You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I've been complete since mid-July and haven't heard anything back. Is anyone else in a similar situation, or do most people who had submitted by then know one way or another (interview/rejection)?
I am a first year here, so let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to get back to you
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where is the cheapest place to stay around campus?
Cheapest place is with a student host (FREE!). I didn't have a chance to do that when I interviewed... You can make reservations at the Sheraton Waterside (you HAVE to call and make the reservation THROUGH the front desk at the hotel). Tell them you were told to ask for the EVMS student discount, which will run you approx. $112/night (including tax). It's a really nice hotel.
hey guys for the question Briefly describe your exposure to medicine did you guys just list in paragraph form your experiences like their titles or did you also write out something you've learned from the experience.
for example: I was a medical volunteer for XYZ hospital. This hospital taught me the importance of teamwork.
I have a good amount of activities that have exposed me to medicine; however, I do not think I have enough room unless I just list them in paragraph form without explaining their significance to me.
what's everyones take on this? thanks/
for example: I was a medical volunteer for XYZ hospital. This hospital taught me the importance of teamwork.
I have a good amount of activities that have exposed me to medicine; however, I do not think I have enough room unless I just list them in paragraph form without explaining their significance to me.
what's everyones take on this? thanks/
hey guys for the question Briefly describe your exposure to medicine did you guys just list in paragraph form your experiences like their titles or did you also write out something you've learned from the experience.
for example: I was a medical volunteer for XYZ hospital. This hospital taught me the importance of teamwork.
I have a good amount of activities that have exposed me to medicine; however, I do not think I have enough room unless I just list them in paragraph form without explaining their significance to me.
what's everyones take on this? thanks/
I only wrote about 2 experiences so I could detail what I learned and the impressions they instilled. I figured that all of your experiences are available in the primary so they'll see it there but that's just my opinion...I have yet to get an interview
You know I wonder about this. I was about to come up on here to ask this very question.
2 years ago I applied with an appallingly low ugrad GPA but a 3.8 in grad school in the Molecular medicine MS program at USF medical school that is a GPA enhancing program and a 29Q MCAT but a september mcat score so didn't come til after october. I never heard back and got rejected presecondary but never even a rejection letter. Just never received a secondary.
This year, I did BU MAMS and got a 3.45 in the program. Have retaken my MCAT in August but I got screened in and got the secondary. And overall GPA in grad school is 3.65 and right now MCAT is 29Q but not sure what it will be in 10 days when I get my new score back. Just hoping i don't regret the retake and do worse.
But I'm curious why do you think i was screened in? Does anyone know how their screening actually works? Do they look more heavily on postbac work or do you think it is cuz I went to BU MAMS, a program that they know the reputation of as they've had a lot of people get in their med school coming out of it? I'm confused.
And i just was wondering if anyone knows how they actually screen.
guju, how are your ECs? they may like your profile. they may have seen your 3.8 and liked that too. also they may screen, but not crazy. they may not want the super high stats people and neither the super low stat. so maybe you're in their middle.
Got ton of different clinical volunteer experiences and some other stuff. All my 15 slots were filled. LOL. Who knows. I'm just hoping the fact that I didn't get screened out presecondary is a good sign. 🙂 we shall see what happens.
i hope so too. we'll see what it means. but yeah maybe you had some nice ECs so that could've helped a lot.
There's no method to the madness! I got screened in with some pretty poor stats (<30 MCAT and <3.0 uGPA). But I guess I have some redeeming qualities like a high gGPA and good ECs....I'm also a URM but I think that's canceled out by the fact that I'm Canadian. I just don't know, but I'm hoping for the best!!!
There's no method to the madness! I got screened in with some pretty poor stats (<30 MCAT and <3.0 uGPA). But I guess I have some redeeming qualities like a high gGPA and good ECs....I'm also a URM but I think that's canceled out by the fact that I'm Canadian. I just don't know, but I'm hoping for the best!!!
