2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would strongly recommend looking into DO schools. After I found out more about MSU COM, it even made me doubt my decision to go to Wayne. I can elaborate on some differences if anyone is interested

i am

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly recommend looking into DO schools. After I found out more about MSU COM, it even made me doubt my decision to go to Wayne. I can elaborate on some differences if anyone is interested

I am interested in knowing the differences. I am seriously considering applying to DO schools as well.

I am interested in knowing the differences. I am seriously considering applying to DO schools as well.
Some people make a big fuss about the difference in philosophy and all that,
but I think the only true difference is slightly more emphasis on primary care and learning about OMM (which some people find useful and really get into, but plenty of DOs don't use it at all after med school).
I currently am in a residency which has a mixture of DOs and MDs and nobody has discriminated against me for being a DO (most people don't even notice the difference).
MSUCOM has a good reputation among DO schools and since they give strong preference to instaters I think anyone in Michigan should definitely consider it.
Best of luck to everyone on getting into the right school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'm going to reapply. I think I did the best I could on my application, I'm also running out of schools to apply to. All the schools with stats around mine only take like 2 OOS students a year. So being from CA does kind of suck.

But SGU is looking better and better and warmer. So I think in the end I might just head on that way.

I would say that my biggest surprise was that there are no significant differences between MD and DO programs. I was all worried about “not being a real doctor” and all that stuff, but in reality, the MSUCOM program in the first year has most of its classes with MSUCHM. Below are the links to the schedules from Wayne (1st year) and from MSUCOM (first 2 years where classes in Italics are taken with CHM students).

Wayne:

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/registration_forms/Tentative%202010%20Year%20I%20Schedule.pdf

MSUCOM:

http://ap.com.msu.edu/preclerkship/pdf/curriculumgrid.pdf

You can compare the two… I see the biggest difference not in the curriculum but in scheduling. MSUCOM has summer semesters so you only have maybe a month off after your first year where MD programs usually have 2.5 months. It actually sounded attractive to me to do just Anatomy all summer and be done with it. When I attended the Open House at MSUCOM (every accepted student is invited), current students shared that it was much less stressful being done with the anatomy before the fall semester. I thought that I would actually prefer the summer class and less stress during the year.

Being so concerned about “DO” label in the past, I have realized that if you plan on living in Michigan, where DOs are common, no one will ever ask you what that means. Even other states that have DO programs (about 20… I think…) would be ok, but you might run into the problem of trying to defend your education if you are not an MD somewhere else in the country. Also, if you ever think of working overseas (like in Europe), you might have more difficult time with the DO degree than with MD. Again, the differences are not so much in the curriculum or education you get, but more so with residency matches and what you plan on doing after graduation. You also will be taking COMPLEX (not sure of the spelling) and not USMILE at the end of the second year, but some people take both and then apply to both MD and DO residencies. There are also some DO residencies that are closed to MDs. Just like someone else said, if you are sure of going into primary care, MSUCOM is a way to go. They are ranked in the top 5 “primary care” schools in the US among DO and MD programs. If you definitely plan on specializing, just plan on taking the USMILE and score well J

I love MSU campus, the school is great, the admissions staff is very kind and helpful, and I had low stress application cycle with them (keep in mind that MSUCOM requires 3 credits in Genetics and 3 credits in Biochemistry in addition to everything Wayne requires). Let me know if you have any other questions…

I don't think I'm going to reapply. I think I did the best I could on my application, I'm also running out of schools to apply to. All the schools with stats around mine only take like 2 OOS students a year. So being from CA does kind of suck.

But SGU is looking better and better and warmer. So I think in the end I might just head on that way.

Aww I was really hoping you'd be accepted here by now (I love when Cali people join me). But honestly as a reapp myself with very little differences between last year and this except the timing and of course a year full of new experiences, I gotta say unless you actually want to go to sgu, just reapply early and broadly. Also, don't give up hope... it's only the first week of June!

=(

I really you hope you get in!!

