2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little bit hesitant since I don't have an acceptance yet anywhere and I don't want to be identified, you know, trying to stay anonymous. But yes, I felt terribly abused during the interview, and if you look back at the interview feedback that you can find on sdn, there are other reports of this, I think under the "things I wish I knew before I interviewed" section?? I think that is where it is?
I considered contacting the Dean of Admissions because it was so over the top.
I've had a fair number of interviews too, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare to.
Oh well, I'm glad others had a good experience and luck with this school. I clearly have not. Sometimes this is just the luck of the draw.
I went into the application and interview with an upbeat, happy, would definitely go here attitude. I guess, I don't have to say anything more than this; sure got that spirit kicked out of me.:thumbdown:

I'm sure that wasn't a fun experience for you, but why didn't you say something when you were there? I think that it is unfortunate that you felt so attacked during your interview, and I think that the admission committee should definitely know about it.
Both of my interviews were pleasant, and I got the impression that that was how the admission's committee wanted them conducted. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that wasn't a fun experience for you, but why didn't you say something when you were there? I think that it is unfortunate that you felt so attacked during your interview, and I think that the admission committee should definitely know about it.
Both of my interviews were pleasant, and I got the impression that that was how the admission's committee wanted them conducted. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing your feedback.[/QUOTE

How could I say something?? When in the context of the day?? Who would really listen to me?? I would just look like an unhappy lunatic. But I'm not. I'm a happy kid, I have a healthy number of interviews. I am an above average applicant (or at least I like to think so). Clearly another student felt this way of being ill-treated. And with some search on this, EVMS has had this reputation in the past.
It strikes me oddly that the higher tiered schools don't seem to have this little-man syndrome of: let's beat up the little guy/or woman.
I drew the short straw and got really crappy interviewers. I'll just leave it at that.

How could I say something?? When in the context of the day?? Who would really listen to me?? I would just look like an unhappy lunatic. But I'm not. I'm a happy kid, I have a healthy number of interviews. I am an above average applicant (or at least I like to think so). Clearly another student felt this way of being ill-treated. And with some search on this, EVMS has had this reputation in the past.
It strikes me oddly that the higher tiered schools don't seem to have this little-man syndrome of: let's beat up the little guy/or woman.
I drew the short straw and got really crappy interviewers. I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, I get how that might be uncomfortable. I'm not faulting you for not speaking up during the interview day. I just think that saying something during the actual day looks more professional than you might think. I agree that saying something now may look whiny, but it's entirely appropriate to bring up the fact that you felt like you had an attacking interviewer during the actual day. In fact, when I interviewed there I was told to bring it up if I felt uncomfortable and they would find me another interviewer for later on that day.

I actually had a similar experience at a "higher tiered school," so I think that may be a generalization (although neither of us had enough experience to make that call ;). Unfortunately in my case (and it sounds like the same for you), other experiences colored how I felt about the whole school, and I had already decided that I didn't want to go to the school by the time of my interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very interested for the name of the medical student that interviewed you. It is really annoying how a single person can ruin the reputation for an entire school. Could you message me if possible?

I just thought I would briefly expand on my situation. Though Nessy's bad experience came with a student interviewer, mine was actually with a faculty interviewer. (I was told the student interviewer that day hadn't bothered showing up) At one point he became so rude and aggressive that other faculty interviewer present had to ask him to calm down and move on to another line of questioning ~ which he did not.

Let me again emphasize that this was not an isolated incident, but rather an ongoing trend I have experienced with the faculty and staff at EVMS, both closely associated with the admission process and otherwise.

As a positive note of encouragement to those applying and interviewing here let me say that I have never personally had a problem with any of the students that attend EVMS. They all seem very personable, relaxed, easy to get along with and most importantly, enjoy the school they attend.

Like many have said, I guess at this school, more so than most, your day really depends on who you happen to get sitting across the table.

I just thought I would briefly expand on my situation. Though Nessy's bad experience came with a student interviewer, mine was actually with a faculty interviewer. (I was told the student interviewer that day hadn't bothered showing up) At one point he became so rude and aggressive that other faculty interviewer present had to ask him to calm down and move on to another line of questioning ~ which he did not.

i am genuinely curious about what happened here...was he not happy with one of your answers or what?

if you don't want to go into detail for anonymity, i fully respect that

Stunning...hopefully the other faculty member reported this to the AdCom.

