2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted off UC list today!! Yay :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So . . . can I anyone predict how this is all going to go down?

The 15th (judgment day, of sorts) is Sunday. Do we think AMC is going to end the UC list movement on the preceding Friday (the 13th - how fitting), or wait until after the 15th to issue the final round of cuts, for what would ultimately compose the waitlist?

I imagine, just as a result of the vagaries of mail and response times for recent applicants, there might (read: might) be UC list movement after the 15th.

I must say, however, my hope is dwindling, especially with my stats.

I've already begun the 2012 app and took the MCAT about three weeks ago :eek:.

Well I played it fairly safe and applied to about 23 schools (making sure that they'll consider Cali residents, of course). I've done some medically interesting things, such as incontinence care in a hospital, working as an EMT-B, and a lot of work as a study coordinator for a pulmonary clinical trials laboratory. I personally enjoy teaching, so I was a TA for metabolic biochem and marine bio, did some tutoring in an underserved community, and mentored a teen from a gang area. Right now I'm kind of chilling out and leading a youth group at my church. I'm waitlisted at Case Western and Saint Louis U.

Dude you'll get in to one of these schools. I'd wager money on it.

So . . . can I anyone predict how this is all going to go down?

The 15th (judgment day, of sorts) is Sunday. Do we think AMC is going to end the UC list movement on the preceding Friday (the 13th - how fitting), or wait until after the 15th to issue the final round of cuts, for what would ultimately compose the waitlist?

I imagine, just as a result of the vagaries of mail and response times for recent applicants, there might (read: might) be UC list movement after the 15th.

I must say, however, my hope is dwindling, especially with my stats.

I've already begun the 2012 app and took the MCAT about three weeks ago :eek:.

From interview day, I remember them saying that "under consideration" becomes the waitlist on May 15th (13th, whatever...). I don't think there will be any more cuts.

Can anybody confirm this? Have there been any post-interview rejections?

From interview day, I remember them saying that "under consideration" becomes the waitlist on May 15th (13th, whatever...). I don't think there will be any more cuts.

Can anybody confirm this? Have there been any post-interview rejections?

I saw upstream in the thread somewhere that there will be a mass cull of UC list candidates around the 15th, leaving the remaining surviving 30% to the waitlist.

There have indeed been post-interview rejections. Some folks, sadly, have confirmed such in the thread.

I also, saw, too upstream that between May 15 and June 1 they will reject people. Truthfully, I'm not really sure what is happening, except, I'm planning for next year (haha - sad laugh).

Perhaps someone else has more current info.

I saw upstream in the thread somewhere that there will be a mass cull of UC list candidates around the 15th, leaving the remaining surviving 30% to the waitlist.

There have indeed been post-interview rejections. Some folks, sadly, have confirmed such in the thread.

I also, saw, too upstream that between May 15 and June 1 they will reject people. Truthfully, I'm not really sure what is happening, except, I'm planning for next year (haha - sad laugh).

Perhaps someone else has more current info.

LOL I SAD LAUGH ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT :laugh::(

Officially withdrew today. Good luck everyone

So . . . is today judgment day?

Part of me is still keeping a shred of hope alive that I may actually get into medical school this year (remember - it's a shred). :eek:

So . . . is today judgment day?

Part of me is still keeping a shred of hope alive that I may actually get into medical school this year (remember - it's a shred). :eek:

I think it is this Sunday, so technically, at least for Albany, I heard its Monday.

I think it is this Sunday, so technically, at least for Albany, I heard its Monday.

Fantastic. I can keep hope alive until Monday, and then get my new MCAT score on Tuesday, where my hopes can either be doubly-dashed, or I may realize I might actually get into med school next year. Haha. ;)

Thanks for the infoz.

For those of you who are moving to Albany, when are you planning to do so?

I got the card in the mail with the academic schedule, but it didn't say when orientation begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are moving to Albany, when are you planning to do so?

I got the card in the mail with the academic schedule, but it didn't say when orientation begins.
http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/Faqs.html

When do classes start?
For admission in 2011, orientation and registration (both mandatory) will be on August 10 & August 11. Monday, August 15 will be the first day of classes. Dates for admission in 2012 will be announced.

hope that helps :)

http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/Faqs.html

When do classes start?
For admission in 2011, orientation and registration (both mandatory) will be on August 10 & August 11. Monday, August 15 will be the first day of classes. Dates for admission in 2012 will be announced.

hope that helps :)

Upon opening that link, two things immediately came to mind:

1. "Undergraduate Medical Education"?
2. "Tuition for 2011 is $50,155." *passes out*

Nevertheless, answered my question. Thank you!

