2009-2010 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused about this too - especially because my committee letter shows received on the day I got my secondary, but my two individual letters still show not received. I called admissions and they confirmed that it just takes a few weeks to process, so I guess I'll hang tight, but it's a little strange.

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. 4 out of 5 of my letters show that they've been received but my 5th one is still not in. I figured I'd wait to freak out about it until I'm ready to submit my secondary, hopefully by then the 5th one will be up there. So question: I already wrote about my most significant clinical experience in my PS and on my AMCAS activities section. I don't want to just repeat things from those places, but I'm running out of ways to talk about the same experience over and over again. Anyone have this same problem? All this repeat is boring me and I don't want to bore the ADCOMs :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. 4 out of 5 of my letters show that they've been received but my 5th one is still not in. I figured I'd wait to freak out about it until I'm ready to submit my secondary, hopefully by then the 5th one will be up there. So question: I already wrote about my most significant clinical experience in my PS and on my AMCAS activities section. I don't want to just repeat things from those places, but I'm running out of ways to talk about the same experience over and over again. Anyone have this same problem? All this repeat is boring me and I don't want to bore the ADCOMs :sleep:
this entire 2ndary process is nothing but repeating yourself...i just got used to it.

4 out of 5 of my letters show that they've been received but my 5th one is still not in. I figured I'd wait to freak out about it until I'm ready to submit my secondary, hopefully by then the 5th one will be up there.

I waited for a couple weeks with the status page showing that 1 of my 3 letters had not been received. The funny thing was that all 3 of my referees' names had been updated on the status page. Ex. Dr. X PHD, DR. Y PHARMD. I did not provide this info on the secondary, nor on the AMCAS app. So I finally decided to call them on Friday. After explaining why I think they actually had received all my letters and begging them to check, the lady gave in and took a look at my file. She found that all my letters really were received and she had no clue as to why the status page had not reflected this. She said that their system is not perfect and there are still problems. My biggest regret is not calling sooner. If you have a similar problem I highly suggest taking a look at your reference names on the status page and see if they're updated....or give them a call. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
so i also got the snail mail saying that they got my secondary and on the status website it says they have my LORs, but my status is "certified" and nowhere does it actually say my application is "complete"... has anyone actually heard that their app is complete?

They told me on the phone that they don't send anything out. As long as the status page says you are certified and everything has been received, then you are complete.

So is anyone talking about something completely unrelated to medicine for the second essay prompt about most satisfying community service experience. I could talk about hospital volunteering, but I'd rather talk about another experience outside of medicine. You think that is fine? I mean, the first essay is strictly about medicine, so I figure it would be fine to use that space to talk about something else. Right?

So is anyone talking about something completely unrelated to medicine for the second essay prompt about most satisfying community service experience. I could talk about hospital volunteering, but I'd rather talk about another experience outside of medicine. You think that is fine? I mean, the first essay is strictly about medicine, so I figure it would be fine to use that space to talk about something else. Right?
Yup, I did so anyway :)

i am talking about habitat for humanity.

also does anyone think it is fair to assume that the adcoms are not going to read all of your activity descriptions that are on the amcas? Maybe the one dude that is assigned to your file, but I feel like repeating wording from there onto the secondary isn't a big deal. thoughts?

Just wanted to bump the maryland thread, hopefully we will start hearing something soon. I received confirmation of my in state status over the weekend. I always freak out whenever I see mail from maryland :). I am really hoping for an interview by Gods' grace.

Just wanted to bump the maryland thread, hopefully we will start hearing something soon. I received confirmation of my in state status over the weekend. I always freak out whenever I see mail from maryland :). I am really hoping for an interview by Gods' grace.

did you get a letter in the mail or was it an email? i am still waiting to hear about confirming my instate status.

So...it's been 3 weeks. My letters were sent electronically through AMCAS in the beginning of July, and I completed my application sometime mid-end of July... but my letters are not showing up as "received". I hate to be a pest, but should I e-mail them and ask them to check? Or better yet, should I call? I really don't want to be a pest.

