2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have an idea of how long the wait generally is after being verified before assuming you've been screened out? I was verified on 7/7 (feels SO long ago though) and have 32T/3.6cGPA, 3.3sGPA .. not sure what to expect really. I haven't heard anything from hear so just wondering at what point to stop waiting

Thanks!
 
do they want us to write the responses within the alloted space or to attach pieces of paper to answer the questions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do they want us to write the responses within the alloted space or to attach pieces of paper to answer the questions?

In the allotted space. You can't resize the text or use a different font either, so they have pretty much set a word limit.
 
Is this school friendly to Canadians applicants?
It is listed as one the Canadian friendly school. There are posts regarding this on PM101 (Canadian pre-med forum) and I know people are applying to that school. We Canadians are considered in the same catagory as the out of state US applicants.
 
I think my responses for every questions except for "Why EVSM?" are excellent.

Anyone else having trouble?

I can't seem to find enough info on their website, MSAR, or evaluations for me to justify why I like them over other schools. Sure they have a good rep for primary care, but I gotta talk about more than just that.

And come on, two photos? What a hassle. 🙁
 
have people been getting secondaries? waiting for them from evms?

They screen primaries. It's not automatic.

App was verified 06/04 and got their 2ndary on 07/13. Actually... EVSM was a late addition for me, after I already submitted the AMCAS. I added it on 07/03.
 
There were rumors a few years back that they primarily use a system that selects candidates with a ~3.5 overall and 3.4 science, OR with 30+ MCAT with minimum 9 on sections, but obviously there are many exceptions
3.15 overall 3.1 bcpm 34R mcat screened out here 😀
 
Quick question: I have not received anything from them, and was verified on July 3rd. If I have been "screened out," will they at least let me know with an email or just send nothing and have me put the pieces together? I am new to this process so sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks
 
Quick question: I have not received anything from them, and was verified on July 3rd. If I have been "screened out," will they at least let me know with an email or just send nothing and have me put the pieces together? I am new to this process so sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks

Hm... interesting...

I am not absolutely sure but I am inclined to believe that they will notify you if you were screened out (notice how some applicants have reported they have gotten these notifications.)

Even though my AMCAS was verified 06/04, I did not add EVSM onto my list until 07/03. I then got the 2ndary 07/13. So not sure where they have neither screened you out nor sent you a 2ndary... very peculiar indeed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With a 28Q, 3.55 overall (3.42 BCPM) and OOS, does anyone think it would be worthwhile pursuing the secondary application after having received the "strongly-recommended to retake the mcat" email?

From last year's thread, it seems like people with a 29 didn't get that email.

and several with similar stats + instate who did get rejected pre-secondary.

also, there's this

my mcat was a 27R. i wont be retaking till mid august but i didnt want it to make me application late so I didn't say i was going to retake it. i guess i should've? apparrently their recommendation was more of a demand as when I replied that i wont be retaking she wrote me back saying my file won't be proceeding forward if I didn't retake. hopefully i'll have luck with my state schools *fingers crossed*

The more I think about it, it's just not worth doing the secondary.
 
stupid paper apps 😡 i mailed mine via priority mail last friday and according to delivery confirmation it was accepted by the post office i gave it to last friday and NOTHING since. it has the money order inside and apparently the money order refund thing takes 30 days. plus i'm stupid and didn't save my answers so i'm going to be extra pissed if i have to re-do this entire app. i feel like crying right now :cry:
 
stupid paper apps 😡 i mailed mine via priority mail last friday and according to delivery confirmation it was accepted by the post office i gave it to last friday and NOTHING since. it has the money order inside and apparently the money order refund thing takes 30 days. plus i'm stupid and didn't save my answers so i'm going to be extra pissed if i have to re-do this entire app. i feel like crying right now :cry:

No, no don't cry, dramaqueen, you will be alright. Call them on Monday to clarify. But I'm betting that everything is OK. They will not wait 30 days to complete your application because of this money order issue. Take a deep breath. Really it will be just fine and you will know so on Monday morning when you should call them.
I had a similar screw up thing with my VCU secondary and I did cry, but in the end, all was OK. My heart goes out to you.
~Nessy
 
No, no don't cry, dramaqueen, you will be alright. Call them on Monday to clarify. But I'm betting that everything is OK. They will not wait 30 days to complete your application because of this money order issue. Take a deep breath. Really it will be just fine and you will know so on Monday morning when you should call them.
I had a similar screw up thing with my VCU secondary and I did cry, but in the end, all was OK. My heart goes out to you.
~Nessy