Upon opening that link, two things immediately came to mind:

1. "Undergraduate Medical Education"?
2. "Tuition for 2011 is $50,155." *passes out*

Nevertheless, answered my question. Thank you!
yeah it seems like they refer to residency/fellowships as the "graduate medical education"

If anyone on the UC list is wondering exactly what the policy is (because I sure was):

"As the admission season and interview process progresses (from September through April), we are able to utilize the 'under consideration' category as needed, to offer acceptances through May 15th.

In June, all applicants remaining in the 'under consideration' category will be given final designations according to final cut-off scores. The 'under consideration' category may ultimately result in an offer of acceptance, being placed on the alternate list, or not being accepted."

So basically, June is where we really find out our fate. I got this directly from the application system website FAQ section, which you have access to once you receive an invitation for an interview.

Good luck everyone!

If anyone on the UC list is wondering exactly what the policy is (because I sure was):

"As the admission season and interview process progresses (from September through April), we are able to utilize the 'under consideration' category as needed, to offer acceptances through May 15th.

In June, all applicants remaining in the 'under consideration' category will be given final designations according to final cut-off scores. The 'under consideration' category may ultimately result in an offer of acceptance, being placed on the alternate list, or not being accepted."

So basically, June is where we really find out our fate. I got this directly from the application system website FAQ section, which you have access to once you receive an invitation for an interview.

Good luck everyone!

I heard that by the end of this week only the top 1/3, as someone else stated, of the UC list will remain and go to a waiting list from which, if spots open up, they will be offered a spot. Hopefully we make that top 1/3 and get an offer soon:xf:.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
-Bill Cosby

Got the email acceptance this morning! OOS from California. Good luck everyone!

Got the email acceptance this morning! OOS from California. Good luck everyone!

+1!! 3.27/33T, rest of the stats/details are on MDapps if you're curious.

Also, when I last emailed admissions a couple days ago, they confirmed that everyone still waiting will hear one way or the other via email in June - either you will have been accepted ahead of that, or you will be put on the alternate list, or you will get rejected. The alternate list follows the same ranking based on your score from the post-interview meeting and no updates will be accepted.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Do any current students know of someone subletting an apartment near the school? I've just started the housing search and it'd be nice to hear some options here.

how long did they give you to decide if you are attending?

how long did they give you to decide if you are attending?

5 days from the date on the official acceptance letter. But if you need more time to make an informed decision, communicate with the admissions department; they are pretty amenable to giving newly accepted applicants a little more time to think things over.

I will be withdrawing tomorrow. I was having a hard time deciding between AMC and another school; was leaning towards AMC until the other school offered a pretty generous scholarship. I wish you all the best of luck :luck:

+1!! 3.27/33T, rest of the stats/details are on MDapps if you're curious.

Also, when I last emailed admissions a couple days ago, they confirmed that everyone still waiting will hear one way or the other via email in June - either you will have been accepted ahead of that, or you will be put on the alternate list, or you will get rejected. The alternate list follows the same ranking based on your score from the post-interview meeting and no updates will be accepted.

SallySparrow, I was super happy for you when I read this! I knew this was your only interview because I've followed your MDApps for a while (lol), and we had the same interview day. I hope my day comes soon too, but I've had no luck, so I've been planning all my activities for next year and filling out new AMCAS/TMDSAS.. so yeah. Congrats!

hello. i was wondering if anybody could post the complete prompt for the secondary essays with character count. thank you! <3.

SallySparrow, I was super happy for you when I read this! I knew this was your only interview because I've followed your MDApps for a while (lol), and we had the same interview day. I hope my day comes soon too, but I've had no luck, so I've been planning all my activities for next year and filling out new AMCAS/TMDSAS.. so yeah. Congrats!

Aw, thanks=) UCR, right? I remember ya. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - I too had just started to fill out the 2012 app and make postbacc arrangements for next year.... so maybe that's all it takes;) In all seriousness, I do imagine the waitlists will be moving now that it's post May 15, so it's not over yet. And if you do need to go into another cycle, you're doing it smarter and earlier this time, and remember you go in with the confidence that you had several interviews, so you definitely are competitive and schools are interested in you.

@Rosalind - No guarantees for this cycle yet, but the prompt for Albany the past few years has been short and sweet - see post #14 on page 1. Tell us about yourself (1000 characters) and list the most important thing you want to talk about if interviewed (160 characters). Also a reapp essay (1000 char) if applicable.

Just got into a school in my home state so I'll be withdrawing soon. Does anybody know how this works. Since its after May 15, do I have to withdraw from here before sending in my deposit to the other school.

