2010-2011 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still haven't gotten this secondary but I was verified back on 6/25. I've received secondaries from other schools right when they came out. Should I email them or just wait?
 
Ugh, for the "if you could talk to the admissions committee..." question, I'm having some trouble answering without wanting to repeat stuff from the earlier questions, specifically by not mentioning some of the qualities I described in the first essay. Also doesn't help that the web site randomly didn't save everything I did for the last 20 minutes 🙁
 
I called about the letters, they are waiting a day or two before they start downloading letters

Good to hear, because I was considering calling them to ask since its one of the first secondaries I submitted. I'd already called/emailed like 5 other schools to find out if I was complete yesterday... and I felt pretty annoying by the end of that haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi guys, does anyone have experience with the town of scranton? Driving through it a few months ago, I remember it as being a pretty sleepy/boring place
 
hi guys, does anyone have experience with the town of scranton? Driving through it a few months ago, I remember it as being a pretty sleepy/boring place

Yes you got a pretty accurate description of Scranton right there! I live about 90min away in Lehigh County, PA which is similar so I can't complain. Scranton is small but not too small, if you are a big city person I do not recommend the area you will be bored. But it's a great place to live and have a family. PM me if you have any questions
 
Jesus, I sound like douchebag-extraordinaire in that first essay.
 
hi, im still deciding to apply here, but have a question: what legal questions are asked on the secondary if any - i know some schools wish to delve further in to criminal history. thanks


I'm pretty sure almost all school's do a criminal background check, even if they don't specifically ask about misdemeanor/felony convictions on their secondary app. Plus you have to state that anyways in your AMCAS application usually.
 
no my letters havent arrived either. How do we know if our letters have even been released by AMCAS yet? I can only see to what schools they are assigned to, does that mean they have already been released if I am verified already?
 
no my letters havent arrived either. How do we know if our letters have even been released by AMCAS yet? I can only see to what schools they are assigned to, does that mean they have already been released if I am verified already?

If you received an email confirmation from AMCAS saying that they have your letters of evaluation, then I believe it is automatically make available to each school you are applying to. Each school will upload your evaluation letters when they choose to. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Four times. FOUR times. I filled out this stupid secondary FOUR times and every time I hit save....it doesn't save!!!! Blank application!

I'm so over it. Boo Commonwealth, Boo on you.
 
Four times. FOUR times. I filled out this stupid secondary FOUR times and every time I hit save....it doesn't save!!!! Blank application!

I'm so over it. Boo Commonwealth, Boo on you.

I did the same thing, even called them. Don't click "save" hit "save and submit" I felt like such an idiot. Good thing I figured it out without her telling me on the phone.
 
isnt the first two questions kind of similar?

the first one asks how you fit the attributes while the second one basically asks how you fit TCMC's attributes? is that how you guys answered the second question??
 
isnt the first two questions kind of similar?

the first one asks how you fit the attributes while the second one basically asks how you fit TCMC's attributes? is that how you guys answered the second question??

I agree!!! I'm so confused!! 😕
 
i have been verified for 2 weeks (though it seems like way longer lol) and have not heard a peep from this school. it's too early to worry ... right?
 
I submitted my secondary but I'm not sure where to pay the secondary fee. I also checked my status and it doesn't say that my secondary has been received. Anyone know how to pay the fee? Thanks.
 
I submitted everything to them on July 6th and still have not been confirmed!

"Please send in your Letters of Recommendation/Evaluation"

😕

I have tried to call them several times over the past few weeks and I only get a voice mail from admissions. I left a message in vain. I also emailed them!

Please, keep us all posted on anyone being confirmed!
 
I submitted everything to them on July 6th and still have not been confirmed!

"Please send in your Letters of Recommendation/Evaluation"

😕

I have tried to call them several times over the past few weeks and I only get a voice mail from admissions. I left a message in vain. I also emailed them!

Please, keep us all posted on anyone being confirmed!

haven't tried calling them, but they have been very response via email. [email protected]

i asked them about LORs 2 weeks ago and they said they should be pulling them that week, but my guess is that they haven't yet.
 
