2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think thats how it works based on the earlier posts in the thread. Accepted and UC seemed to get responses at the same time. I'm waiting for a response as well from last week.

i also interviewed recently haven't heard back yet. i thought they said they were caught up with paperwork and what not...have you tried calling the office? on a related note, next week is spring break at Albany. I wonder if the committee meets over breaks, if not, it will be a very long week.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess it was a bit busy with Match Week last week, but the admissions emails are out now.
+1 on the UC list~

Members don't see this ad :)
uc list as well. damn it, why can't someone just accept me already..? better than rejection i suppose.

Anyone know the most economically friendly way to get to AMC from NYC?

thanks.

Interview on Wednesday.:xf:

thanks.

If you don't want to drive, you could take a bus from port authority to Albany bus terminal and then take a taxi to the hospital. The hospital is probably 15 minutes away from the terminal.

Hello guys, I am new to SDN. I have been reading the threads but had not joined or posted anything yet.

I will now begin to contribute :). BTW I was added to the UC list today as well.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
-Bill Cosby

One thing I'm curious about is that when score for determining acceptance is lowered, does that apply only to those under consideration? Or do initial acceptances also get easier to get as time goes on? I ask this because it seems like less instant acceptances are given later.

One thing I'm curious about is that when score for determining acceptance is lowered, does that apply only to those under consideration? Or do initial acceptances also get easier to get as time goes on? I ask this because it seems like less instant acceptances are given later.

I think it will apply only to those UC, it doesnt really seem fair or make sense that the later you interview, the lower the expectations you need to meet for an acceptance. Just from scanning through recent posts, it seems that acceptances are harder to come by, no easier. Everyone seems to go to UC status. So, I dont think they will lower the score until all the interviews are done. After all, no one this year (well at least no one on SDN) has gotten off the UC list yet.

I dont remember the number but does anyone know how many people are placed under consideration? I know that approx 600 pple interview for 90ish spots. We can probably assume that over the course of the interview season, they will accept 200-300pple (either immediately or off the waitlist until the class is full) but I wonder how many people are actually placed on this list.

To those waiting, good luck!

https://connect.amc.edu/p35037509/

This is 2 years old, but it shows how many acceptances vs matriculations at 0:46 from 2003-2009. I'd think that the majority of initial acceptances don't matriculate based on the total acceptances. Thus it seems like >50% of interviewers are placed on UC. So at least 330 or so.

Hello,
I have a quick question to ask.
For those who received interview, did you receive 'background check' e-mail from AMCAS before you get the invitation?

My brother is currently finishing SMP, and he got email from Certiphi to do the background check because one or more schools who participated in this program have placed him for waitlist or conditional acceptance.

Out of few schools he applied, only AMC has not yet rejected him. The thing is that he didn't receive the invitation for an interview as of yet. So, we were just curious if background check was done before the interview or after the interview.

Thanks for your time.

-edit-
this was the content of e-mail. It doesn't say which school is asking for it.

-You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements-

Last edited:
Folks - I am one of the graduating MS4s @ AMC. Feel free to email me with q's. I recommend The Inn on South Lake as the place to stay for interviews. It's a nice place and right across from the school - less than 5 minutes walk to where interviews take place.

thanks.

There's the megabus (a double-decker bus with wifi). It's $40 a ticket.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
For those who received interview, did you receive 'background check' e-mail from AMCAS before you get the invitation?

My brother is currently finishing SMP, and he got email from Certiphi to do the background check because one or more schools who participated in this program have placed him for waitlist or conditional acceptance.

Out of few schools he applied, only AMC has not yet rejected him. The thing is that he didn't receive the invitation for an interview as of yet. So, we were just curious if background check was done before the interview or after the interview.

Thanks for your time.

I thought background check is generally performed after initial acceptance... I did not receive the background check notification until I was accepted to a medical school (not AMC)... so I am not sure if this applies to AMC. Hope this helps. :luck:

Hello,

I interviewed and am under consideration but did not receive a background check email at any time. (And this is the only school I interviewed at.) Must be another school or something sent by mistake? Unless somehow AMC did a background check on me without triggering this email...

I am on the UC list at Albany and also have another waitlist but I haven't gotten this background check email yet. I think they are sent after an initial acceptance? I hope so, b/c if they are sent to waitlisted students and I haven't gotten one yet.... not a good sign.

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

-edit-
this was the content of e-mail. It doesn't say which school is asking for it.

-You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements-

I am also under the UC list at Albany but have not received any backgrouund check email. I believe, if I remember correctly, the only email I received with any in information about that was when I first submitted my primaries. But that one was just general information about certiphi.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
-Bill Cosby

Quick question, did anyone that was invited to interview speak with the director of admissions before you were invited to interview?

