2009-2010 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for those that are waitlisted, i'm dropping off the waitlist due to an acceptance elsewhere. this is a tough one to give up, but i can only attend one med school =(. good luck to you all!! (oos)

Members don't see this ad.

I may explode if I don't hear from UVM soon... I interviewed in mid-Feb!! Come onnn UVM!!!! Did anyone else interview then??

I may explode if I don't hear from UVM soon... I interviewed in mid-Feb!! Come onnn UVM!!!! Did anyone else interview then??

I interviewed in early Feb...was sort of surprised that they didn't have any ad comm meetings that month to make decision on our files. keeping my fingers crossed for all of us who waited this long!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in early Feb...was sort of surprised that they didn't have any ad comm meetings that month to make decision on our files. keeping my fingers crossed for all of us who waited this long!

Adcom meeting tomorrow right? Decisions should be going out over the next several days...at least that's what I remember them saying at my interview the beginning of March.

Adcom meeting was on March 30th and today...we should all be hearing within the next week. Good luck everyone.

Waitlisted OOS as well...was really hoping for an acceptance:( but I guess this is better than a rejection. Do people get rejected post-interview?

Also, anyone have more info about the waitlist? Do they have a separate OOS and IS one? And, I heard that OOS people tend to be waitlisted but get in later is that true? How has it been in recent years?

It seems like the only people who heard back were the ones who were recently interviewed. Any ideas when the already waitlisted people will hear back? I was waitlisted back in December and was hoping to find out today.

Just spoke to student financial services. They told me to expect our financial aid packages within the next 2 weeks, in case anyone else has been wondering like I have :)

Interviewed in early Feb...waitlisted today as well oos...i guess i'll be writing a letter of interest. good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Waitlist. Interviewed 3/2. Still holding out hope. Anyone know the interviewed/offered acceptances ratio?

Based on what one of the current students told me, getting waitlisted before being accepted it the rule, whereas getting a straight acceptance is by far the exception. I am viewing this waitlist like I viewed being small-pooled before being invited - nothing bad but not necessarily something good, just another step in the process. Good luck to us all :luck:

Already sent in my letter of intent. Lets hope that, in Burlington, the early bird gets the worm :)

Waitlisted OOS. Interviewed 3/2. Guess I'll start writing my letter of intent now.

Seems like everyone (at least here) was waitlisted. Were there any rejections? Or is it common for UVM to send out rejections soon after one has been placed on the waitlist?

Also, I'm sure you guys noticed that it stated online that sending in letters doesn't change your position on the waitlist, but on the school website it clearly states that the waitlist isn't ranked (at least for '09-'10). So shouldn't sending in letters better your chances?

Seems like everyone (at least here) was waitlisted. Were there any rejections? Or is it common for UVM to send out rejections soon after one has been placed on the waitlist?

Also, I'm sure you guys noticed that it stated online that sending in letters doesn't change your position on the waitlist, but on the school website it clearly states that the waitlist isn't ranked (at least for '09-'10). So shouldn't sending in letters better your chances?

I don't know how much it will do, but I figure sending in a letter definitely won't hurt our chances, so why not write one up?

lots of waitlisters huh. I was under the impression this school straight up rejects heavily

Does anyone know if they are going to meet again this month?

Or...this is it, and we're going to just have to wait until May 15 when everyone picks a school?

How is this process not ranked?!?!

Quick question, I never got an email telling me that my status has been updated (WL/OOS). Did everyone else get an email or find out via status check? Thanks.

Waitlisted OOS as well..interviewed very last day so yay! Anyone who is accepted to UVM & plans to withdraw plz plz do so :p

I notice a lot of pre-meds on this board. Is this the prevailing status?

Anyone have multiple acceptances?

Last edited:
I notice a lot of pre-meds on this board. Is this the prevailing status?

Anyone have multiple acceptances? UVM is my ONLY shot.

