2010-2011 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waitlists must start moving tomorrow...hopefully! Let's post if anyone gets a call? yes?

I expect that only a few if any will be accepted from the waitlist this year. When the PSP emails went out, they sent it to some 288 people who had been accepted. For a class of 160! So more than 128 people would have to drop their spot for the waitlist to open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering... theoretically what happens if more than the usual 160 still want to go to Maryland out of those 288 that were accepted

Just wondering... theoretically what happens if more than the usual 160 still want to go to Maryland out of those 288 that were accepted

In that case University of Maryland might be screwed. This actually happened to UVA last year. They oversubscribed as most schools usually do, but then not as many people withdrew as they would have expected. I believe they ended up offering people free tuition to start the MPH program and enter in the following year's med school class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we have to put down a deposit now that May 15th has passed? I have gotten/ accepted all my financial aid and received the letter confirming that my spot in the class is held, but I'm not sure if there is anything else we have to do. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know if we have to put down a deposit now that May 15th has passed? I have gotten/ accepted all my financial aid and received the letter confirming that my spot in the class is held, but I'm not sure if there is anything else we have to do. Thanks for your help!

University of Maryland doesn't require a deposit.

I expect that only a few if any will be accepted from the waitlist this year. When the PSP emails went out, they sent it to some 288 people who had been accepted. For a class of 160! So more than 128 people would have to drop their spot for the waitlist to open up.

I found out yesterday from a friend who is an M1 at Maryland that Foxwell told another M1 that there were 220 people subscribed for the class so far. The extra 70 or so on that e-mail may have been administrators, proffs, TAs or whoever else...hopefully.

I found out yesterday from a friend who is an M1 at Maryland that Foxwell told another M1 that there were 220 people subscribed for the class so far. The extra 70 or so on that e-mail may have been administrators, proffs, TAs or whoever else...hopefully.

I'm pretty sure they were all accepted students, but, they sent that email in March, so many people would have dropped since then. Are there 220 people holding spots right now? That's too large of a class.

In that case University of Maryland might be screwed. This actually happened to UVA last year. They oversubscribed as most schools usually do, but then not as many people withdrew as they would have expected. I believe they ended up offering people free tuition to start the MPH program and enter in the following year's med school class.

foxwell has been doing this for something like 20 years. I really doubt trends are going to shift that much this year that somehow he's got 60 xtra kids ready to start ms1 in august. from our perspective, it seems freaking tough to guess/know how many students accept/decline, but his experience helps.

Based on last year's thread when May 15th was a Saturday and the first acceptance was posted on the 20th, tomorrow should be the start of the long awaited acceptance phone calls if the pattern holds true.

As soon as anyone's been accepted off of the waitlist, please let the rest of us know.

Thank you.

I don't ever write on SDN but I felt like I should this time because I know how it feels to want to know any information available to you when it comes to applications...

I actually got a call from my interviewer on May 16th that I was accepted off the waitlist. I got the package on the 17th, and got my confirmation mail today. I got the financial aid e-mail on the 20th. So I just wanted to let you guys know that the wait list has officially begun to move.

I wish you all the best and don't give up hope :)

Does anyone know specific dates for when school starts? I know aug 11 is orientation/registration but when do classes start, white coat, etc?

I don't ever write on SDN but I felt like I should this time because I know how it feels to want to know any information available to you when it comes to applications...

I actually got a call from my interviewer on May 16th that I was accepted off the waitlist. I got the package on the 17th, and got my confirmation mail today. I got the financial aid e-mail on the 20th. So I just wanted to let you guys know that the wait list has officially begun to move.

I wish you all the best and don't give up hope :)

Just wondering when you interviewed - are interviewers still involved in the process at this point?

@comeonnow: I think the interviewers are probably not so much involved in the process anymore but I can't say I'm certain. All I can say is that perhaps I got a call from my interviewer only because they work in the admissions office and wanted to let me know before sending out the mail packet.