I called for a status check yesterday (been complete since Aug. 5) and the lady told me that I have been selected for an interview but they haven't yet emailed me because they are trying to figure out the interview schedules :) anyone else in the same boat? how long did it take to get the email? I don't want to get too excited before I get the official invite!

I called for a status check yesterday (been complete since Aug. 5) and the lady told me that I have been selected for an interview but they haven't yet emailed me because they are trying to figure out the interview schedules :) anyone else in the same boat? how long did it take to get the email? I don't want to get too excited before I get the official invite!

complete since the end of august and i just got the same response. she said maybe this week?

Was the questioning with regards to a scenario/ethical question or to something in your application?

How do you check your status online...I remember the application had to be mailed in.

complete since the end of august and i just got the same response. she said maybe this week?

I hope she doesn't just automatically say it to everyone who calls just to get them off her back :D (not that you don't deserve an interview)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope she doesn't just automatically say it to everyone who calls just to get them off her back :D (not that you don't deserve an interview)

I was complete around the same time and just called. She said I had not even been reviewed yet, and that they had soooooo many OOS applications. I felt kind of bad for asking her to go check on my app...

I was complete around the same time and just called. She said I had not even been reviewed yet, and that they had soooooo many OOS applications. I felt kind of bad for asking her to go check on my app...

she actually made me feel bad for asking also, but then she was nicer after she told me.

i was beginning to think that but i already have interview invites from the other VA schools so i was wondering what the hold up was

great I have an interview here soon and this did NOT help my nerves. But thanks for the honesty

If it helps you any, my SO did two away rotations here and absolutely loved everyone she worked with and said she has never met a more relaxed group of students/residents/attendings.

Last edited:
Yes I am actually IS.

How did the interview go? Seems like there's been a lot of traffic discussing how tough they have been? Your stats look great for this school and other VA schools so you'll surely get picked up sooner than later. :luck:

How did the interview go? Seems like there's been a lot of traffic discussing how tough they have been? Your stats look great for this school and other VA schools so you'll surely get picked up sooner than later. :luck:

I felt as though the interview went well. The fact that it was a panel was a bit daunting and stressful at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. I don't have any horror stories like some of the other people on this forum. My experience was fairly casual and I thought I did well. Apparently not well enough:confused:.

My impression of the school was positive overall. It seemed as though things were a bit disorganized between the hospital tour and the tour of the school facility. Overall the students seemed happy and were knowledgable about questions.

It should be comforting that I'm an example (unfortunately) of how it's not 100% about the numbers. Much of the interview is subjective and I guess I didn't impress my interviewers as much as other people. Good luck to everyone applying!

Nonetheless top 1/3 of waitlist. It would be worse if it was bottom 1/3 or middle 1/3

This means you still have a chance of getting in.

Yes but I'm not in control of my own destiny. It's not a very comfortable place to be in.

I think it varies from year to year. From reading last year's thread there wasn't a lot of movement on the IS waitlist. Maybe this year will have more, maybe it won't. It all depends on how the dominos fall with each applicant. My acceptance is dependent on other people withdrawing, hence, not in control of my own destiny.

Yes, the process could be better

Last edited:
Yes, they were very very rude here. I got a number of off-topic bigoted questions because my interviewer made wrong assumptions about who I was based off my application. The student just had a bad attitude and was very unprofessional. She also asked some of the stupidest questions Ive ever thought I may encounter. I hope they have a survey to fill out :mad:

Gosh, my heart bleeds for you:(
They are horrible, horrible.:eek:
Why doesn't someone in their establishment look into this.

Perhaps EVMS might really want to think about who they are allowing to interact with the applicants.

Last edited:
just got the interview invite... excited for another interview :) scared after reading all the terrible interview stories :scared:

just got the interview invite... excited for another interview :) scared after reading all the terrible interview stories :scared:

I drew the short straw which amounted to bad Karma (horrible interviewing individuals) and an awful experience. That happens in life and I am moving on.

