2009-2010 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, you found out already? did she say when the ranking was going to be mailed? if not, did you just call the general admissions number? thanks!

I had a phone appointment with her, and she said they will try to mail letters sometime next week with your WL position #

Members don't see this ad.

Did she tell you your number as kind of a secret? I am very tempted to call admissions to see if I can find out my rank on the IS AL..

I just spoke with Lucy at admissions, and I guess I'm position 6 on the waitlist (OOS).

It's my understanding the OOS list doesn't move very much, but can anyone please give me an idea of what my chances of an acceptance are at this point based on past data?

thanks.

Congrats!

I can't imagine how many phone calls they have received since this post :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did she tell you your number as kind of a secret? I am very tempted to call admissions to see if I can find out my rank on the IS AL..

Don't call...they won't tell you over the phone, already tried :laugh:...the letters are being sent out this week.

Don't call...they won't tell you over the phone, already tried :laugh:...the letters are being sent out this week.

haha thanks JMJ! I was definitely going to call. I don't want to wait a whole week when they've already made their choice!:scared:

She didn't make it seem like a secret, but in hindsight it might not have been a good idea to announce it on SDN lol.

When is usually the time frame that we should have our housing finalized? Should we already sign the lease asap or can we wait a little like a month or two?

When is usually the time frame that we should have our housing finalized? Should we already sign the lease asap or can we wait a little like a month or two?

Personally I'd get it done asap, there's sort of a feeding frenzy for the places on Old University around may 15 once people are locked in.

Last edited:
I just got my alternate list number in the mail...I'm in the low end of the 10-15 range, IS list. I'm happy, but also frustrated; I just want to know if I'm in or not! They say in the letter that in the past 5 years, they've accepted anywhere from 0-30 alternates...any bets on how far the IS list will move?

Alas...no letter in my mailbox yet. Are you in the Madison area? Congrats, that's a great number. I think last year they went through 22 on the IS list (based on last year's thread), so you are in a pretty good position. I hope my number is that good:xf:

Last edited:
Rejected, OOS, post-interview. I got a letter that pretty much said that my number on the alternate list was so low that my chances of getting off were essentially zero (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! <--my edit).

Boo, but I probably wouldn't have chosen WI over my state school. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

And if you were wondering, 34/3.9. I also thought that my interview went well and my interviewer said that he really enjoyed talking to me. The only thing I can think of was not stressing enough that I want to live in WI, which was true. Even though there is no way in hell I'd ever practice in WI, I never said that I planned on practicing in another state if I went to WI. I'd call to see where my trouble area was, but at this point it does not matter.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my alternate list number in the mail...I'm in the low end of the 10-15 range, IS list. I'm happy, but also frustrated; I just want to know if I'm in or not! They say in the letter that in the past 5 years, they've accepted anywhere from 0-30 alternates...any bets on how far the IS list will move?

Congrats!!

Last edited:

Congrats, there's a good chance you'll get in! I'm close to the Madison area so I hope I hear from them tomorrow :/

Does anyone know when the Financial aid offers are coming out?

Middle of April. I'm actually really excited to see mine, I would love to know what my budget is going to be so I can plan some things. :thumbup:

Oh my gosh, I checked out for a week and missed all the excitement! Congratulations to any new acceptees and I wish everyone the best of luck as waitlist letters go out. I'm excited to see who else will be in the class :)

Just got my IS alternate list rank...very happy. I am also on the low end of the 10-15 range, so mskk we must be right next to each other!

Now I'm just hoping a few accepted ISers get into Harvard or something :laugh:

Good luck to other alternate listers, hope you get some good news today or Monday!

Just got mine on the west coast. Just over #10. So that's not bad, eh?

can you please transcribe the letter? I won't be able to get to my mailbox until monday

I looked pretty carefully at last years thread and an OOSer ranked at #2 reported being accepted around the end of June. For whatever reason, Madison saw much more IS wailist movement (22) than OOS movement last year. I think UW attracts a lot of OOSers with their reasonable tuition.

