2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
alternate list email as well!

Same email, but the website won't let me accept the offer. Admissions office by phone said keep retrying the site. Did it work for any of you?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same email, but the website won't let me accept the offer. Admissions office by phone said keep retrying the site. Did it work for any of you?

I had emailed them and they said it would be working in an hour...but that was almost 2 hours ago, and it's still not working. Bah.

Not working for me either, ill try again in a couple hours

Members don't see this ad :)
2 days ago, I was rejected from the UC list. So no alternate list email for me. Yikes. At this point, I only have Temple waitlist left. 3 cheers for reapplication.

Alternate list as well, I was able to submit the form this morning. No acceptances yet, just the Albany wait list and Hofstra's wait list (non-preferred). Looks like I'll be spending my summer anxiously waiting it out!

Alternate list as well, I was able to submit the form this morning. No acceptances yet, just the Albany wait list and Hofstra's wait list (non-preferred). Looks like I'll be spending my summer anxiously waiting it out!

Same here. Submitted it this morning, looks like it's up and running. I've just got Albany, so I hope it works out! I wonder how likely it is that there will be movement...

Same here. Submitted it this morning, looks like it's up and running. I've just got Albany, so I hope it works out! I wonder how likely it is that there will be movement...

At this point, movements are becoming more rare,but it will happen before school starts in Aug... so in short, yes there will be movements... maybe 5 spots at the most.

At this point, movements are becoming more rare,but it will happen before school starts in Aug... so in short, yes there will be movements... maybe 5 spots at the most.

What are you basing that number on?

D'oh. Looks like the end of the road for me - alternate response list.

AMCAS for next year is already verified - let's hope it goes better in 2012.

How much of an hassle is parking at the actual medical center? I'm trying to decide how 'worth it' it would be to be within walking distance of the school. Also, for if I do decide to live a few miles away, how good are the busses?

I know this was answered on my interview day, but I have forgotten :rolleyes:

Withdrew my acceptance...hopefully this leads to a really nice email for one of you next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
How much of an hassle is parking at the actual medical center? I'm trying to decide how 'worth it' it would be to be within walking distance of the school. Also, for if I do decide to live a few miles away, how good are the busses?

I'm also wondering about parking at AMC.

A new parking garage recently opened, but I don't know if this will change parking for students at all. For us, we were given free permits to park in the uncovered lots that were about a quarter to a half mile from the hospital. There are frequent shuttles that run from the lots to the med center. A lot of people used this, and hopefully with the new garage the lots won't fill up as fast. The parking garage was open to students after 4pm (I think) and on weekends. Again, don't know if this will change at all with all the construction going on.

As for the buses: I lived fairly close to the 13 which runs along New Scotland (the street the school is on) and stops directly in front of the hospital. I took this a fair amount and it was pretty easy, but if you had to transfer it would be a pain. There are no transfers given, you have to pay a new fare each time you get on a bus, and this isn't NYC or SF, the buses just don't run that frequently so having to take 2 buses would be a major pain. Also, the first bus was a little after 6, so not feasible on surgery or OB/GYN rotations 3rd year and possibly a few 4th year rotations.

If you live close enough to walk or bike I think you'll be happy. A short drive isn't bad as parking seems to be improving.

I was accepted off the UC list yesterday. Unfortunately or fortunately, will not be attending. Just a heads up to anyone curious about UC movement...

Definitely good to know that there is still movement. I'm hoping it reaches me, I really want to go to AMC!

I Really don't want to sound bitter, but I wish people on the waitlist, who know that they will not be attending if they are accepted, would simply withdraw beforehand.
I think it would be beneficial to those who do intend to go. The waiting can be rather nerve racking, and people who do that just prolong the whole experience.

Good luck to those still waiting. I am also on the alternate list (along with being waitlisted at many other schools) No acceptances yet.

I Really don't want to sound bitter, but I wish people on the waitlist, who know that they will not be attending if they are accepted, would simply withdraw beforehand.
I think it would be beneficial to those who do intend to go. The waiting can be rather nerve racking, and people who do that just prolong the whole experience.

Good luck to those still waiting. I am also on the alternate list (along with being waitlisted at many other schools) No acceptances yet.

I completely understand where you're coming from and I wasn't 100% certain that I wasn't going to Albany so I didn't withdraw earlier...

I think there was some last week...so maybe there will be some this week :xf:

How are people getting pulled off of alternate list? E-mail?

Did anyone get an email confirmation after they signed up for the alternate list on the alternate response form? I'm paranoid haha.

Did anyone get an email confirmation after they signed up for the alternate list on the alternate response form? I'm paranoid haha.

I was paranoid too so I emailed them asking if they got it, and they emailed me back. If you're wondering and want to make sure, just email Admissions, they'll respond pretty quickly.

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I withdrew from AMC today -- hope one of you gets in!!

Good luck.

Accepted to SUNY Upstate (Bing) 2 days after AMC. Just sent my withdrawal notice to AMC. Best of luck, everybody!

