2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ahhh hey guys! i've been checking my status page every like 10 minutes! has anyone heard anything yet???

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i just got off the phone with the admissions office...they said that they did have their adcom meeting on tuesday but they still haven't heard the final results of that meeting in the admissions office...so we should all find out early next week any decisions that they made

i guess we can all relax for the weekend and keep checking starting monday haha...hope this helps all of those waiting for decisions a little bit!

Called this morning, same status! :rolleyes:

wait, so did they say when they think we mighttt find out?

Hello, I'm usually a lurker on here, but I thought I'd contribute...

I interviewed back in Oct, and was accepted a week later (by some miracle, as my stats are rather unremarkable. my research experience is pretty extensive, though, and I think that, coupled with submitting the secondary the moment it came out really helped)

Anyhow, I just got an email from TCMC prompting me to take a survey... apparently they are thinking about offering a combined MD-MHA (master of health administration) degree, provided there is sufficient interest among students. The MHA would be offered through University of Scranton, and it would require an additional year of school (before clinical rotations start, I think). I submitted the survey already, so I no longer have access to the details, but i think that covers most of it!

I interviewed back in Oct, and was accepted a week later (by some miracle, as my stats are rather unremarkable. my research experience is pretty extensive, though, and I think that, coupled with submitting the secondary the moment it came out really helped)

Anyhow, I just got an email from TCMC prompting me to take a survey... apparently they are thinking about offering a combined MD-MHA (master of health administration) degree, provided there is sufficient interest among students. The MHA would be offered through University of Scranton, and it would require an additional year of school (before clinical rotations start, I think). I submitted the survey already, so I no longer have access to the details, but i think that covers most of it!

Hey Happykid, would mind if I ask if you are from Pennsylvania or an area around Scranton? It seems TCMC would give leeway to Scranton-area applicants with mediocre stats.

Bowlin123, I am a PA resident (southeastern PA) but not from the Scranton area.

Same here...I got the survey yesterday. An MD-MHA degree is an interesting idea. I also have relatively mediocre stats, but I'm from the Pittsburgh area.

Yeah, listen to TCMC over me. I'm a student. I try to pass on all applicable gossip, but I don't know everything. Also, I have to learn medicine so I don't have time to find out everything. But I try to help. Also there's like a 75% chance you'll see me on interview day. :p

Best of luck to all waitlisted/interviewed. Let me know if you have any other questions and as always feel free to private message me on forums.

I'm sure this has been covered but does anyone know the closest hotel?

Anyone willing to save me from reading the 9 pages of discussion looking for this will earn my sincere gratitude. I’m driving from Southeast PA but I figure I’d rather go the night before and wake up rested and ready to go.

I'm sure this has been covered but does anyone know the closest hotel?

Anyone willing to save me from reading the 9 pages of discussion looking for this will earn my sincere gratitude. I’m driving from Southeast PA but I figure I’d rather go the night before and wake up rested and ready to go.

Radisson, TCMC rate, walking distance. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
TCMC is there any way to find out the reason for rejection? Just to know what went wrong in order to not make the same mistake in future.

TCMC is there any way to find out the reason for rejection? Just to know what went wrong in order to not make the same mistake in future.

would suggest you send an email directly to admissions and ask them. My guess is that it isn't so much a "mistake" as a not good fit for us. You would not have gotten to the interview stage unless you were qualified with your GPA & MCAT numbers etc. We are truly looking for people who are a good fit with who we are & what we are trying to do. For example someone who wanted an intensive research career might not be a good fit for us, we are looking for people who really believe in service, who want to be stellar community docs in any specialty. While people who don't want that may be right for many other schools they just might not be good for us. So don't look at it that you mis spoke or made a mistake just see it as trying to find a school for you that will fulfill your dreams of the kind of doctor you want to be. Best of luck finding that perfect match!

Last edited:
Hey TCMC,

I was waitlisted in October, presumably because my MCAT scores were only mediocre but respectable. Do you think taking MCAT again (and raise the scores) in March would help my chance of acceptance at TCMC? I think on the email it says that the waitlist would not be ranked until May 15th, would you explain how the waitlist will be ranked? Would there be anything I can do to help my standings? Thanks in advance.

waitlisted today....yet another reason to be obsessed with this whole application process...awesome :p

I've been seeing a lot of rejections/waitlists/etc. on this forum lately.