So...it's been 3 weeks. My letters were sent electronically through AMCAS in the beginning of July, and I completed my application sometime mid-end of July... but my letters are not showing up as "received". I hate to be a pest, but should I e-mail them and ask them to check? Or better yet, should I call? I really don't want to be a pest.

Well, I can't say for sure but 4/5 of my letters were already received by the time I got the secondary and I assigned them to AMCAS before I submitted my primary. someone on SDN advised me to call about the one that wasn't showing up (thank you so much by the way) and so I did call. The lady that answered was super nice, checked it for me while she was on the phone with me, and marked it for download. It showed up as received the next day. So I would suggest calling and asking, because they will at least let you know what's going on. Good luck with your app!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I can't say for sure but 4/5 of my letters were already received by the time I got the secondary and I assigned them to AMCAS before I submitted my primary. someone on SDN advised me to call about the one that wasn't showing up (thank you so much by the way) and so I did call. The lady that answered was super nice, checked it for me while she was on the phone with me, and marked it for download. It showed up as received the next day. So I would suggest calling and asking, because they will at least let you know what's going on. Good luck with your app!

I just called and the woman that picked up was not as helpful. I sent my letters through AAMCAS over a month ago and none of them have been received yet. I asked her when I should start getting worried about the letters and she said as the secondary deadline of January approaches!! I wrote my essays early for nothing? She also said that maryland admissions is not rolling... is this true? Nevertheless, I'm sure their interview invites are on a rolling basis. fml

I just called and the woman that picked up was not as helpful. I sent my letters through AAMCAS over a month ago and none of them have been received yet. I asked her when I should start getting worried about the letters and she said as the secondary deadline of January approaches!! I wrote my essays early for nothing? She also said that maryland admissions is not rolling... is this true? Nevertheless, I'm sure their interview invites are on a rolling basis. fml

When were you verified and when did you receive the secondary? It's just possible that if you were verified some time after I was that it's taking them longer to download everyone's letters as they receive more applications. Plus I didn't get the secondary until about a week and a half after I was verified so that gave them some extra time to have (most) of mine downloaded. Hope that helps, I'm sorry you're having trouble with this :(

so the secondary says: If you are submitting a Pre-Medical Committee Letter or a Pre-Medical Advisor's Letter, DO NOT list the names of each individual writing a letter that is included in the packet. Under 'Letter Type' select 'Pre-Med Committee Letter' and the 'Writer Name' and 'Subject' will automatically fill in. Then click the green '+'.

My school uses a letter service so my letters will arrive as a packet of letters. Does this mean I have to list my recommenders individually? Or since the Pre-Medical Advisor is the one sending the letter can I choose this option? Anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated.

When were you verified and when did you receive the secondary? It's just possible that if you were verified some time after I was that it's taking them longer to download everyone's letters as they receive more applications. Plus I didn't get the secondary until about a week and a half after I was verified so that gave them some extra time to have (most) of mine downloaded. Hope that helps, I'm sorry you're having trouble with this :(

I submitted AMCAS on 6/2 and was verified 6/4. I got the Maryland supplemental on 7/8 and certified it on 7/22. I sent in the recommendations sometime in june (don't really remember when).

@neelson,

Check out my previous posts. Their system sometimes does not mark the letters as received and if you don't push the lady to check, you'll never be marked complete.

@neelson,

Check out my previous posts. Their system sometimes does not mark the letters as received and if you don't push the lady to check, you'll never be marked complete.

yeah i called them because i read your post, guess i'll try again and beg more ;)

*edit* called a second time and got the same answer... i don't know what they're deal is. I sent in the letters in JUNE!!!!

did you get a letter in the mail or was it an email? i am still waiting to hear about confirming my instate status.

I still haven't heard from them yet confirming my in-state status, despite sending it in over two weeks ago.

Did you guys have to wait this long to confirm in-state status?