Is there a glitch with my application..or is this "explain your experiences that demonstrate the five attributes essay" really short. I cant write more than like two sentences on each attribute. Is it only me..or do they really want us to just mention the experience in a sentence ot two?
 
Finally marked complete (received an email and checked my status too). Not sent to the committee for evaluation yet though...
 
Finally marked complete (received an email and checked my status too). Not sent to the committee for evaluation yet though...

Received that email last week and it still doesn't say on my status that it was sent to the committee... Slow...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted earlier today, I really like this school and its community integration aspects. I feel like the essays made me sound like I was blowing smoke about myself and my interest in them, but I guess that's how everybody's will sound given the prompts and the limited space.

Best of luck to everyone!
 
I wouldn't worry so much about your statuses. The MSAR says TCMC's earliest secondary filing date is August 1, making Monday, August 2 the earliest date they probably started downloading letters, downloading your essays, etc.
 
My status now says that it went to committee for review yesterday! Hope this doesn't take too long!!!
 
From the "complete" email:

"We anticipate offering upwards from 400 interviews this season. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be contacted immediately via email with instructions for arranging a date and time. All others will be given notification within two weeks of reviewing your application."

So does this mean that once our apps are "sent to screeners", we will know within two weeks if we are getting interviewed or rejected? Yikes! I really don't like it when schools make decisions to reject people so early. Much better when they claim to continually re-evaluate apps throughout the cycle.
 
My secondary was marked complete this week (I had submitted with my letter in July). How long does it normally take to be sent to the screeners?
 
How strongly do they prefer those with ties to Pennsylvania/Scranton? I don't have any at all and I'm wondering if it's too late to try and apply here since it's not as early in the process anymore. I have a 28Q 3.5 uBCPM, 3.7 uCum and 4.0 for both in regards to grad school (in which I earned an MS in bio). Advice?
 
I've read in earlier posts that the character limit is 1,111. But when I c/p my essay for the 2nd question, it said I had a character limit of 1,555. Anyone else encounter this? I hope they didn't cut my essay short. So for those who had the 1,111 warning, were all those characters within the box given with no scrollbar to the right?
 
For the first question, are people transitioning between each experience? I feel like since there's limited space, listing the experiences would give me the most characters to concentrate on the experiences. On the other hand writing like this sounds very choppy. What does everyone think?
 
Does anyone have the MSAR book 2011-2012, and from it know what the school's accepted scores ranging from the 10th percentile to the 90th percentile?
 
anyone get the "have to resubmit secondary application because our IT department had an unforseen problem" email?
 
Also wondering about the ties to Penn thing... I have ties to the northeast, but I'm a Canadian. Do they only accept US citizens? I can't seem to find it on the website. I'd like to add this school but I'm worried that this is a bit late..
 
Has anyone's application been sent to to the review committee? I have been complete for a while but my application hasn't been sent for review yet.
 
I got the email too. Do you think it's a sinister trick to see if we have the same answer as two months ago?
 
How strongly do they prefer those with ties to Pennsylvania/Scranton? I don't have any at all and I'm wondering if it's too late to try and apply here since it's not as early in the process anymore. I have a 28Q 3.5 uBCPM, 3.7 uCum and 4.0 for both in regards to grad school (in which I earned an MS in bio). Advice?

anyone have some insight?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone's application been sent to to the review committee? I have been complete for a while but my application hasn't been sent for review yet.

yeah bogg. same position. i called back awhile ago. basically what was happening was their computer system/something with IT was messing up a lot of the secondaries that were submitted. so it's just taken them time to fix everything. everyone just needs to be patient b/c they're fixing the problem or by the looks of it they have fixed it.
 
I got the email too. Do you think it's a sinister trick to see if we have the same answer as two months ago?

I think admission committees barely have time to review the applications one, let alone comb through two copies looking for mismatches.
 
The "oops" email just hit my inbox a half hour ago. And here I was, thinking I was one of the lucky ones whose secondaries wasn't wiped out by their glitch... 🙁
 
The "oops" email just hit my inbox a half hour ago. And here I was, thinking I was one of the lucky ones whose secondaries wasn't wiped out by their glitch... 🙁

haha yeah daisy. i was hoping too that i wouldn't have to resubmit, but i think the majority of applicants had to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.