2009-2010 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to you guys who just got interview invites, congrats! when were you all complete?

Members don't see this ad.

No invite yet and I'm starting to wonder if I actually got my application in too early. My stats are good, but not great (32S, 3.83 GPA) so I think I've probably been placed on hold for later review. I'm going to try sending them a letter to see if it brings me back up from the bottom of the stack, so we'll see I guess.

Invite scheduled for 11/11. I'm OOS....

Does it seem like OOS people are getting scheduled later?
I got an interview last cycle for early October. Unless their policy has changed, I don't think your OOS is a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
just in case if anyone else was wondering this, whether or not you send in the in state classification form has no bearing on when the application will get reviewed. (I just asked the maryland admissions today)

to you guys who just got interview invites, congrats! when were you all complete?

I submitted my secondary September 7th, I got a letter saying they had begun to process my secondary on September 9th, they finally received my last letter September 16th and then I got an interview invite September 22nd for October 21st. So all in all they were really quick with my application.

I wouldn't worry too much, but here is what I would do...and I'm speaking more from general experience as opposed to specific experience with Maryland since all my letters are in and I had no problems. Anyway, I would call them again and state something along the lines of "I understand that you are incredibly busy and receive many applications and are most likely in the processing stage as we speak. However, my letters have been available for quite some time and as such I want to make sure that there is not a problem with a letter that I can or need to fix. This is incredibly important as I do not want to have my application delayed for something I could change. If you could just take a few moments and access my file, I'd greatly appreciate it." This way, you put a bit more of the onus on yourself as you are asking if there is something wrong with what you have done as opposed to placing the blame on them and even giving them an out by saying you understand how busy they are processing the materials. However, I would be adamant about not getting off the phone until I have an answer (without being a pain obviously). Good luck.

Hi, thank you so much for the advice. I managed to get my application complete and I thought I would post what I did that I found to be much more effective. I basically ran to my pre-professional office which is where they deal with med applicants at my school. And fortunately my pre-med adviser called the head of admission office at UMD for me and got them to get off their butt and check my application for me. Soon after that I found out that they downloaded their application. I think having pre-med officers call the admission office has more influence than me calling.

Hey to all you guys who have already had interviews or are about to have them soon would you mind posting how it went in the interview feedback section http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview-feedback/ I am interested to see how the interviews are going this round, I am sure they havent changed much if at all from previous years but it would still be nice to know

Myself and I'm sure others would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Invite scheduled for 11/11. I'm OOS....

Does it seem like OOS people are getting scheduled later?

I just got an interview invite today... IS... my interview date isn't till the second week in december though. Seems pretty late, but I am happy to get one.

Interview invite today as well! So so so excited. The interview is scheduled on December 2nd, but I think I'm going to reschedule so I can go after I take all of my finals. I wonder if delaying the interview is going to hurt my chance...any takers?

Interview Invite on 9/25! Complete 9/11

Last edited:
Hi guys! Just got an invite for MD/MPH program! Complete 08/04!

Im abroad and having trouble with scheduling. Does anyone know whether Maryland is rolling admissions?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, anyone hear about any interview invites recently? if so, when were you guys complete?

this wait is killlllinngg me, i want to go to maryland so badly!

Yessss Interview Invite :)
Maryland born and bred
Msg me if I can help anyone

Yessss Interview Invite :)
Maryland born and bred
Msg me if I can help anyone

When were you complete? And what are your stats if you don't mind sharing? I am in state as well so very curious and hoping to get an invite soon

AHHHH! Why am I a freshman? I wish I was a senior so I could partake in all this EXCITEMENT (and misery :)).

I'd love to go to UMaryland :love:, but I'd be an OOS applicant. Will this hurt my chances of admission?

AHHHH! Why am I a freshman? I wish I was a senior so I could partake in all this EXCITEMENT (and misery :)).

I'd love to go to UMaryland :love:, but I'd be an OOS applicant. Will this hurt my chances of admission?

Yes it will, they have a strong in-state bias. do you have any strong connections to the state? if so, that could help.

Yes it will, they have a strong in-state bias. do you have any strong connections to the state? if so, that could help.

Strong connections to the state help, but so does geographical proximity.

If you're from one of the "surrounding" states (PA/VA/NJ/DE) there tends to be a bit of a preference (at least to, say, someone from Idaho).

A few years ago at my interview lunch, they asked us all "ok, who here's out of state?" Several of us raised our hands (about half), and we were all asked which states. Most of us were VA or PA, and she replied "no, I mean actually out of state, like from somewhere out west or something." Certainly Maryland residents have the upper hand, but being from a neighboring state isn't quite as damning as you might originally think.

Edit: I see you're from Atlanta, so I guess you really are "OOS."

sigh, i think i'm beginning to give up hope since I was complete 8/11 and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know when Maryland starts sending out rejections?

Last edited:
I'm getting really frustrated with UMD. I sent in my stuff over a month ago 9/11 - and they still haven't downloaded my committee letter, so I'm not complete. How long should this take??

