2010-2011 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. This gives me hope.

I think my interviews went well. I had one by a local physician and then two at MUSC. They were all pretty stress free and were more like a conversation than an interview.

One of my interviews lasted two hours though (I don't know if that is good or bad) because I seemed to have a lot in common with my interivewer.

I think they said something about finding out as early as today if we are accepted.

Good luck! I think you might get an email by tomorrow around noon. I hope its a good news. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does interview by a local physician a norm or they conduct it at random or some specific cases?

Does interview by a local physician a norm or they conduct it at random or some specific cases?

They conduct local interviews if 1) you're instate and 2) there are any alumni in your area. If there isn't one, then they simply don't. I am instate, and did not have a local interview because there wasn't one around where I live, and so I had all three interviews during my interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
They conduct local interviews if 1) you're instate and 2) there are any alumni in your area. If there isn't one, then they simply don't. I am instate, and did not have a local interview because there wasn't one around where I live, and so I had all three interviews during my interview day.
thanks ilton
I live not very far away so there are many Alumni in my area.
It is good if 1 interview is conducted in advance.
thank again

Interviewed 1/21 and my application is on hold.

Still hoping for acceptance come April.

Interviewed 1/21 and my application is on hold.

Still hoping for acceptance come April.

Are all applications "on hold" not considered until April??? or do they lower the acceptance score each month leading up to April?

If any of you would be so kind and share your interview experience I would really appreciate it.

(what were you asked? how long was each interview? did they ask about any bad grades (IF ANY lol)? etc etc etc)

Thanks!

I have an interview in March. Crazy late.:xf:

Greetings,

Does anyone know what the criteria is for an in-state applicant to get an interview?

Last edited:
If any of you would be so kind and share your interview experience I would really appreciate it.

(what were you asked? how long was each interview? did they ask about any bad grades (IF ANY lol)? etc etc etc)

Thanks!

What are you stats if you don't mind me asking? I have an interview in March as well.

Thanks!

Each interview is going to vary considerably based on who your interviewer is. Each of my interviews lasted between 30 minutes and an hour. I have a period of bad grades on my transcript and each interviewer did ask about that. Other than that they were pretty generic questions. What do you do for fun? Tell me about your family. What type of doctor do you want to be? etc. The interviews were very straightforward and pretty low key. Try not to be too nervous. Hope this helps!

Each interview is going to vary considerably based on who your interviewer is. Each of my interviews lasted between 30 minutes and an hour. I have a period of bad grades on my transcript and each interviewer did ask about that. Other than that they were pretty generic questions. What do you do for fun? Tell me about your family. What type of doctor do you want to be? etc. The interviews were very straightforward and pretty low key. Try not to be too nervous. Hope this helps!

This was my experiance as well. My local interview lasted approximately 30 minutes as well as one of my onsite interviews. However I did have an interview that lasted 2 hours. All of my interviewers asked about my family. I think I got asked only one question about my motivation for becoming a doctor, which I found rather strange.

Good Luck :luck:

Are all applications "on hold" not considered until April??? or do they lower the acceptance score each month leading up to April?

I'm not sure... I'm going off the "on-hold" email I recieved which said:

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for the 2011 entering class of the College of Medicine and you are being placed on hold. Although you have not been selected for acceptance at this time, your application remains viable and will be reviewed again at the end of the interview cycle (mid April)."

I would be nice if they would consider me before mid april.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure... I'm going off the "on-hold" email I recieved which said:

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for the 2011 entering class of the College of Medicine and you are being placed on hold. Although you have not been selected for acceptance at this time, your application remains viable and will be reviewed again at the end of the interview cycle (mid April)."

I would be nice if they would consider me before mid april.
All the best kkat. I hope you get in.

Yes it would be nice to hear before then. I have heard that they re-evaluate the cut off score at each months admissions meeting but this year it has yet to change from the beginning cut off score. Anyone know what happens when the cut off score lowers? Do they contact you if you are above it or do you still have to wait until april???

I was told we'd hear back from MUSC on the last Tuesday of the month. Is this true?

I was told we'd hear back from MUSC on the last Tuesday of the month. Is this true?

Not sure when you interviewed, but I think I remember Dr. Underwood saying that the adcom meets on the 22nd of this month, and that we could expect to hear within a day or two.

