2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone with a November interview date receive a decision yet? The AdCom met yesterday so they must have reviewed at least some November interviewees.
 
I just wanted to post here to releive some pre-interview stress for those of you who have been reading too much into the negative interview experience forums.

I interviewed at EVMS about two weeks ago, and it was definitely nothing to be stressed about. I had an alumni interviewer and a 4th year student on my panel. The alumni was incredibly sweet and knowledgeable. It was more like a conversation for them to get to know me and we ended up talking about my country's history for quite a long time!

I didn't get any difficult question, and I never felt like I was being grilled. I only got asked an ethical question on research and patent laws, and that really came through the conversation. We were talking about my graduate research work, gene therapy, publishing, etc etc...so the question was really a natural extension of the conversation.

The M4 student was also great. She asked me why I wanted to go to EVMS, and how I think my experiences would influence my career choices. She was smiling the entire time, and was extremely friendly.

My interview was so conversational and informal, that I was allowed to ask questions from my interviewers during the interview as they came up.

So please, for those who haven't interviewed, relax! They're not out to get you! It is really how you handle the situation and questions. Walk in positive and confident, and remember they are already interested in you for you to get to that interview. Being stressed and nervous will def hinder your performance, and you do not want them to lose interest.

Best of luck!:luck:
 
Ditto. My interview was far and away the most laid-back of the five I've had. Two interviewers, both exceedingly friendly. A great overall experience.

Chemmasc, did you call for a decision yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at EVMS about two weeks ago, and it was definitely nothing to be stressed about.

I'll second this. I interviewed back in early Oct. and while it was one of the more difficult interviews questionwise, it wasn't in any way a "grilling". I was pressed a little when answering an ethical question but I held my ground and explained my reasoning and it was fine.

Best of luck everyone.

If anyone has specific questions you're welcome to pm me.
 
Ditto. My interview was far and away the most laid-back of the five I've had. Two interviewers, both exceedingly friendly. A great overall experience.

Chemmasc, did you call for a decision yet?

No I haven't. It's been just a little over two weeks. I had a feeling ppl call on the three week mark. If I am lucky enough to receive and offer though, I may be declining in favour of the schools that I have been accepted to. EVMS was a great school though!
 
An update for those who interviewed late Oct: I interviewed Oct 22nd and was able to find out that I was wait listed (upper third) by inquiring via e-mail, nothing through the post yet.
As for my interviewers, I found them to be quite nice, and really worked to get to know who I am and what my motivations are, all of the candidates that interviewed with me that I spoke to seemed to have a similar experience with their interviewers as well. I really like how there are at least two people interviewing candidates (I had one comittee member and one 4th year student), versus MCV (aka VCU med school) where I just had one 4th year interviewing me- which means my addmitance depends totally on his impression on me.
Any way, I hope my input turns out to be helpful to others!
 
Interviewed here a few days ago and I agree with the recent posts - my interview was very conversational and comfortable. A few ethical questions came up but they were not nearly as bad as some of the horror stories on here. Loved the school and the student atmosphere, fingers crossed for an acceptance. Good luck to everyone interviewing and waiting!
 
Just a reminder - I am an EVMS medical student. If you guys have any questions, either post them here, or you can PM me if you have specific / personal questions.

Also, I have NO ties to admissions, so nothing you say to me will affect anything related to your collective status. Just remember to be smart if you decide to post publicly (be it here or Facebook) because every school regularly checks social networking sites now.

Best of luck (and congrats to all of those with acceptances here or elsewhere already)!!!!
 
Just a reminder - I am an EVMS medical student. If you guys have any questions, either post them here, or you can PM me if you have specific / personal questions.

Also, I have NO ties to admissions, so nothing you say to me will affect anything related to your collective status. Just remember to be smart if you decide to post publicly (be it here or Facebook) because every school regularly checks social networking sites now.

Best of luck (and congrats to all of those with acceptances here or elsewhere already)!!!!

image.php

Ahh. Good to see others appreciate good music.
 
really excited about EVMS ...
waiting to hear back after submiting a secondary ...
maybe posting on this site will bring me luck...

lol.