I just want to dispel some of the potential doom and gloom, because despite euphemisms like "we love you and you'll be a great doctor somewhere but not here" I know getting rejected sucks. I didn't get into med school my first application cycle. My 2nd time around I did. I'm now glad of it because had I gotten in my first time around, TCMC wouldn't have been an option for me, just a dream of some people in some city named Scranton without a medical school. Or maybe not a dream but a 1000 page proposal or a blueprint or something. I guess read the Dean's Blog from 2 years ago if it really matters to you.

With that said, being on a wait list probably isn't the best time to kick up your feet and wait. Likewise right after being rejected isn't the time to take another job if you REALLY want to be a doctor.

What I'd suggest is start thinking about plan B, because there's only so much time. Consider masters programs, which is what I did in my off year.

TCMC has a masters in biomedical science. If you really want to come here you still might be able to if you apply to TCMC's MBS program. Granted you won't get a white coat for a year, but you'll be one step closer to your dreams, plus have a lot more brain cells full of knowledge about biochemistry or whatever.

Also other schools have similar things. I'd recommend applying to Georgetown or University of Cincinnati masters of physiology programs too because who knows if you'll get into TCMC's MBS thing.

Even if these programs don't interest you, think of something to do. If you get an interview next year and they ask what did you do in the year between this interview and your last one, you don't want to say that you did nothing. Maybe look for some research thing. Or travel the world in a hot air balloon or submarine. Or become a teacher. But do something interesting.

Okay, sorry to get on a a soapbox and make a long spam filled post. Just trying to help people who are in a similar situation to the one I was in a couple years ago, trying to be a nice guy. I also tend to type kind of "stream of consciousness" with no proofreading or editing so stuff might not flow in a logical manner. But honestly I have GI physiology to worry about so making sense on this forum isn't my chief concern; rather chief cells are ironically my chief concern right now. Parietal cells are cool too.

As always, pm me questions or whatever... or just post them here if they aren't too personal, can help others, and you are an altruistic person who should probably get into med school anyway. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've been seeing a lot of rejections/waitlists/etc. on this forum lately.

I just want to dispel some of the potential doom and gloom, because despite euphemisms like "we love you and you'll be a great doctor somewhere but not here" I know getting rejected sucks. I didn't get into med school my first application cycle. My 2nd time around I did. I'm now glad of it because had I gotten in my first time around, TCMC wouldn't have been an option for me, just a dream of some people in some city named Scranton without a medical school. Or maybe not a dream but a 1000 page proposal or a blueprint or something. I guess read the Dean's Blog from 2 years ago if it really matters to you.

With that said, being on a wait list probably isn't the best time to kick up your feet and wait. Likewise right after being rejected isn't the time to take another job if you REALLY want to be a doctor.

What I'd suggest is start thinking about plan B, because there's only so much time. Consider masters programs, which is what I did in my off year.

TCMC has a masters in biomedical science. If you really want to come here you still might be able to if you apply to TCMC's MBS program. Granted you won't get a white coat for a year, but you'll be one step closer to your dreams, plus have a lot more brain cells full of knowledge about biochemistry or whatever.

Also other schools have similar things. I'd recommend applying to Georgetown or University of Cincinnati masters of physiology programs too because who knows if you'll get into TCMC's MBS thing.

Even if these programs don't interest you, think of something to do. If you get an interview next year and they ask what did you do in the year between this interview and your last one, you don't want to say that you did nothing. Maybe look for some research thing. Or travel the world in a hot air balloon or submarine. Or become a teacher. But do something interesting.

Okay, sorry to get on a a soapbox and make a long spam filled post. Just trying to help people who are in a similar situation to the one I was in a couple years ago, trying to be a nice guy. I also tend to type kind of "stream of consciousness" with no proofreading or editing so stuff might not flow in a logical manner. But honestly I have GI physiology to worry about so making sense on this forum isn't my chief concern; rather chief cells are ironically my chief concern right now. Parietal cells are cool too.

As always, pm me questions or whatever... or just post them here if they aren't too personal, can help others, and you are an altruistic person who should probably get into med school anyway. Good luck!

thanks, Elwayfan...i really appreciate you going through all of this with us!

what do you suggest for people on the waitlist to do, maybe to help increase their odds of maybe coming off of the waitlist? i know someone had said about taking the MCATs again before the may 15th deadline...or would a LOI help? do you know if there was much movement off of the waitlist last year for your classmates? this is my second waitlist this application cycle, and i'm at a loss on what to do until may 15th. any advice would be wonderful! :)

hey everyone,

Sorry to see the recent flux of bad news :thumbdown:

Did everyone who received a status update recently interview in late Jan.? I interviewed last Friday, and the admissions office said the committee will meet on 2/18. So, if the committee gets to my application on the 18th how long will it take for decision to be made? (just trying to get a feel for when I should be notified)

As an aside question(s): how did everyone "feel" after they left their interview? Were you surprised by the decision? I got the feeling (via interviewers) the school is looking for individuals with notable research experience, but that's just me.

