2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this whole process crazy? I was all ready to move down to New Orleans and now I have to shift gears to Detriot!

Okay now I can become a Red Wings Fan :D

Congrats! You should become a Red Wings fan! At least they don't disappear come playoffs unlike a certain team in NorCal...:D

I was really hoping for Wayne State but was unfortunately rejected. Luckily for me I already had another acceptance. It's good to see that you and Sean got in. I think you guys were the most vocal supporters for Wayne State. Good luck with everything. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I hope they haven't forgotten about us stragglers ...
I tried calling the office today, and it went to an answering machine, which was pretty weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried calling the office again today, and the voice mail picks up after two rings... I wonder what is going on.

On another note, as an IS applicant I am starting to lose hope of ever getting an email or a phone call, and with the office not answering this feeling is sinking in deep :( .

I wonder if there are still many IS waitlisters out there?

I wonder if there are still many IS waitlisters out there?[/QUOTE]

I'm an IS waitlister. I'm sure there's plenty of us waiting still.

I tried calling the office again today, and the voice mail picks up after two rings... I wonder what is going on.

On another note, as an IS applicant I am starting to lose hope of ever getting an email or a phone call, and with the office not answering this feeling is sinking in deep :( .

I wonder if there are still many IS waitlisters out there?

The same thing happened when I called. I'm getting the exact same feeling :( except I'm OOS :p

Keep your head up, guys. Find confidence not in getting in this summer, but just getting in sometime. Have faith in yourself as a doctor-in-the-making. Not all is lost if you have to wait longer than this summer. I'm waiting on Wayne State, but I will not be holding my breath. It may even be a blessing in disguise: that is the position which I am taking, at least. I'm submitting my AMCAS very soon and reapplying. I will go on vacation. I will enjoy my summer. You all should enjoy it, as well.

Keep your head up, guys. Find confidence not in getting in this summer, but just getting in sometime. Have faith in yourself as a doctor-in-the-making. Not all is lost if you have to wait longer than this summer. I'm waiting on Wayne State, but I will not be holding my breath. It may even be a blessing in disguise: that is the position which I am taking, at least. I'm submitting my AMCAS very soon and reapplying. I will go on vacation. I will enjoy my summer. You all should enjoy it, as well.

:thumbup: Have fun on vacation!

I know Dawn will be out of office till July 6 for sure. I sent an e-mail update and got the auto reply.

Congrats! You should become a Red Wings fan! At least they don't disappear come playoffs unlike a certain team in NorCal...:D

I was really hoping for Wayne State but was unfortunately rejected. Luckily for me I already had another acceptance. It's good to see that you and Sean got in. I think you guys were the most vocal supporters for Wayne State. Good luck with everything. :thumbup:

Hmmmmm I'm not much of a hockey or baseball fan...more of a soccer fan...so I don't know what team you are talking :oops: maybe the Sharks? They are the only one I know of hehehe....

Well it seems official since I got this email about ordering white coats and what not...so I feel like I didn't just dream it all up :laugh:

But still I don't have the nerve to withdraw my application from AMCAS...I feel like just in case something crazy happens. Wow that is pretty paranoid!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes. Hopefully some Canadians get accepted to other schools and pull off.

LOSAR, I have been following your posts for a while. As a fellow Canadian, I hope you hear something soon. I know that the application process can suck for Canadians. :)

Good Luck! :luck:

IS Waitlister as well. Waitlisted at MSU CHM too. GL to all!

Yay! I just got off the waitlist last week, and I am OOS.
I've been following the posts but never posted before.

I was wondering where I can get info about a good place to live around the school.
Any suggestions or recommendation? or anywhere else to ask?

I've never been to Detroit except the interview day so I def need help here!

Yay! I just got off the waitlist last week, and I am OOS.
I've been following the posts but never posted before.

I was wondering where I can get info about a good place to live around the school.

Join the facebook group: Wayne State University School of Medicine Class of 2014. There is alot of information there about places to live as well as people looking for roommates. There is also a google group that you can join with an excel sheet and people looking for roommates and places to live. A lot of students live in the Millender, or Studio One apartments or in Royal Oak if you want to live outside of detroit.

When I was planning on going to Wayne, I also had to find a place, sight unseen. I looked into a bunch of places and settled on Millender, which I thought was the nicest for the best price. I also liked StudioOne, but it was too expensive and already full for the Fall. The Kales was a close runner up to Millender, but I thought Millender looked just a bit nicer. Millender has a People Mover stop right in the building, which I thought was neat!

IS waitlisted.
3.72 GPA
30 O mcat

ps-10
vr-11
bs-9

research for a year and good ec's.
No word of an offer yet.
I called the office today, and they said there are only 12 people who have not put down a deposit, and most of those were from new offers. Im reapplying. Good luck people.

IS waitlisted.
3.72 GPA
30 O mcat

ps-10
vr-11
bs-9

research for a year and good ec's.
No word of an offer yet.
I called the office today, and they said there are only 12 people who have not put down a deposit, and most of those were from new offers. Im reapplying. Good luck people.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't putting down a deposit simply mean that you are reserving a seat in medical school and may still pull out if accepted somewhere else?