Just got accepted this morning! E-mail notification on phone= epic way to wake up to an acceptance :)

I really hope I have a chance from the waitlist at Albany Medical College I really loved the school. Did anyone who got accepted off the waitlist send the school any letters of interest? Thanks a lot!

I really hope I have a chance from the waitlist at Albany Medical College I really loved the school. Did anyone who got accepted off the waitlist send the school any letters of interest? Thanks a lot!

Well, after getting a crazy feeling that I should check my email, I did and found that I had been ACCEPTED. I am so happy. My first acceptance for the cycle!!

I had sent an update letter one week from last Friday. I really think that got me on their radar again!!

I am so happy, I can't stop smiling.

o yeah, interview 3/23
waitlisted 2 weeks later
accepted: 6/28

Oh, one more thing, can someone please advise about the deposit check. Do I have to mail it in, or can it be done online?

Last edited:
I had sent an update letter one week from last Friday. I really think that got me on their radar again!!

Hmmm, I thought they didn't accept update letters. Did they send you an e-mail saying they would add it to your file?

Hmmm, I thought they didn't accept update letters. Did they send you an e-mail saying they would add it to your file?

Seeing the post before yours, I submitted one (I had been debating whether or not to send one for a while now because I was under the belief that they wouldn't look at update letters) and Admissions emailed me back within the hour saying they had added it to my file. I'm not entirely sure what it'll do for me, but it can't hurt I guess!

Seeing the post before yours, I submitted one (I had been debating whether or not to send one for a while now because I was under the belief that they wouldn't look at update letters) and Admissions emailed me back within the hour saying they had added it to my file. I'm not entirely sure what it'll do for me, but it can't hurt I guess!

I submitted two update letters, one in February and one in March. I'm not sure if they helped, but they didn't hurt.

As previous posters have mentioned, admissions ranks you based on a point scale (say out of 5 points) that the committee assigns you. As the admissions season goes along and people withdraw, AMC lowers the minimum point level needed for admissions (i.e. from >3.0 for acceptance to >2.7).

AMC does not take any updates. I have since withdrew but I was told multiple times by AMC Admissions and my friend who goes there that they don't accept any updates. Post interview, your "grade" remains the same and they lower their threshold of acceptance grade as more spots open. I remember emailing them an update in Feb and I got a response saying they don't take updates. I really wouldn't waste time sending anything.

Good luck!

Congrats to those accepted!

I was a Cali transplant to Albany in 2007. I had a great time at AMC. I am now a Cardiology fellow.

Anyway, I am writing to help out my ex-landlord. In fact, I still stay in-touch with him after 4 years. He is very chill and helpful if needed.

He has a great two bedroom apartments for rent on New Scotland Ave, which are walking distance to AMC (very helpful in snowy winters). Its remodeled, clean, and heat included. One piece of advice, be careful with apartments in Albany, some are too old, too small, or in shady area. These apartments are in nice and safe area.

if you guys are interested, email me at [email protected], I can answer any questions and/or pass info along.

Again congrats. You will have a great time believe me.

Got taken off alternate list!!

Is there some sort of active facebook group/ thread going on for this year's class?

Thanks bud. Saw like 2 others with few people, so thought it was kinda shady.
Has anyone looked into gyms? do we have access to one as a student?

Hi guys,
My ex-landlord has a 2 bedroom apartment rent. Heat included. Off street parking available. Email me if interested. 5 min walk to amc (I am serious about this). My landlord is showing the place, but you can view it another time if you are interested.

[email protected].

Congrats to all.

Hi guys,
My ex-landlord has a 2 bedroom apartment rent. Heat included. Off street parking available. Email me if interested. 5 min walk to amc (I am serious about this). My landlord is showing the place, but you can view it another time if you are interested.

[email protected].

Congrats to all.

you dont happen to know of any 1 beds near campus do you?

you dont happen to know of any 1 beds near campus do you?

I think I just got one. Dude seems legit-ish, maybe a little slow to respond to my phone calls, but if you want I can give you his number. I may have gotten real lucky because the one i found was 795 icl all utilities 5 mins away from campus with off street parking! We were just walking around and he called us over and said he had a place. I didn't ask if he had other similar ones but he owns a bunch of buildings so maybe. Craig's list has a bunch but they were far away or a little more expensive. keep checking though, they exist.

:luck:

Just got accepted off waitlist!!! Any suggestions for housing and rooming??

Congratulations! It's good to know that there is still a chance. I'm still anxiously waiting on the alternate list, and hoping for some good news soon.

Just to answer the question above- there is a new gym opening at AMC that will be open and free for students. Many students currently belong to gyms in the Albany area which are super cheap ($20 a month) for classes, a pool etc.

If you have other questions at AMC let me know!

Accepted off the alternate list!!! I can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of weeks! Good luck to everyone still on the alternate list!

Hey Congrats to those recently accepted! Can I ask how people are being notified at this point? Is it still email and/or now phone call

Congratulations to the recently accepted!

I am first year looking for someone to share a 3 bedroom apartment with another 3rd year AMC student. The apartment has lots of space and is super close to the school. The whole house is occupied by medical students so you will have nice company. (Warren street). Email me if interested - [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.