And what do i have to do to withdraw...just call the admissions office or send in a written statement?

Just got into a school in my home state so I'll be withdrawing soon. Does anybody know how this works. Since its after May 15, do I have to withdraw from here before sending in my deposit to the other school.

And what do i have to do to withdraw...just call the admissions office or send in a written statement?

Just officially withdrew today.

In my humble opinion, I would accept the offer of admission at/send the deposit to the state school first. Once that is in place and everything is squared away, then withdraw from AMC (obviously don't wait a long time to transition 'cause there's some folks waiting anxiously to get your spot). PM me if you'd like. Good luck, buddy! :)

Definitely send the deposit in first and confirm your new enrollment before withdrawing. It's past May 15 now, so schools will make an exception for acceptances resulting in holding multiple spots, such as from waitlists.

To withdraw, you should send a written correspondence (email or mail). You can call as well, but schools want written proof that you intend to withdraw.

Hey guys,

Do any current students know of someone subletting an apartment near the school? I've just started the housing search and it'd be nice to hear some options here.
I'm curious about that too - also, is there a fb group to join? Might be an easy way to find ppl to share an apt with!

Hey,

The housing list is officially held by the office of student affairs. You can contact them for more details-but it often has roommate listings as well as apartment listings.

" The Office of Academic & Student Affairs maintains a listing of housing available in the community. The housing list are updated weekly and available to students on Sakai. Students are also welcome to come into our office and look through the listings, or request that copies be mailed to them. Office staff is available to answer questions and offer suggestions, Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 4:30 pm., 518/262-6354.

In addition to off campus listings, the Office of Academic & Student Affairs maintains a separate listing for roommates. You may list yourself as having no apartment and needing one, or having an apartment and needing a roommate. Please contact our office for a roommate listing form."

Generally most students live in the Pine hills neighborhood off of AMC between S. Lake (West side) S. Main (East side), New scotland (South) and Madison (North). I'd recommend living closer to New Scotland than Madison though as there are many more college students living towards the Madison side of Pine Hills (see SUNY Albany riots youtube). In fact there are a bunch of places right off of South Lake that offer affordable options for students. I'd avoid living in areas like Arbor Hill. Also the neighborhoods to the South of New Scotland Avenue and down towards St. Peters are very nice. Occasionally students live off of Lark street but there isn't a ton of parking down there and you may have quite a walk to school. Try out padmapper.com for a bunch of apartment listings all in one place. You can even enter how far you are willing to walk from AMC (47 New scotland ave) for your apartment hunt radius.

If you are not from the area (I was not from here) I would come see the apartments before you sign a lease. There are some not nice place to live in Albany.... If you can't come, consider finding a roommate who can do the apartment hunting for you. If you have questions let me know.

Hi all, I posted this earlier, but I guess no one has been looking for housing yet. I have a friend who is a graduating 4th year looking to sublet her 2br apartment starting in June (though the move-in date is flexible) Here is her post:

Hello,
I am a fourth year looking to sublet or have an incoming student take over my lease in the Stonehenge complex.

Large 2 bedroom unit in Stonehenge gardens. All hardwood floors with lots of sun. Rent is $1010/mo with heat and hot water included. Garage parking available ($30/mo I believe). The complex is quiet and close to a pond/park with a short commute to AMC. My roommate and I will be leaving as of June 1st but move in dates are negotiable. We are looking for a sublet, but the lease can be taken over as of Aug 31st. I can be reached at [email protected], pictures on request. We have loved living there and the complex has many medical students and residents living there.

- Lindsey MacFarlane

Accepted Today! Good luck to everyone waiting. Hang in there!

Officially withdrew today. Good luck everyone!

Hey all,

Which email address do I contact about getting the housing listings?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I withdrew as well. It was a difficult decision but I hope the spot goes to someone more deserving! Good luck everyone!

Accepted off the UC list today!
3.6, 30 MCAT
10 top liberal arts

I was also accepted off the UC list today. It's not over yet everyone!
Anyway, off to my room to ponder Albany vs SUNY Downstate.

Accepted as of this morning! Can't wait to start!

3.5/ 33Q

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
-Bill Cosby

Accepted Today and so super excited!!! Good luck to everyone!

Hey, everyone! I withdrew my acceptance today, so there's at least 1 more seat out there available for those still waiting. I'm personally still hoping for some NYU love, but that's another story. Good luck!!!

I also withdrew yesterday. In-state tuition is too tempting.
Good luck everyone! Albany is a great school.

Got in from OOS! Waitlist is still moving, g'luck to all!

Just got the alternate list email. As of right now, the class is full. Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring and hope for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.