-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Also the adcom told us that the class this year will be expanding to 135 and that it will be made up of half IS and half OOS! Great news for us OOSers.
Does anyone know what time the interview day starts? I dont remember what time she said and i was pretty stressed the day i scheduled it. Is it the same time for everyone and do they have a host program. my interview day is approaching faster than i thought.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well it looks like I got the boot today.
Fellow BU grad student on the med campus(non-MAMS); got the boot today as well. Stuck at one interview so far, hoping for more sometime soon...
Well it looks like I got the boot today. Rejected this morning. Was complete well before September with secondary but officially complete with new MCAT scores mid to late september.
Good luck to the rest of you. Kinda disappointed cuz this is one of the 10 schools BU MAMS kids have a real shot at and that looks more closely at grad GPA.
Good luck to the rest of you.
Hey, we seem to be applying to the same schools 🙂. Have you gotten any interviews/acceptances yet?
Keep your chin up, you seem to have been working for it for a long time - you'll get there 🙂.
No unfortunately that is my fear that I won't get a single interview. I guess all I can do is wait it out and know that I did what I could to get myself out of the hole I dug myself into when I was younger and pray for the best.
How come your thing on the left says med student???
Are you already accepted somewhere??
Good luck with the rest of the cycle.
Yes, two acceptances. It still hasn't sunk in but considering the number of years I've spent reforming my record to try to get into med school, I couldn't wait to change that title to 'medical student'.
I have faith, someone will give you a shot 🙂. Where are you applying? If you want you can PM me and I can tell you where on the interview trail they've been receptive to people with reformed records.
I'm a little bit hesitant since I don't have an acceptance yet anywhere and I don't want to be identified, you know, trying to stay anonymous. But yes, I felt terribly abused during the interview, and if you look back at the interview feedback that you can find on sdn, there are other reports of this, I think under the "things I wish I knew before I interviewed" section?? I think that is where it is?
I considered contacting the Dean of Admissions because it was so over the top.
I've had a fair number of interviews too, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare to.
Oh well, I'm glad others had a good experience and luck with this school. I clearly have not. Sometimes this is just the luck of the draw.
I went into the application and interview with an upbeat, happy, would definitely go here attitude. I guess, I don't have to say anything more than this; sure got that spirit kicked out of me.👎
I had a very similar experience to Nessy's when I interviewed there. I had already received an acceptance but I figured I could check EVMS out while I was in the area since you never know. I thought I would just go in with a relaxed attitude but ended up feeling very insulted and attacked by one of my interviewers. It was as if he made it a point to make me feel stupid on purpose and pick at every single sentence I said.
Needless to say, I withdrew from there as soon as possible. I also considered contacting the Dean of Admissions and letting them know about my experience--not so much because I really really wanted to go to EVMS as I did not really like the facilities and curriculum as much as the other school's, but because I don't think it is appropriate for them to conduct interviews in such a manner to make the candidates just feel like utter ----. While they may be trying to see how people respond to stressful situations, I really don't think that the purpose of med school interviews should be to insult the student, because obviously anyone would be in a less than happy mood.
Anyone complete 8/23 that has not heard anything yet? I know they give out preinterview rejections. Should I be concerned?
i was complete the same time and just got invited last week. if you call they will tell you if you have an interview that they just haven't scheduled yet.
i was complete the same time and just got invited last week. if you call they will tell you if you have an interview that they just haven't scheduled yet.
Ok cool, I have just been putting it off in the event that they have rejected me and not emailed me yet. Oh well Ill suck it up and call I guess.

Ok cool, I have just been putting it off in the event that they have rejected me and not emailed me yet. Oh well Ill suck it up and call I guess.![]()
So, what happened? Are congratulations in order?
So, what happened? Are congratulations in order?
No... I talked to a lady at the office and she said that my application had been reviewed but because I was out of state etc they were going to rereview it. She also said she would put a note on my file about how I called and expressed interest. So who knows, but she said its not a hold? It seems like a hold.
I can't believe the way things are run at EVSM.
When I said that Nov is a horrible month for me... I was told to call back in late Nov to schedule an interview in Dec. Um... why can't I schedule an interview now, rather than leaving me in limbo? Plus it would be nice to have plenty of time to book a flight to Virginia. FML. 🙁
When I said that Nov is a horrible month for me... I was told to call back in late Nov to schedule an interview in Dec. Um... why can't I schedule an interview now, rather than leaving me in limbo? Plus it would be nice to have plenty of time to book a flight to Virginia. FML. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to mention that my experiences with pre-interview, interview day, and post interview at EVMS have all been extremely respectful and professional! My interviewers were probing, but certainly respectful and interested in my opinions on various medical/ethics topics. It's unfortunate that several people seem to have had bad experiences this year, but everyone on my interview day (myself included) felt the day was conducted very well and the interviews were pretty relaxed. After interviewing at another school, I really appreciate the organization and respect that I saw at EVMS. Future interviewees: don't be discouraged by posts! There will always be interviewers that push the boundaries, but most will not 🙂 The former will inspire more posts than the latter.
