2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
99% chance I will start lsu-nola in the fall. very excited and grateful...and wishing the best for everyone who is still waiting.

congrats on the acceptance! I hope to see you next fall!

good luck everyone, and keep us posted!

For anyone else who didn't go to an LA school for u grad, get excited, because tops money applies to med school! $25k pocketed

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone else who didn't go to an LA school for u grad, get excited, because tops money applies to med school! $25k pocketed

Seriously? If we were awarded tops back in senior year of high school, we can use it for med school? Wait, where did you learn about this? PM me!

Any news about the interview schedule for next week for anyone else interviewing next week?

I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but you are right in some circumstances...I think.

From http://www.osfa.la.gov/MainSitePDFs/TOPS_Q_and_A.pdf (see also http://www.osfa.la.gov/schgrt6.htm )

Will TOPS pay for graduate or professional school?
Yes. If you completed an undergraduate degree without exhausting all 8 semesters or 12 quarters of eligibility, you may receive the period of eligibility remaining if you enroll in an eligible graduate or professional school no later than the fall semester following the one year anniversary of completion of your undergraduate degree and have met the requirements for continuation of your award.
If you have enrolled in an eligible Louisiana public professional school (veterinary, pharmacy, law, medical, etc.), the TOPS award amount is equal to the tuition charged by the school or an amount equal to the tuition charged by the highest cost public school for pursuit of a baccalaureate degree, whichever is less.
If you have enrolled in an eligible Louisiana private professional school, the TOPS award amount is calculated by dividing the total dollar value of awards (excluding award stipends) made under TOPS at public postsecondary institutions in the prior academic year to students attending public colleges and universities, by the total number of students that received the awards (weighted average).
If you enroll in a graduate degree program at an eligible Louisiana college or university, the TOPS award amount is equal to the tuition at the school or the tuition charged for a student while pursuing a baccalaureate degree at the highest cost public school in the state, whichever is less.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but you are right in some circumstances...I think.

From http://www.osfa.la.gov/MainSitePDFs/TOPS_Q_and_A.pdf (see also http://www.osfa.la.gov/schgrt6.htm )

Will TOPS pay for graduate or professional school?
Yes. If you completed an undergraduate degree without exhausting all 8 semesters or 12 quarters of eligibility, you may receive the period of eligibility remaining if you enroll in an eligible graduate or professional school no later than the fall semester following the one year anniversary of completion of your undergraduate degree and have met the requirements for continuation of your award.
If you have enrolled in an eligible Louisiana public professional school (veterinary, pharmacy, law, medical, etc.), the TOPS award amount is equal to the tuition charged by the school or an amount equal to the tuition charged by the highest cost public school for pursuit of a baccalaureate degree, whichever is less.
If you have enrolled in an eligible Louisiana private professional school, the TOPS award amount is calculated by dividing the total dollar value of awards (excluding award stipends) made under TOPS at public postsecondary institutions in the prior academic year to students attending public colleges and universities, by the total number of students that received the awards (weighted average).
If you enroll in a graduate degree program at an eligible Louisiana college or university, the TOPS award amount is equal to the tuition at the school or the tuition charged for a student while pursuing a baccalaureate degree at the highest cost public school in the state, whichever is less.

So a 2009 graduate couldn't use it then. Ah, well, I hope you guys can!

Yeah, it looks like they allow you one gap year out of college before they take it away, sorry :(

Still no word from New Orleans about an interview. Been complete since August. Kind of discouraging.

Still no word from New Orleans about an interview. Been complete since August. Kind of discouraging.

How could they keep out someone named LSU?

Same here.... Anyone know the day of the week N.O. sends out interview invites or the time frame from invite to actual interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just completed last week- thanks to a delayed rec letter, i probably have a while to hear back anything....

I put my secondary in the mail last Friday (11/5/10). I got the email this morning at 10:10 AM that it had been received & my application was complete.

At 10:11 AM, I got the interview invite! :D

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted or received interviews!

We just finished our 2nd round of exams, so I'll try and visit here more often.

Good luck to everybody still waiting and remember, it's still early.

My AMCAS was verified on 11-1-2010 and I had already submitted my secondaries before that was verified. I still have not heard anything, so I called the admissions office and they said my file was complete. I guess I am getting a little anxious! I at least want an email update or something

My AMCAS was verified on 11-1-2010 and I had already submitted my secondaries before that was verified. I still have not heard anything, so I called the admissions office and they said my file was complete. I guess I am getting a little anxious! I at least want an email update or something

You may get one, you may not. I never actually found out that I was complete. If you called and they said you're complete, all you can do is wait.