Not an official answer (i.e. from the admissions office), but they do tend to put more of an emphasis on what you did/do after UG. In this case (and my own), a high graduate or post-bac GPA can work wonders. Improving an old MCAT helps too. They really like to see that you've worked on improving yourself.
In case y'all didn't know, EVMS prides itself on its community outreach. The school was founded by a grassroots effort by the community, and we really try to carry on that tradition. The school has been nationally recognized by AAMC for its community service. Good ECs to that effect may have had something to do with piquing someone's interest.
Good luck to everyone!
I have a question for you guys. Do you get an email saying you are complete or anything or that they've received your application once they receive it? I heard nothing back from EVMS post sending the stuff out.
I sent it out the very same day GWU, Loyola, and some other apps were sent out and got news from all of the rest of them but not EVMS. So I'm wondering whether i should call and ask them?
I received a complete email a week-ish after I mailed my secondary. How long has it been since you mailed the app? If it has been longer than 2 weeks, you should probably email them or give them a call. Good luck!
Last edited:
I was answering the question and it started scrolling down but then im guessing it is not going to appear when i print it so why did they set it up that way? anyone know?
My last line was cut off even though the scrolling bar didn't appear. Make sure you look over everything again after you print it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else interviewing on Friday?
For those of you interviewing, don't be afraid to stop us in the halls and ask us questions. I promise we won't bite your heads off!
For those of you interviewing, don't be afraid to stop us in the halls and ask us questions. I promise we won't bite your heads off!
I dunno man.... That mullet on your avatar pretty much screams, "I will bite your head off if you ask me a question about this school."
I dunno man.... That mullet on your avatar pretty much screams, "I will bite your head off if you ask me a question about this school."
Nah, the mullet says "Why give 100% when 35% will get you paid and laid?".
Eastbound FTW. Can I wear a t-shirt with his face instead of a suit to the interview?
I would go with the tuxedo t-shirt and some jorts.
How did yall put your pics ? i called and they said I can paste the same pic twice on my app and print it which i think is pretty lameinterviewing on Friday tomorrow. its my first interview. the school seems amazing and I am really excited about tomorrow. I am oos and brown so I ll be easy to spot. Hit me up biochem if u spot me.
I sent my secondary overnight and they got it Wed, got the complete e-mail today! So I guess its about a 2 day period for them to mark you complete once they get the sec. I love this school's emphasis on primary care and really want an interview!!
How did yall put your pics ? i called and they said I can paste the same pic twice on my app and print it which i think is pretty lame
I printed my pics out on photo paper and paper-clipped them to the top of my app. Make sure to put your name/amcas ID number on the back if you do this!
OOS here, AMCAS verified 7/27 screened in today 3.6/34Q
I just scheduled my interview for October 1st. I'm so excited..and slightly terrified. Any of you that are interviewing in the coming weeks, please let me know how it goes! I've read the questions are notoriously difficult, but that they have relaxed a bit in recent years. I'm curious to see what the feedback will be this time around. Also, I have a dumb question. What the heck are we (women) supposed to wear to the interview / interview day?
Also, I have a dumb question. What the heck are we (women) supposed to wear to the interview / interview day?
Business attire... The girls all wore either pant suits or business skirts (knee length or slightly lower) and a blazer / sport coat. Just wear what you would wear to a job interview (for jobs other than a gym or Burger King).
Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have hit up the goodwill for a suit 🙂 I was surprised I got an interview. My MCAT was a 28M and my GPA was only a 3.5. I am a Native American (don't know if that helps) and have done a TON of community service, so maybe that worked in my favor. Definitely need to dress to impress on interview day, though. Are we required to do the student host thing the night before the interview or can we choose to go to a hotel? ( I have crazy food allergies and it's risky to use other people's kitchens ) I'd still like to meet up with a student beforehand to ask questions about the school, I just can't stay in their dorm/apt.