Just received complete email today after having it submitted 7/2. So much for efficiency =]
Just received complete email today after having it submitted 7/2. So much for efficiency =]
man dragon that's really weird, i turned in way later and was complete.. much earlier
Hey all, i'm actually a fourth year at EVMS (Love it btw) so if you all have any questions you can message me. I know a lot about the inner workings and stuff so anything i can do to help you all out cause believe me, i remember, this application/interview process isn't fun
And as far as the interviews go I can give you a brief scoop. You will be interviewed typically by a panel of people (some people already don't like this environment, i liked it cause it meant if one person didn't like you you had others that might). They try to have the following line up - 1 student, 1 admission staff, and 1 attending. This obviously doesn't always work out, but it typically does.
They will almost always ask you an ethical question. This question shouldn't be scary, they are just trying to see 2 things usually, 1- that you stick to your guns (i.e. don't say you're against birth control and then say you'd give it to a patient), and 2 - how you react to an uncomfortable situation -- very important in medicine.
They typically also ask a health care question. No clue what kind of advice to give for this other than it is okay to say "i don't know' if they are indirectly asking about a policy etc.
Other tid bits about interviewing in general, if you don't know what you want to do (residency training wise) or are even slightly unsure, primary care in an underserved area is a good thought to bring up in an interview.
Best of luck to you all, if you have any other questions about the school or why I choose it let me know, just message me
And as far as the interviews go I can give you a brief scoop. You will be interviewed typically by a panel of people (some people already don't like this environment, i liked it cause it meant if one person didn't like you you had others that might). They try to have the following line up - 1 student, 1 admission staff, and 1 attending. This obviously doesn't always work out, but it typically does.
They will almost always ask you an ethical question. This question shouldn't be scary, they are just trying to see 2 things usually, 1- that you stick to your guns (i.e. don't say you're against birth control and then say you'd give it to a patient), and 2 - how you react to an uncomfortable situation -- very important in medicine.
They typically also ask a health care question. No clue what kind of advice to give for this other than it is okay to say "i don't know' if they are indirectly asking about a policy etc.
Other tid bits about interviewing in general, if you don't know what you want to do (residency training wise) or are even slightly unsure, primary care in an underserved area is a good thought to bring up in an interview.
Best of luck to you all, if you have any other questions about the school or why I choose it let me know, just message me
I interviewed 10/15 and called the office today and found out that I've been accepted! I'm IS male. Good luck to everyone else!
congrat, when you were completed?
I was complete in early August. Good to get things in early. My father has very fond memories of the school and its laid back atmosphere. When he attended it was the last school in the country to be doing a three year program so he finished pretty quickly. Got a killer residency in Ophthalmology. Anyway, I hear good things about the school so I'm excited for the interview although I can't schedule for a while because I broke my leg and the interviews I have been to since then have been a disaster what with the tour and having crutches and all.
Good Luck everybody!
I can't believe the way things are run at EVSM.
When I said that Nov is a horrible month for me... I was told to call back in late Nov to schedule an interview in Dec. Um... why can't I schedule an interview now, rather than leaving me in limbo? Plus it would be nice to have plenty of time to book a flight to Virginia. FML. 🙁
I called end of October and they told me the same thing... then I called again last week and they had only Nov. 19 available... the lady was very nice and let me schedule for Dec. 17 🙂 call again! they already have the december callendar!
Thanks, blh53! Called today, I am in upper third too. However, I remain a bit skeptical about this ranking scheme. So far, I have not seen anyone on SDN placed in other thirds; so they are either silent about it, or EVMS just tell everyone they are in upper third. Also, I read from last year threads that the way they take people off the waiting list, is when someone else withdraws acceptance with the same ranking, so it does not necessarily mean that people from upper 1/3 will be taken off first. Any thoughts, fellow pre-meds?you can call the admissions office and they will tell you, takes like 1 minute. they say its "encouraged" in the FAQ section of the website.
Does anyone know when/how frequently the admissions committee meets? I called today, and they said no decision was made on my file. I interviewed 10/20, and people who interviewed 10/15 (the previous interview day) are hearing results....and when I asked the the lady at the admissions office for a guess as to when a decision would be made, she said she didn't know.
Anyone have any input? I want to know!
