2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I got an email regarding the acceptance, no phone call.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told the same when I interviewed in early March. I specifically recall the briefing before the interview informing us that the class was not yet full and that it is hard to gauge how much movement will come off of the wait list. In the last three years, anywhere from 50 to a single person was take off the UC for admission each year.

If anything, I am surprised that UC has not seen any movement yet, esp since we're already in April. This must mean more students are holding onto multiple acceptances until May 15 than in previous years. Isnt the UC list some sort of hybrid waitlist?

i interviewed late march. maybe by then it was full.

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Here is some info:

Submitted Secondary: Dec. 20th

Interview Invite: Feb 7th

Interview: Feb 16th

Placed into UC: Feb 24th

Accepted: April 7th! :)

I did not send any updates or a letter of interest. Hope that helps! Best of luck to all of you!

Congrats marie! I guess this means there is at least some hope of UC movement...fingers crossed! This waiting game is just awful...bleh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is a second look or when it would be?

There is no second look for Albany Med. You are free to come again and speak with students etc on your own but generally they just don't have time for a 2nd look (they do interviews until end of April and we finish school in early May).

The UC is not the waitlist. MANY students get pulled from the UC. I got pulled from the UC list. It's a wait list AFTER May 15 and that's when it really varies how many students get off. The UC list is basically their way of monitoring the number of students who get admitted. Here's how it was explained to me: Your interview, and application receive a numerical score at the committee meeting. If your cumulative score is above the current admit score- you're in (regardless of the time you interviewed). If you current score is below but above the reject cut off- you're UC. You get placed basically on a list and as the process continues they drop the admit score and those over the new lower score get admitted. It really does not matter when you interview at AMC- you have an equal chance. Just do well on your interview and do the best you can. If you have not interviewed yet, you can submit letters of update on the day of your interview to be added to your file. They will not tell you where you are on the UC list or on the waitlist and also will not tell you what your score is.

No updates are accepted. They get thrown in the trash if you submit them.

All correspondence from AMC comes via email- they say it during your interview.

If you have other questions, let me know. I'm a student at AMC. It's a rough process- you just have to get through the next few weeks (May is right around the corner!)

AMC says that they meet the Tuesday after your interview to discuss application and interview. I interviewed last Thursday but I haven't heard anything today. It makes me nervous! Is anybody else in the same boat?

There is no second look for Albany Med. You are free to come again and speak with students etc on your own but generally they just don't have time for a 2nd look (they do interviews until end of April and we finish school in early May).

The UC is not the waitlist. MANY students get pulled from the UC. I got pulled from the UC list. It's a wait list AFTER May 15 and that's when it really varies how many students get off. The UC list is basically their way of monitoring the number of students who get admitted. Here's how it was explained to me: Your interview, and application receive a numerical score at the committee meeting. If your cumulative score is above the current admit score- you're in (regardless of the time you interviewed). If you current score is below but above the reject cut off- you're UC. You get placed basically on a list and as the process continues they drop the admit score and those over the new lower score get admitted. It really does not matter when you interview at AMC- you have an equal chance. Just do well on your interview and do the best you can. If you have not interviewed yet, you can submit letters of update on the day of your interview to be added to your file. They will not tell you where you are on the UC list or on the waitlist and also will not tell you what your score is.

If you have other questions, let me know. I'm a student at AMC. It's a rough process- you just have to get through the next few weeks (May is right around the corner!)

Can you clarify what you mean by "no updates are accepted"? Do you mean that they only accept it if you bring it the day of the interview? I just sent them my transcript and update letter through snail mail, and it's been almost 3 weeks since I've been placed on the UC list. In the interview folder, they did say to "send all correspondence to" their address at 47 New Scotland Ave, Mail Code 3, etc. So I was assuming they would take it. Thanks.

so we should expect lots of UC movement soon? :)

AMC says that they meet the Tuesday after your interview to discuss application and interview. I interviewed last Thursday but I haven't heard anything today. It makes me nervous! Is anybody else in the same boat?