Greetings,

Does anyone know what the criteria is for an in-state applicant to get an interview?

It depends on what school you go to. I'm from Wofford and they told us we needed a 30 on the MCAT if we had a 3.3 to get an interview. Each 0.1 you go up on your GPA, drop a point off the MCAT requirement. So with a 3.5, you could drop down to a 28 and get an interview.

Again, this does vary based on school. If you go to Furman or an Honors College (e.g., Clemson, USC), I'd image that the process would be similar. To be sure ask your pre-health careers advisor.

It depends on what school you go to. I'm from Wofford and they told us we needed a 30 on the MCAT if we had a 3.3 to get an interview. Each 0.1 you go up on your GPA, drop a point off the MCAT requirement. So with a 3.5, you could drop down to a 28 and get an interview.

Again, this does vary based on school. If you go to Furman or an Honors College (e.g., Clemson, USC), I'd image that the process would be similar. To be sure ask your pre-health careers advisor.

I don't think it's quite this simple. If you have zero volunteering/shadowing experience and/or a bad personal statement I don't think this applies. I think you're oversimplifying the process.

I don't think it's quite this simple. If you have zero volunteering/shadowing experience and/or a bad personal statement I don't think this applies. I think you're oversimplifying the process.

True, you do of course have to have the shadowing experience. But I highly doubt they even look at your personal statement if your MCAT and GPA don't calculate into a magic number that tells them to ask for secondaries/interview. And the personal statement idea is valid, too. But I really think it would be difficult to write a horrible personal statement unless you did it right before the deadline.

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of word about acceptance today. :scared: Anyone else? Please post if you hear something! Good luck to everyone!

Same here. I've been checking my email all morning. lol Best of luck!

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of word about acceptance today. :scared: Anyone else? Please post if you hear something! Good luck to everyone!

I got an email saying they didn't review my file because they hadn't received interview scores from the local physician. Called the admissions office and they basically refused to help. Very frustrating. Good luck to everyone else.

I am also on the edge of my seat waiting get an email!

On hold until April :( I am super super upset. I knew that's what would happen because of my abysmally low MCAT score, but it is still super disappointing. I almost wish they hadn't have given me an interview...I had been complete since July, obviously they looked at my application and put it away many times....then I got a surprise interview for the 11th....I was all set to go to Tennessee, and had given up hope on MUSC. And then I got the interview, and I was so excited! I knew it was still a longshot, but it got my hopes all up, and now they are crushed again. I live in Charleston with my long term boyfriend, and all I want in the world is to go to MUSC. I work here, I did all my volunteering here (as well as associated free clinics on John's island). I thought my interviews went really well...I know it is because of my MCAT. Stupid physical sciences section. :(

Does anyone know if they actually reject people post interview? Or if this On Hold e-mail really means there is still hope?

On hold until April :( I am super super upset. I knew that's what would happen because of my abysmally low MCAT score, but it is still super disappointing. I almost wish they hadn't have given me an interview...I had been complete since July, obviously they looked at my application and put it away many times....then I got a surprise interview for the 11th....I was all set to go to Tennessee, and had given up hope on MUSC. And then I got the interview, and I was so excited! I knew it was still a longshot, but it got my hopes all up, and now they are crushed again. I live in Charleston with my long term boyfriend, and all I want in the world is to go to MUSC. I work here, I did all my volunteering here (as well as associated free clinics on John's island). I thought my interviews went really well...I know it is because of my MCAT. Stupid physical sciences section. :(

Does anyone know if they actually reject people post interview? Or if this On Hold e-mail really means there is still hope?

I was rejected post interview last year. Sorry :(

To all that have posted today, are you IS or OOS?

didnt know Wofford was considered as elite as those honor colleges or even furman.

In-State. Actually established residency in South Carolina because I loved MUSC and Charleston so much...I am heartbroken. I feel like I am just going to get rejected, and would rather just have them do it now instead of in April...

In-State. Actually established residency in South Carolina because I loved MUSC and Charleston so much...I am heartbroken. I feel like I am just going to get rejected, and would rather just have them do it now instead of in April...

I know how you feel. Do not despair. God has something in store for you and it is great.

I got rejected by 4 schools last year and reapplied to all 4.