Some people make a big fuss about the difference in philosophy and all that,
but I think the only true difference is slightly more emphasis on primary care and learning about OMM (which some people find useful and really get into, but plenty of DOs don't use it at all after med school).
I currently am in a residency which has a mixture of DOs and MDs and nobody has discriminated against me for being a DO (most people don't even notice the difference).
MSUCOM has a good reputation among DO schools and since they give strong preference to instaters I think anyone in Michigan should definitely consider it.
Best of luck to everyone on getting into the right school.

I would say that my biggest surprise was that there are no significant differences between MD and DO programs. I was all worried about “not being a real doctor” and all that stuff, but in reality, the MSUCOM program in the first year has most of its classes with MSUCHM. Below are the links to the schedules from Wayne (1st year) and from MSUCOM (first 2 years where classes in Italics are taken with CHM students).

Wayne:

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/registration_forms/Tentative%202010%20Year%20I%20Schedule.pdf

MSUCOM:

You can compare the two… I see the biggest difference not in the curriculum but in scheduling. MSUCOM has summer semesters so you only have maybe a month off after your first year where MD programs usually have 2.5 months. It actually sounded attractive to me to do just Anatomy all summer and be done with it. When I attended the Open House at MSUCOM (every accepted student is invited), current students shared that it was much less stressful being done with the anatomy before the fall semester. I thought that I would actually prefer the summer class and less stress during the year.

Being so concerned about “DO” label in the past, I have realized that if you plan on living in Michigan, where DOs are common, no one will ever ask you what that means. Even other states that have DO programs (about 20… I think…) would be ok, but you might run into the problem of trying to defend your education if you are not an MD somewhere else in the country. Also, if you ever think of working overseas (like in Europe), you might have more difficult time with the DO degree than with MD. Again, the differences are not so much in the curriculum or education you get, but more so with residency matches and what you plan on doing after graduation. You also will be taking COMPLEX (not sure of the spelling) and not USMILE at the end of the second year, but some people take both and then apply to both MD and DO residencies. There are also some DO residencies that are closed to MDs. Just like someone else said, if you are sure of going into primary care, MSUCOM is a way to go. They are ranked in the top 5 “primary care” schools in the US among DO and MD programs. If you definitely plan on specializing, just plan on taking the USMILE and score well J

I love MSU campus, the school is great, the admissions staff is very kind and helpful, and I had low stress application cycle with them (keep in mind that MSUCOM requires 3 credits in Genetics and 3 credits in Biochemistry in addition to everything Wayne requires). Let me know if you have any other questions…

Thank you for your comments! They're quite helpful. I think I am just going to go for it and apply DO and MD this year =) [and simultaneously hope that I get off the waitlist lol]

Thank you for your comments! They're quite helpful. I think I am just going to go for it and apply DO and MD this year =) [and simultaneously hope that I get off the waitlist lol]

Good plan...I think I'll do the same!

I too don't plan to reapply. I have 2 acceptances from foreign schools. The first is of course SGU, and the second is AUB (American University of Beirut, in Lebanon, PS: I am Lebanese :) ), but no doubt Wayne is my number one choice by far

I was wondering what are you guys' opinions regarding those schools ?

I strongly suggest reapplying DO. And if you want you can ask me some questions. I did quite a bit of research, and applied to MD and DO. I can provide some insight, answer some questions, and elucidate on if your stats maybe competitive. no way am I a resident expert, but I would say i'm sagacious to a certain extent regarding this matter.

I strongly suggest reapplying DO. And if you want you can ask me some questions. I did quite a bit of research, and applied to MD and DO. I can provide some insight, answer some questions, and elucidate on if your stats maybe competitive. no way am I a resident expert, but I would say i'm sagacious to a certain extent regarding this matter.

scrabble win!