Anyone have any input? I want to know!
Does anyone know when/how frequently the admissions committee meets? I called today, and they said no decision was made on my file. I interviewed 10/20, and people who interviewed 10/15 (the previous interview day) are hearing results....and when I asked the the lady at the admissions office for a guess as to when a decision would be made, she said she didn't know.
Anyone have any input? I want to know!
I'm pretty sure they meet on Wednesdays, so maybe you can check with them this Thursday.
probably posting this a little late. found out oct 15th via snail mail. accepted, 33O, 3.5 sGPA, IS. I liked my interviewers, just had two of them. one was an old british guy and the other was an old PhD guy. Yeah they asked healthcare and ethical questions but I guess I was well prepared.
edit: interviewed 9/7
edit: interviewed 9/7
Thanks, blh53! Called today, I am in upper third too. However, I remain a bit skeptical about this ranking scheme. So far, I have not seen anyone on SDN placed in other thirds; so they are either silent about it, or EVMS just tell everyone they are in upper third. Also, I read from last year threads that the way they take people off the waiting list, is when someone else withdraws acceptance with the same ranking, so it does not necessarily mean that people from upper 1/3 will be taken off first. Any thoughts, fellow pre-meds?
I know someone that's on the bottom third. However, as someone that was on the upper third last year and didn't get a call back, it's pretty painful to have been placed on the upper third this year 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who interviewed 10/22 heard of a decision yet? I called yesterday morning but they didn't make a decision on my file. Looking at this thread the 10/20 group hasn't heard anything yet either.
.
Last edited:
I know someone that's on the bottom third. However, as someone that was on the upper third last year and didn't get a call back, it's pretty painful to have been placed on the upper third this year 🙁
this worries me even more. are you IS or OOS?
.
Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed 10/22 heard of a decision yet? I called yesterday morning but they didn't make a decision on my file. Looking at this thread the 10/20 group hasn't heard anything yet either.
I interviewed 10/20, and I haven't heard anything.
After hearing about all the horror stories, I scheduled this interview as late as I could, lol. It's on 12/17... the last date possible to interview THIS YEAR.
After hearing about all the horror stories, I scheduled this interview as late as I could, lol. It's on 12/17... the last date possible to interview THIS YEAR.
interviewing on the same day as you! lets hope we get a not-so-terrifying panel of interviewers! I'm looking forward to being grilled! 😀
this worries me even more. are you IS or OOS?
IS. I did, however, just get an acceptance from VCOM. I liked the school a lot, and I've gotten to know plenty of DO's that have had successful careers among their MD counterparts. If I don't get called off the WL this year or into any other schools I'm interviewing, at least I'll know I'll be happy at the school I'm at next year. Good luck to everyone interviewing.
Hey,
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't see it in the other pages, but on average, how long did it take OOS students to hear back after they've submitted a secondary?
Congrats to all the accepted people 🙂 How exciting!
I sent in my secondary on a monday and was complete on the following friday.(I sent it express in a large envelope so maybe that helped) I received an invite a week and haf or two weeks after that. Interviewing in 2 days!!!! so close
Hey,
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't see it in the other pages, but on average, how long did it take OOS students to hear back after they've submitted a secondary?
Congrats to all the accepted people 🙂 How exciting!
Just got an invite today. Submitted mid Aug. For anyone who has already interviewed, what days do they interview? It doesnt say on the email and I wanted to have some idea of my options before calling them and having to decide on the spot. Thanks!
just cancelled my interview for tomorrow so u might get it. I think they interview on monday weds fridayJust got an invite today. Submitted mid Aug. For anyone who has already interviewed, what days do they interview? It doesnt say on the email and I wanted to have some idea of my options before calling them and having to decide on the spot. Thanks!
just cancelled my interview for tomorrow so u might get it. I think they interview on monday weds friday
were they cool with you cancelling the day before?
IDK i called the office and she asked me to email Webber. I had no choice got accepted somewhere yesterday and was really not looking forward to the grilling some people have experienced herewere they cool with you cancelling the day before?
IDK i called the office and she asked me to email Webber. I had no choice got accepted somewhere yesterday and was really not looking forward to the grilling some people have experienced here
also just canceled, got an acceptance right before i was going to leave.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If two thirds of the matriculating class comes off of the wait list...How good are my chances?
Does anyone know how large the wait list is?
This is my favorite school so far, any ideas how to get them to open the door?
Does anyone know how large the wait list is?
This is my favorite school so far, any ideas how to get them to open the door?
Man... I am nervous for my interview considering all the negative feedback about the rude interviewers.I hope they don't make me cry.
Don't say that. You are making me nervous as well!

- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
to all of you.