But you should be happy though because that's a good number. Every year is different, so we'll all have to wait and see. Can't wait for May 15th!!!

I looked pretty carefully at last years thread and an OOSer ranked at #2 reported being accepted around the end of June. For whatever reason, Madison saw much more IS wailist movement (22) than OOS movement last year. I think UW attracts a lot of OOSers with their reasonable tuition.

But you should be happy though because that's a good number. Every year is different, so we'll all have to wait and see. Can't wait for May 15th!!!

Yeah, I looked at last years thread after I posted. There doesn't seem to be much hope. Oh well.

The letter just states your number and says they have accepted as few as 0 and as many as 30 from the waitlist (combined IS and OOS) in the past five years.

Yeah, I looked at last years thread after I posted. There doesn't seem to be much hope. Oh well.

The letter just states your number and says they have accepted as few as 0 and as many as 30 from the waitlist (combined IS and OOS) in the past five years.

I think it's pretty random, I wouldn't lose hope yet. Last year was pretty unusual. Keep in mind up to about 20% of the class is OOS usually, so that it really depends what those ppl do with their acceptances in terms of how much WL movement there will be. Some years there's not much movement at all but usually there's a decent amount.

Got my number today, I am below 30 on IS list. Looks like I will not be attending UWSMPH this fall short of a miracle. Mixed feelings about it because I really want to go here but now I can start making plans for next year rather than waiting all summer to see if I get in.

I will be reapplying here next cycle and I am extremely determined to get in. Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

Shall we?

Waitlisted:

In State (name; interview date)

Out of State (name; interview date)
6. RevDM - December

Waitlisted:

1. uhmm-March 12th
6. RevDM - December

Hey guys! I'm visiting you from the pre-vet forums; congrats to those who've been accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist!

I'm going to be starting at Wisconsin's veterinary school this fall and am thinking about finding a roommate. Choosing someone from my class makes me a little nervous (what if we don't get along for some reason and then I have to see them every day for the next 4 years?), so I'm hoping a new med student might be in the same boat. I'm moving to Madison from PA, so I'm totally new to the area.

A bit about me: Female future vet student, age 23. Very relaxed and easy-going roommate who respects a roomie's privacy, time, space, and belongings. No drama here! I keep my stuff neat and organized and will do the same for our common areas. I have a long-distance and healthy relationship (again, no drama!) with a guy that will likely be staying at my place one weekend a month or so. No pets yet, but I'd consider getting an older dog later in the year or during my second year of studies (my guy is very allergic to cats, unfortunately). Oh, and I love to cook, so I'd also love to help provide meals for my roommate as well! :)

Please let me know if you're interested in looking for a place together. I've already started researching apartments in grad student-friendly areas near bus lines. Thanks very much!

Of all days, the mailman is late and nowhere to be seen:laugh::xf:

what the hell, I'm one state over and still nothing from them, but somebody on the west coast gets it? I think Madison owes me an acceptance:p

I ended up getting my rank today and I only live an hour away from Madison

I ended up getting my rank today and I only live an hour away from Madison

live in eau claire and no letter today telling my where i am on the waitlist. lets go mail, i've waited long enough for this.

hour away from madison, got my rank on saturday - top 5 in state...really excited yet hoping they dont take 0 off the waitlist this year...

good luck everyone!

Got mine in DC today. In the 20s as an OOS applicant. I assume it's likely game over since Lucy Wall told me specifically that I'd want to be in the top 15.

Good luck all!

Damn koko. I was hoping u were like number one so if I withdrew it would go to you lol:p. Gl at tulane dude. Is that where u going for sure?

Btw fin aid comes April 15 th for sure? I wish it would come now :(

Waitlisted:

5. ktko; February 26th :laugh:

6. RevDM - December

So I'm currently trying to decide between the UW and MCW (I'm instate, accepted to MCW and in a good spot on the UW waitlist). I know I can't assume a UW acceptance, but I'm just trying to be fully informed. Anyone care to weigh in on the matter, from the UW perspective?