You should be hearing today. They generally meet Tuesdays and notify Wednesdays. Good luck!

No updates are taken except if they request it or you need to complete your file (ie grades at the end of a year, updated MCAT etc). Clarify with the school if you're unclear if you should or should not send anything. Basically they don't accept the "you're my first choice, I loved the interview etc" update- it doesn't change your file or score at all.

UC movement happens all year until May 15. I got off in April. I'd expect some movement especially leading up until May 15 as people decide on their school and release their other acceptances.

Thank you sir. I was about ready to give up hope. This is quite contrary to the info being thrown around in previous few pages. Misinformation on the internet? who'd have imagined.

Good luck to all the UC's and potential interviewees:luck:

You should be hearing today. They generally meet Tuesdays and notify Wednesdays. Good luck!

Thanks! I still haven't heard anything yet, but someone earlier in the thread said that they heard on Thursday, so we will see!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected outright! I'm a little shocked, since I thought I did pretty well at the interview. Must have said something bad? Funny how that works! Such is life, I guess.

Can anyone post the match list for 2011 or 2010?

I was also wondering why so many students were placed in residencies in Albany, according to the previously posted match list? Was that because they just happened to apply to residency programs in the area?

I also had a random question for current students. Is there a gym/laundry room in AMC, or any local gyms in the surrounding town?

Thanks!

Can anyone post the match list for 2011 or 2010?

I was also wondering why so many students were placed in residencies in Albany, according to the previously posted match list? Was that because they just happened to apply to residency programs in the area?

I also had a random question for current students. Is there a gym/laundry room in AMC, or any local gyms in the surrounding town?

Thanks!

I posted the 2011 match list, it's on the previous page or 2.

As for people staying in Albany for residency, you'll find that many people will do residency the same place they went to med school. There a number of reasons why this may be the case: family ties to the area, spouse/significant other has a good job, really liked a specific program and wanted to train in it are probably the big 3.

No laundry at AMC. There is a small gym currently in the basement, they're building a new one in one of the new buildings going in across the street from the hospital (you may have noticed at interview there is a ton of construction going on right now). There are a few gyms in the area. Unfortunately the local YMCA closed, but students use the school gym, Best Fitness, Jewish Community Center, Bally's (a little farther out).

The UC is not the waitlist. MANY students get pulled from the UC. I got pulled from the UC list. It's a wait list AFTER May 15 and that's when it really varies how many students get off. The UC list is basically their way of monitoring the number of students who get admitted. Here's how it was explained to me: Your interview, and application receive a numerical score at the committee meeting. If your cumulative score is above the current admit score- you're in (regardless of the time you interviewed). If you current score is below but above the reject cut off- you're UC. You get placed basically on a list and as the process continues they drop the admit score and those over the new lower score get admitted. It really does not matter when you interview at AMC- you have an equal chance. Just do well on your interview and do the best you can.

Thanks for breaking it down! I'm going to remain optimistic about my UC status:xf:. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Just checking - Albany won't take any kind of updates/interest letters once on the UC list? Is there anyway to show them that we are still very interested or should I just wait it out?

Just checking - Albany won't take any kind of updates/interest letters once on the UC list? Is there anyway to show them that we are still very interested or should I just wait it out?

From what I gather, its a "just wait it out" situation...

As I said earlier- I know for a fact that all updates are thrown away once you are on the UC list. They don't have the time to reevaluate you after your interview and your place on the UC list remains permanent at this time.

anyone hear back from the 4/14 interview date? i thought they were responding the following week...

is there a thread or facebook group for accepted students who are set on going here?

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to those who are waiting!
As an MS4, I will let you guys know these 4 years go by sooo quickly!

I have a friend graduating this year and searching for a subletter with the option to renew a lease:
Hello,
I am a fourth year looking to sublet or have an incoming student/resident take over my lease in the Stonehenge complex.