I'm willing to do just about anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats, chemmasc, on EVMS and all of your acceptances....impressive!

Any other November interviewees hear back? Do they reject post-interview, or is everyone just placed on the waitlist?
 
Last edited:
Congratulation!!! Any interviewing advice you wanna give? 😍

Thank you! Well I just gave advice a few posts before in the same thread. Just be confident, stand your ground without being rude, when answering ethics question think out loud. I don't think anyone has an answer to them, it's just important to show your thought process. 🙂
 
Got an interview on 12/3/10. 28S, 3.7 GPA double major, OOS. Considering the stats of others im kind of surprised I got the interview. Other side notes that may have helped, I have over 2000 hours of ER work during undergrad and have presented research at conferences.

If anyone else is going to be there that day, can't wait to see yall and I am very excited!
 
Quick question to those interviewed, did you go straight to your interviewers at 2pm as schedule? When did you finally leave the campus? Was wondering how I should plan my flight back.

Thanks in advance!
 
Quick question to those interviewed, did you go straight to your interviewers at 2pm as schedule? When did you finally leave the campus? Was wondering how I should plan my flight back.

Thanks in advance!

The interviews start at 2pm, but there are 3 timeslots and you might not have your interview until 2:45 or even 3:30. As you can see, the interviews are scheduled for 45 minutes, but some go long.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to book a flight with this in mind. If you need to fly out that same day, just get the latest flight you can. Security at Norfolk airport is a breeze (I've always been through in <5 minutes), so at least you don't have to be there way before the flight if you're not checking bags.
 
I intend to cancel my interview on 12/17 but have yet to make the phone call.

Since they do not allow rescheduling, this is one interview I will have to forgo. Basically, I am withdrawing my application.

PM me if you have yet to schedule an interview and would like this date. We will try to time it so that you can take over my interview spot (as opposed to a random stranger?).
 
The interviews start at 2pm, but there are 3 timeslots and you might not have your interview until 2:45 or even 3:30. As you can see, the interviews are scheduled for 45 minutes, but some go long.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to book a flight with this in mind. If you need to fly out that same day, just get the latest flight you can. Security at Norfolk airport is a breeze (I've always been through in <5 minutes), so at least you don't have to be there way before the flight if you're not checking bags.

Thank you the information! 😀

Nice sic. Problems are lessons.
 
interviewing on the same day as you! lets hope we get a not-so-terrifying panel of interviewers! I'm looking forward to being grilled! 😀

I'm also in the Dec 17 interview batch...hopefully we will have great interviews
 
Here is some info I recieved from EVMS in response to a few questions I had about the waiting list, hope this can help some others as well...

"Your placement on the waitlist is determined by the number of points you receive at your interview. You receive points for your actual interview, letters of recommendtion, MCAT scores, grades, etc. We break our waitlist down into thirds because there could be 25 or more people who received the same number of points that you did for your interview, and there is no way to rank you besides that. We do not start at the top of the list and make our way down. Instead, they will replace with what they lose, i.e. an in-state female who withdraws will be replaced with another in-state female. Last year we had over 400 people on the waitlist."
 
Here is some info I recieved from EVMS in response to a few questions I had about the waiting list, hope this can help some others as well...

"Your placement on the waitlist is determined by the number of points you receive at your interview. You receive points for your actual interview, letters of recommendtion, MCAT scores, grades, etc. We break our waitlist down into thirds because there could be 25 or more people who received the same number of points that you did for your interview, and there is no way to rank you besides that. We do not start at the top of the list and make our way down. Instead, they will replace with what they lose, i.e. an in-state female who withdraws will be replaced with another in-state female. Last year we had over 400 people on the waitlist."

Any ideas how many people, out of the 400, were offered acceptance?
----------------

~600 interviewed, 300 accepted and 100 ish matriculate o.o
 
Last edited:
I've heard, although very unlikely, it is possible to get a change of residency for tuition purposes for OOS applicants. What would be required to do this?
 
I've heard, although very unlikely, it is possible to get a change of residency for tuition purposes for OOS applicants. What would be required to do this?