Quick question, did anyone that was invited to interview speak with the director of admissions before you were invited to interview?

No, I never spoke with the director.

Does anybody have the AMC match list? Can't seem to find this online. Thanks! :)

No, I never spoke with the director.

Does anybody have the AMC match list? Can't seem to find this online. Thanks! :)

Here ya go, I'm not putting up the PDF b/c everyone's names are on there, but this is all the specialties and locations. For people who matched into both a prelim and advanced program, I just put their main program and left off the prelim. Enjoy

Anesthesiology
Albany Med
Albany Med
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Cornell
Mass General
Mt. Sinai
Penn St
St Joseph's Regional Med Ctr, Paterson, NJ
St. Elizabeths Med Ctr, Boston
Stony Brook
U of Buffalo
U of Michigan
University of Rochester, NY
Yale
Emergency
Albany Med
Albany Med
Albany Med
Albany Med
North Shore Manhasset, NY
North Shore Manhasset, NY
Pitt County Memorial Hospital, Greenville, NC
St Lukes-Roosevelt, NYC
Staten Island University Hospital
Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook, NY
UCSF
UCSF-Fresno
University of Maryland
University of Pittsburgh
ENT
Albany Med
Boston U
NYMC
U of South Florida
U of Texas
Family Med
Albany Med
Albany Med
Boston University
Conroe Reg Med Ctr, Conroe, TX
Eisenhower Medical Ctr, Fort Gordon, GA (military)
Idaho State
In His Image Family Med, Tulsa, OK
Jamaica Hosp Med Ctr, Jamaica, NY
Lancaster General Hospital, PA
NCC-Dewitt Army Community Hospital (military)
Scripps Mercy, Chula Vista, CA
St Vincents Med Ctr, Jacksonville, FL
St. Joseph's, Syracuse, NY
St. Mary's Hospital, Grand Junction, CO
St. Mary's Hospital, Grand Junction, CO
Stony Brook, NY
U of Colorado
University of Rochester
General Surgery
Albany Med
Brigham & Womens
Eastern VA Medical School, Norfolk, VA
Georgetown
Hospital of St. Raphael, New Haven, CT
Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
UC Davis
Virginia Mason Med Ctr, Seattle, WA
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI
G-Surg Prelim
Hospital of St. Raphael, New Haven, CT
Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
Providence Sacred Heart Med Ctr, Spokane, WA
St Lukes-Roosevelt, NYC
Univ North Carolina
Internal Medicine
Brigham & Womens
Brown
Einstein
Jefferson
Kessler Air Force Base (military)
Lenox Hill Hospital, NYC
Medical College Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Mt Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA
North Shore Health Sys, Great Neck, NY
North Shore Health Sys, Great Neck, NY
St Lukes-Roosevelt, NYC
U of Chicago
U of Florida
UCLA
Med-Peds
Christiana Care, Newark, DE
Rush
Umass
Med Prelim
Albany Med
Yale
Neurology
Kaiser Los Angeles
UC Irvine (peds neuro)
Neurosurgery
U of Texas
OB/GYN
Brigham & Womens
Christiana Care, Newark, DE
Eastern VA Medical School, Norfolk, VA
Einstein
Loma Linda, CA
Medical College of Georgia
Rush
Santa Clara Valley Med Ctr, San Jose, CA
Southern Illinois
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
UMDNJ-R Wood Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ
Ophthalmology
Albany Med
NYMC
Sanai Hospital, Baltimore, MD
U of Missouri
Ortho
Albany Med
Albany Med
Dartmouth
George Washington
Long Island Jewish Med Ctr
U. South Carolina
Yale
Pathology
Albany Med
Bay State Medical Center, Springfield, MA
PM&R
Harvard
Northwestern
Ohio State
Peds
Albany Med
Children's Hospital Oakland, Oakland, CA
Duke
Kaiser Oakland, Oakland, CA
Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, cA
North Shore, NY
Stony Brook, NY
Tufts
U of Connecticut
U of Maryland
Umass
UT Southwestern
Wake Forrest
Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
UMass
Psych
Boston University
Boston University
Georgetown
Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth VA (military match)
U of Florida
U of Washington, Seattle, WA
Radiation Oncology
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
Radiology
Albany Med
Albany Med
Albany med
Albany Med
Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Barnes Jewish Hosp, St. Louis, MO
Einstein
Transitional
Newton-Wellesley Hospital, MA
Urology
Brown
Vascular Surgery
Southern Illinois University

Last edited:
Just got the UC email. Interviewed last week. All ethical questions my first interview, pretty conversational and laid back my second.

contrary to the portrayal on here, it seems the school is a really really great place to be. I was really sold on them.

