2010-2011 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a glitch with my application..or is this "explain your experiences that demonstrate the five attributes essay" really short. I cant write more than like two sentences on each attribute. Is it only me..or do they really want us to just mention the experience in a sentence ot two?

I asked the admission office, they said the character limit for each essay is 1555. A pretty random number I suppose.
 
Just an FYI. TCMC upgraded their website right around the time this started happening. I'm going to guess they also upgraded their system. This gives the usual, and unfortunate, glitches. I've met one of their IT guys. He's nice, personable, knowledgeable. For those starting to apply, I like the poster who saved all the answers and then had to cut and paste. Smart move. I recommend doing that for all future applicants, regardless of when the glitches are removed. It seems to make sense in this technological age. TCMC admissions people are pretty solid about reviewing their apps in a timely manner. These people aim to please, are trying to finalize accreditations, and have extremely top-notch protocols in place. Are they perfect? No. We are an example of what they are trying to do to improve the system (my son, and all of you new applicants). Be patient. Eventually the system will work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those whose applications have been complete, have they been sent to the screener for evaluation yet?

I've been complete for quite some time, but still have no indication that my application's been sent for review. Maybe they're just not updating the status page.
 
i have been stalking these threads for ages, and finally decided to get involved =) everyone seems awesome!

got invited for an interview today! complete 8/26, sent to screeners 9/01. They work fast 🙂

i never got an email so definitely keep checking your status pages!
 
i have been stalking these threads for ages, and finally decided to get involved =) everyone seems awesome!

got invited for an interview today! complete 8/26, sent to screeners 9/01. They work fast 🙂

i never got an email so definitely keep checking your status pages!

Wow. Congratulations. I wonder what methodology they follow since I've been complete for over a month and my app hasn't been sent to the screeners.
 
Wow. Congratulations. I wonder what methodology they follow since I've been complete for over a month and my app hasn't been sent to the screeners.

I think they might be looking at the people with Pennsylvania ties first? I'm OOS but go to college in Pennsylvania...but don't quote me on this, it is just a guess!
 
I've lived here like forever, I can pretty see their campus from my house. And I did my college here too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys - got an interview invite this past Thursday via email update. The available dates were Sept. 10, Sept. 17, Sept. 24. I am out of state, below average GPA (<3.6) and 30 MCAT. Resubmitted 8/27, Complete 8/30.
 
Hey guys - got an interview invite this past Thursday via email update. The available dates were Sept. 10, Sept. 17, Sept. 24. I am out of state, below average GPA (<3.6) and 30 MCAT. Resubmitted 8/27, Complete 8/30.

Thanks! That's crazy, the interview dates seem too close from today... or thursday
 
Hey guys - got an interview invite this past Thursday via email update. The available dates were Sept. 10, Sept. 17, Sept. 24. I am out of state, below average GPA (<3.6) and 30 MCAT. Resubmitted 8/27, Complete 8/30.

nice! when are you interviewing? i am september 17th =)
 
Hey guys - got an interview invite this past Thursday via email update. The available dates were Sept. 10, Sept. 17, Sept. 24. I am out of state, below average GPA (<3.6) and 30 MCAT. Resubmitted 8/27, Complete 8/30.

Congrats on the invites, Tiger and Lorbis! I hope mine is on its way! Lorbis, did your status page indicate that you were sent to screeners or did you just get an interview out of the blue? Good luck, guys!
 
Timeline:

Submitted 8/27
Application Complete 8/30
Application sent to screeners 8/30
Interview 9/02

Thanks for the congrats! 🙂 Tiger: I am on the 17th too in the afternoon! I need to properly gather myself so I opted for NOT NEXT FRIDAY. 😱
 
Timeline:

Submitted 8/27
Application Complete 8/30
Application sent to screeners 8/30
Interview 9/02

Thanks for the congrats! 🙂 Tiger: I am on the 17th too in the afternoon! I need to properly gather myself so I opted for NOT NEXT FRIDAY. 😱

haha sooo weird lorbis, these interviews are wayyy too soon. makes me wonder why tcmc is doing this so soon when they just fixed their IT problem.
 
I am extremely jealous of you people getting invited same day. I am in state, been complete since 8/13 and have not been sent to screeners yet. Should I be worried?
 
I am extremely jealous of you people getting invited same day. I am in state, been complete since 8/13 and have not been sent to screeners yet. Should I be worried?

I think worrying might be premature, because it is still very early!
 