Best of luck to those who are still interviewing, and for those who are waitlisted/waiting to hear back keep your head up

Interview invite on April 7. It's kinda late, so depending how other things go this month I may end up withdrawing...I'll make sure to post if I do.

There was actually one earlier interview date and time: Today at 1:00 pm. If I had a private jet in my backyard I totally would've went. Otherwise, physically impossible lol. I assume someone pulled out last minute, so I'll make sure to give several weeks of advanced notice if I withdraw. Still a big if right now, though.

A number of questions you all have asked are slowly being answered thanks to TCMCs postings. I have had the answers to some of them thanks to my child being in the MBS program, but they are answers I prefer the college to announce. Being accepted in the MBS program may be a +/- (the jury is still out at this stage). I would continue to keep an eye on this forum, if you have questions about whether or not the MBS program is a good idea. If they do an MD-MHA program, I also have some advice about that, depending on how they approach it. I will keep you informed once we are 100% sure about what they are going to do for the MBS students. I wouldn't read anything into my posting yet, as we are still awaiting if they are going to correct certain issues regarding how they handle the MBS program. If they do it right, then the future will be really bright for a lot of you if you get into their MBS program.

Hi ElwayFan,

How do you recommend thanking our interviewers? Is it best to send an e-mail or to write a thank you card, and where would we address the card? I was hoping to send an e-mail since we were told the committee meets on Tuesday and I wanted my interviewer to see it before then if perhaps he may also be on the committee.

Thanks for your help.

My interview was January 8th and I recieved my acceptance on January 21st. I'm from the Scranton area so if anyone has specific questions about it I can answer, too =)

I interviewed late two weeks ago and got accepted via email last week! I'm so excited I LOVED the school. I'll be sending my deposit tomorrow :) Good Luck Everyone!:D

Congrats, PerfectPearl.

I wonder if they'll get through all the 2/12 interviewees this Tuesday (they said they were meeting tomorrow)?

^ I thought the committee meets every other Thursday? It would be nice - given good news - if they meet tomorrow! Good luck

I don't remember which day of the week they meet, but I got my acceptance on Thursday of last week.

FYI: They said the adcom would meet today and then by Thurs or Fri, after Dr. D'Alessandri signs off on the decisions, they'd get back to us ASAP.

But, since they devote a lot of time to each applicant, sometimes they don't get through each person's file and that person would get held over to the next meeting.

alternate list :/

I didn't check my status until today, but they said it was posted online on 2/11 (interviewed on 1/29)

alternate list :/

I didn't check my status until today, but they said it was posted online on 2/11 (interviewed on 1/29)

you didnt receive an email from them? i thought they email everyone regardless of the final decision.

you didnt receive an email from them? i thought they email everyone regardless of the final decision.

No, I didn't get an email from them, atleast not in my regular inbox. It could have gone to spam, though I usually give them a quick glance before actually clearing it.

Granted, my interview invite went to my spam folder, so maybe this one did too. What did the email say (is it worth contacting them about it)?

No, I didn't get an email from them, atleast not in my regular inbox. It could have gone to spam, though I usually give them a quick glance before actually clearing it.

Granted, my interview invite went to my spam folder, so maybe this one did too. What did the email say (is it worth contacting them about it)?

This is what mine said:

Thank you for interviewing with faculty and staff members at The Commonwealth Medical College. TCMC has received a tremendous number of applications for the Class of 2014. As such, we are unable to offer a position to many highly qualified candidates. Our admissions committee has reviewed your file favorably and recommends placement on our waitlist.

TCMC will not rank waitlisted candidates until May 15th. We will contact you as soon as we are able to offer a spot in the Class of 2014. We respectfully request that you advise us of your intention to remain on our waitlist. You may send an email to our admissions office at [email protected].

Thank you for applying to The Commonwealth Medical College and we hope to be in contact soon.