A few more specific questions: Does the UW have anything comparable MCW's STAR center (clinical practice in standardized situations)? Also, I know MCW has lots of funded research opportunities between M1-M2 years...anything like this at the UW? (I know I should know these things; I'd written off UW after getting waitlisted and now I'm trying to re-educate myself...).

Thanks!

So I'm currently trying to decide between the UW and MCW (I'm instate, accepted to MCW and in a good spot on the UW waitlist). I know I can't assume a UW acceptance, but I'm just trying to be fully informed. Anyone care to weigh in on the matter, from the UW perspective?

A few more specific questions: Does the UW have anything comparable MCW's STAR center (clinical practice in standardized situations)? Also, I know MCW has lots of funded research opportunities between M1-M2 years...anything like this at the UW? (I know I should know these things; I'd written off UW after getting waitlisted and now I'm trying to re-educate myself...).

Thanks!
Tuition alone makes UW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MCW. I would go there end of story. Any research you would want is going to be at UW, theres some scholarship or something apparently that pays for many students to do it over the summer (i forget the name, but my host told me almost every student gets it or something). Whether its money, prestige, or research, UW is going to have mcw beat in every area. GL

Thanks!

One major difference you might want to consider is the Statewide Campus aspect of UW. On average, third year students spend 16 weeks outside of Madison for rotations in Marshfield, Milwaukee, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, Green Bay, etc. Not sure if this is a plus or minus to you, but it's certainly something to consider. At MCW I believe clinical rotations are primarily at Froedtert/Childrens.

Thanks!

you will get FAR more clinical experience in the first two years at UW compared to MCW. We see patients starting day 1. My cousin is a MCW m3 and said she barely saw a patient before 3rd year (!). You see standardized and real patients on a weekly basis in PDS, GPP, and free clinics.

As far as research, UWs Shapiro program offers students $5000 in funding for 8 weeks of research in the summer. As Elijah said, it's almost unheard of to not get into the program. UW has far more research opportunities than MCW, we have ~$250 million in NIH grants plus an immense amount of privately funded research.

MCW is a good school but unless you have compelling reasons to be in milwaukee, UW is better and less expensive.

One major difference you might want to consider is the Statewide Campus aspect of UW. On average, third year students spend 16 weeks outside of Madison for rotations in Marshfield, Milwaukee, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, Green Bay, etc. Not sure if this is a plus or minus to you, but it's certainly something to consider. At MCW I believe clinical rotations are primarily at Froedtert/Childrens.

Mcw students rotate through all the Milwaukee hospitals. It's rare for people to be just at froedert/childrens. My cousin rotated thru the va, st joes, st lukes, some random clinics, and only did one rotation each at wch/froedert.

The whole statewide campus thing for Uw is overblown. You HAVE to do surgery, psych, and half of medicine in Madison. Most people end up spending half of medicine and one other rotation out of town (10-12 weeks) unless they want to be out of town.

Admissions recap meeting today.

Final #s for interviews:

total interviewed 490

355 IS
135 OOS

historically, ultimate acceptance IS is 75-80%, OOS is ~35%

good luck to everyone on the WL.

Thanks for the quick responses re: MCW vs UW, everybody, that was actually super helpful :)

Mcw students rotate through all the Milwaukee hospitals. It's rare for people to be just at froedert/childrens. My cousin rotated thru the va, st joes, st lukes, some random clinics, and only did one rotation each at wch/froedert.

The whole statewide campus thing for Uw is overblown. You HAVE to do surgery, psych, and half of medicine in Madison. Most people end up spending half of medicine and one other rotation out of town (10-12 weeks) unless they want to be out of town.

Word. I don't think the state wide campus is a big deal either, but I've heard other people I know complain about it. That's why I mentioned it.