Aww thank you Nessy. It's just such a frustrating process to begin with, and especially hard when something goes wrong. I'll try to sort it out Monday morning. I'm glad everything worked out with your VCU secondary and thanks for the kind words😍
 
Aww thank you Nessy. It's just such a frustrating process to begin with, and especially hard when something goes wrong. I'll try to sort it out Monday morning. I'm glad everything worked out with your VCU secondary and thanks for the kind words😍

You are so welcome. I guess this is kind of a small world and we'll be going down this same road together (at least if one is on SDN). Hang in there!
~Nessy


:highfive:
 
Last edited:
Gah! How am I to "report the number of credit hours followed by “S” or “Q” to indicate semester or quarter hours," if my school was on the trimester system? Is there someone I can email? Or maybe I'm missing an FAQ section that addresses it? It's probably not a very common question, though.
 
Gah! How am I to "report the number of credit hours followed by "S" or "Q" to indicate semester or quarter hours," if my school was on the trimester system? Is there someone I can email? Or maybe I'm missing an FAQ section that addresses it? It's probably not a very common question, though.

By "quarters", I thought they meant a trimester system. Someone once told me that trimesters are the same thing as quarters, if you count the summer session as another "trimester".
 
My school is a little bit different in that it is on a very traditional trimester system. In fact, there is no summer term. At my school, a semester's worth of material is covered in a quarter so students take fewer classes than at other schools. It must be semester hours at my school since two trimesters constitutes a year of study.
 
I think my responses for every questions except for "Why EVSM?" are excellent.

Anyone else having trouble?

I can't seem to find enough info on their website, MSAR, or evaluations for me to justify why I like them over other schools. Sure they have a good rep for primary care, but I gotta talk about more than just that.

And come on, two photos? What a hassle. 🙁

lol yes their website is inept...no video, no useful descriptions for prospective students, nothing. Fortunately no one has any real reason for applying unless they have some strong personal ties to the school
 
I mailed out my application 7/12 and still haven't heard anything from them. Do you guys think I should email them and ask if they received it...it seems like it's been a while
 
lol yes their website is inept...no video, no useful descriptions for prospective students, nothing. Fortunately no one has any real reason for applying unless they have some strong personal ties to the school

Their reputation for being strong in primary care appeals to me. However, this can't be the only reason to write about.

Read up on some evaluations and they were so generic, they were pretty much useless. Didn't learn anything about EVSM from them at all. And I've never been to Virginia... so can't really say I love the surrounding. So yeah... FML.
 
Do they like research? I am deciding between my PI's letter and an MD letter (who also taught me in a special topics course)...both very good.

BTW was screened in with 31/3.6ish/OOS
 
Finally mailed it out!!

I think I finally regained enough motivation to get the rest of my 2ndaries in. Just 10 (out of 26) more to go! 🙂
 
Sooo... has anyone who has received the "application complete" email received a response yet? just curious about the turnaround time.

I feel as if I will be placed on hold or rejected because I got the dreaded MCAT email and I responded that I will not be taking it again but sent my application anyway (plus I'm OOS). Perhaps it was a dumb move, but if they sent me a secondary app I figured it was at least worth a shot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mailed mine out on 7/12 and had everything (LORs) in by 7/22, but didn't get the "complete" email til 7/29
 
I never got the "complete" email. They sent an email requesting more IS applicant information but never sent a "completed" email. I've called them several times and they say that it is complete. Has anyone started hearing about interviews?
 
It took a week from when I submitted to get my complete email.

Got complete e-mail today.

"We have all the materials necessary to complete your application for admission.

You will be notified as soon as our Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and a decision conferning your candidacy has been made."

Mailed it out this past Friday (07/30)
 
Their reputation for being strong in primary care appeals to me. However, this can't be the only reason to write about.

Read up on some evaluations and they were so generic, they were pretty much useless. Didn't learn anything about EVSM from them at all. And I've never been to Virginia... so can't really say I love the surrounding. So yeah... FML.

Allright, so for starters nobody calls it "EVSM" unless the brilliant administration has recently decided to try and change it. It will get you funny looks if you use it on campus, so go for EVMS should you come for an interview.

Second, it's not primary care that's a strong point, it's CLINICAL SKILL. You have access to a very strong training system to help you become strong in clinical skills and do so sooner than you would at most other schools. Being a good clinician is vital in any practice, not just primary care. The President of the American College of Surgeons is here. A few world renound physicians in Ob/Gyn and Emergency medicine are here as well.