I've heard that most DO schools look for applicants to have done some shadowing under a DO physician and a letter from that physician. Is that true? That would be difficult for some Canadian DO applicants since DO's are very few in numbers in Canada and since shadowing isn't allowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that most DO schools look for applicants to have done some shadowing under a DO physician and a letter from that physician. Is that true? That would be difficult for some Canadian DO applicants since DO's are very few in numbers in Canada and since shadowing isn't allowed.

this thread went from inquiry, to excited applicants, to further inquiry, to neurotic applicants, to discussing alternatives..... oh med school applications, how fun

anyway, many DO schools require this, I applied to three that did not (MSUCOM, CCOM, Touro-NY) though I'm sure many more don't. have a look at this gem: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-whole.pdf

if you look at the school pages (pdf page #32 and on) under the "supplemental application" of each school it indicates what is required for letters. many say they prefer a DO over an MD, but if you are from Canada I think they would take it into consideration

I also applied to DO schools this year. A lot of schools do require a letter from a DO, and many strongly recommend it. I met with a DO and spent a couple of hours with her, discussing her work, my interests, and osteopathic education in general. She agreed to write me a letter of recommendation based on that. I don't know what she wrote, but she was clearly able to get enough from our conversation to write some things. I applied to 4 DO schools, was interviewed and accepted by 2, so her letter was sufficient. In your situation, LOSAR, I would call one of the schools that does require a letter and ask them how Canadian applicants usually fulfill this requirement.

I would be happy to answer questions about applying to both DO and MD schools as well. I did chose MD schools over the DO schools, but for reasons of location, cost, and family, not quality of education.

Not MSU...it helps, but definitely not required.

I called the office a bit ago. Last week there were about 5 offers sent. For this week, there are already a couple of withdraws, but the office is gonna be busy because graduation is tomorrow. The girl told me to expect a few offers to be sent late on Wednesday maybe.
This is the update for now.

I called the office a bit ago. Last week there were about 5 offers sent. For this week, there are already a couple of withdraws, but the office is gonna be busy because graduation is tomorrow. The girl told me to expect a few offers to be sent late on Wednesday maybe.
This is the update for now.

Thanks for the update, mbaz. Stay positive. It's better'n nothin'!

any idea if those offers are OOS or IS?

thanks for keeping us updated. :cool:

So for those that are reapplying, what will you do for your PS and secondary essays? Will you rewrite them, change them a bit, or leave them completely intact?

So for those that are reapplying, what will you do for your PS and secondary essays? Will you rewrite them, change them a bit, or leave them completely intact?

I think you want to rewrite them if you think you can make them better. But if you have an awesome answer then I would keep it the same.

I think you want to rewrite them if you think you can make them better. But if you have an awesome answer then I would keep it the same.

My interviewer said I had well-written essays. And the AdCom at the Pre Med Symposium told me your app will virtually never be read by the same person again. They said reapplicants might want to incorporate into the application some kind of reflection or thought about what happened between applying previously and the new application. So I think I'm gonna tweak my PS a bit and provided the essays remain the same for Wayne, I'll tweak them a bit, too. Then there's the extra essay for reapplicants.

Do you think the same can be said for other medical schools in the Midwest?

My interviewer said I had well-written essays. And the AdCom at the Pre Med Symposium told me your app will virtually never be read by the same person again. They said reapplicants might want to incorporate into the application some kind of reflection or thought about what happened between applying previously and the new application. So I think I'm gonna tweak my PS a bit and provided the essays remain the same for Wayne, I'll tweak them a bit, too. Then there's the extra essay for reapplicants.

Do you think the same can be said for other medical schools in the Midwest?

If I think I did my best on the PS and other essays then I definitely wouldn't change too much. I guess it depends on what you your weakness was this last cycle.

One thing I did learn this whole year is that every school is different! A lot of people suggest calling the school and asking them why you didn't get in.

no big news.. i called the office today and was told that 3 people have withdrawn so far this week

If I think I did my best on the PS and other essays then I definitely wouldn't change too much. I guess it depends on what you your weakness was this last cycle.

One thing I did learn this whole year is that every school is different! A lot of people suggest calling the school and asking them why you didn't get in.

Do you think it's too late to call some schools about why you didn't get in?

Hi everyone, long time reader but first time posting (under this username). I wanted to thank the members for calming me down from time to time, reading the forums can make a world of difference when you're waiting (and waiting and waiting).

