2021-2022 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, they do not but would take letters of intent after an interview
Hi, thank you for this information. I was hoping you could provide me a little more insight in regards to a letter of intent. Should I upload this to my personal admissions portal or should I attach it to an email to the admissions team? I interviewed 10/16 and have not heard anything back, but it is my clear number 1 choice. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, thank you for this information. I was hoping you could provide me a little more insight in regards to a letter of intent. Should I upload this to my personal admissions portal or should I attach it to an email to the admissions team? I interviewed 10/16 and have not heard anything back, but it is my clear number 1 choice. Thank you in advance.
As you might have seen me say on some other Texas threads, with our Match Day system your intent is stated clearly when you rank a school #1 on your list.
If you have the feeling that a letter of intent might sway the school to accept you, then you may send one to them post-interview. Attach it to an email as a .pdf and also upload it to your portal if there's a place for that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I went ahead and sent UT Southwestern a update letter and I have not interviewed with them yet. They did accept my letter for anyone wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went ahead and sent UT Southwestern a update letter and I have not interviewed with them yet. They did accept my letter for anyone wondering.
Did you email or upload to the portal?

Wow that’s very interesting. I haven’t gotten an interview with them and would love to send them an update but have been advised not to.

Wow that’s very interesting. I haven’t gotten an interview with them and would love to send them an update but have been advised not to.
Yeah this is my top choice and I figured I'd just shoot my shot. 🤷‍♀️ I researched on their website and could not find anywhere that they didn't accept updates.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to get a feel if this was anyone else's experience with their interview... did anyone feel a distinct lack of conversation around actual patient care? I felt like my interviewers were very much focused on asking about health system problems (technology, insurance, etc.) and the student panels/admin presentations talked at length about research and STEP scores. Actual discussion around clinical care training and focus on patient care seemed almost like an after thought?

The last school I interviewed with before UTSW was extremely focused on patient care so I can't tell if UTSW's interview day was par for the course and my other interview experience was an outlier.

I'm trying to get a feel if this was anyone else's experience with their interview... did anyone feel a distinct lack of conversation around actual patient care? I felt like my interviewers were very much focused on asking about health system problems (technology, insurance, etc.) and the student panels/admin presentations talked at length about research and STEP scores. Actual discussion around clinical care training and focus on patient care seemed almost like an after thought?

The last school I interviewed with before UTSW was extremely focused on patient care so I can't tell if UTSW's interview day was par for the course and my other interview experience was an outlier.
the only step score that matters directly connects to patient care. UTSW says they do very well with that STEP.

The way I saw it was that they were playing to their strengths; UTSW is very strong with regards to research, match lists, and step scores compared to most other TX schools. My understanding is that the clinical training you get at medical schools is pretty standardized and not going to vary immensely between UTSW and the other well-established TX schools, so they focused the interview day on what truly sets the school apart.

Reactions: 2 users
The way I saw it was that they were playing to their strengths; UTSW is very strong with regards to research, match lists, and step scores compared to most other TX schools. My understanding is that the clinical training you get at medical schools is pretty standardized and not going to vary immensely between UTSW and the other well-established TX schools, so they focused the interview day on what truly sets the school apart.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Like, of course, they'd want to emphasize research since they're an absolute powerhouse and it does set them apart from other TX schools.

Easy to forget that interviews are a two-way street and the schools are selling themselves (and their strengths) to interviewees as well.

Interviewed last weekend. Any idea when we’ll hear back? UTSW generally does quite a few prematch offers, correct?

Interviewed last weekend. Any idea when we’ll hear back? UTSW generally does quite a few prematch offers, correct?
Historically, UTSW fills the majority of its entry class with pre-match offers. As of 12/8/2021, UTSW has filled about half of its class for EY 2022 (i.e., ~125 students so far have been accepted and plan to matriculate). It seems they send out pre-match waves every 2-3 weeks. The first wave was 10/15/2021, the second wave was 11/1/2021, and the third wave was 11/19/2021. I matched 13 days after interviewing, so you may very well be in the next batch, likely coming up very soon! Best of luck! <3

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any accepted students tried to fill out/submit the rental application form for the MedPark apts yet? I sent mine in a few weeks ago but the letter/deposit was sent right back to me so im wondering if the address is wrong on the website

Have any accepted students tried to fill out/submit the rental application form for the MedPark apts yet? I sent mine in a few weeks ago but the letter/deposit was sent right back to me so im wondering if the address is wrong on the website
I filled it out but didn't have any issues. I haven't heard anything back from them though.

[email protected] <[email protected]>;

UT Southwestern Medical Park Apartments
Leasing Office
6401 Maple Ave.
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: 214-956-9300

This is the address but it needs be approved before you send a deposit. was it approved?

Definitely follow up with the property manager, Mr. Gary Corkill, this is his email: [email protected]. I emailed him asking to confirm if he had received the check and application over mail, and he replied within a day or two.

Prematch at 3:30 CST! Am so elated. IS ORM

Definitely follow up with the property manager, Mr. Gary Corkill, this is his email: [email protected]. I emailed him asking to confirm if he had received the check and application over mail, and he replied within a day or two.
Are yall only doing this apartment stuff if you're sure you will go here? Not sure I'll end up here so wouldn't wanna pay deposits and stuff in that case

Are yall only doing this apartment stuff if you're sure you will go here? Not sure I'll end up here so wouldn't wanna pay deposits and stuff in that case
You have time and these aren't the only apartments in Dallas, so if they fill up you will find something comparable

The apartments are cheapest option available in the area so it is worth requesting if there is a chance to end up here. Since you seem to be interviewing quite a bit you probably end up with a lot of other admissions.

[email protected] <[email protected]>;

UT Southwestern Medical Park Apartments
Leasing Office
6401 Maple Ave.
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: 214-956-9300

This is the address but it needs be approved before you send a deposit. was it approved?

I think the deposit is only $20 too, so it's not anything crazy.

UTSW is my second choice, I have not heard from Baylor yet, so I may or not may end up there. I thought $25 deposit was worth risking, just so I can get on the waitlist for Medpark apartments.

Historically, UTSW fills the majority of its entry class with pre-match offers. As of 12/8/2021, UTSW has filled about half of its class for EY 2022 (i.e., ~125 students so far have been accepted and plan to matriculate). It seems they send out pre-match waves every 2-3 weeks. The first wave was 10/15/2021, the second wave was 11/1/2021, and the third wave was 11/19/2021. I matched 13 days after interviewing, so you may very well be in the next batch, likely coming up very soon! Best of luck! <3
Where are you getting this information? Do you mind checking now how many seats have been filled after the most recent wave?

I know this is just going to be speculation, but based on last year/in general, should we just assume they're done sending II?

I know this is just going to be speculation, but based on last year/in general, should we just assume they're done sending II?
Depends on whether all interview dates are already filled.

There are a few luckyones who can get called due to cancellations even if filled.

Depends on whether all interview dates are already filled.

There are a few luckyones who can get called due to cancellations even if filled.
Dang as a relatively high stat applicant from Dallas without an II … damn it UTSW lol

I got into UTSW 12/13 and interviewed 11/13. What would be the best way to reach out/meet my fellow classmates?

there are usually current students in these groups.

yall think there will be another prematch wave soon in jan?

Just pre-matched with a full ride for all 4 years! I interviewed 1/8!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Prematched as well!
1/8 interview
516 MCAT, 3.75gpa, ORM, nontrad

Just got the R. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Pre II R complete mid September

Pre-interview R today

Will there be another prematch wave in January or is this the last one?