Don't worry, it's still early for LSU-NO. The majority of the acceptances happen next year.

Is it true that we should know our status by May if we are accepted? I am applying to this other program in May if I don't get in so I hope I know by then...

This post made me a sad panda... :scared::xf:

I'm sorry my post made you sad... I was just so excited :D

It'll be ok I promise! LSU-NO is normally a little behind the curve from what I hear unless you do early decision, there's no telling when they'll contact you.

Patience... It sucks... but it's a virtue :)

Has anyone on here been accepted who wasn't early decision? If so, would you mind sharing your interview date? Just curious to see what the actual timeline is like. You can PM me if you'd like.

Has anyone on here been accepted who wasn't early decision? If so, would you mind sharing your interview date? Just curious to see what the actual timeline is like. You can PM me if you'd like.

Interviewed on September 21, acceptance letter came in the mail on October 18 (they could not release acceptances until October 15 per AMCAS regs). The committee meets every three weeks, so you might have to wait a while for your letter. Next committee meeting is this Friday if I'm not mistaken. Hang in there it's a long process.

Congratulations to all the other accepted folks!

Interviewed on September 21, acceptance letter came in the mail on October 18 (they could not release acceptances until October 15 per AMCAS regs). The committee meets every three weeks, so you might have to wait a while for your letter. Next committee meeting is this Friday if I'm not mistaken. Hang in there it's a long process.

Congratulations to all the other accepted folks!

Cool. They told us the committee was meeting the 12th, was just curious. Thanks!

interviewed 9/22. received acceptance via snail mail on 10/19.

any other people know they are going to LSU-Nola? I'm at 99.9% certainty, and think it would be fun to meet up for a drink (with applicants or current med students or whoever reads this thing) or something in new orleans.

any other people know they are going to LSU-Nola? I'm at 99.9% certainty, and think it would be fun to meet up for a drink (with applicants or current med students or whoever reads this thing) or something in new orleans.

I'm early decision so... Yes, I'm certain! :p

I'm currently in the process of applying to high school teaching jobs and will defer acceptance for a year (already spoke with Dr. McClugage) if I land one in a desirable location, but if not, I'll be entering Fall 2011. Would be down to go for drinks with some potential classmates either way though.

Wow you would really defer a year to teach?? You must be a special person!:)

I'm early decision so... Yes, I'm certain! :p

I'm currently in the process of applying to high school teaching jobs and will defer acceptance for a year (already spoke with Dr. McClugage) if I land one in a desirable location, but if not, I'll be entering Fall 2011. Would be down to go for drinks with some potential classmates either way though.

Preparing for the upcoming year, I see.

:laugh:

Wow you would really defer a year to teach?? You must be a special person!:)

In general, I think it's probably a good idea to get some kind of real world experience before nearly dedicating life to the medical world for 8 years. Beyond that, teaching high school is something I've wanted to do for a variety of reasons for quite a while, and would probably be third choice of career behind medicine and clinical health psych. I certainly don't feel like I'm martyring myself through teaching :p

Preparing for the upcoming year, I see.

:laugh:

I have to slowly transition back into New Orleans culture somehow... :D

I have an interview coming up with New Orleans and was curious if anyone who has already been could tell me what the interview process was like? Did you feel good about it after it was over?

1 hour talk about the school, tour with med students, food with med students, more tour and burn a little time with med students, interviews.

anyone else on here interviewing this tuesday (November 30)?

So Dr. Eubanks is the new dean of admissions this year? I hope that's good news for me since this is my 3rd year applying and I have spoken with him a lot the past few years.

Was it sent to your preferred mailing address or permanent, assuming they were different? I guess this if for anyone who has already received his or her acceptance letter....

Was it sent to your preferred mailing address or permanent, assuming they were different? I guess this if for anyone who has already received his or her acceptance letter....

They were different. It came to my preferred.

Nice. Thanks! Waiting for my letter... Nervous about the "accepted list..."

The waiting is horrible. In a process filled with agonizing waits, the time between when the adcom meets and you receive a letter is among the worst. Hang in there and good luck.

I hope everyone that interviewed on Nov 30 gets in!! The letters go out after the adcom meets on Dec 17; such an agonizing wait even though it is just around the corner.
Although, I am a little worried I'll get a still under review status instead of being accepted, they even told us that they do not hand out most of their acceptance offers until 2011. Guess Ill have to wait with great anticipation until that letter arrives in the mail.

Out of curiosity, will anyone be looking for a roommate or anything?