I just scheduled my interview for October 1st. I'm so excited..and slightly terrified. Any of you that are interviewing in the coming weeks, please let me know how it goes! I've read the questions are notoriously difficult, but that they have relaxed a bit in recent years. I'm curious to see what the feedback will be this time around. Also, I have a dumb question. What the heck are we (women) supposed to wear to the interview / interview day?
Hey Asante,
I interviewed this year on 09/07. Do not be terrified! Mine was completely relaxed. My questions were very simple and tailored to my application specifically. When I walked in they told me they wanted me to be as relaxed as possible and were extremely friendly and welcoming. I only received one ethical question (one that has been asked over and over according to SDN interview feedback) and the typical health care question. They grilled me on the health care, but I stuck with my original thought and expanded over the course of their questioning which they seemed to appreciate (they said I analyzed it well and had clearly given it a lot of thought). Just relax and be yourself!
As far as attire goes, I wore a simple pants suit and low heels (the tour was a lot of walking, and you tour both a hospital and the school itself).
Good luck with your interview!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have hit up the goodwill for a suit 🙂 I was surprised I got an interview. My MCAT was a 28M and my GPA was only a 3.5. I am a Native American (don't know if that helps) and have done a TON of community service, so maybe that worked in my favor. Definitely need to dress to impress on interview day, though. Are we required to do the student host thing the night before the interview or can we choose to go to a hotel? ( I have crazy food allergies and it's risky to use other people's kitchens ) I'd still like to meet up with a student beforehand to ask questions about the school, I just can't stay in their dorm/apt.
You are not required to stay with a student host. I didn't. Also, if you don't get a chance to meet up with a student beforehand, your tour of the school will be with a student and they will give you plenty of time to ask questions.
For those of you that have had an interview/have one scheduled already, are you early decision? Any regular decision had an interview yet?
Congrats to everyone that's already had an interview! How'd it go?
I was regular decision, interviewed earlier this month.
There's no way to check your status, except maybe by phone.
lame! Although the hold music is epic enough, it may be worth a call anyway, lol.
For those of you that have had an interview/have one scheduled already, are you early decision? Any regular decision had an interview yet?
Congrats to everyone that's already had an interview! How'd it go?
I'm regular decision and will be interviewing in the next few weeks.

I interviewed and really enjoyed it. I like the school I lot more than I thought I would. (regular decision)
interviewing on Friday tomorrow. its my first interview. the school seems amazing and I am really excited about tomorrow. I am oos and brown so I ll be easy to spot. Hit me up biochem if u spot me.
Congrats!! When were you complete?
I'm also OOS so I'm wondering when I should expect to hear from them.
oh my i really need to maill in my applicationComplete 8/9 and no word yet 🙁 will consider it "a rejection until proven otherwise"
hey guys, after you mailed the app, how long did it take to get some type of email telling you that you're materials have been received/complete?
hey guys, after you mailed the app, how long did it take to get some type of email telling you that you're materials have been received/complete?
About 2 or 3 weeks. More like on the 3 week side.
About 2 or 3 weeks. More like on the 3 week side.
wtfffffff sooo long from now.
I never received a "complete" email. I had to call them to verify.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never received a "complete" email. I had to call them to verify.
when did you call in drew?
Oh gosh, maybe three weeks after I sent my stuff in. They have a very friendly admissions office unlike some other schools.
hey guys! so what pictures are you sending in? i was just going to crop my face out of picture i look semi-decent in, print 2 copies out, and send them in. do they have to be professional pictures??
I took a professional pics at a professional photography place in a suit and used that.
And on a positive note am complete officially at EVMS. Called them the other day to check my status since I hadn't heard anything post sending in secondary.
nice guju. weird guju, i received a complete e-mail a few days ago after about a week of waiting. how long after you sent in your app did you wait to call them? btw how are apps going??? any interviews yet?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K