Timeline:

Submitted 8/27
Application Complete 8/30
Application sent to screeners 8/30
Interview 9/02

Thanks for the congrats! 🙂 Tiger: I am on the 17th too in the afternoon! I need to properly gather myself so I opted for NOT NEXT FRIDAY. 😱

hahahah same i just moved back into school and classes start this week-- definitely no need to add more stress than that haha =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lizzyM's medical school spreadsheet does not have stats for this school yet. can someone tell me if this school takes many out of staters?

http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000162
Is TCMC a public or private Medical School?
We are a private medical school located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. We do give preference to PA residents however we accept applications from qualified residents throughout the United States.
 
Interview invite this morning. I had to resubmit my secondary like many people, so I guess I was complete mid-August. OOS, 3.0 sGPA with solid upward trend, 3.5 cGPA, 34 MCAT. If my stats don't give you hope, nothing will :laugh:
 
Mine still not sent to screeners for evaluation! I hope there are interview spots left when they start evaluating my app!
 
I'm thinking about adding TCMC to my AMCAS but my MCAT isn't that great. My GPA is good, but not amazing. I did finish an SMP with a Masters of Science in Bio with a 4.0 GPA though. However, I have no ties to Pensylvania whatsoever. Do you guys think I still have a chance? Is it too late to submit my application to them? I know the earlier the better and it's already september 8th 🙁
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking about adding TCMC to my AMCAS but my MCAT isn't that great (28Q). My GPA is good, but not amazing (cGPA 3.7, sGAP 3.5). I did finish an SMP with a Masters of Science in Bio with a 4.0 GPA though. However, I have no ties to Pensylvania whatsoever. Do you guys think I still have a chance? Is it too late to submit my application to them? I know the earlier the better and it's already september 8th 🙁

I have low stats and no PA ties and I got an interview. I'd say go for it. I see you copy-pasting this post in a few other med school forums (Jeff and NYMC)... did you just list way too few schools in your AMCAS?
 
I have low stats and no PA ties and I got an interview. I'd say go for it. I see you copy-pasting this post in a few other med school forums (Jeff and NYMC)... did you just list way too few schools in your AMCAS?

Ah...you caught me, lol. I figured I might get some more responses if I actually posted in the school respective threads instead of on the general Pre-med page. I applied to 7 MD schools, 1 of which only favors those with southern/central illinois ties, which I don't have. They didn't even send me a secondary so I'm counting that school out. So really 6 MD schools. So I feel like it is too few.
 
Ah...you caught me, lol. I figured I might get some more responses if I actually posted in the school respective threads instead of on the general Pre-med page. I applied to 7 MD schools, 1 of which only favors those with southern/central illinois ties, which I don't have. They didn't even send me a secondary so I'm counting that school out. So really 6 MD schools. So I feel like it is too few.

Yeah, I'd add a few. This process is nutty and it's hard to figure out which schools will like you. I don't think it's necessarily too late to add more schools, just make sure you return them as quickly as you can. Best of luck to you.
 
Interview Invite today:
7/4 AMCAS received
8/24 Secondary received (after a resubmission because of the technical problems)
8/26 Complete
9/2 Sent to screeners
9/8 Interview invite
9/24 Interview at 3
 
Mine still not sent to screeners for evaluation! I hope there are interview spots left when they start evaluating my app!

me too 😡 complete since 8/10 and still not sent to be evaluated, gah!!

On the bright side - if it hasn't been evaluated, we're technically still in good standing and still have a good chance at an interview. good luck! :xf:
 
Wow, they really are fast here once the app goes to screeners. They have the interview decision out only 2-3 business days after.
 
Wow, they really are fast here once the app goes to screeners. They have the interview decision out only 2-3 business days after.

Not for everyone lol. Mine has been marked as sent to screeners for maybe a week and a half I think.
 
same here sedaniel...I figure that they must be swamped with applications because of all the resubmissions. No rejection though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
getting a little worried, my application has been at the screeners since august 20th.... it seems like everyone here had a 6-8 day turnaround on that
 
Interviewing 10am on Fri Sept 17th. I saw one post that mentioned a 2 person interview, does that mean two applicants or two interviewers?
 
Interviewing 10am on Fri Sept 17th. I saw one post that mentioned a 2 person interview, does that mean two applicants or two interviewers?

Two interviewers. Congrats on the invite! If you don't mind, when were you sent to screeners? I assume you were invited Thursday. Best of luck!
 
Hey guys,

I'm interviewing the 17th as well. Where are you guys staying? I tried to email them about student housing and they said they would pass my info to some students, but unfortunately nobody got back to me yet and so I figure its best to book a place tomorrow.

I'm flying out from california and getting in thursday night around 6pm. lets hang out yeahhh?

stats for those curious:
first mcat: 28S, second mcat: 32Q
sgpa: 3.73, cgpa 3.77
oos (california)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.