Good luck to all those waiting.

hmmm, it seems as though acceptances and rejections are not given for later interviews, all become UC

albany's class size after special programs is only like 100. thats very few seats so UC will be the majority by far. and the director of admissions said the class has long been filled.

For those who have been accepted, when should AMC email us the information about financial aid?

Thanks!

Hey! I received something about setting up a Webadvisor account in February and have since received a financial aid award letter just listing out the 72K of loans that are coming my way. I was offered a scholarship over the phone in late January but that hasn't gone through yet.

That is my timeline thus far. Does that help?

Hey! I received something about setting up a Webadvisor account in February and have since received a financial aid award letter just listing out the 72K of loans that are coming my way. I was offered a scholarship over the phone in late January but that hasn't gone through yet.

I submitted my financial aid application through Webadvisor about a week ago. How long did it take between submitting your financial aid application and receiving your award letter?

Hey guys,

Does AMC confirm when they receive your deposit/acceptance forms?

Last edited:

Thanks! I just called the financial aid office and they sent me the email.

anyone have a rough guess as to how many of us will get off the UC list into the class? I'm trying to plan my next year and have been UC since October. I know may 15 is the big day, but if they only accept 5% off UC or something then... yeah...

30% of UC goes onto waitlist, rest rejected. And from what i hear, not many gets taken off the waitlist but it varies yr to year.

30% of UC goes onto waitlist, rest rejected. And from what i hear, not many gets taken off the waitlist but it varies yr to year.

I don't think this is right. I met several people who came from UC list during my interview day. My student host said a sizable chunk of his class came from the list. I don't know how large the UC pool is, but there appears to be significant movement of the waitlist.

I don't think this is right. I met several people who came from UC list during my interview day. My student host said a sizable chunk of his class came from the list. I don't know how large the UC pool is, but there appears to be significant movement of the waitlist.

30% is what the director of admission said. Don't forget that albany has a small class size. so even if 10 people get off waitlist, thats almost 10% of the class and could be considered sizable.

30% is what the director of admission said. Don't forget that albany has a small class size. so even if 10 people get off waitlist, thats almost 10% of the class and could be considered sizable.

A lot of the stuff you are saying directly contradicts what I was told on interview day. For example, they specifically told us the class wasn't full yet and they were offering some acceptances.

It seemed like nearly half the students I talked to came from UC.

A lot of the stuff you are saying directly contradicts what I was told on interview day. For example, they specifically told us the class wasn't full yet and they were offering some acceptances.

It seemed like nearly half the students I talked to came from UC.

I was told the same when I interviewed in early March. I specifically recall the briefing before the interview informing us that the class was not yet full and that it is hard to gauge how much movement will come off of the wait list. In the last three years, anywhere from 50 to a single person was take off the UC for admission each year.

If anything, I am surprised that UC has not seen any movement yet, esp since we're already in April. This must mean more students are holding onto multiple acceptances until May 15 than in previous years. Isnt the UC list some sort of hybrid waitlist?

I was told the same when I interviewed in early March. I specifically recall the briefing before the interview informing us that the class was not yet full and that it is hard to gauge how much movement will come off of the wait list. In the last three years, anywhere from 50 to a single person was take off the UC for admission each year.

If anything, I am surprised that UC has not seen any movement yet, esp since we're already in April. This must mean more students are holding onto multiple acceptances until May 15 than in previous years. Isnt the UC list some sort of hybrid waitlist?

I think you misworded. I think they refered to the wait list for the from 50 to 1 person value. Not the under consideration list.

Finally rejected pre-interview lol. Complete 8/31 and was put on hold 9/23.

GL everyone else! :luck:

Congrats! Also interested in the details.
Is this the first UC movement?

It's the first UC movement that i've heard of this season. Congrats Marie, that must be welcome news!

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Here is some info:

Submitted Secondary: Dec. 20th

Interview Invite: Feb 7th

Interview: Feb 16th

Placed into UC: Feb 24th

Accepted: April 7th! :)

I did not send any updates or a letter of interest. Hope that helps! Best of luck to all of you!

Congrats! Did you receive notification by email or a phone call?

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Here is some info:

Submitted Secondary: Dec. 20th

Interview Invite: Feb 7th

Interview: Feb 16th

Placed into UC: Feb 24th

Accepted: April 7th! :)

I did not send any updates or a letter of interest. Hope that helps! Best of luck to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.