"unlikely" = just this side of impossible

There's really nothing you can do at this point. You would have had to have lived in VA, paying taxes here, etc. for a certain period of time (i.e. proving intent to reside here). Virginia is the opposite of Ohio in this area, unfortunately.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Chemmasc the only November interviewee to hear back? You guys are aware that EVMS is one of the few schools to encourage post-interview status checks by phone, yes?
 
i got the good news from evms last week 🙂 interviewed early november and called. SO excited!! in state, pretty average stats.
 
Just interviewed and it went better than I thought. The presentation was well-prepared and with a tasty lunch (may be due to my extreme hunger at the time). The student tour guy was really cool, and the panel interview was friendly. I wasn't ask a difficult ethical question. Hope it's not a bad sign :scared:
 
I also interviewed recently. Everyone was REALLY friendly. I was warned by one of the student tour guides that I might be asked a tough ethical question, but I didn't end up getting one. The panel was extremely friendly. I STRONGLY recommend staying with a student host - mine was wonderful.

I also strongly recommend taking an airport shuttle - http://www.onetransportationsolution.com/norfolk_rates.html
You can book in advance on their website and pay online, and they were really prompt and polite. I got a lot of good info on the local area from the drivers!
 
Hi Everyone,

Just as an FYI, I called EVMS today and asked for a status update. She told me my status and that I should hear from the admissions committee in the first two weeks of January.

Moral of the story: if you want to know your status, call, they'll probably tell you before they mail out the letters with the info.


Good Luck 🙂
and Merry/Happy Christmas/Holidays 🙂
 
I interviewed here last week.... I was very nervous about the interview after reading the horrible stories on this page... and was very pleasantly surprised when my interviewers were increadibly nice, polite, and overall amazing people... the students were all also very nice and helpful... I had a great experience at EVMS and just wanted to let those who have upcomming interviews know that not all faculty members are the monsters described above... just like at any other school, your experience at EVMS will depend on whom you get as an interviewer... so dont be too nervous!! good luck!
 
does anyone know how long EVMS gives you until you have to pay the deposit to hold your acceptance?

Hope this helps.

EVMS Department of Admissions website said:
Applicants offered positions must respond to the letter from the Dean within two weeks of acceptance. This time may be shortened as the starting date for classes approaches. An applicant accepting a position at EVMS must sign and return the Conditions of Acceptance form and a $100 acceptance deposit (which will be applied toward tuition) to hold a place in the class. The acceptance deposit is refundable prior to May 15.
 
For your data seekers...

Interviewed Early December... Relaxed, very nice interview...

33S/3.96OA/4.00BCPM Unique EC's, In-State

Waitlisted, top 1/3
 
Last edited:
For your data seekers...

Interviewed Early December... Relaxed, very nice interview...

33S/3.96OA/4.00BCPM Unique EC's, In-State

Waitlisted, top 1/3

What?! Waitlisted even with those stats....
I also had an early December interview with similar stats but OOS.
Called yesterday but no decision has been made :scared::scared:

Anyone with December interviews heard the good news?
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know what days the office is closed for the holidays? I called last week and was told to call back this week, and I just want to make sure I don't call the day AFTER they go on a two-week break... I couldn't find anything on the website, so if you have any information, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!

Interviewed early December.
 
Last edited:
I interviewed at EVMS on 12/17 and I had a really great experience. Due to the weather I only had one interviewer and it was very laid back. I really liked the school and all the new technology they will have next year. I was told that I would probably hear back in about 3 wks or I could call and check on my status.
 
For your data seekers...

Interviewed Early December... Relaxed, very nice interview...

33S/3.96OA/4.00BCPM Unique EC's, In-State

Waitlisted, top 1/3

Wow you have great stats so thats surprising. One of our tour guides said that it's been easier for OOS than IS students to get in recently. He said it was probably due to the fact that people that are IS pay less and are more likely to choose to attend than OOS. Goodluck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what days the office is closed for the holidays? I called last week and was told to call back this week, and I just want to make sure I don't call the day AFTER they go on a two-week break... I couldn't find anything on the website, so if you have any information, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!

Interviewed early December.

It seems that they are open this week 😀
 
Do people mind posting their stats? Or you can PM me if you dont mind. Thank you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.