I got THE phone call from WSUSOM this morning, I was so excited throughout the day but now I feel someones playing a prank I wouldn't wish on a mortal enemy on me. I hope the wait-list continues to move and more people get pulled off, the more the merrier. Anyways, best of luck to those still wait-listed :thumbup:

Hi everyone, long time reader but first time posting (under this username). I wanted to thank the members for calming me down from time to time, reading the forums can make a world of difference when you're waiting (and waiting and waiting).

I got THE phone call from WSUSOM this morning, I was so excited throughout the day but now I feel someones playing a prank I wouldn't wish on a mortal enemy on me. I hope the wait-list continues to move and more people get pulled off, the more the merrier. Anyways, best of luck to those still wait-listed :thumbup:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point...I am so discouraged by this whole situation its made me question whether or not I even want to go to medical school. If this is so damn stressful, and it's only the ADMISSIONS process...I can't imagine what the real deal is like. I'm 22 and in the past year I have sprouted gray hair, that's not ok. I've officially decided I'm not going to reapply.

At this point...I am so discouraged by this whole situation its made me question whether or not I even want to go to medical school. If this is so damn stressful, and it's only the ADMISSIONS process...I can't imagine what the real deal is like. I'm 22 and in the past year I have sprouted gray hair, that's not ok. I've officially decided I'm not going to reapply.

Hi Hopeful, I was in the same situation as you. I will admit the process can be exhausting, but speaking to doctors in the medical field showed me this is one of the hardest steps toward becoming a doctor. I think we all have grey hairs at this point, I remember my girlfriend pulled out my first one :)

Anyways, don't let the process discourage you from your goals. There are plenty of options out there, from MD to DO to Caribbeans, the most important thing is to never give up.

ps: I was a reapplicant

I think at this point I'd rather take the GRE (wayyyyyyyy easier than the MCAT), apply to grad schools (which will be about 1/5 of the price), go to my choice of a top graduate research institution (instead of going to whatever program will take me), and get paid a stipend instead of taking out $200,000 + in loans, and do clinical research. Who knows, maybe one day I'll find the utlimate cure to cancer. Sorry to be a pessimist about the whole thing, but I just fell like we ALL work so hard and are very accomplished and in turn we are extrememly unappreciated.

OOhhh yea, and the thought of relieving myself of taking the boards and completing a residency program makes me really happy :D.

IS or OOS?

i don't know if this will help any - but i'm pulling my name off of the WL.
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!!

Hopeful I just want you to know that you are not alone in having feelings like that. I think a lot of us feel like that being WL and not getting an acceptance.

The important thing is the if you do chose to go into another field, just focus on the good things that will make you happy. I thought about being a teacher once and how nice that would be. Summer breaks, no hard tests to take, no stress of medical school and being a doctor. Having the time to enjoy life :laugh:

Don't feel bad about giving up because it is not giving up if you decide to do something else and succeed at it.

Reapplying is definitely not for everyone. I'm also not reapplying but I have gotten into the Tulane ACP program thanks to someone here who informed me about it. The thought of having to do all that again is just not for me. I don't want to apply to DO schools and I would hate to go to SGU.

If it is an age thing then don't worry. My friend who is 43 just got into UC Davis as a re applicant. So it is never too late!

Hopeful I just want you to know that you are not alone in having feelings like that. I think a lot of us feel like that being WL and not getting an acceptance.

The important thing is the if you do chose to go into another field, just focus on the good things that will make you happy. I thought about being a teacher once and how nice that would be. Summer breaks, no hard tests to take, no stress of medical school and being a doctor. Having the time to enjoy life :laugh:

Don't feel bad about giving up because it is not giving up if you decide to do something else and succeed at it.

Reapplying is definitely not for everyone. I'm also not reapplying but I have gotten into the Tulane ACP program thanks to someone here who informed me about it. The thought of having to do all that again is just not for me. I don't want to apply to DO schools and I would hate to go to SGU.

If it is an age thing then don't worry. My friend who is 43 just got into UC Davis as a re applicant. So it is never too late!

