2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I would consider it decently early in LSU's process all the way to Nov./Dec. From what I remember being told, while LSU is a rolling admissions school and people are accepted during this time (me and met can vouch for that), LSU tends to put a lot of people on a "no further action" status. That means you aren't rejected, you aren't accepted, and you are kind of in limbo. Anyway, when Jan. rolls around, I was told LSU really starts handing out the acceptances.

This is a pretty accurate statement. Apparently, most of the class gets accepted in December or later - that's when a lot of the 'no further action' people get in.

Also, note that not many people got off the waitlist and into our class and I don't really see it getting any better this year.

Glad to see this thread moving again, but I really need to stop coming on SDN right now. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

"Yes. I would consider it decently early in LSU's process all the way to Nov./Dec. From what I remember being told, while LSU is a rolling admissions school and people are accepted during this time (me and met can vouch for that), LSU tends to put a lot of people on a "no further action" status. That means you aren't rejected, you aren't accepted, and you are kind of in limbo. Anyway, when Jan. rolls around, I was told LSU really starts handing out the acceptances."

dr. Eubanks said this specifically. They hold no further action generally until they get a better idea of their whole applicant pool.

Were you on Monday's or Tuesday's group?

Tuesday people walked right by my tank and we made a few comments to them.

Monday.. y'all looked like you may or may not be starring in the next episode of criminal minds with the butcher's aprons.. heh..

oh, and today was the first "maybe the letters will be mailed out" day for EDP. obsessively racing home to my mailbox from work starting tomorrow? yes, count me in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just officially received the "Acknowledgment of Completion" email!

Time to hurry up and wait :xf:

"oh, and today was the first "maybe the letters will be mailed out" day for EDP. obsessively racing home to my mailbox from work starting tomorrow? yes, count me in."

:barf: let the waiting nausea set in

Same here with the complete e-mail today, do most people receive an interview invite within say 2 weeks? I turned my secondary in at the end of August

thank god i live 10 minutes by car away from campus.. letter mailed out yesterday, received today.

LSU-NO MEDICAL SCHOOL CLASS OF 2015!!!

oh big time happy dance..

thank god i live 10 minutes by car away from campus.. letter mailed out yesterday, received today.

So happy for you. Congrats.

Big congrats!

Congrats!!!!! That's gotta be the most amazing feeling!

Hi, how long ago did you send in your application and how long did it take for you to receive this email? I've been waiting forever since I sent my stuff in...

Hi, how long ago did you send in your application and how long did it take for you to receive this email? I've been waiting forever since I sent my stuff in...

Hey, I submitted my AMCAS on June 1st and secondary on July 3rd. However, I retook the mcat and my new scores weren't updated until Sept. 7th.

From what it sounds like, LSU is probably one of the slowest schools when it comes to the application process, so don't drive yourself crazy with worrying. You could always give them a call to make sure they received everything.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey, I submitted my AMCAS on June 1st and secondary on July 3rd. However, I retook the mcat and my new scores weren't updated until Sept. 7th.

From what it sounds like, LSU is probably one of the slowest schools when it comes to the application process, so don't drive yourself crazy with worrying. You could always give them a call to make sure they received everything.

Good luck! :luck:

Okay cool! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! Welcome to the family :)

So I checked with admissions, and they did send out letters to all the first EDP applicants, regardless of accepted or not. Still haven't gotten mine, and it was mailed a week ago. Have a feeling it got lost in the mail, as I got a letter from Oregon that was mailed after LSU sent theirs out. I was told to wait another couple days and they'd send another out if I still didn't have it (did verify my address was right).

Dunno what I did to incur the wrath of the USPS, but I'm sorry! :(

So I checked with admissions, and they did send out letters to all the first EDP applicants, regardless of accepted or not. Still haven't gotten mine, and it was mailed a week ago. Have a feeling it got lost in the mail, as I got a letter from Oregon that was mailed after LSU sent theirs out. I was told to wait another couple days and they'd send another out if I still didn't have it (did verify my address was right).

Dunno what I did to incur the wrath of the USPS, but I'm sorry! :(

if i were at all sneaky or acrobatic, i would offer to climb into the admin office tonight through the A/C ducts, but unfortunately, I am not.

if i were at all sneaky or acrobatic, i would offer to climb into the admin office tonight through the A/C ducts, but unfortunately, I am not.

:laugh: well thank you. When I called, I was told I was mailed another different letter that day, so I'm hoping it was financial aid or some such :xf:

Anyone else receive an interview invite today? My friend did without ever receiving a complete email. I haven't received the complete or an invite... submitted my stuff back in August... I know you said to be patient so I shall try. But just wondering!!!

For all of you looking for timeline info

Turned in my AMCAS on June 16th
My AMCAS was processed on June 29th

Received my secondary app on June 25th
Turned in my secondary around July 15th

Received my interview invitation on Aug 23rd & interviewed on Sept 22nd!
Interview was really relaxed for all of you wondering so don't be nervous. Although, I did get a new interviewer (or so my student interviewer informed me) who asked me some unexpected tough questions like "If you had to go back and redo one mistake in your life what would it be?" and "If you had a terminally ill patient, how would you handle the situation?" and "What do you think is the hardest part about being a doctor?" My other interviews were more geared towards talking about myself (application, interests, family, etc).

Also during my interviews, the L1s were all frantic about their first block tests which were this week so the cadaver lab was like a zoo of frantic overachievers which was hilarious. I thought the simulation lab and facilities were awesome too.

Dr. Eubanks said they will do their first review of applicants on Oct. 8 and send out letters for Oct. 15th (including rejection, acceptance and "under active review" letters).

Hope this helps anyone looking for info! Good luck!