This most likely won't happen to you and it is important for you to be upbeat and confident :thumbup:, and maybe by knowing that this confrontational situation could happen to you, you'll be better prepared than I was.

Best of luck to you :luck:

As a student at EVMS, I'm sorry for those of you who had such bad interview experiences. I know our interviews can be stressful depending on the interviewer, but I've never heard of things like what you guys are describing. If it was really that bad and you think you've been treated unfairly, I would suggest talking to someone in the admissions office, like Sue Castora or Dr. Solhaug.

To those of you with upcoming interviews, good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know for sure yet if you're attending EVMS next year?

OOS, accepted :) first acceptance so far so am thrilled.

congrats!! Do you get an acceptance email? How about for the waitlist? Does anyone know if thats an email as well? When did you interview?

I answered my own question by calling, and was ACCEPTED! First accept, best news of my entire life!

Now that Im in, I want to comment also on the interview format, which I also thought was horrible. I interviewed at seven schools and found EVMS to be easily the most high-stress and most unfriendly. I had two older gentlemen interview me and they ended up reverting into "good old boy, lets push the new guy around" mode, asking lots of leading questions and really pushing the conversation into becoming uncomfortable at times. It was easily the least enjoyable interview I had, which isn't good if the school is trying to sell kids.

That being said, I hung tough and stayed professional throughout the course of the interview and it seems to have paid off. Use what everyone on here is saying to prep yourself for what might be a rough interview.

Also, besides the interview, EVMS is awesome. Students seem really nice and normal/not gunner. From what I've heard, education is superb and the facilities rock and are only getting better next year. So, yeah, EVMS c/o 2015!!!!

I answered my own question by calling, and was ACCEPTED! First accept, best news of my entire life!

Congrats! When did you interview? I'm trying to figure out what the actual turn around time is for the interview to decision phase and when it's best to call.

Interview invitation!
3.6 34R Father is Alumnus OOS

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you all know that I will be withdrawing my acceptance today. I was fortunate enough to receive three acceptances so far and think it would be unfair for me to keep more than two!

Good luck to the rest of you! EVMS is a great school :)

interview invite today, complete at the end of august. they're still scheduling in november

If anyone is interviewing on 11/10 and wants to do something like split a hotel or split gas on the drive, PM me.

Interviewing 11/17, pumped! PM me if anybody wants to split a hotel room or get together the night before or something!

guys you can find cheap hotels in hotwire.com, like $50 per night

I got put on the wait list. Total bummer. At least I'm in the upper 1/3.

I got put on the wait list. Total bummer. At least I'm in the upper 1/3.

How does everyone know about the ranking? I also got a letter yesterday saying that I am on the waiting list, but it did not say whether I was in upper or lower third. Where can I look it up? Thanks!

how long after your interviews did you call and get a status update? I interviewed Oct 15th and am wondering when to call. Also, if anyone on this board who interviewed Oct 15th finds out an update please post so I know I can call. If i hear and update I'll do the same

how long after your interviews did you call and get a status update? I interviewed Oct 15th and am wondering when to call. Also, if anyone on this board who interviewed Oct 15th finds out an update please post so I know I can call. If i hear and update I'll do the same

I'm in the same boat here. Guess we can call pretty soon, I've heard the time frame is about 2 weeks.

How does everyone know about the ranking? I also got a letter yesterday saying that I am on the waiting list, but it did not say whether I was in upper or lower third. Where can I look it up? Thanks!

you can call the admissions office and they will tell you, takes like 1 minute. they say its "encouraged" in the FAQ section of the website.

Called this morning. No decision made as of today for me (interviewed 10/15). Unsure if that applies to everyone that interviewed that day or not. Either way, will be calling again next week :xf:

yeah, I called once this week and there was no update. I'll probably stick to calling once a week just to show my interest, but I don't want to call too much and hassle them. I'll post the result of my call next time

People walked out of their interviews today with absolute mortified looks on their faces and said that their interviews were extremely intense. I was the last of my group and found my interview to be exactly the opposite. I really enjoyed my interview and thought it was very laid back.

Status
Not open for further replies.