.

As far as bus lines, I don't know to Scranton but I know there's one to York (PA) and I wouldn't mind driving up with (3 hours) if you were up for it :)

I assume you received the 'Revisit Day' email sent later on today, if you didn't then I would suggest you call Ms. Hopa.

As far as bus lines, I don't know to Scranton but I know there's one to York (PA) and I wouldn't mind driving up with (3 hours) if you were up for it :)

I actually got it on the 10th but was wondering if all the other invites had come out yet. But yeah, that sounds good; riding with you. Let me check on some bus ticket prices to york. Feel free to PM me.

Did anyone get an itinerary or something for this? I clicked the “will attend” thing but I may have to leave early so I was hoping there was something non-essential towards the end. That room was packed for the interview since it was a double group, I'm curious how they are going to fit all the accepted and waitlisted students in.
Aqua, ever hear from the other guy we met up with how it turned out?

Did anyone get an itinerary or something for this? I clicked the “will attend” thing but I may have to leave early so I was hoping there was something non-essential towards the end. That room was packed for the interview since it was a double group, I'm curious how they are going to fit all the accepted and waitlisted students in.

I never got one. I hope they send one out; it's not to far off! Maybe I'll give'em a call

Waitlisted as well, and I'm not sure if I can make the re-visit day either :(

Waitlisted as well, and I'm not sure if I can make the re-visit day either :(

Sorry to hear it man, I think Aqua and I assumed you were a lock. Our 3 man crew all waitlisted, nature of a late season interview I guess. I debated not going to the re-visit as I'll be driving several hours to Scranton and then racing to DC for a dinner. Afraid it will look like lack of interest though so I'm just going to have to enjoy some quality driving time.

Sorry to hear you can't make it man ..Oh btw, did USUHS come through? :)

Thanks. USUHS did come through, and I'm VERY excited about it. I got one of the 2 NIAID-funded PHS slots. Right now my acceptance is contingent on being medically cleared etc. though, so I don't have an unconditional acceptance yet. In other words, I'm still kind of sweating it out :xf:

Thanks. USUHS did come through, and I'm VERY excited about it. I got one of the 2 NIAID-funded PHS slots. Right now my acceptance is contingent on being medically cleared etc. though, so I don't have an unconditional acceptance yet. In other words, I'm still kind of sweating it out :xf:

CONGRATULATIONS!!
..Don't worry yourself. I'm no Doc but from my mere observation, you have a clean bill of health! :p

Anyone know when the schedule for the second look weekend is coming out?!

For those of you who asked about space - 2nd visit weekend is in the summer when Lackawanna College is on summer break (maybe med school too, don't know what day 2nd visit is, we get out june 4th).

So public spaces can fit you all in. Last year we were in the cafeteria for example.

Good luck all.

First time posting in this forum, but I've been reading it for months. I interviewed on 3/19 and just was emailed a rejection. Really disappointing, but still hoping for the rest of my schools to pull through. Here's the full breakdown of my application cycle with TCMC:
Complete 1/22
Interview Invite 2/10
Interview 3/19
Rejection 4/7
Hope this helps someone!!

Waitlisted today... interviewed on 3/19

Does anyone know if there was a lot of waitlist movement last year at this school?

An earlier post said last year 2/3 of the class was filled from the waitlist. Hopefully more will come from the waitlist this year because there is no scholarship this year.

Also, thank you to all for posting your withdraws from either an acceptance or the waitlist. It's good for us remaining on the waitlist to know that there are some spots opening up. Keeping my hopes up! Good luck everyone!

Does anyone have an idea as to what the dress is for Revisit Day? Just don't want to be over or under-dressed.

I was wondering the same thing, Mustang. I would guess khakis and a decent shirt.

Have they started taking anyone from the waitlist yet? I guess they are still wrapping up regular interviews still, so it might not move for a while. Has anyone heard how many people are on the waitlist?

Complete 1/11
Invite 3/4
Interviewed 3/12
Accepted 3/25 !!:luck:
OOS, 31R

Does Anyone know what we'll be doing on 2nd look day yet? Even vaguely? Another presentation? Or a more in depth tour? Any more info on the regional campus?

I still haven't gotten a schedule for it yet.

For those of you who don't get into TCMC's medical school, but are considering their MBS program, they have updated the TCMC MBS admission information on their website. It states that they will hold "several slots" for their medical school for the TCMC MBS students that meet the medical school's requirements. If this holds true, then those of you who need a stronger science background should consider applying to their MBS program. The interview process is very easy, and the curriculum is solid. My son is currently heavy into research right now and compiling a lot of data for his presentation and poster. The data research he is doing is very community-based. While the numbers of TCMC MBS accepted students is still low, there is still a possibility of more of these students being accepted. If that happens, I would continue to encourage a number of you to apply to this program. Personally, I am holding onto a donation request I received from TCMC months ago. If they accept my child, I will certainly be donating, as this would be proof that they really are looking for future doctors to practice in Northeastern PA!

Hey all, fairly new member, didn't find out about this site till late in the application game...sucks to be me, ha ha...

Anyway, I just had my interview on 4/7 and am very nervous about what final decision will be. All my other interviews have gone REALLY well, while I wouldn't say this one was bad, it definitely was awkward. Meaning that it seemed like one of the interviews hadn't even read my application and most definitely enjoyed hearing himself talk more than anything else, while the other interviewer was the timid/mild type and had like no joke, two generically vague questions....thus it was really my job at the end to make conversation by asking questions etc...

All that said, I was wondering what the stats/scores of those who have been admitted recently are... I'm new to SDN, so I don't know if this is an uncouth question... figured that it doesn't hurt to ask.

My stats are as follows: Cumulative GPA of 3.653, science GPA is slightly higher, 29S on MCAT, plenty of clinical experience, some research, tons of extra curricular and volunteering, very good recs, Emory graduate.

Is anyone bringing parents to second look day? Are we allowed to bring them?

Are you accepted or waitlisted? I was told that because of the potentially large turn out, waitlisted persons are being asked not to bring guests. Maybe they'll change it if they get a smaller head count; you can always call.

i'm bringing mine... they would kill me if i didn't haha

i think the dress code is probably nice, but definitely not interview-nice. no suits for me!

Also, thank you to all for posting your withdraws from either an acceptance or the waitlist. It's good for us remaining on the waitlist to know that there are some spots opening up. Keeping my hopes up! Good luck everyone!

Withdrawing my acceptance today. Best of luck all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.