I was rejected post interview last year. Sorry :(

To all that have posted today, are you IS or OOS?

I'm IS and this is my first year applying. Do you mind me asking you when you found out you were rejected? Also, were you able to ask the school what you needed to change/improve with a decent amount of time to actually improve those points before having to reapply?

didnt know Wofford was considered as elite as those honor colleges or even furman.

That's the general consensus. We get a higher point value to our GPA than Furman. Honors Colleges get 0.05 more than Wofford, but I believe that is what the Princeton Review recomends for all public honors colleges. From what the admissions staff at MUSC has said, Wofford students are better prepared for med school than any other in-state school.

That's the general consensus. We get a higher point value to our GPA than Furman. Honors Colleges get 0.05 more than Wofford, but I believe that is what the Princeton Review recomends for all public honors colleges. From what the admissions staff at MUSC has said, Wofford students are better prepared for med school than any other in-state school.

This seems to be true, I still doubt your previous statement, but this bothers me quite a bit. It's hard for me to understand how coming from a certain school gives you that much of an edge for a state medical school. It doesn't necessarily affect me as I was accepted a while back, but it still bothers me. Excellent and poor students can come from any school.
I've interviewed at a few top 15 schools and they seem to place absolutely no emphasis on undergrad institutions. I met people from the most prestigious universities in the country and I'm glad that they didn't have an edge solely because of their undergraduate institution, if that was the case I probably would have never even been invited for interviews at those schools.

Has anyone received info or an invitation to interview for the larger recruitment scholarships? When we got the email, it said Dr. Underwood would contact students by Mid-February.

what email are you talking about?

its my understanding that they just give you a scholarship. you dont need to reinterview or anything

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific. Just the email that Joan sent out with information about the scholarship link and application (it was also mailed I believe once you got an acceptance letter).

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific. Just the email that Joan sent out with information about the scholarship link and application (it was also mailed I believe once you got an acceptance letter).

They're notfitying the receipients next week. The criteria is high mcat/gpa. Source: mrs. Wanda Taylor

Last edited:
*bump- // Has anyone heard anything recently?? Is it true we should get a Yes/No by the end of March or will it be closer to April 14th??

They're notfitying the receipients next week. The criteria is high mcat/gpa. Source: mrs. Wanda Taylor

Recipients of what? A friend didn't find out he haf a full scholarship to musc last year until may

Recipients of what? A friend didn't find out he haf a full scholarship to musc last year until may

Recruitment scholarships. They also award other scholarships later on. If you were accepted you received an email with this info.

Were you a recipient? If you don't mind sharing, would you give some info on the scholarship and your stats?

Just curious bc my mcat and gpa are pretty good and you listed those two as the criteria according to mrs. Taylor.

Send me a pm if you prefer that. Thanks!

Were you a recipient? If you don't mind sharing, would you give some info on the scholarship and your stats?

Just curious bc my mcat and gpa are pretty good and you listed those two as the criteria according to mrs. Taylor.

Send me a pm if you prefer that. Thanks!

They have not awarded them yet. I called last week and Mrs. Wanda Taylor said that Dr. Underwood was out of town. He's the one to make the calls, and so according to my last conversation with her, it is supposed to happen this week.

Like I said, high MCAT/GPA is the combo. I'm not sure what the cut-off is.

If you're still curious just call or email Mrs. Taylor, I'm sure she'd answer whatever questions you may have.

Also, I have no clue how generous these scholarships are, so if you do call or email her, you should ask. lol I didn't want to bring that up.

Last edited:
I think the recruitment scholarships are, as the name implies, to recruit candidates who may have more options due to high stats (mcat/gpa). Sort of as an incentive. I'm not sure though, I'm just going by the name, the criteria, and the fact that they are awarded separately from the rest of the scholarships.

Don't quote me on any of this though, because like I said, I'm just going by the name and then making assumptions.

My buddy heard about the deans award in may. Maybe somebody dropped so that's why it was so late?

He had awesome stats to be an alternate though.. 38/4.0

My buddy heard about the deans award in may. Maybe somebody dropped so that's why it was so late?

He had awesome stats to be an alternate though.. 38/4.0

Was he a resident of South Carolina? Are they reserved to only in-staters?
Thanks for the answers guys, MUSC is one of my top picks for next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.