Also a few questions for any current students that I forgot to ask at my interview
1) What was the average USMLE Step 1 score for last year?
2) How much time do you spend rotating in Lafayette, Baton Rouge or elsewhere outside of NOLA?

Last edited:

Dr. Eubanks said it was higher than the national average, but he didn't give a number.

USPS didn't lose my mail.I mislabeled my address apartment number as a PO Box number, so everything's been getting returned. Resolved now though, so hopefully will know by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am really, really dumb :cool:

Last edited:
For all of you looking for timeline info

Turned in my AMCAS on June 16th
My AMCAS was processed on June 29th

Received my secondary app on June 25th
Turned in my secondary around July 15th

Received my interview invitation on Aug 23rd & interviewed on Sept 22nd!
Interview was really relaxed for all of you wondering so don't be nervous. Although, I did get a new interviewer (or so my student interviewer informed me) who asked me some unexpected tough questions like "If you had to go back and redo one mistake in your life what would it be?" and "If you had a terminally ill patient, how would you handle the situation?" and "What do you think is the hardest part about being a doctor?" My other interviews were more geared towards talking about myself (application, interests, family, etc).

Also during my interviews, the L1s were all frantic about their first block tests which were this week so the cadaver lab was like a zoo of frantic overachievers which was hilarious. I thought the simulation lab and facilities were awesome too.

Dr. Eubanks said they will do their first review of applicants on Oct. 8 and send out letters for Oct. 15th (including rejection, acceptance and "under active review" letters).

Hope this helps anyone looking for info! Good luck!

Also a few questions for any current students that I forgot to ask at my interview
2) How much time do you spend rotating in Lafayette, Baton Rouge or elsewhere outside of NOLA?

The lab may have been a zoo of overachievers but I was not one of them. Count me in with the underachievers. :laugh:

Dr. Eubanks said it was higher than the national average, but he didn't give a number.

They're all higher than the national average.

Almost everyone spends at least a month elsewhere. I have 10 weeks in Baton Rouge.

The Step hasn't been great last couple years. They haven't told us this year's average yet, I guess because people are still taking it.

:laugh: well thank you. When I called, I was told I was mailed another different letter that day, so I'm hoping it was financial aid or some such :xf:

I got two follow up letters (on two different days) from the people that interviewed me saying that they hope I accept the offer of a seat in the class. So if it's a different letter being sent out, it's probably that letter b/c they don't send anything else until the spring from what I was told (by cathie stuckey).

Does LSU Nola do a student hosting program for interview invites?

i knew it!

Congrats!

I look forward to seeing you guys next year! We're 3 for 7 so far..

Chinesebandits - you're finishing your PhD, right?

Nope I was the guy with the university of georgia tag, but I'm taking some post-bacc classes at UNO. Actually we are at least 4 for 7 from our group because I know someone else got in too. Must have been a solid group!! Hope the other 3 had the same luck. See ya'll next year.

Nope I was the guy with the university of georgia tag, but I'm taking some post-bacc classes at UNO. Actually we are at least 4 for 7 from our group because I know someone else got in too. Must have been a solid group!! Hope the other 3 had the same luck. See ya'll next year.

I saw chinesebandits and assumed LSU.. who else got in?

so far from our group:
Tulane
Georgia
Alabama
?

Having just interviewed at LSU on Tuesday, I was incredibly pleased and impressed with the overall process and the school. @Natxbug, glad to hear that a fellow Tulanian got in :D!

I saw chinesebandits and assumed LSU.. who else got in?

so far from our group:
Tulane
Georgia
Alabama
?

and UNO. Which leaves Vandy, ULL, and finally a good school....LSU. We definitely had a varied group as far as colleges go. Although I did go to LSU for my first two years of undergrad and am an LSU football fan, hence the name. This time I plan on finishing there :D

Im still waiting for my damn letters of reccomendation to get confirmed on my AMCAS. Hopefully by next week it shows up. Hopefully it isn't too late =(

Im still waiting for my damn letters of reccomendation to get confirmed on my AMCAS. Hopefully by next week it shows up. Hopefully it isn't too late =(

My committee letter was sent to AMCAS on Wednesday morning, confirmed by AMCAS Thursday morning (they said over the phone that once AMCAS receives the letter it could take up to two days to change your AMCAS status and make it available to your choice schools), and received an interview invitation from LSU New Orleans Friday. I never got a "complete" email. The interview invite came late Friday afternoon, so I'll have to call on Monday to schedule a date and time.

For those that look for stats for comparison purposes: I'm not EDP, nor do I have exceptional stats (3.73 cummulative, 3.71 bcmp, 29-S MCAT, 30 year old active duty military).

Bottom line is you could find yourself looking at an interview invitation the day after your AMCAS letter status has been updated. It is very apparent they look at applications even before they are complete. At least this is the case in New Orleans. Chin up, keep on truckin!

I'm sure most of y'all have figured this out by now, but LSU doesn't really tell you that you are "complete." You kind of have to figure it out for yourself or call them on that one day per week that they take status inquiries. I should have stated this earlier.

By now this news doesn't matter for some people, but for those still waiting - good luck.

I'm sure most of y'all have figured this out by now, but LSU doesn't really tell you that you are "complete." You kind of have to figure it out for yourself or call them on that one day per week that they take status inquiries. I should have stated this earlier.

By now this news doesn't matter for some people, but for those still waiting - good luck.

Yeah, I ended up receiving a complete email but my friend who also received an interview did not. Not sure why this is....

If I get a subscore 6 on MCAT is that a big deal? What if my total is acceptable though?

Dr. Eubanks said they do accept people with subscores of 6 so I'm relieved!:xf:

99% chance I will start lsu-nola in the fall. very excited and grateful...and wishing the best for everyone who is still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.