Remember, don't stress out around Christmas time. Between then and New Year's is your time to chill and not worry about applications before they resume activities for the new year.

Look forward to seeing those accepted (and those waiting) next fall and hopefully in the spring for Camp Tiger.

For those who got in, was it a large envelope or a small one? Just curious.

So Dr. Eubanks is the new dean of admissions this year? I hope that's good news for me since this is my 3rd year applying and I have spoken with him a lot the past few years.

Same here, I never even met McCluggoch (sp?) but Eubanks was very encouraging the last time I spoke with him. :)

Yeah i felt that Eubanks was a lot more on my side, i never spoke with Mcluggidge either...

Hi all,
I will be applying in the next application cycle (2012 entry), and I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer: 1. I will be enrolled in courses during the summer and fall semesters of the next application cycle. What will be the last grades to be used in my GPA calculations, the final summer grades or the final fall grades? 2. Do all prerequisites need to be complete at the time of application, or just before entry? 3. As far as science GPA, are all science and math courses computed into that, or is it just the required science and math courses? 4. At this time I have no extracurricular, volunteer, or clinical experiences; however, I do plan to begin these things after the holidays are over. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I should do? I was thinking of volunteering at my local food bank, and shadowing a few physicians in the specialties that interest me; are these things acceptable, or does the admissions committee prefer different experiences?

Hi all,
I will be applying in the next application cycle (2012 entry), and I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer: 1. I will be enrolled in courses during the summer and fall semesters of the next application cycle. What will be the last grades to be used in my GPA calculations, the final summer grades or the final fall grades? 2. Do all prerequisites need to be complete at the time of application, or just before entry? 3. As far as science GPA, are all science and math courses computed into that, or is it just the required science and math courses? 4. At this time I have no extracurricular, volunteer, or clinical experiences; however, I do plan to begin these things after the holidays are over. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I should do? I was thinking of volunteering at my local food bank, and shadowing a few physicians in the specialties that interest me; are these things acceptable, or does the admissions committee prefer different experiences?

First word of advice: be wary of posting questions here whose answers are easily found by reading the amcas website or searching the forum...from what I can tell, people get really, really angry. It doesn't bother me all that much though. still, you need to read through this at least: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/

I don't pretend to be an expert. But I just did this process (non-trad, post-bacc, etc), so here's what I would say:

1. depends when you submit your amcas app. Amcas computes averages that the adcoms will use, and they can only arrive at that number with the materials you submit. Stuff you submit later will not go into those amcas averages. Though, obviously, the schools themselves will look at the grades you've made after. Unless you apply very, very (and probably far too) late, your fall grades will not go into the aamc gpa...submission of the primary is usually done by the early fall of the year before you start (for you, thats fall 2011).

2. at most schools, before matriculation, not before application. but I should think you'd want to have as much done as possible by the time they are reading your app.

3. I think it's all bio, chem, physics, math courses that go into science gpa. there's also a cumulative gpa. but that's one that's easy to look up.

4. everyone you talk to will give a different answer. a dean of a certain med school once advised me to volunteer in something that showed a desire to be involved in the lives of other people...I'm not sure food bank is the best way, but who knows. I'd try for something like hospice, tutoring the unprivileged, etc. I should think a medical angle would only help. Think of it this way: you want the volunteer stuff you do right before medical school to be part of the narrative of why you want to be a physician. Can you make food bank volunteer fit? Only you know that.

The most important thing for you to do is read up on the intricacies of the process--aamc, med school admissions websites, etc. Get up to speed immediately. Advice from this forum can be useful, but it is simply not a replacement for figuring out the basics on your own. Good luck.

Hi all,

okay, I'll give it a crack...
1) Depends on when you submit your application. If you submit in June, your Spring '11 grades would be the last grades to count in the GPA calculation that is on your app; if you submit in August, your Summer grades would be the last ones. You would then update LSU with your Fall '11 grades when you get those. Your app is sort of a dynamic thing in that you are obligated to update schools about your grades following submission of your application, so it's not like your GPA just freezes once you hit that submit button.

2) Before entry, but you may want to have them done before taking the MCAT...Also I'd guess that LSU wants to see how well you've fared in these courses, so it probably helps to have that body of work by the time you put in your application.

3) All of 'em

4) No rules here...I'd advise spending the bulk of your volunteer hours doing something you enjoy. It helps having some "clinical" volunteer experience to reinforce the notion that you have some idea of what you're getting yourself in to, but beyond that I think they just look for well-rounded people. I basically volunteered in the ER and did some tutoring.

good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.