From what the UW med students on interview day said, it can actually be better in some cases because you get to do more independently w/ patients at the smaller hospitals and clinics outside Madison. Believe me, I love, love, love UW and would go there in a heartbeat. :love: Just hoping the waitlist moves.

Word. I don't think the state wide campus is a big deal either, but I've heard other people I know complain about it. That's why I mentioned it.

From what the UW med students on interview day said, it can actually be better in some cases because you get to do more independently w/ patients at the smaller hospitals and clinics outside Madison. Believe me, I love, love, love UW and would go there in a heartbeat. :love: Just hoping the waitlist moves.

If you look at the # spots in each clerkship at any given time, 2/3-75% of the spots are in Milwaukee/Madison. People just like to complain.

Admissions recap meeting today.

Final #s for interviews:

total interviewed 490

355 IS
135 OOS

historically, ultimate acceptance IS is 75-80%, OOS is ~35%

good luck to everyone on the WL.

thanks for the information - i know it is impossible to tell; yet any mention on what is expected for WL movement or what, in your opinion, you would want for a close to sure thing?

thanks in advance

Hey, were any of you able to register for a Netid or an email address for UWSMPH?

thanks for the information - i know it is impossible to tell; yet any mention on what is expected for WL movement or what, in your opinion, you would want for a close to sure thing?

thanks in advance

That's hard to tell, but I can tell you a few things that might help you figure things out.

Generally the %oos in the final class is going to be between 10-20% but UW tries to have it be around 15. That means about 23 people. Historically about 1/3 of OOS acceptees matriculate and about 70% IS.

This past cycle, a LOT of the OOS matriculated, meaning the people getting off the waitlist were miniscule, 3-5 ppl. That's bc the class is ~20% OOS. That means they prolly had a much higher conversion rate. My guess is they accepted about 40 ppl right off the bat and a few more as ppl withdrew after getting off WLs in the summer but at some pt realized that their %oos was going to be high and stopped using the wl at all.

If things go according to form, and this is pure speculation, if they accepted 40 and normal conversion happens, they'll convert about 12, meaning they'll go at least 10 deep in the WL, so I'd feel pretty good about being in the top 10, just keep in mind, things COULD wind up like last year and they convert 50% of the oos.

That's hard to tell, but I can tell you a few things that might help you figure things out.

Generally the %oos in the final class is going to be between 10-20% but UW tries to have it be around 15. That means about 23 people. Historically about 1/3 of OOS acceptees matriculate and about 70% IS.

This past cycle, a LOT of the OOS matriculated, meaning the people getting off the waitlist were miniscule, 3-5 ppl. That's bc the class is ~20% OOS. That means they prolly had a much higher conversion rate. My guess is they accepted about 40 ppl right off the bat and a few more as ppl withdrew after getting off WLs in the summer but at some pt realized that their %oos was going to be high and stopped using the wl at all.

If things go according to form, and this is pure speculation, if they accepted 40 and normal conversion happens, they'll convert about 12, meaning they'll go at least 10 deep in the WL, so I'd feel pretty good about being in the top 10, just keep in mind, things COULD wind up like last year and they convert 50% of the oos.

Thanks for the info. Any guesses about IS waitlist movement? Or what is a reasonably "safe" position on IS waitlist?

Thanks for the info. Any guesses about IS waitlist movement? Or what is a reasonably "safe" position on IS waitlist?

It depends on the year, I really couldn't tell you, top 10 is probably safe, after that who knows really, the two waitlists aren't exclusive either if you read my above post.

Hey guys, congrats to all of the acceptances and good luck to the wait-listers. I was wondering if any of you applied for WARM or have any information on that. I'll be applying in June for WARM. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, congrats to all of the acceptances and good luck to the wait-listers. I was wondering if any of you applied for WARM or have any information on that. I'll be applying in June for WARM. Thanks guys.

I'm not in warm but a lot of my friends are, what would you like to know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.