-Lindsey MacFarlane

Large 2 bedroom unit in Stonehenge gardens. All hardwood floors with lots of sun. Rent is $1010/mo with heat and hot water included. Garage parking available ($30/mo I believe). The complex is quiet and close to a pond/park with a short commute to AMC. My roommate and I will be leaving as of June 1st but move in dates are negotiable. We are looking for a sublet, but the lease can be taken over as of Aug 31st. I can be reached at [email protected], pictures on request. We have loved living there and the complex prefers renting to residents.

Last edited:
Has anyone started looking for housing yet? Are you using craigslist or the housing list that AMC has?

^med.

and thanks!

Just did the webadvisor financial aid application, I left so many things blank O.O

got pulled off UC today, first acceptance, woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sooooo awesome

Congrats to all! Looks like there's hope for getting pulled off the UC list after all...hope my day comes too ^_^

Got accepted a couple days ago, and just got the packet in the mail. I'm a little freaked out, because it says that they have to receive our response within 5 days of the date of the acceptance letter.

Well the letter is dated 5/2...so 5 days would be 5/7, but I just recived it today (5/5). There's no way they really expect that of us right?

It's already 5:00 in NY so i can't call the office today. Someone please calm me down.

Got accepted a couple days ago, and just got the packet in the mail. I'm a little freaked out, because it says that they have to receive our response within 5 days of the date of the acceptance letter.

Well the letter is dated 5/2...so 5 days would be 5/7, but I just recived it today (5/5). There's no way they really expect that of us right?

It's already 5:00 in NY so i can't call the office today. Someone please calm me down.

Don't worry, I had the same situation. Just send it out ASAP and call the admissions office to let them know that you sent out the response form. They're aware of this issue.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I wish the best of luck to the UC crew.

wow such high mcats, and you guys got UC listed too?? mehh.. nj btw :)

Don't worry, I had the same situation. Just send it out ASAP and call the admissions office to let them know that you sent out the response form. They're aware of this issue.

Thanks!

Congrats to you all!!! Especially if this is your first acceptance, then you're IN. Done. You're gonna make it all the way to your US MD and a US residency. My stats are 3.66, 3.8 grad and 35R, one publication in J of Asthma and another pending, but NO acceptance so far :(. Might have to go to a Caribbean school (St. George's). I'm just wondering, when did you guys interview (pbelur, Epic and jsnapple)? I interviewed at Albany on 3/31, am UC'd right now...

congrats to you all!!! Especially if this is your first acceptance, then you're in. Done. You're gonna make it all the way to your us md and a us residency. My stats are 3.66, 3.8 grad and 35r, one publication in j of asthma and another pending, but no acceptance so far :(. Might have to go to a caribbean school (st. George's). I'm just wondering, when did you guys interview (pbelur, epic and jsnapple)? I interviewed at albany on 3/31, am uc'd right now...

3/24

Congrats to you all!!! Especially if this is your first acceptance, then you're IN. Done. You're gonna make it all the way to your US MD and a US residency. My stats are 3.66, 3.8 grad and 35R, one publication in J of Asthma and another pending, but NO acceptance so far :(. Might have to go to a Caribbean school (St. George's). I'm just wondering, when did you guys interview (pbelur, Epic and jsnapple)? I interviewed at Albany on 3/31, am UC'd right now...

Thank you. I interviewed on 3/10. What other ECs do you have? I can't imagine you not getting in somewhere with those stats. How many schools did you apply to? Any waitlists?

I'll be opting out of AMC for my state school in a day or two. Hopefully that makes a place for someone here. Goodluck everyone.

Thank you. I interviewed on 3/10. What other ECs do you have? I can't imagine you not getting in somewhere with those stats. How many schools did you apply to? Any waitlists?

Well I played it fairly safe and applied to about 23 schools (making sure that they'll consider Cali residents, of course). I've done some medically interesting things, such as incontinence care in a hospital, working as an EMT-B, and a lot of work as a study coordinator for a pulmonary clinical trials laboratory. I personally enjoy teaching, so I was a TA for metabolic biochem and marine bio, did some tutoring in an underserved community, and mentored a teen from a gang area. Right now I'm kind of chilling out and leading a youth group at my church. I'm waitlisted at Case Western and Saint Louis U.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.