I mean, it's not really an age thing...or else I wouldn't be considering a Phd program, ha. I've just really been thinking about attending medical school, and finally really started to weigh out the pros and cons. It is just extrememly competitive and the competitivness really never dwindles. I tip my hat to those people that through everything still want to give up so much time, effort, and money towards this cause; I apparently have worn thin through all of the abrasion this process has put towards me. I've finally come to realize that I can be very successful, and have a significant impact on the world and the well being of others without going to medical school, and I am deciding to pursue that path now.

I think at this point I'd rather take the GRE (wayyyyyyyy easier than the MCAT), apply to grad schools (which will be about 1/5 of the price), go to my choice of a top graduate research institution (instead of going to whatever program will take me), and get paid a stipend instead of taking out $200,000 + in loans, and do clinical research. Who knows, maybe one day I'll find the utlimate cure to cancer. Sorry to be a pessimist about the whole thing, but I just fell like we ALL work so hard and are very accomplished and in turn we are extrememly unappreciated.

Be careful not to hide under the illusion that grad school is easy. I already have my PhD and although the general GRE isn't bad, the subject GREs are worse than the MCAT and many of the "top tier" schools require you to take that. Just a heads up.
And although acceptance to PhD programs isn't as difficult as medical school, finding success is even harder. Funding is very limited, and if you want to do good research, it's more than just who you know...

Not trying to discourage you, but just keep these things in mind. I think medical students have this attitude that graduate school is a breeze; in all actuality, it's equally as difficult--maybe even harder. But I guess I can't say considering I haven't been in medical school yet, hah! I'm just basing this off of my own experience as a PhD and the MD application process, as well as living alongside those in medical school.

Be careful not to hide under the illusion that grad school is easy. I already have my PhD and although the general GRE isn't bad, the subject GREs are worse than the MCAT and many of the "top tier" schools require you to take that. Just a heads up.
And although acceptance to PhD programs isn't as difficult as medical school, finding success is even harder. Funding is very limited, and if you want to do good research, it's more than just who you know...

Not trying to discourage you, but just keep these things in mind. I think medical students have this attitude that graduate school is a breeze; in all actuality, it's equally as difficult--maybe even harder. But I guess I can't say considering I haven't been in medical school yet, hah! I'm just basing this off of my own experience as a PhD and the MD application process, as well as living alongside those in medical school.

By no means do I consider grad school as being easy. Also, alot of the well known research institutions (non-ivy league) do not require the subject GRE. There is alot of self-responsibility in graduate school in order to be successful...which I'm well aware of. My choice by any means had nothing to do with the difficulty between the two. If that were the case I would have never applied to medical school in the first place. Anywho...thanks for the disclaimer.

I've been away from my mailbox for the past 2 months and was just wondering if Wayne has sent out any important mail to accepted students that must be returned by a certain deadline or if there is anything important to take care of as of now?

I've been away from my mailbox for the past 2 months and was just wondering if Wayne has sent out any important mail to accepted students that must be returned by a certain deadline or if there is anything important to take care of as of now?

There have been a couple of emails from Dawn. One was about the first week's schedule and the other was answering a few questions students had been asking. Other than those two and some financial aid emails I haven't received anything from Wayne. Since it is after May, we can get our physicals, PPD, and blood work done.

iScrubs: congrats on the acceptance!

There have been a couple of emails from Dawn. One was about the first week's schedule and the other was answering a few questions students had been asking. Other than those two and some financial aid emails I haven't received anything from Wayne. Since it is after May, we can get our physicals, PPD, and blood work done.

iScrubs: congrats on the acceptance!

Thanks GeneticsGoddess, congratulations on yours too! See you in August. Will I get these e-mails or is there a website to find this information?

Thanks GeneticsGoddess, congratulations on yours too! See you in August. Will I get these e-mails or is there a website to find this information?

Thanks, I can't wait for August! I'm not sure about the emails, but I'd be happy to forward them to you if you'd like them. There are forms for the physical and other forms and info for us on the admissions page, under the entering freshmen link on the left.

Thanks, I can't wait for August! I'm not sure about the emails, but I'd be happy to forward them to you if you'd like them. There are forms for the physical and other forms and info for us on the admissions page, under the entering freshmen link on the left.

That sounds great, check ur inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.