2021-2022 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, could someone possibly talk about AOA and UTSW? I thought the classes are p/f but there seems to be a GPA requirement for the AOA. Could anyone comment about the student culture at UTSW in terms of competitiveness? I have heard it can be pretty gunner-like...

@wysdoc would it be ok if I PMed you a few questions? Also if there are any current students who might be open to answering my questions that would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, could someone possibly talk about AOA and UTSW? I thought the classes are p/f but there seems to be a GPA requirement for the AOA. Could anyone comment about the student culture at UTSW in terms of competitiveness? I have heard it can be pretty gunner-like...

@wysdoc would it be ok if I PMed you a few questions? Also if there are any current students who might be open to answering my questions that would be amazing!
A current student offered to answer questions here: #206

You can PM me but for questions on class culture/gunnerishness your better source will be a current student.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I have some questions related to Texas Medical Schools rankings and school matches.

As far as you know, is UTSW heavy on the pre-match process? I meant if UTSW gives most of their offers during the pre-match process.
I know UT San Antonio is kind of light on pre-match. They give most of the offers on match day, right?

And when a TX Medical school gives an offer on match day, I am wondering if they give the offer based on school ranges they have, instead of specifying it as an offer. For example, the school could say any students with ranking before 200, it is considered as an offer, and it is first come first serve, till all available spots are filled. right?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am looking for some information related to Texas Medical Schools rankings and school matches. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions related to Texas Medical Schools rankings and school matches.

As far as you know, is UTSW heavy on the pre-match process? I meant if UTSW gives most of their offers during the pre-match process.
I know UT San Antonio is kind of light on pre-match. They give most of the offers on match day, right?
And when a TX Medical school gives an offer on match day, I am wondering if they give the offer based on school ranges they have, instead of specifying it as an offer. For example, the school could say any students with ranking before 200, it is considered as an offer, and it is first come first serve, till all available spots are filled. right?

At this point I haven't received any pre-match offer from Texas Medical school yet, I am wondering if I rank UT San Antonio as my third choice, UTSW is my second choice, could I potentially lose my spot at UT San Antonio ? Because if others rank UT San Antonio as top or second choice, they could occupy all available spots at UT San Antonio based on first come first serve, right?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am looking for some information related to Texas Medical Schools rankings and school matches. Thanks.
The TMDSAS Match algorithm will sort out the rankings of the students in conjunction with the rankings of the schools of students they interviewed. Even if UTSW (for example) gave out a lot of prematch offers, the people they offered those to might rank a different school higher.

Don't second guess yourself with your rankings, put the school you like best at #1.

How do you think having Baylor in the TMDSAS match this year impact UTSW prematch outcomes?

I noticed not everyone who interviewed at both were admitted to Baylor (Not that the reverse is not true but I havent come across -admitted to baylor but not UTSW). So it depends on who rates which school higher and gets admitted during match.

I would expect UTSW to open up a dozen or more seats during match process. This is just guessing since it is the first year of both schools being in the match and I believe UTSW followed standard process (followed whatever they did in previous years of admitting students they wanted) while Baylor admitted students in much smaller numbers in prematch because they are new to match process.

texasvandy's observation makes sense because UTSW prematched almost 3x as much as Baylor, aka Baylor ended up not being prematch heavy. With numbers, UTSW prematched 341 people compared to Baylor's ~120. My prediction is that UTSW will not have many people getting in through the actual match, but instead through WL movement later on as UTSW-matched students choose OOS schools. For Baylor, a good chunk of people will match into Baylor and we'll see even more WL movement as Baylor-matched students choose OOS schools too.

On a somewhat related note, this cycle seemed pretty competitive. This year, UTSW received 400 more applications than last year (5456 -> 5885), yet interviewed 100 less people (823 -> 720).

Reactions: 1 users
texasvandy's observation makes sense because UTSW prematched almost 3x as much as Baylor, aka Baylor ended up not being prematch heavy. With numbers, UTSW prematched 341 people compared to Baylor's ~120. My prediction is that UTSW will not have many people getting in through the actual match, but instead through WL movement later on as UTSW-matched students choose OOS schools. For Baylor, a good chunk of people will match into Baylor and we'll see even more WL movement as Baylor-matched students choose OOS schools too.

On a somewhat related note, this cycle seemed pretty competitive. This year, UTSW received 400 more applications than last year (5456 -> 5885), yet interviewed 100 less people (823 -> 720).
I’m just going to comment that speculation is fun, but that SDN posters are a non-scientific sampling of TMDSAS applicants and that since Baylor just joined TMDSAS this year, the “comparisons” of match heavy or not are meaningless.

Last edited:
Hello! Can anyone help with housing? Any tips or for those who have been accepted, how are y’all going about housing at the moment?

Where is the information that UTSW pre-matched 341 people? That sounds a bit high only because that presentation said that the most pre-match offers last year by a school was 170.

Last edited:
Where is the information that UTSW pre-matched 341 people? That sounds a bit high only because that presentation said that the most pre-match offers last year by a school was 170.
Preliminary data was released at an accepted-student event a few weeks ago. As of Jan 2022, 341 students were offered acceptance. If you take 2020 data, they ultimately accepted 388 people so there's still room for more.