I still haven't heard from them yet confirming my in-state status, despite sending it in over two weeks ago.

yeah i think it took 2 and a half weeks or so for me

Does anyone know if they consider OOSers (interviews or acceptances) who are not from the neighboring states?

Haha, well you're A LOT closer than I am. I just heard that they give priority to people from MD or from neighboring states for OOS.
lol I hadn't heard that before but I would think they would treat all OOS the same

anyhoo, best of luck to the both of us :)

I sent my in-state form a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything as well...:confused:

Hey everyone,
So I'm just about ready to submit my secondary, and I was wondering for the work section do they want all the jobs you've ever had or just the ones you had in college? I've been working at various jobs since the age of 13 so it might be a really long list if I have to put them all. Thanks!

Last edited:
lol I hadn't heard that before but I would think they would treat all OOS the same

anyhoo, best of luck to the both of us :)

I've also heard this is true. I went to college in Maryland but am an OOS resident and I knew many OOSers from my school that got into Maryland with lower stats because they favor them

i combed through this thread, but i'm still unsure about the independent research question. i conducted research indepedently though under a professor. i mostly worked with cell colonies, transformation, and dna isolation. does that count? if it doesn't? should i consider not even sending in a secondary since most other applicants will have indepdent research exp?

i combed through this thread, but i'm still unsure about the independent research question. i conducted research indepedently though under a professor. i mostly worked with cell colonies, transformation, and dna isolation. does that count? if it doesn't? should i consider not even sending in a secondary since most other applicants will have indepdent research exp?

Hmm...it sounds like you probably worked on a legitimate research project so I think you can use it, but it also sounds like you need to get more information about exactly what that project was. Yes, you did all the actual work for the project but what was the project's overall goal? What hypothesis were you testing and what led you to think it was important enough to do a project on it? What was the project's purpose? Just saying WHAT you did is not at all enough, you need to say WHY and talk about the details BEHIND the actual transformations, etc. Perhaps read some published papers on the subject to increase your overall knowledge and talk to someone in your lab group for help. Good luck :luck:

To those who have received instate conformation... does it come up in your "optional items" section of your status menu? Or did you only receive the snail mail conformation?

To those who have received instate conformation... does it come up in your "optional items" section of your status menu? Or did you only receive the snail mail conformation?

I received mine about a week ago. I just checked my status page and it does not reflect it there or in the optional section.

Prompts

If you are a recent graduate (2009), please indicate what you plan to do during the coming year. (1000 character limit)

What if you are a graduate of 2008. Should I answer this question. I know it sounds dumb to ask, but just wanted to make sure because I want to discuss what I have been doing since 2008 too

What if you are a graduate of 2008. Should I answer this question. I know it sounds dumb to ask, but just wanted to make sure because I want to discuss what I have been doing since 2008 too

I'm a 08 grad as well. For that question you should not answer it because it specifically says 2009 in parentheses. However, for the question about being in school continuously I said no and then it lets you explain what you've done since graduation. I just said I was in school continuously until graduating college in 08 and then talked about what I've done since and what I'll be doing while I apply this year. Hope this helps and good luck!

I just submitted my secondary like 10 minutes ago! This is my top choice so I'm crossing my fingers.

i submitted my in-state classification form 3 and a half weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. Anyone else been waiting this long?

i submitted my in-state classification form 3 and a half weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. Anyone else been waiting this long?

Me too. I have called a couple times too, and all that they could tell me was they had received it. It has to go through the office of records and registration office, so maybe that is why it is taking so long.

Me too. I have called a couple times too, and all that they could tell me was they had received it. It has to go through the office of records and registration office, so maybe that is why it is taking so long.

It took me three weeks from the time I sent it in to the time I received confirmation via snail mail, so just wait it out.

I sent mine back in early July, too...

Why does this school not honor the fee waiver. I wish I've known before. It's like the only school that I've come across that does not.

Any interview invites or new from here yet? I thought they already sent out invites around this time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.