Over all, people at EVMs become great at clinical skills, regardless of what field they go into. If you're looking for something to write about, something along those lines might get you a little farther (as you accuratelyt eluded).

Lastly, another poster is correct in noticing that EVMS does not have a ton of research going on. However, they do have really good research, and were recently a part in developing the first HIV antimicrobial gel that is being distributed to Africa. It significantly decreases HIV infection/transmission rates which is obviously tremendous! However, they are obiously not a med school that's attached to an undergrad powerhouse of academia....
 
One other word of advice: alot of activity happens on the wait list. The more you call/write/email to check on your status and reaffirm your strong desire to attend here the more likely you are to get in. If you just sit there and wait to hear back from them with out calling and pleading your case occasionally, you probably won't get anywhere unless you have a crazy impressive app.
 
One other word of advice: alot of activity happens on the wait list. The more you call/write/email to check on your status and reaffirm your strong desire to attend here the more likely you are to get in. If you just sit there and wait to hear back from them with out calling and pleading your case occasionally, you probably won't get anywhere unless you have a crazy impressive app.

Does this only apply to EVMS or most med schools? In terms of checking your status helps the school know you're interested?
 
Allright, so for starters nobody calls it "EVSM" unless the brilliant administration has recently decided to try and change it. It will get you funny looks if you use it on campus, so go for EVMS should you come for an interview.

That was a Typo. I just checked my response and I clearly used EVMS.

Second, it's not primary care that's a strong point, it's CLINICAL SKILL. You have access to a very strong training system to help you become strong in clinical skills and do so sooner than you would at most other schools. Being a good clinician is vital in any practice, not just primary care. The President of the American College of Surgeons is here. A few world renound physicians in Ob/Gyn and Emergency medicine are here as well.

Over all, people at EVMs become great at clinical skills, regardless of what field they go into. If you're looking for something to write about, something along those lines might get you a little farther (as you accuratelyt eluded).

MSAR seem to have given the impression that they're big about primary care. Maybe indirectly they are? In any case, my response does highlight that I have a lot of clinical experience and that I would like to hone it further.
 
That was a Typo. I just checked my response and I clearly used EVMS.



MSAR seem to have given the impression that they're big about primary care. Maybe indirectly they are? In any case, my response does highlight that I have a lot of clinical experience and that I would like to hone it further.

From MSAR:
"EVMS seeks persons with personal and background traits that indicate a high potential for becoming a primary care physician".

I think that's pretty straight forward. Maybe they don't have a reputation for emphasizing primary care, but they seem to seek people who want to go into it. I'm sure good clinical skills are also emphasized.
 
Hey guys! I'm a WM OOS student who got into EVMS thru a program they have with VA schools. I interviewed and had a tour and stuff so anyone with Q's feel free to ask! Good luck all!
 
Hey guys! I'm a WM OOS student who got into EVMS thru a program they have with VA schools. I interviewed and had a tour and stuff so anyone with Q's feel free to ask! Good luck all!

Wow. Congrats!!! It must be such a relief to know so early! 🙂 Though I have no relation to the state, I would love to go here... after reading about how happy the students are. I read they give out frequent quizzes and exams so that you never fall too far behind. That's more my style of learning. 🙂
 
Wow. Congrats!!! It must be such a relief to know so early! 🙂 Though I have no relation to the state, I would love to go here... after reading about how happy the students are. I read they give out frequent quizzes and exams so that you never fall too far behind. That's more my style of learning. 🙂
Thanks! I definitely got the impression that they care a lot about their students and I've heard that they put a lot of emphasis on patient care which is obviously important.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was screened in with a 29R 3.85 BCPM OOS. I'm also a first gen with immigrant parents, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but FYI. Its not always just about numbers, thank God!
With a 28Q, 3.55 overall (3.42 BCPM) and OOS, does anyone think it would be worthwhile pursuing the secondary application after having received the "strongly-recommended to retake the mcat" email?

From last year's thread, it seems like people with a 29 didn't get that email.

and several with similar stats + instate who did get rejected pre-secondary.

also, there's this



The more I think about it, it's just not worth doing the secondary.
 
Interview invite via email

Called the office and scheduled for September 8. Seemed like they still had most of their interview days in September open.

Complete July 15 3.7/39/IS
 
Interview invite via email

Called the office and scheduled for September 8. Seemed like they still had most of their interview days in September open.

Complete July 15 3.7/39/IS

Me too!! I also scheduled for the 8th.

I was complete July 12th. Stats are on mdapps..and I'm OOS with strong VA ties.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.