Anyone need housing still? I'll be a graduate student at Wayne (unless they magically pull me off the waitlist in the next 4 weeks) and I am looking for housing. Message me if you need a roommate.

Question for the other Canadian waitlisters. Have you submitted documentation that you can finance the costs of attending Wayne? I remember getting an e-mail about the due date for that, but I figured it would only be necessary if an offer was made. Now I'm wondering if the fact I haven't done this is hurting my chances of getting an offer.

Question for the other Canadian waitlisters. Have you submitted documentation that you can finance the costs of attending Wayne? I remember getting an e-mail about the due date for that, but I figured it would only be necessary if an offer was made. Now I'm wondering if the fact I haven't done this is hurting my chances of getting an offer.

I never got this email. Maybe you should call the office and ask about it? Good luck!

It came when they sent out their secondaries. It was an attachment called "Canadian form" that said a financial statement must be submitted to the office of admissions no later than April 30. I'll probably give them a call on Monday to find out what's up.

It came when they sent out their secondaries. It was an attachment called "Canadian form" that said a financial statement must be submitted to the office of admissions no later than April 30. I'll probably give them a call on Monday to find out what's up.

Oh I remember that now. I handed that in to the Admissions Office on the day of my interview. If you forgot to hand it in, I doubt it would make a big difference.

Wow OOS tuition is killer, I am seriously in debt now hehehe.

So did anyone not take the full amount in loans? I'm not sure what to do so I took the full amount.

Hey,
We are only required to submit that documentation once we are offered a spot.
Good luck!

Just a little update: I had written to Barbara two weeks ago about the waitlist and she just got back to me. She said that the list is still over a hundred people long and that rejections would not be sent until the second week of August. Best of luck everyone! (whether it is for this cycle or the next one) =)

Just a little update: I had written to Barbara two weeks ago about the waitlist and she just got back to me. She said that the list is still over a hundred people long and that rejections would not be sent until the second week of August. Best of luck everyone! (whether it is for this cycle or the next one) =)
Oh well, at least we will get some application feedback in a few weeks. And good luck MFC. I am also from Toronto and in a similar situation to yours.

Oh well, at least we will get some application feedback in a few weeks. And good luck MFC. I am also from Toronto and in a similar situation to yours.

Thanks! You too =)

Decision Day!

Looks like Lebron picked Miami, hopefully he'll withdraw his position off of the waiting list.... Hahaha

As an update, when I spoke with the ladies on the phone they said their was about 100 people left on the list and they expected about a handful of adjustments from here on out.

Called, they said about 3-4 more offers will be given from here on out. Good luck guys!

So out of those 100 waitlisted, only 3-4 will get accepted !!!
Those are some bad odds from here on out.
And regarding when they will be given out, that only depends on when people will withdraw their offers. It's not like they are saying that they have 3-4 spots open now, they are estimating how many people will still withdraw. So that number may vary alot, you never know. That is my guess btw, so I wouldn't trust it blindly :)

Last edited:
i agree,

they could possibly give out 8 to 10 positions, depending on how many people pull out. Remember 60 G's/year is a lot of money, so I wouldn't be surprised if more OOS pull out. I know a couple of my friends that are debating waiting a year because they think they could save well over 100 G's by getting into their in state schools.

anyhow, everyone keep your heads up! If it doesn't work out we'll just all apply again! (early)

i agree,

they could possibly give out 8 to 10 positions, depending on how many people pull out. Remember 60 G's/year is a lot of money, so I wouldn't be surprised if more OOS pull out. I know a couple of my friends that are debating waiting a year because they think they could save well over 100 G's by getting into their in state schools.

anyhow, everyone keep your heads up! If it doesn't work out we'll just all apply again! (early)

You could save over a 100 Gs but then again you are making 1 year less of a doctor's salary.

In addition the federal loans are very flexible and do not have a fixed number of years to pay back the loan. This is advantageous in that actually paying it back over a longer period of time is probably better due to inflation. In 20 years, 100G won't see like as much as it is now. Sure you are paying back more money but with inflation it won't be that big of a deal. Who knows? You might pay back 1 million dollars but by the time you do, medical school will probably cost 500k a year.

You could save over a 100 Gs but then again you are making 1 year less of a doctor's salary.

In addition the federal loans are very flexible and do not have a fixed number of years to pay back the loan. This is advantageous in that actually paying it back over a longer period of time is probably better due to inflation. In 20 years, 100G won't see like as much as it is now. Sure you are paying back more money but with inflation it won't be that big of a deal. Who knows? You might pay back 1 million dollars but by the time you do, medical school will probably cost 500k a year.

I think you missed the point of my post. It's just to stay positive and give some hope to the fellow waitlisters.

It's funny because you bring up some of the same points that I brought up to my friends. First off a little background info is necessary. They're canadians, accepted at wayne and on the waitlist at several ontario medical schools. Four years of just tuition is $68,000 in Cdn dollars for ontario medical schools. While tuition if they go to wayne state is about $66,000 per year in Cdn dollars. Using their rough numbers they said it works out to a little under $200,000 G's - - without considering interest. (Note: One of these guys was a finance major, so he loves to go into lot of depth and analysis.)