Preliminary data was released at an accepted-student event a few weeks ago. As of Jan 2022, 341 students were offered acceptance. If you take 2020 data, they ultimately accepted 388 people so there's still room for more.
Is there a similar baseline for Baylors's 120 number? That seems awfully low since their class size is 160+ without MD/PhDs and they must have yield considerations to be so low at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I did not receive a match today. UTSW was my number 1 ranked school and due to my quick interview invitation upon secondary completion, I really had high hopes for acceptance. Alas, nothing more to do than to see if I get lucky from movement on the wait list. Congratulations to everyone that got an A, this morning or through pre-match; I wish you all the best!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
does utsw email you that youre on the waitlist?

does anyone know when OOS students will hear back given that match day has already passed?

Just got the official alternate list email

Just received an IS Post-II and Post Match Day R... looks like not everyone is put on UTSW's waitlist after all. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

• Care
Last week I matched to another school that I ranked higher on my match list, but I got a rejection email today from UTSW. I didn't know we could still get Rs from schools that ranked lower than our matched school because I thought we were automatically taken out of consideration! :lol:

Last week I matched to another school that I ranked higher on my match list, but I got a rejection email today from UTSW. I didn't know we could still get Rs from schools that ranked lower than our matched school because I thought we were automatically taken out of consideration! :lol:
Hmm a little unusual but maybe they’re just clearing their files of everyone who won’t be offered a WL spot.
You’re right that it’s automatic by your match rankings though.

+1

Hmm a little unusual but maybe they’re just clearing their files of everyone who won’t be offered a WL spot.
You’re right that it’s automatic by your match rankings though.
Weirdly I got a WL email even tho I also matched at a school I ranked higher than UTSW. I'm assuming I'm not actually on the WL though?

Weirdly I got a WL email even tho I also matched at a school I ranked higher than UTSW. I'm assuming I'm not actually on the WL though?
@nerdyneurons that’s an error, would you please message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them to check into it?

This does happen because you already have an admission and they have you either as admittted or placed on WL and probably have an automated systemic response to clear people off the waitlist.

I have not heard of this from UTSW in the past but I have seen both McGovern and A&M send responses. McGovern always says since you did not rank them high enough they have rejected you (most likely because they did admit someone in the match but the school didnt get ranked) while A&M in the last couple of cycles has sent flat out rejections after the match despite people ranking another school higher and being admitted.

Incredible list - 8 Dermatology, 5 optho, 11 Orthopedics, 2 plastics, 4 oral & Maxillofacial, 3 neurosurgery, 7 Urology
It's absolutely crazy. Right off the bat, you see Yale, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, etc for anesthesia. And someone even matched to UCSF for IM.

It's absolutely crazy. Right off the bat, you see Yale, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, etc for anesthesia. And someone even matched to UCSF for IM.
The reverse also true. If you look at UTSW's IM residents, you have to wonder why there are so many top schools represented.

It is also confusing that 21 people are doing anesthesia and many matched to a lot of top programs.

Anyone know how likely it is to get off waitlist and/or if UTSW takes update letters?

I don't think UTSW is accepting any more letters, based off of what they sent in their email:
"There is nothing more you can do to alter, supplement, or improve your application. We have all the pieces necessary to evaluate your application including your academic credentials, letters, and course reports. Should we have any updates on the status of your application we will be in touch with you directly."

Hiii does anyone know the “commit to enroll” deadline for UTSW? I’m an OOS applicant and I’m on a couple of non-TX waitlists, so I was wondering when UTSW requires me to formally withdraw from my waitlists?

Is it just me or is UTSW way quieter than previous years?

Is it just me or is UTSW way quieter than previous years?
a. people aren't sharing their news much :whistle:
b. in prior years a significant # who matched at UTSW would jump ship to Baylor if offered a place: that component of spaces being emptied in the UTSW roster is no longer happening now that Baylor joined the TMDSAS system.

Hiii does anyone know the “commit to enroll” deadline for UTSW? I’m an OOS applicant and I’m on a couple of non-TX waitlists, so I was wondering when UTSW requires me to formally withdraw from my waitlists?
can I ask when you were accepted at UTSW? Their web page and MSAR entry only list April 30 AMCAS guidelines as the date to choose 1 school and withdraw from all others.

can I ask when you were accepted at UTSW? Their web page and MSAR entry only list April 30 AMCAS guidelines as the date to choose 1 school and withdraw from all others.
Hi I was accepted early November as a OOS applicant!

I actually emailed UTSW regarding their policy for CTE and they basically told me that “they have no hard deadline by which applicants must select CTE through the CYNS Tool” (direct quotes) and to simply tell they immediately if I choose to attend a different institution. I’m assuming this applies only to AMCAS schools though since I think TMDSAS has a hard deadline.

a. people aren't sharing their news much :whistle:
b. in prior years a significant # who matched at UTSW would jump ship to Baylor if offered a place: that component of spaces being emptied in the UTSW roster is no longer happening now that Baylor joined the TMDSAS system.
Ohh that bit about Baylor makes a lot of sense... Looks like Baylor had some movement recently so maybe we might start to see some that matched to UTSW get off the WL to Baylor hopefully lol