2021-2022 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it common or uncommon for someone who had an early interview but didn’t hear back on October 15th to get prematched later in the year? Or are the later prematches mainly for later interviews

Members don't see this ad.

is it common or uncommon for someone who had an early interview but didn’t hear back on October 15th to get prematched later in the year? Or are the later prematches mainly for later interviews
Instate or OOS?

OOS has limited slots and so they control how many they hand out and only give more if some OOS drop out along the way.

Medical schools at UTSW level follow certain processes and here is general expectation of how those go.

1. In theory, any person who is interviewed was considered good on paper and could be admitted.

2. They admit people that meet/exceed criteria and impress them during interview [these are people in early rounds for UTSW since they do groupings]

3. They keep a score on the interviewed people and admit so many each time they release acceptances like the next round. So if they expect admit 20 or 30 in 2 to 4 weeks, they might find someone from earlier rounds who scored enough but didnt meet the first round of admissions included in that list or any other list that comes after.

4. Some might keep getting pushed along all the way to the match. This is best chance for people who interviewed but didnt get in during earlier rounds.

5. I expect since Baylor is part of the process now, there may be a lot more movement on match day for both schools since many top students get admitted to both and will make a choice in march.

6. Expect lot fewer people getting admitted in late April early may at either school like last few years because both will have to choose lot more students during match itself when they find slots opened up.

7. Since UTSW does not reject people until June or July, it is very hard to say when you are truly out of contention.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current student at UTSW. Feel free to DM me questions about the school, or feel free to ask them here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instate or OOS?

OOS has limited slots and so they control how many they hand out and only give more if some OOS drop out along the way.

Medical schools at UTSW level follow certain processes and here is general expectation of how those go.

1. In theory, any person who is interviewed was considered good on paper and could be admitted.

2. They admit people that meet/exceed criteria and impress them during interview [these are people in early rounds for UTSW since they do groupings]

3. They keep a score on the interviewed people and admit so many each time they release acceptances like the next round. So if they expect admit 20 or 30 in 2 to 4 weeks, they might find someone from earlier rounds who scored enough but didnt meet the first round of admissions included in that list or any other list that comes after.

4. Some might keep getting pushed along all the way to the match. This is best chance for people who interviewed but didnt get in during earlier rounds.

5. I expect since Baylor is part of the process now, there may be a lot more movement on match day for both schools since many top students get admitted to both and will make a choice in march.

6. Expect lot fewer people getting admitted in late April early may at either school like last few years because both will have to choose lot more students during match itself when they find slots opened up.

7. Since UTSW does not reject people until June or July, it is very hard to say when you are truly out of contention.
Instate applicant. Thank you, this was very helpful. I was honestly surprised to have such an early interview because my stats are below average, but I think my research is what got me through the door. Hoping to hear back from UTSW in November and December!

Hi!! I prematched with a Cost of Attendence Scholarship last Friday as well (10/15)! Instate applicant with an 81 LizzyM score and I interviewed 10/09, if that helps at all!! Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi!! I prematched with a Cost of Attendence Scholarship last Friday as well (10/15)! Instate applicant with an 81 LizzyM score and I interviewed 10/09, if that helps at all!! Good luck to everyone!
that was some turnaround! congratulations.

Instate or OOS?

To clarify, is the trend that UTSW usually sends prematch offers in batches every 2-4 weeks? Thanks for this write up btw, makes a lot of sense.

To clarify, is the trend that UTSW usually sends prematch offers in batches every 2-4 weeks? Thanks for this write up btw, makes a lot of sense.
I believe they may have switched to once a month or so when the interview season got longer during Covid. They were doing 2-3 weeks when the season ended mid january.

Reactions: 1 users
IS II received just now! :) 512 MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA w/ lots of clinical experience

Reactions: 5 users
II received just today! LizzyM 74, complete late July. Earliest dates available were first week of December. Don't lose hope friends!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Speaking anecdotally as a current student, plenty of folks had IIs coming out even in Jan. Y'all just hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So which do we think it will be?
I generally can't predict how any individual school will handle their meetings and information releases, or any future things except when the deadlines are.
Last year's pattern for UTSW was about once a month.

II received just today! LizzyM 72, complete late July. Earliest dates available were first week of December. Don't lose hope friends!!
IS II received just now! :) 512 MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA w/ lots of clinical experience
Do y'all by chance remember the latest date offered? I remember reading they are planning on interview until Mid January on their website.

Accepted OOS! Wow!
Interviewed three weeks ago

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
PREMATCHHHHHHHH
Interviewed 2nd week of October

Last edited:
Prematched!! Interviewed 10/23
Stats: 512/3.92 URM Hispanic

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Any other OOS get in? If I didn't hear back in this wave and interviewed last month, does this mean I'm in limbo until march?

Prematched!!!! Interviewed 10/23
Stats: 509, UGPA 3.4, Masters GPA 4.0, Hispanic
Have really good clinical and research experience

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if receiving an interview follow-up email from UTSW, specifically their Office of Diversity and Inclusion, means anything in regard to my application/chances of getting in? It definitely does not offer an acceptance, but would anyone happen to know if this was just sent to everyone who interviewed?

Does anyone know if receiving an interview follow-up email from UTSW, specifically their Office of Diversity and Inclusion, means anything in regard to my application/chances of getting in? It definitely does not offer an acceptance, but would anyone happen to know if this was just sent to everyone who interviewed?
If you feel you are someone they are reaching out to as a member of a minority, responding as a sign of interest or asking some questions pertaining to your situation will be positive as a sign of interest in their school.

Pretty sure everyone gets it.

If we did not receive a scholarship offer with our prematch acceptance, is it safe to assume we will only receive need-based aid (most likely through loans)?

Does UT Southwestern accept application updates? I didn't find any specific answer on their website. Thanks!

Just prematched!!! at 1pm PST, literally interviewed this past saturday (11/13), IS ORM

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Never thought I'd say this, but prematch! IS, interviewed 10/16

Reactions: 2 users
pre-matched (Friday, 11/19 @ 3:01 PM CST)! interview date November 3rd, IS URM

Pre-matched yesterday!

Still hard to believe.