I am a teaching assistant and masters candidate at a "top" 20 medical school. I teach med students... Catch-22, anyone? :)

Vermont is SO much cooler than my home institution. I love everything about that place. I'll be completely heartbroken if it doesn't work out. :)

I'm approaching life as if it won't happen anyway... Gotta love being in waitlist limbo! :)

wow, you teach medical students?
I wish you the best of luck!

Does anyone know if UVM rejects anyone post-interview? It seems like everyone got waitlisted.

Does anyone know if UVM rejects anyone post-interview? It seems like everyone got waitlisted.

Yes, I think they do reject. If you look at posts from the early pages of this thread, there's like one or two people who were rejected post-interview.

So that probably says they don't reject that many post-interview... ... ...

If I could break down the three groups by what I see on the thread, it'd be something like this:

1% accepted, 98% waitlisted, 1% rejected...
:confused:

How many people do they interview? How big is their class?

I have a feeling they mentioned it during the presentation but I just don't remember.

Hey everyone, someone asked earlier about how waitlists could be unranked and, although I don't know the answer to that I do know that uvm is ranked. Premed advisors carry a booklet about every school that only they can know directly (but can share with applicants if asked). They told me that in the beginning of April the waitlist is ranked...and here we are. best of luck to everyone, I know the waiting is killing me too...

Has anyone been able to contact the admissions office today on the phone?

Damn. I called in like 5 times today at different times. I had to finally email them lol.

Strange... I got through on my first try. Make sure you're dialing the right number (802) 656-2154. It's different than the one they give you for scheduling your interview.

It's been over a week since decisions came out. Based on earlier posts, usually somebody gets accepted soon after being wait listed...

Last edited:
just accepted via email, my first. wow. IS, interviewed in October and thought it went horribly, so.... i guess the moral of the story is to keep the faith. add me to the list of people who wrote off their chances because of a bad interview and then got lucky.

edit: for those interested, i've been on the in-state waitlist since November. i'm not sure how much validity my experience has for those of you applying OOS, the two categories seem to be evaluated pretty separately.

Last edited:
just accepted via email, my first. wow. IS, interviewed in October and thought it went horribly, so.... i guess the moral of the story is to keep the faith. add me to the list of people who wrote off their chances because of a bad interview and then got lucky.

congrats! I likewise thought UVM was one of my weakest interviews and also got in (back in December, before people freak out)

So is it fair to say that most of us are waiting until the May 15 "signing day" to get off wait list?

How many people have been waitlisted?

From speaking with current UVM students, a bunch of people get in from the WL.

I was told exactly that when I called in a couple weeks ago.

So is it fair to say that most of us are waiting until the May 15 "signing day" to get off wait list?

How many people have been waitlisted?

From speaking with current UVM students, a bunch of people get in from the WL.

Does anyone know the extent to which UVM overaccepts OOS? Based on this thread it seems like they accept precious few, but then again there really are not many slots available when you think about it. This place seems to be really unique in the way they handle admissions, for better (those interested have a legitimate chance) or for worse (it takes until the damn summer to find out!)

Yeah. I've applied to UVM twice now and have been waitlisted for almost 2 years total. Interviewed in the fall both times and I'm guessing gonna be rejected around August again right before classes start. I think it's an awful thing to do to people considering how much of our life we've put into the process. Keeping 100 +/-? people on edge for months when they only have a few spots open is pretty shady to me.

anyone know whats up with financial aid award letters?

ah. sorry to be "that guy", but, was it via email or snail and are you on the east coast?

I got mine last week. It was in my online student account at https://aisweb1.uvm.edu/pls/owa_prod/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin and snail mail arrived Thursday or Friday. I'm on the east coast.

I'm not sure if your student account is activated (mine is because I did my undergrad there), but you can try to access your award that way.

ah. sorry to be "that guy", but, was it via email or snail and are you on the east coast?

Hahah no prob, I should have put more info in my answer anyways. Snail mail, i'm on the East Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.