Oh and I interviewed way back in September.

Anyways, Don't give up hope! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the deal? Is the waitlist hardly moving or are people just not posting their acceptances?

So what's the deal? Is the waitlist hardly moving or are people just not posting their acceptances?

I think there is little waitlist movement. Everyone I know on the WL hasn't heard anything.

I think there is little waitlist movement. Everyone I know on the WL hasn't heard anything.

OK i have a couple answers.

1. Yes the waitlist is moving. people have been accepted off the waitlist this past week.

2. "tentative schedule" (it's published with that title): orientation starts aug 11, and technically it goes through to aug 15th (theres a weekend in there). then there's a week of fluff classes (introduction to clinical medicine lectures, maybe a shadowing day). Structure & Development (what maryland calls the combo of anatomy, histology and embryology) starts officially the 22nd. That's when **** hits the fan.

3. white coat: at maryland, you dont just get a white coat for being accepted and starting. you need to finish anatomy! so s&d's final exam is monday oct 31st. I imagine the white coat ceremony will be that week. If i remember correctly, we had ours on a thursday...

Congrats to all you accepted guys, I hope to be in your shoes in a few years.

From all of your interviews/interactions with the school, do they emphasize upper level bio classes during undergrad?

As a nontrad adding classes is adding time but I've read of it coming up as an issue in interviews for people that just took the minimum two semesters and I was wondering if that's been an issue at Maryland.

Just got in off the waitlist. Very excited and relieved (it's my only acceptance).

Letter was dated 6/6, interviewed 3/9. No call or email (at least not yet), just the letter. I was in the top half of the waiting list.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

Congrats to all you accepted guys, I hope to be in your shoes in a few years.

From all of your interviews/interactions with the school, do they emphasize upper level bio classes during undergrad?

As a nontrad adding classes is adding time but I've read of it coming up as an issue in interviews for people that just took the minimum two semesters and I was wondering if that's been an issue at Maryland.

From my dealings with all med schools (not just UMD) they emphasize doing what makes you happy and doing well at it. For example, if you have to choose between taking a biochem class and a poetry class in your major that you really want to take, go with the poetry. Chances are you will enjoy it more and will do better at it. Remember, it is always better to get an A in a class you enjoy than get a C in something because you think med schools want you to have it.

Upper level bio classes are great for the people who love bio and therefore want to study bio, they aren't for everyone. For example, I was a bio major because I really liked the material. Will there be some overlap between what I learned in undergrad and what will be covered in med school? Probably. But making yourself miserable for 4 years in college because you think med schools want a particular type of applicant is stupid. Make sure you have the basic pre-reqs and then major in what you want/ do what you want. Interviewers will talk to you about your interests. If that is research, then you will spend a fair amount of time talking about what research you did. If your interest is theater, you will talk about that.

I think if you do well enough on your pre-reqs, this won't be too much of an issue. Upper level bio classes become important to "show" the school that previous lackluster grades in intro classes really don't demonstrate your potential. But if you see an uper level bio class that interests you - take it!

Just got in off the waitlist. Very excited and relieved (it's my only acceptance).

Letter was dated 6/6, interviewed 3/9. No call or email (at least not yet), just the letter. I was in the top half of the waiting list.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

Congratulations! Thank you for posting this, it gives me hope to hear that the waitlist is moving.

What ever happened to that update email that Maryland said they'd send out in mid June? I would really like to hear how many people have gotten in off the waitlist and how many people are left of the list at this point.

I called them on Thursday and was told that before the end of June an email update would be sent out.

Hey, just wondering if someone can tell me when orientation/classes start for first year students this year? (trying to get an idea of when the latest possible date that I might still get accepted is ....) Thanks.

Orientation starts August 11th, ICM starts August 16th. I'm not sure if ICM is still considered part of "orientation" or start of classes, or when the latest an acceptance can be given for that matter. Otherwise, S&D starts August 22nd.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.