I called them, and the woman was not very happy to talk to me - and said they were asking all applicants to "exercise some patience" and they'd get to it when they get to it. But honestly - this is getting kind of ridiculous...

I started this poll so that applicants have some idea for "interview invitation trend" You are Maryland resident with LizzyM score 63. currently per poll, one person below LizzyM 65 was invited for interview. If more people participate in poll, it will help waiting applicants. Wait for couple of days. Once sample size is more than 30, you can easily, predict the trend.
Good luck

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671996

sigh, i think i'm beginning to give up hope since I was complete 8/11 and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know when Maryland starts sending out rejections?

I'm getting really frustrated with UMD. I sent in my stuff over a month ago 9/11 - and they still haven't downloaded my committee letter, so I'm not complete. How long should this take??

I called them, and the woman was not very happy to talk to me - and said they were asking all applicants to "exercise some patience" and they'd get to it when they get to it. But honestly - this is getting kind of ridiculous...

My committee letters were sent around then too and UMD finally downloaded them last week. It was very frustrating and each time I called they were definitely not friendly, so you are not alone. One woman actually did take the time to access my file and she said they had received my letters they just haden't been printed and placed in my file yet and that may actually happen before its reflected on my status page.

just got the hold notice from them via email
i was complete late august, oos

has anyone been rejected?? my impression from the email is that they put a lot of people on hold.

Im on hold OOS (RI) submitted sometime in early august

has anyone been rejected?? my impression from the email is that they put a lot of people on hold.
yah it seems not too many get rejected, thats at least how it sounds. I got the hold today to ah well.

Same ova here. Just got the hold email. I am somewhat disappointed as this is one of my top schools but I haven't lost hope yet :). Now I have to think of what to send in as a follow up. The news is a little easier to swallow being that I have 8 interviews thus far and 1 acceptance, so I just have to see how this goes.

Yeah I'm on hold too, does anyone know if applicants actually get taken off the hold list or if this is just a long-drawn-out rejection?

I can't believe, MCAT 41 and In state is on hold !!! They just punished little low GPa of 3.25. Do they have some screening criteria?

On hold as well.
Complete 9/17, IS

I think they are inviting the stronger candidates first. I hear ya, my GPA is about a 3.91, but my MCAT best is a 26. 8,7,11. Took it three times. If you take my best its a 29. 9,9,11.

MCAT and GPA are important, but I hope they look past my MCAT score and look at my other strong qualities too.

Don't lose hope!

I haven't heard anything from them (including hold email) and I was finalized in late July. I'm a non-trad with 32S and 3.83 GPA as well as in-state so I don't know what I need to do. I guess I'll continue to sit and wait. I have a couple of interviews coming up so hopefully I'll get in soon.

joined the hold club today too. any idea how easy/hard it is to get an interview off pre-interview hold here?

Hold here as well. Complete mid-August, OOS. Sigh.

The early poll results show that University of Maryland is inviting for interview for LizzyM score higher than 70 (76% cases).

If you got interview invitation and not voted on Poll, please do so.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671996

Thanks.

So, I kind of have two LizzyM scores. My first year of undergrad was pretty dreadful due to multiple hospitalizations so my total GPA is 3.5. However, my GPA after my first year is 3.83. When combined with my 32S MCAT, I have a LizzyM of 67 and 70.3. I'm in-state and have been complete since late August. However, I'm also a non-trad so that could be held against me. I'm not sure how Maryland currently looks at non-trads, but I was told (and I am not sure if this is accurate) that they looked less kindly upon non-trads than traditional students several years ago. So, I may or may not be a good indicator.

Your total GPA counts (Not GPA after first year) hence your LizzyM score is 67. Probably, you should be in during second round. I am not sure about policy about traditional v/s non-traditional.

So, I kind of have two LizzyM scores. My first year of undergrad was pretty dreadful due to multiple hospitalizations so my total GPA is 3.5. However, my GPA after my first year is 3.83. When combined with my 32S MCAT, I have a LizzyM of 67 and 70.3. I'm in-state and have been complete since late August. However, I'm also a non-trad so that could be held against me. I'm not sure how Maryland currently looks at non-trads, but I was told (and I am not sure if this is accurate) that they looked less kindly upon non-trads than traditional students several years ago. So, I may or may not be a good indicator.

Hey guys, I got an interview invite about a week ago for January 6th. I'm OOS with no connections, LizzyM of 69.5. Isn't that a little late already though? Are they already backed up that far?

Hey guys, I got an interview invite about a week ago for January 6th. I'm OOS with no connections, LizzyM of 69.5. Isn't that a little late already though? Are they already backed up that far?

I just received an invite today for January 27th. It's obviously not in the first go around, but I know several people who interviewed in January and were accepted pretty much immediately and I know people who interviewed earlier (Sept - Nov) and were put on the waiting list and accepted later. So, I don't think it's too late, but if anyone else has any input it would be very welcome. Thank you Maryland! BTW, and even though I put this on pretty much every post, I'm in-state, non-trad, 32S. Congrats on the interview invite!

I got an interview invite this morning. Instate. Mine isn't until February

Status
Not open for further replies.