Sincerely,

Debra E. Stalk, MPH
Director of Admissions
The Commonwealth Medical College

i was placed on the AL on 2/11, as well, and i haven't received that email either...i was going to wait it out for this week and then contact them if i haven't heard anything by this friday

I don't know if everyone's seen this yet, but there's a cool article in the NY Times heavily mentioning TCMC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/education/15medschools.html?em

Most e-mailed this week! Woo! :)

I saw this too - and have been reading through some of the comments. I think the article wrongly portrayed TCMC as a school that only accepts under-qualified students who couldn't get into any other school. I have friends with 4.0s and 35 MCATS from top 20 undergraduate institutions who aren't getting in anywhere either, and it's annoying to see that people (who clearly haven't been through the process) still believe the whole system is based strictly on numbers. If that were true, then I guess NYMC is a sup-par institution too, since they accepted Mr. Allen as well... :confused:

This process is such a crapshoot - and I count my blessings every day that TCMC accepted me...

has anyone from 2/12 heard yet today? If the committee met Tuesday, we'd probably hear today or tomorrow right, otherwise it'd be another 2 weeks right?

has anyone from 2/12 heard yet today? If the committee met Tuesday, we'd probably hear today or tomorrow right, otherwise it'd be another 2 weeks right?

no, it doesn't work that fast :) the committee met yesterday, they sent results to the dean. dean needs to approve. we should know by the end of the week (hopefully) or early nxt week.

Ok, a couple things. As for thanking people... I have no idea if that influences your odds at all. If you get in the thank you note after the admissions committee meets in means absolutely nothing. If you like... say... get a thank you email out the next day, it might help. Might not.

That said, it's probably nice to thank people regardless. So it can't hurt I guess.

Waitlist movement? I know quite a few people emailed me about trading regional campuses with them like a couple days prior to school starting because they just got pulled off the waitlist. So until orientation starts you've got a shot. Also, it might move more this year due to the fact that scholarships are less likely. Then again, I'm pretty sure we'll have federal loans next year so that might encourage people to not give up their seat here. I really don't know the numbers, but good luck all.

Okay, now I'm going to rant. I guess studying a lot brings out the grumpy side of me. Stop reading my post now if you don't want to hear it.

(Begin rant)

This is purely my opinion - it probably doesn't reflect the school's or many of the interviewers' opinions:
As for that article in the New York Times... grrr... putting an individual's GPA out there for the world to see is bad journalism in my opinion. They should have put the schools averages even if the guy they interviewed had a 4.0. Educational information is protected by FERPA in a similar way that health information is protected by HIPPAA.

Pretend I'm a doctor and am asked to do an interview on AIDS for a newspaper. They want to ask me a statistic about AIDS. I say "Mr. _(insert real name here)_ came to my office last week and got an AIDS test back positive." Can you imagine how much trouble I'd get in? I'd be a ton more responsible if I said "I think about 35 million people worldwide have AIDS." The same is true with people's GPA's in my opinion. Instead of saying Mr. Allen had a 3.3, they should have said TCMC averages a 3.5.

They also didn't mention that that Peter Allen was an engineering major or something that sounded really hard. I forget exactly, but I doubt I could pull a 3.3 in that because it was something weird.

They also butchered the scholarship thing with what seems to me to be a half truth. They made it sound like TCMC was cutting tuition for the charter class, possibly with federal/stimulus aid. The school's still getting full tuition, but thanks to generous people in the community who support the school less than half is coming from my pocket. It might seem like a minor semantic, but I really appreciate what two local doctors (my scholarship sponsors) are doing for me. Eighty thousand bucks must be a huge sacrifice for them. Meanwhile, I am a lot less in debt and can pick a specialty some day based on things besides the specialty's compensation. I'm not trying to take credit form the school, as it helped too through fundraising and stuff, but still... I don't like how the times worded it. Give credit where credit is due.

The only positive thing about the article (in my opinion) was Dr. D'Alessandri's quote at the end, which I think can apply to many journalists as well as lawyers. At least they got Dr. D's name right unlike Jen's.

I think I'm only ever going to watch Fox News Channel from now on.

Here's a link to a media outlet I liked more that might help you with your interviews. It might border on propaganda for the school but hey, you want to make it sound like you want to come here during your interview, right?
http://www.senator-mellow.com/2009Releases/December2009show/PAvideosDecember2009.htm

(End rant)

You've gotta love internet anonymity.

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing. The guys at TCMC are doing a fundraiser for Haiti. It's similar to a walk-a-thon or whatever where people sponsor you to do something (like walk)... only instead of walking we're growing mustaches.

We're keeping them until our girlfriends hate them enough that they give money to Haiti to make us shave them basically.

So if you walk into your interview and everyone at TCMC seems to have facial hair that's the reason. It's not super cool to grow a mustache in Scranton or anything.

This only applies to you guys interviewing on Friday or whatever. Just thought I'd give you a heads up so it didn't catch you off guard. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.