So I, like you said; hey but aren't you just giving up a year of income later down the road? The finance major said that if you NET PRESENT VALUE (NPV) $200,000 G's it's probably close to $300,000. Their arguement was that if you make an extra year of salary, you only clear about half of your salary thanks to old uncle sam. So $300,000 worth of additional debt is at a minimum a couple years of disposable income.... I'm sure a similar line of logic would apply for OOS in the U.S. but probably not nearly as dramatic. The key here is understanding that this is additional debt and that you eventhough you have an extra year of salary, the entire salary won't be dedicated to paying down the capital.

Once again the point of the original post was to stay positive and give hope to the fellow waitlisters, not to argue about the cost of medical school. Everyone has their own beliefs! and trust me part of me wouldn't mind if my buddies gave their positions up.

Now as a sidenote, you should probably get a better grasp of the concept inflation. Your use of it is a little suspect at best :)

Keep up hope everyone, I called on 7-7-10 and talked to Barb, and she told me that there were only going to be a few more offers made and that I should really start reapplying and studying to retake the MCAT because my numbers weren't that competitive...well, on 7-8-10 I got "the call" from Dawn offering me a spot! I was at the library studying when this happened...So keep up hope guys, you still have a few weeks left and there is always one person who doesn't show up to orientation and his/her spot is given to someone on the wait list!

By the way, here are my numbers:

OOS
9,9,9 MCAT
3.91 GPA (Science)

Good luck everyone still on the list !!!

Keep up hope everyone, I called on 7-7-10 and talked to Barb, and she told me that there were only going to be a few more offers made and that I should really start reapplying and studying to retake the MCAT because my numbers weren't that competitive...well, on 7-8-10 I got "the call" from Dawn offering me a spot! I was at the library studying when this happened...So keep up hope guys, you still have a few weeks left and there is always one person who doesn't show up to orientation and his/her spot is given to someone on the wait list!

OOS
9,9,9 MCAT
3.91 GPA (Science)

That's awesome! Congratulations =)

OOS
9,9,9 MCAT
3.91 GPA (Science)

Congrats! BTW your numbers looks better than mine :laugh:

Now to move to Detroit!

I think you missed the point of my post. It's just to stay positive and give some hope to the fellow waitlisters.

It's funny because you bring up some of the same points that I brought up to my friends. First off a little background info is necessary. They're canadians, accepted at wayne and on the waitlist at several ontario medical schools. Four years of just tuition is $68,000 in Cdn dollars for ontario medical schools. While tuition if they go to wayne state is about $66,000 per year in Cdn dollars. Using their rough numbers they said it works out to a little under $200,000 G's - - without considering interest. (Note: One of these guys was a finance major, so he loves to go into lot of depth and analysis.)

So I, like you said; hey but aren't you just giving up a year of income later down the road? The finance major said that if you NET PRESENT VALUE (NPV) $200,000 G's it's probably close to $300,000. Their arguement was that if you make an extra year of salary, you only clear about half of your salary thanks to old uncle sam. So $300,000 worth of additional debt is at a minimum a couple years of disposable income.... I'm sure a similar line of logic would apply for OOS in the U.S. but probably not nearly as dramatic. The key here is understanding that this is additional debt and that you eventhough you have an extra year of salary, the entire salary won't be dedicated to paying down the capital.

Once again the point of the original post was to stay positive and give hope to the fellow waitlisters, not to argue about the cost of medical school. Everyone has their own beliefs! and trust me part of me wouldn't mind if my buddies gave their positions up.

Now as a sidenote, you should probably get a better grasp of the concept inflation. Your use of it is a little suspect at best :)

I'm definitely not a finance major so I'm not really sure what I was talking about. But all I know is that medical school 30 years ago was probably not as expensive as now and doctors now probably make a lot more than they did 30 years ago as well.

I guess if people have a choice of reapplying than that i awesome. Me however, I don't think I'll do any better if I reapplied since my stats are not very competitive. So I have to take what I can get hehe.

Anyways I see your point of giving people hope. That is always important! No doubt some OOS students will withdraw since it is pretty pricey!

Good luck to you!

was getting final plans set to move to a different school when i got the news today that i was accepted off the waitlist.....now i gotta find somewhere to live in detroit...lol

Anyone know anything about the scholarships that were supposed to be awarded sometime in July?

Anyone know anything about the scholarships that were supposed to be awarded sometime in July?

No, but please do go on...were we supposed to somehow apply for the scholarships that are on the finaid site?

First year students don't need to apply for scholarships this year. First years are all automatically entered into the scholarship program and weighed by the admissions committee.

I know at least one individual that has been notified of a full tuition scholarship so at least some decisions have been made. More information should come next week.

i just called admissions, the woman i spoke to said that she does not anticipate handing out any more acceptances and the class is completely full still

ugh, this sucks!!

I can't remember if this was ever answered, but where can we see the 2010 match list? The website says it was supposed to be out in July...

Status
Not open for further replies.